Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, but they made a miniature XT-002 (giant robot raid boss) minipet you could buy in the Blizzard Store that destroys trains, other toy robots, toy cars, basically anything a player puts out. And when he does it, he yelled one of his aggro phrases across the zone. It was glorious until they nerfed it.

You can still hear him sometimes, though. Best toy robot ever. :unsmith:

I wish I'd grabbed one before they ruined it. It would've made the alt I use to run Reported even more annoying.

The trade chatroom in WoW is great for trolling while running chat add-ons like Reported and Goblin Therapist (A WoW version of the Eliza-style chat programs, although it interacts with private messages instead of the channels). I once watched another player interact with my Goblin Therapist add-on for five minutes, teaching it about the Cthulhu Mythos. He never caught on, even though Reported was professing its love for all things Glenn Beck in trade at the same time as our private conversation. Trolling in trade is the lowest of all low hanging fruit, do it long enough and you're griefing yourself by paying $15 a month just to annoy people online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nerolus posted:

You can also pick up engineering (or whatever it was) and build a mind control cap. This is what I did back before the cap was above 60. I loved running people off high places.

WoW engineers can also craft a couple different upgrades that turn their cloak into a parachute, preventing other players from killing them with a knockback. I was playing my Horde Shaman and punting players off the Alliance airship in Icecrown when an Alliance Shaman decided to try the same trick on me. I wish I could've seen the look on his face when I flew right back up and killed him.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If we're lucky, someone will take the time to mod it into a full SS13 sequel. I wanted to get into SS13 but I found the BYOND interface too clunky and confusing to use.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Klungar posted:

I've never played a MMO with any real seriousness, but what is supposed to be the benefits of these shared guild bank accounts? All I ever hear about is some guy breaking in and stealing everyone else's money.

Players put in crafting materials they don't need but other guild members do, potions for raid night and gear to help low level members have an easier time grinding up through the lower areas.

Simply put, it's the honor system in action. There are options that can be in place that can limit the amount of stuff taken.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Drox posted:

It gets worse. That spot is maybe 20 seconds away from their spawn. Any ONE of them could easily have gone back to spawn, changed to a different class (say, demoman), and taken out the sentry on their own while taking no damage.

You can change classes at the spawn point without having to die? All these years I've never known that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Best 150 Liang I ever spent. I put him on my Blood Enemy list so I can put bounties on him without having to take a fall in combat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orv posted:

If he got blocked you couldn't see him rage. :eng99:

He'll be forced to vent his anger on YouTube.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DonDoodles posted:

STO is F2P, indeed. There is a summer event going on now, so if you get your toon up to level 10, rush over to the event and get as many disco balls as possible before it ends in August.

That reminds me, are the balloon's from the anniversary balloon gun still visible to everyone in the room or did they nerf it in any way?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

As part of the new storyline in Star Trek Online, the devs made a minigun that can release a massive energy burst. Since they put the explosion in the slot usually reserved for melee attacks it can be used in social areas. After discovering this, a bunch of goons bought some and started idling with autofire on in places popular with RPers. People trying to ogle their characters either just beam up to their ship or get mad enough to send angry tells at everyone using it.

Screenshots from the thread:

Korgan posted:

Do some featured episodes, they're awarding 15 lobi once a day per account for doing one featured episode mission. Spin the Wheel in the Spectres arc takes like five minutes.

As for what it does, well.

Every 6 seconds. Along with noise and shakycam.

Ludicro posted:

This is the best gun.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bathroomrage posted:

The grief is people automating a game they should just quit if they're not enjoying anymore.

But then they wouldn't be able to brag about being elite raiders and PvPers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wushu had the best PvP rules. You could actually cause a school leader to forfeit their position if you tricked them into killing you right before the weekly tournament.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's very easy to concern troll. Just call someone out for saying it and get ready for a huge rant.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Truga posted:

Most MMOs don't seem do this any more, fortunately. You click something if you want to dungeon or whatever and it finds other players instantly (<30sec usually). Unless you're a damage class, then you kinda have to wait for healers and tanks to step up.

Fixed. One grief right when WoW first introduced the dungeon finder in Lich King was to queue as a tank or healer for Oculus and watch the person in the other role ragequit because it meant using a mount's skills instead of their own. The DPS would usually suck it up and wait for the DF to send a replacement since they'd already waited maybe an hour and would be sent to the back of the DPS queue if they left.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I don't get it. Why would the chick call the dude in the first place, and if she's not, how is the game hearing it?

The prank is he walked away and left his phone next to his headset then had the other pranksters call it.

Or just played a cellphone sound effect before they spoke.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's still pretty weird.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There are people who've been chatting online since the 90s on programs like second life so it's not that surprising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otpTZxJGKo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Annointed posted:

I only learned that griefing is infinite and great in its breath and depth, from quality of making a manchild scream profanities over playing the game as intended to incredibly long term mechanizations made with the intentions of ruining meticulously laid plans. From defying the expectations of the general populace by finding novel builds or using the most trivial actions that send the actions of roleplayers in a hissy fit. Even the griefs can be meta in nature, with goons griefing other goons in diction and other ways. A grief can come from anyone, even accidentally, but the greatest of griefs in my opinion shall always be the ones that give you a good laugh.

The thread's equivalent of the Nameless One's final speech on what can change the nature of a man.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How is it possible to host a performance art show with no appreciation for said art?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Most SA groups I've played games with prefer mumble, so I don't know too much about vent.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They streamed a competitive multiplayer game with no stream delay, they got what they deserved.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've always been more of a backburner fan, ambushing inattentive players with a bit more health and range than spy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't wait to read the threads about AFK travel being bugged.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Krakatoah posted:

Wasn't Wushu also the game where you could rig the school elder competition by provoking a potential candidate into killing some low level goon and then have the entire swarm come down on them out of the blue so that they'd miss the competition?

Yes. The goon candidates still had to score more kills than all the other applicants in the battle royale.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

McGiggins posted:

So did he want a fancy dance move or a goose?

I am confused and amused at the same time.

Also, what is the ding to real monies conversion? Did he pay actual money for something?

They were both movement skillbooks with similar looking icons. Whirlwind Step upgraded the double jump skill to triple and dropped from farmable fights against easy NPC factions. Goose was a skillbook that let the player do a quick dash on the ground and was very useful for PvP, it had a low chance of dropping from the boss in the first dungeon who summoned players as assassins.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Wanderer's Valley had a loving move called "Murder the Gods and Destroy the Buddha" :black101:

Hell one of their movesets was "Bone Corrosion Palm"

Bone Corrosion Palm was an amazing set. It had an AoE damage field that stunned anyone who tried to escape it and an anti-air skill that applied a slowing debuff that did a ton of damage if the victim tried to keep using flying skills.

Archonex posted:

It's kind of telling that some of the most hilariously vicious and dickish political backstabbing that goons got up too took place in that school. For instance, someone else mentioned it but we taunted one of our rivals in the school into killing one of our newbies shortly before the martial art competition that determines who controls the school.

It had a ton of goons because it was the least strict of all the schools, the only school rule was "Don't kill other WV members". The Royal Guards were almost as lax, theirs were "Don't kill other RG members" and "Don't run around in your underwear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Here's an easy one I've been doing in Blade and Soul,

At around level 10 there's a quest that rewards the player with a uniform like the local guards wear. The old man who gives it out warns that wearing it will mark the player as an enemy of the pirates they'd been fighting up until then; that doesn't seem like a big deal so most of the players who aren't bots or already decked out in overpriced cash shop costumes will try it on to see how it looks. A few levels later there's a quest that lets the player join the pirates and get their uniform. Basically the old man was trying to explain that wearing the guard uniform flags the player for PvP against players wearing the pirate outfit and by trying it on they've made themselves easy targets. If that wasn't humiliating enough, anyone can revive them if they don't click the surrender button, so it's possible to revive them after each kill and just strike them down again until their weapon breaks.

• Locked thread