Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Calenth posted:

Not the wildest or most extreme griefing ever -- no Eve shenanigans, and every MMO has had similar incidents -- but amusing to me because the game had so obviously been designed from the ground up to be completely grief-proof. A few days after we got rolling Disney shut down the beta and didn't open it up again for like a year.

And elevator jumping, don't forget elevator jumping. Hey there, random fourth player! Wanna have some fun? "Let's go defeat a Cog building!" "Okay!"

All four players on board the elevator, ready to go? Hooray! Aaaand just as the countdown timer hits zero and sends you up into the building, the three griefers jump off and send that poor schmuck up to certain doom. :byewhore:

I do believe they changed that real drat quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Outrespective posted:

The best was taking a good group, getting the chest early and taking everything but a mana potion and then going back into the fray

Who doesn't do this with regular chests? (Enjoy your Dalaran Sharp!)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Fatrick posted:

Star Wars Galaxies was full of griefing opportunity, and the Goonsquad did so much griefing in that game, it was silly.

I wasn't as active in it, but I'm sure the more active members will come out of the woodwork and tell stories.

GOON was notorious on Lowca and could grief without even doing anything. But when they did go ahead and do something, it was the stuff of legends.

A favorite pasttime was, of course, harassing the attention whores in the mantina. One of GOON's greatest moments came the night that a particularly annoying "dancer" decided s/he was going to have a lesbian wedding with another RPer. The fact that both were undoubtedly neckbeards in real life was of no matter to her because it was OMG TRUE LOVE. (Actually, it was just an RP wedding so the players could be showered with gifts from their RP friends and gullible dorks who thought it was a privilege to be invited.) Knowing that this was all an elaborate setup, knowing that e-marriages in games were eye-rollingly silly, and knowing that her previous weddings had been terribly boring, GOON showed up to the Theed city hall in their finest and joined the happy throng, determined to make the occasion a truly memorable one.

The wedding went as predictably as it could, so we knew our cue. When the dupe they'd hired out as a minister got to the line (and I swear to God he used it) "If anyone should have any reason why these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold their peace", well, we spoke. We spoke by stripping down to our underwear and Jumping to Prone out of the wedding party and right onto the altar.

Then we stood up, surrounded the bride and bride, and began to brawl one another, bare-knuckled (and causing no damage.) Now just sit back and let this concept sink in:

A gang of 10 or so Star Wars Galaxies characters, in their underwear, getting into fistfights at a fake lesbian wedding.

:patriot:

The minister tried gamely to continue the service while the attention whore bride began bawling us out for "ruining the most special day of her life" and, yes, costing her "thousands of credits in presents." Later, at the reception, we stood up and declared it KARAOKE TIME, yelling out the hits of yesterday and today for the bride's enjoyment. For some reason she didn't enjoy it.

I miss that game sometimes.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Frank Howley posted:

Then one early morning I followed some kid for a whole hour around the game. He kept calling me stupid names and tried losing me the entire time. The highlight of it was when he logged off for a second, and then came back and pretended to be his father. He told me to quit following his son or else he would call 911.

Some guildmates and I followed a kid around the blood elf starter areas one night. I forget what the kid had been doing, but it was obnoxious enough to warrant investigation. We just went /follow on him and tagged behind as he tried to do his quests. We began to /cheer and /applaud him every time he actually killed something, and acted as moral support.

Eventually we told him that we were from the future, and in the future he was a great and powerful ruler but this was a crucial juncture in his history and we had been sent to make sure he didn't choose poorly. Stuff like "If you ride that flier back to Silvermoon to train now, THE ENTIRE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM WILL BE DISRUPTED!"

The poor kid grew incredibly paranoid with us following around, so he tried to psych us out. He'd sit, log out, and return 30 seconds later only to see us standing there waiting for him ("You have returned! It was foretold!") It got so bad that, well, he got paranoid enough to spill his guts.

He started apologizing for a bunch of stuff he'd done in-game, stuff that we hadn't seen. He explained, of course, that his brother was the one who'd done it when he wasn't at the keyboard, all sorts of stuff. It wasn't his fault, he swears, so stop bugging him already!

It didn't stop us from following him around until we got bored of the whole thing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

MrDutch posted:

I like the shirtless guy in the background of this picture, just chillin' out watchin some virtual childbirth.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
(poo poo, did I tell this story before? This thread's old and long and my memory's worse.)

In the very early days of CoH (this might have been open beta even) there was one fellow who created an all-white character called The Eternal Statue and he would stand in the salute pose near the top of one of the stairs in Atlas Park near Atlas himself. This was before they'd implemented idle timeouts in the game, so he was constantly connected, day and night, in that salute pose. Never said a word or moved or anything.

Until a gang of players realized that they could nudge him around by running into him repeatedly. He only moved a teeny tiny bit when you ran into him, but he moved nonetheless. Over the course of one night they managed to push him down all the stairs in Atlas Park and into the grassy area where the low-level Hellions hang out. The poor Eternal Statue was so busy being a statue that he had never bothered to level up, and the Hellions made short work of him while he stood there saluting.

We never saw him again except for one super awesome serious business ragequit post on the forums that was more whinequit than ragequit, but whatever. A little while later, idle timeouts were introduced. No more statues.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ninjasaurus posted:

Why the hell would a game have an NPC that did something like that -- especially if it is irreversible? It sounds like the creators of Everquest are doing the griefing here.

You just don't understand The Vision, man.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EVIR Gibson posted:

Yah, trapping wookies in my naboo house balcony was pretty awesome.

If it weren't for the NGE, I'd say the balcony bug was the best grief SW:G ever had.

For some reason it was incredibly satisfying to hang out around cantinas as a Mon Calamari named Hank Gunderson and roleplay an insurance salesman from Des Moines. I'd continually try to order an Old Fashioned, go up to Serious RPers and treat them like old friends, ask how Barb and the kids were, discuss the benefits of long-term life insurance policies, and remind them that "any time you're up in our neck of the woods, the welcome mat is always out!"

Oh, I know the reason it was so satisfying. Rage.

So. Much. RPer. Rage.

Coming from guys playing Twilek whore-dancers whose horribly-written bios were as long as they could be and twice as lovely.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Code Jockey posted:

That still slays me every god drat time

Seriously, it never gets old.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I don't know who I feel more schadenfreude for: the dude who lost 34 billion ISK in that, or the dudes who were only able to afford to lose 2 million.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, good luck building a poo poo-pad that dense. Block-poo poo doesn't have the structural integrity to withstand that much pressure. You try to compress that much poo poo into a square meter and you'll open up a gateway to another dimension.

A poo poo dimension.

A... poo poo dimension, Mr. Lahey?!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FuzzyPickles posted:

I don't think they have ever really changed anything about fall damage and water walking, it's just that only shamans used to be able to do it and it used to be annoying to gather the reagents so few shamans ever played with it.

Fish oil was easy enough to come by and was worth it. In BC I used to hang around the entrance to Coilfang Reservoir with my shaman and hit the cool kids who jumped off their flying mounts to dive into the tunnel. When they complained, I'd simply tell 'em "NO DIVING, LIFEGUARD NOT ON DUTY."

You could also use it during the Lurker Below fight in Serpentshrine Cavern just before people tried to jump into the water to avoid Lurker's spout attack, but you had to really hate the other 24 people in your raid to do it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Code Jockey posted:

e. and I remember oh so many people making web pages with links back to their local computers, and how loving hard it was explaining the problem with doing that to someone with zero tech literacy but who bought a "BUILD A WEB SITE IN 10 MINUTES!" book

But it looks fine on my end! :downs:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EVIR Gibson posted:

For servers with a few guilds able to farm this dungeon, there was ALWAYS leering between the guilds suspecting that bullshit guild would "wake the sleeper". If a guild did wake the sleeper, there was always immediate and swift payback in some form because Primal Weapons would no longer drop since the dungeon would turn off spawning bosses because there was no point in positioning NPC guards in a dungeon that no longer needed guards*. Either making raids harder during the guild's attempts at bosses (since bosses were not instanced and the dungeon was open to all) or refusing to pick up members who wanted to leave the guild if they had a primal weapon.

Nobody wanted to wake the Sleeper because there was no reason to fight him. Sony was adamant he be impossible to kill, but when a team on Rallos Zek finally did, they discovered the dragon had no loot table. (It was their second attempt. The first attempt ended when they got Kerafyrm down to around 20% and the GMs freaked out and despawned the dragon, saying "Oops! Looks like there was a bug!")

Now that is some straight-up classic griefing right there.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

STO Forums posted:

*grins and give a salutory tug of the Stetson*

The klingon previously known as Khemaraa Iron Hand KBF on these forums.

As of 5/21/13 KDF play much improved, and faction experience a great deal more fun. Now, about that KLINGON science ship we don't have, ONE new hair style is NOT satisfactory!

The guy is pure, undistilled stoplayers.txt

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

That's not just rage profanity, that's sheer poetry.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Daman posted:

more old clips from the terraria guy, it's goons loving with him also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNVd7y5Xw40

"We're actually playing Minecraft."
"Don't even start on Minecraft, the game doesn't exist."
"YES IT DOES"

That's a hell of a lot of fish in a tiny barrel there.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
One of the few good gimmick posters was Gamequoter (pbuh) because he knew when to show up and when not to. Triangle Man and Tasty's other alts just piled on whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Iconhell was second only to Reported as the best, most useful WoW mod.

• Locked thread