Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Man on TV posted:

Those moments are precious, luckily a goon was able to pull it off and catch it on fraps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YKFiQQblsU
From the weirdass butterface on "the lady in red who designed our sonderful new logo", I was certain that she was a goon plant and that there'd be some godawful picture UNDER the curtain as well..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ephrum posted:

More drama generated from my wiki leak.
[/url]
Cute, although I'm not really down with what I'm assuming is that jackass' real email address, phone number, and address being posted all over it. Mostly it just seems like this Seanieb guy has an issue with getting the last word, over and over and over and over..

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 16, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

But I liked the wording anyways so I took it. Mulligan is such a great word.
I'm a big fan of some words.

Like: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hey+farva

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Phenotype posted:

The first option here tried to install fake antivirus software on my computer by pretending to be a window of my own antivirus software.

I never saw Super Troopers. :(
That sucks, sorry. You really should watch the movie. It's one of those comedies that's hard to NOT like.

I actually went to a dinner party the other day, and one part of the conversation was 3 generations of my family quoting Super Troopers and telling the one person who'd never seen it to go find it ASAP.

It's probably on Netflix instant.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shumagorath posted:

Man, I bought BF2 for that gun. Why do they always make it suck in everything except Splinter Cell?

The guy who wrote the article complains about 12-year olds but his bio pic puts him at no older than 14.
Ha you're right, he's not old enough to smoke.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

clamiam posted:

Now that I think of it, my dad is really good at unintentional griefing. When I go back home to visit him, he'll often walk into a room where my brother or I are playing a game and start asking questions: "What does that do?" "Who's that guy?" "What's happened so far?". I appreciate that he likes spending time with us and just wants to make conversation, but on the other hand he is almost completely gaming-illiterate.

Probably the best example of this is when he tries to make suggestions. "Why don't you try doing X?", he'll say. I then start thinking of what to say in reply, and realize that in order to explain why there's a 99% chance his suggestion wouldn't work, I'd have to explain all the conventions of an entire genre of games to him, the special conventions of the particular game I'm playing, and all the background that's led up to the point I'm playing right now. I usually simply say "OK", or just say nothing at all.
Heh, my dad's worse because he makes me :kratos: while watchnig him play, but it's HIS XBox, and HIS atrocious bargain-bin games. The thing that kills me is that he becomes functionally retarded as soon as he picks up a controller, and the main time my mom lets him play games is when I'm visiting..

:crossarms: "Okay dad, see that door in front of you? Walk up to it and hit A like the last 20 doors."

:downs: "Which one's A?" *throws his character into a spin so rapid it makes you dizzy*

:crossarms: "A's the green button, dad. Green for "Go," B for "Cancel," remember me telling you this 6,000 times?"

:downs: "Okay!" *jumps off ledge by hitting left shoulder bumper*

The worst part is that he's much, much better at anything resembling a puzzle game than I am - he beat Myst and every sequel, among other games. But even in a THIRD PERSON game, he still can't figure out which way he's looking, or whether it's a floor, wall, ceiling, or gibbering alien shooting pulses of flashing purple light.. :smithicide:

Two weekends ago I spent most of an hour watching him try to deal with the first zero-gravity section in Dead Space, until I finally picked up the controller, spun 180 degrees, and leapt directly through the door he'd been spinning in circles (despite me pointing my finger at the screen from 3 feet away) trying to find, and handed it back to him. Then I went and got a drink.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 22, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snatch Duster posted:

No offense but you come across like a petty dick. I can understand helping some one that is terrible at anything can be frustrating when they make no signs of progress, but gently caress. That goes beyond being frustrated straight into mean spirited with a hint of superiority complex. I WAS SO MAD I LEFT AND GOT A COKE.
No offense but you come across like a judgmental rear end. I can understand feeling superior to someone on an internet forum because you feel that you're a veritable rock of patience and understanding, but gently caress. That goes beyond being "holier than thou" and straight into mean spirited with a hint of superiority - oh wait, no, it's exactly the same thing as holier than thou. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'D FEEL SUPERIOR AND POST IT.

Edit: to contribute, I made a thread because I'd like to hear some more stories of people who lose patience at other people's (lack of) playskill. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257906

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 23, 2010

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

My dad

Che Delilas posted:

My dad

Soulex posted:

My dad
I made a thread because I wanna hear more of these.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257906

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gazpacho posted:

As far as I know, they fully accepted it as part of their roleplay.

Che Delilas posted:

You were just too in-character. If you really want to grief people who love Avatar enough to roleplay as its characters, you'll want to attack the reasons behind that adoration.

For example, create the most hideous, caricaturized Na'vi character model you're capable of making
Not bad but you're trying too hard. Just find some OTHER villainous character who is well known for hunting blue aliens. Then arm HIM with a shotgun and kill Na'Vi.

For one example, a 20-foot tall one of these with a street sweeper might do the trick:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mcvey posted:

Those lvl 20s probably all have 3 or 4 lvl80s or whatever the max is now.
There's actually a really huge number of people who never bought any of the expansions, so they really are stuck in STV.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blarticus posted:

Almost as funny as repeatedly using your healthkit on someone else right when they're trying to get in the safe room or do anything important really
If you're gonna repeat something that has already been posted, would you mind at least posting stuff that's not on the same page?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jadz posted:

That game used to grief the everloving poo poo out of me.

Day 16
"Attempt to ford the river failed. Sally drowned. You lost three oxen. You lost 23 pounds of food. You lost 42 rounds of ammo. You lost a spare wagon wheel."

Day 24
"Jacob was bitten by a snake. Jacob died."

Day 43
"Timmy has contracted dysintery. Timmy died."

Day 50
"A wagon wheel has broken. You have no spares."

:suicide:
Despite spending most of my formative years in Oregon (and being a good student!) I have absolutely no idea how long it took to follow the Oregon Trail.

I did learn that every settler should have brought 10,000 rounds of ammunition, three spares of everything, and shoot every four-legged creature you see despite being unable to use it. Most settlers' families died on the trail while the family head was out hunting rabbits for no reason.

Also, BOOBS has died of dysentery.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vanguard Warden posted:

Demon's Souls is a pretty good game, just for finally letting me realize my fantasy of dual-wielding tower shields.
They shamelessly stole the idea from a large number of roguelikes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

poop posted:

I was playing second life when I happened to stumble across Pandora. Soon I found myself a beautiful Na'vi man, and we floated through a beautiful ocean. I must have done something wrong though as he got really mad when he got back!

You kinda look like my Commander Shepard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kerbtree posted:

Or for casting on the monster, before it was removed, maximum rank Curse of Recklessness would give enough AP to a low level monster to handily kick the shite out of most similar-level players, and had the bonus of not flagging for you PvP.
This was excellent to use on people who'd tag+train all the enemies in a zone and then solo them all without allowing anyone else to get their quests done.. A warrior fighting 5 monsters that're laughably easy will die VERY quickly when the enemies all start doing 50% more damage and hitting more often.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Endorph posted:

Curse of Recklessness was such a terrible idea, I'm amazed it took them so long to remove. I don't think I saw anyone use that spell for anything but griefing.
Actually CoR is a really useful spell in a lot of situations, and (at least when I was still playing,) in a large raid it would give a much higher ROI (dps-wise) than a damage over time curse, since the amount of armor class it reduced would give melee classes a large boost and most raid bosses' damage output calculations don't gain such a boost against a raid-geared Tank with dedicated healers when compared to the huge bump in strength that a murlock would gain from 100 Attack power.

And yeah, the fear immunity was one of the best parts of loving with people via Curse of Recklessness, since a great number of classes didn't really have any way to get monsters off of themselves except with fear. :D

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KGBAgent185 posted:

There was one boss where you could grief the entire raid over Curse of Recklessness though. Broodlord Lashlayer in Blackwing's Lair.

One of his instant attacks was calculated by a multiplicative value of his attack power, and giving him an extra 100 or so would translate into massive hits on your main tanks in a very short time, often times wiping out your tanks for the fight. Causing all 40 people to have to run through a gauntlet of respawning enemies and traps that make everyone walk slower. That part blew so much back in the day.
I posted an account of what happened to my guild during a raid in BWL, earlier in this thread. The hijinx ensued inside "the loving whelp room," and maybe part of the guild leader's reaction was due to the stress of the whelps. Or not. :laugh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post346336089

fakeedit: I seem to've mixed up the zone names in my original post, oh well. BRS and BWL's entrances were so close together that I always mix them up these days.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you really want to grief people in Borderlands, just host a game in Dahl Headlands and start up the quest to kill bandit patrols. NPC vehicle collisions will one-shot any level player, and the REALLY fun part is that even if they're trying to get a second wind and stand back up, if the car hits them while they're on the ground it'll instantly kill them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KillRoy posted:

Age of Conan was a fairly lovely game but was awesome for griefing for the first 20 levels or so.
I thought the best grief in AoC was kicking people off of cliffs with your horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stuntman posted:

Another thing about A Tale In The Desert is that during either the production of concrete or smelting metal (i forget), an item called clinker is produced.
Clinker is the leftover "trash" materials from production processes - namely concrete and smelting. :eng101:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Target Practice posted:

The 59 is a premium tank that cost something like $35 in real money, and couldn't be bought with ingame money.

They all have no lives, and are all definitely human being virgins.

Needless to say, I love driving my 59.
You spent 35 dollars on a tank in a phone game?

You the one 'got griefed, man.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tsurupettan posted:

They were mad because he took control away from them. A lot of people who play that role are control freaks and lose their poo poo if you take control away.
What's that? Main tanks being prima donnas? Well, I never! :ohdear: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=123249#post346336089

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Galick posted:

^^^ Can we get a translation of that for the people who don't play LoL? like me
I think a dude sandabagged and lost the game for his team. Possibly by pretending he couldn't move because he was a tree - but he didn't hide in the jungle/"forest" where you would expect someone to do that when trolling.

Also he did it twice.

I may not be correct, I don't play/speak LoL, it just seems like a basic MOBA so there really aren't too many variations on what one can pull while playing it. Most do involve making your own team suffer though, since it's a pretty touch-and-go MP genre which can't afford someone to be :jerkbag:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So you spent all this time explaining something that you you didn't actually do yourself, but rather just C/P'd off of reddit?

That's a grief in itself, I guess. I mean you definitely made me waste some of my life reading that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thumbtacks posted:

You didn't waste enough time reading it, apparently. The very first thing I said was that I saw it on reddit.
No I got that. You just don't seem to get it. copy pasting a story off of digg/fark/reddit/:jerkbag: is weak poo poo. Tell your own story or at least one you were around to see yourself, or :fuckoff:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Double Monocle posted:

Bringing a knife to a gun fight is the best simply because the person you killed knows you just styled all over them (unless your in some bizarro balance game were melee is actually stronger than your guns)
Seriously though, my favorite FPS kill of all time was leaping off the third floor of a building in MW1 or 2 and stabbing a dude just before I hit the ground and took fatal damage, and then walked away. That poo poo was pretty tricky to do without loving up. :whatup:

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't really give a poo poo that I'm not using a mouse and keyboard and 160-degree view of everything, though.. I just like laying on the couch - if only I could read better at a 45-degree angle, I'd probably own at more RPG type stuff, today..

I recently taught myself to NOT use inverted controls - because my friends hated playing games on my XBox. Took like 3 or 4 days before I was doing jump-headshots again. I like to rub that in when people bitch about controller setting issues - I'm ambidextrous when it comes to inversion settings.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Peta posted:

Going knife in GunZ and suicide-bombing people off cliffs.
Playing GunZ is a grief in itself.

I can't even imagine how terrible it must be these days with K-stylers flying everywhere. It's a shame too, because it's a neat premise and pretty well-executed, outside of the people flying around, nearly immune to being shot before they switch back to their shotgun and mop the floor with you.

• Locked thread