Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For those of you unfamiliar with Second Life, there was a series of 'Second Life Safaris' chronicled on the front page, with some really amusing efforts put forth by the SL goons. The old SL threads here used to be storehouses of hilarity too.

With regards to that last CoH video, it should also be noted that the setting is the place for people to hang out, and where most newbies end up spawning in after character creation. A slaughter of lambs? Oh, yes indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Would hundreds of people in red robes named 'BAJA IS DOWN' popping up in Britain on Lake Superior count as grief, or merely mass stupidity?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
At one point in an earlier ATITD Telling, a foreign NPC popped up, who refused to trade or deal with female characters. That pissed a lot of people off, especially given how egalitarian the game was.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sonny_Crockett posted:

Players could create any kind of nonfunctional item out of a basic 'cloth' object, you'd customize the details of the object for when other people looked at it, or set emotes that could be triggered by it, but no actual code was allowed. So you couldn't create a working gun, but you could create one that when you pulled the trigger, everyone in the room would see a flag come out and go 'bang', etc. One of the roleplayers had created a baby for herself, built out of the generic cloth object. She was getting married to her in-game 'baby daddy'. The wedding was crashed by a PK street gang, and they slaughtered the wedding party. The good bit is; they stole the bride's baby and put it in a vending machine on the main drag, priced at something approaching the sum total of all the money in the economy. So every time the RPer's logged in, they pretty much had to walk past their own child staring out at them from a vending machine.

Oh god, Cybersphere. I remember hearing that story years and years ago.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If you do something, totally innocently and accidentally, is it still grief?

For some reason that escapes me now, I was trying to trigger the CLUCK! quest in WoW. Basically you have to emote /chicken at a certain chicken, which gets it to go friendly to you instead of neutral (and killable). The number of times you have to emote is random, and I watched while this one guy did it for what had to be five minutes.

I'd heard that it was possible to get the quest if someone else got the chicken to go friendly, so as soon as he got it green, I scooted up and clicked on it. Just as I clicked, I realized that my cursor was in combat mode.

"*gack*" goes the chicken.
"YOU PEACE OF poo poo" goes the NE dude who had been chicken-dancing for five minutes.
I was mortified at first, but as soon as he started to scream at me, the whole situation struck me as utterly loving hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

On another occasion, I was in a ten-man raid of Lower Blackrock. This was long before Burning Crusade, so it was still a pretty big deal. It was my first raid, and I had a quest to summon and kill this ogre lord down there. Prior experience taught me that pubbies rarely gave a poo poo about side-quests in dungeons, so I took the initiative and performed the summoning.

Immediately, one of my teammates starts screaming at me.
Ten seconds later, while I'm rolling my eyes at this dork who just won't shut up about my ancestry, the whole team (which had been split) gets steamrolled by an ungodly number of ogre lords.
Then I remembered that while you can trigger quest events while in a raid, you don't get any reward for them. Oops.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Girdox posted:

Only real reward you could give would be forum upgrades

That, or bottles of Jones Soda marked 'Pubbie Tears'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
SL is poorly coded to begin with. Add on top of that absolute tons of player-generated content that's poorly optimized by polygon count, texture size, and internal scripting, then stir.

And yeah, everything that the players create, they own. By LL's own contracts, they'd be in for massive lawsuits if they rebooted everything and restarted from scratch. This is why player-owned content is such a stupendously bad idea for MMOs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure they ban by MAC address, too. Not that it's impossible to get a new IP, or to mask your MAC.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ham-handed hilarity, that's what it is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

mr. nazi posted:

In the early days of Everquest 1, if you right clicked a player it would inspect their equipment. It would also send them a line of text saying "<player> is inspecting your equipment."

There was no end to the amount of anger some people became filled with, just by looking to see what items they had on. On a PVP server, where you could potentially be checking to see if the person is worth killing for one of their items I could understand, but this was a PVE server, they were in no danger.

Wasn't there an item-dupe hack that involved /inspecting someone?

I imagine it was mostly people misunderstanding what was possible on the server, though. Christ, you can cook up a shitstorm by just emoting 'steals 1g from you' in WoW, even though there's no way to actually rob other PCs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Narev posted:

Anyway, Ariel held a large event for her debut as a stripper, attended by a number of players and Immortal run NPCs.

I've been playing MU* and MMOs since the late Nineties, and this is still the saddest loving thing that I have ever read in relation to any of them. Ye loving gods.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm an unabashed Trammelite, but ye gods. Insurance? It's not like the bank-sitters actually needed those scrolls for farming anything they'd find in the land of the care bears. If they were weekend Fellucites, they should bloody know how to handle themselves there.

Good job on that one.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Raiche posted:

I had a reputation as one of the more creative programmers for quests, so I spent a great chunk of time getting him just right. He played darts and armwrestled, and would keep a running tally of wins and pay out accordingly, sometimes quite a nice sum. Except not with girls.

You'd get along famously with Teppic, lead developer of A Tale in the Desert. He dropped a sexist 'foreign trader' NPC into one of the earlier iterations of the game, and the players went absolutely bugfuck.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
:ssh: SynthOrange is the perpetrator of that LP.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

Then he'd type out, "Wheeeeeeee!"

This is one of the funniest loving things to have ever come out of City of Foozles.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FebrezeNinja posted:

To contribute to the thread, when you're playing CoD4(360) in a party, change your clan tag to [M16]. We had three different clan groups ragequit on us before even getting a game started.

What's the story behind this?

Oh wait, I see. Yahoo Answers tells all. Now that's loving funny.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It probably helps a little that the Fursecutors operated on Virtue, which was the self-designated RP server. The average Virtuite has no sense of humour, an extraordinarily strong persecution complex (on account of being gay, furry, a pederast or some combination of the previous), and a predilection toward cybersex.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
One of my first experiences in Independence Port was walking into the science enhancements shop and seeing a Sky Raider flying around at the ceiling and attacking anyone who came in.

Changes to Teleport Foe came fairly soon after that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FamDav posted:

This is not a grief, my friend.

This is the meek rallying behind the strength of a hero.

And this is God's own truth.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before, but from my perspective as a professional MMO carebear, the guild that held that funeral was panting and begging for it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

Sewing Kits

Didn't they end up making it impossible to use those bags for non-trade storage, or that they'd make them empty on logout?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

apekillape posted:

"bottleguy.jpg? What's that? Better hop over to Google Image Search...AUGH!"

I have just been griefed by this thread.

I'm imagining filling the bottle with vinegar and baking soda, and turning it into a cannon.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Phuzzy posted:

When did this start?

Maybe a year or so ago? Someone did an expose on this sort of poo poo-- I can't remember if it was the Safari, or if it was Warren Ellis, or if it was someone else entirely, but LL came down on it like a ton of virtual bricks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That second life thing is hilarious. Nothing will come of it, but it's still hilarious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

I'm really embarrassed for this guy

I'm not. He sounds like the dumbfuck who pulled lovely griefs in City of Heroes and tried to pass that off as a research paper too. Dian Fossey, he wasn't.

And christ. Even furries hate furries that call people 'hy00mans'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that guy actually said 'rofl' halfway through the clip.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I'm giggling like a schoolgirl.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Yer a wizzerd, smoke monster!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

Ming

You should have made a video out of that, just to spite him.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
A suicide threat is a call for help. If they're serious, a call to their local cops will get them the help they need. If they're loving with you, a call to their local cops will more than likely make sure that they never pull that kind of poo poo again. If not the cops, then being away from their internet spaceships for a few days while they're under evaluation.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Does this help?

They finally sent a poet.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Probably because drunks would be too apt to wander off or just curl up and nap.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a risk with sober people during Arkham Horror too. We lost three people out of five that way last time we played, and the first was gone before the dude who owned it got through his eight-page printed flowchart that explains the rules "better" than the published rulebook.

Basically asking people to play Arkham Horror counts as griefing.

Played straight, it gives me flashbacks to Axis and Allies in high school. Not the stock A&A board and rules, but this terrifyingly detailed and expanded 'World at War' scenario that, like Arkham Horror, probably means that the baddies are going to win in the end.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

This happened for like a day and then Blizzard backed off, claiming they deal with Goldshire in more subtle ways.

Goldshire endures.

As I recall it worked once... and then the next time, the ERPists brought their max-level alts in and wrecked the invaders as they spawned.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I will never cease to be amazed by the carebears, ERPers and generic idiots who wander into a HellMOO based game and expect to not be mercilessly killed by a TV thrown from several rooms away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Back in the WoW-days, when everyone crammed into Ironforge because it was the only Allied auction house, there was this Horde dude who'd come by every so often. You'd know he was there because he dipped into the sub-zone just far enough to /shout 'K E K' a few dozen times, to annoy people trying to hawk services or cyber or whatever. I've no idea how he dodged the guards, but anyway.

Dude was definitely not a priest, which I think is part of why people fell for the second phase of his gimmick. As far as I remember, he was a shaman... a shaman wearing a gnomish mind control helmet. Yeah. Whenever he got bored with dueling some indignant Ally, he'd put the whammy on them and march 'em straight off the cliffs in front of Ironforge.

• Locked thread