Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Why do mini-sentries make people upset? I haven't played TF2 since hats first started becoming a thing.

e: God this loving mav thing makes me want to buy BF3.

STAR_ doesn't like them and makes jokes out of exaggeratedly getting mad when they kill him. People will take anything too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bucketmouse posted:

for the first couple days using any of these cosmetics would instantly crash the server when the model first drew.

Yeah I think he found a crash exploit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

See if you can guess who's playing BoW.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, it's just the FEAR Rattata, only the Focus Sash is innate to the pokemon and can go off any number of times instead of only once, which lets the pokemon hold an item that basically refills its own health to full every time, and the enemy goes down in the same turn instead of to a Quick Attack the turn after.

So that tactic in full:
  • At some point earlier in the game, Tyranitar or Hippowdon was sent out. Their ability causes a sandstorm to whip up, lasting until another weather replaces it (in Black/White) or for five turns (in X/Y).

• Switching Pokemon mid-battle takes up your entire turn, and whoever you send in will get hit by the enemy's attack. So to avoid this, you have to get one of your Pokemon KO'd, allowing you to send out Aron safely at the end of the turn. So you've already sacrificed one of your team members just to stop this gimmick eating a fist.

• Enemy goes first and attacks Aron.
  • If they don't use an attack, that messes up your predictions and gives them time to set up and Aron is probably hosed.

• Aron's ability, Sturdy, activates. When at full HP, Aron survives any single hit with 1 HP remaining.
  • If the enemy's ability is Mold Breaker (ignores all abilities that get between the user and the user's target being dead), Aron is now hosed. Mold Breaker is relatively common in competitive games.
  • If the enemy uses a move that hits multiple times, Aron is very hosed. Multiple-hit moves aren't uncommon either, even ones that only hit twice will do the job.

• Aron uses Endeavor, dealing damage equal to (enemy's health - Aron's current health)
  • The enemy is now on 1 HP.
  • Unless they're a Ghost-type. If Aron sees a ghost, it's hosed.
  • Oh hey there's sand around! If the enemy's ability is Sand Veil (boost evasion in a sandstorm), that means there's a 25% chance for Endeavour to just randomly miss. Skillful!

• Shell Bell activates, Aron regains health equal to (enemy's health - 1)/16 which is more than enough to fill a level 1 Aron's health back to full.
  • If the enemy's move was Thief, Covet, Knock Off, Embargo, Trick or Switcheroo (all moves which remove, disable or swap the enemy's item), Aron is hosed. Trick and Knock Off are not uncommon in competitive teams.

• The sandstorm rages! All non-Rock, non-Ground, non-Steel Pokemon (Aron is both Rock and Steel) lose 1/16 of their health. This is usually higher than the 1 HP they have left.
  • So if the enemy is any one of those three types (two of which are really common in competitive play), or has the ability Magic Guard (immune to all passive damage) or Overcoat (immune to all weather damage) or Air Lock or Cloud Nine (both disable all weather effects as long as that Pokemon is out), or has Sand Veil, Sand Rush or Sand Force (various effects, but all are activated by and grant immunity to sandstorm) or has brought weather of their own along (in Generation 5, weather-based strategies are the most powerful and common strategies by far), Aron is totally, utterly and ball-stompingly hosed at the final hurdle.

• And of course if Aron got hit with a fire move that happened to randomly burn it, or a move that paralyzed it, it's hosed on toast with a thick spread of Marmite. At least it's immune to poison...

So it's kind of a clever strategy with a billion ways to counter it. A solid grief, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to let it get you.
:goonsay:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can mash certain buttons to make yourself basically permanently invincible as Meta Knight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But their streaming is proof that they don't have any interpersonal skills.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Obviously because-

Splicer posted:

Did you watch it?

Would you have watched it otherwise?

Mission accomplished.

yeah, that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Was it true that the original Pokemon games had the sailor that takes your ticket at the SS Anne say "By the way, if you like this game, buy it or die!"?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

They could do some really immersive cinematic poo poo with pirates nowadays. Have people talk over dialogue or mumble so you can't follow what's going on, have the awesome superweapon fire out a BANG! flag, make in-game computer systems crash with piracy messages, or have a helpful conscience fairy that constantly flies in your face suggesting you buy the game, messes with poo poo in the game world ('HEY A SWITCH! I WONDER WHAT IT DOES!!') and basically exists solely to aggravate the player.

Or just arrest the player in the game at a really interesting moment. Pull you aside during a cutscene and lock you in a room, where you eventually realise you're not going to be released and you've been wasting the past 20 minutes looking for a way out

Try activating the console and typing "sv_cheats 1" in The Stanley Parable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y62URvUUDvw
For an example of the TF2 banana peel in action, have a video of TF2 personality STAR_ doing it to hie friends, along with many other fun ways the Engineer can mess with people.

There's one that non-players probably won't quite notice/understand. In Mann vs Machine, if an Engineer's sentry has been doing too well, the game will spawn a special Sentry Buster enemy and announce it. Sentry Busters are naval mines on legs. They have a decent amount of health and one job: Walk straight towards the offending sentry and explode next to it, leaving a cloud of obscuring smoke and killing the sentry, themselves and everything near it. They do the same thing if you kill them. Engineers can pick up and carry their sentries around, and if there's a Sentry Buster they'll follow you to the end of the earth. You're supposed to lead the sentry buster around so your teammates can kill it. STAR_, being a jerk, puts his sentry down next to a teammate who's looking the other way. KABOOM.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hey guys I've heard of this new game called Space Station 13, anyone have any stories from playing it? :kiddo:

boy do I

So I joined a round of my favourite spaceman game late, and clearly some poo poo had been going down cause some dork security officer was throwing around a million credits in the bar.

So I stole it. Obviously. Nearly got away with it, too, but he hit me with his stun baton as I fled the scene, then dragged me off to security.

quote:

Tyson Hughes says, "hey"
Tyson Hughes says, "man jackson"
Tyson Hughes says, "heres your milli"
Without even breaking stride, Tyson Hughes flips open and lights the Zippo lighter in one smooth movement.
Tyson Hughes throws 1000000 Credits.
Tyson Hughes says, "go pick it up"

The bastard had set it on fire! But luckily, I still had my starting wage - a stack of 100 credits - in my pocket, and I quickly merged the burning million with the nice, not-on-fire 100, creating a nice clean million and a burning stack of 100 that got left behind (1 million being the maximum amount you can have in a single stack).

Unfortunately, he saw me shove the million into my backpack, and wasn't going to let me get away with it. With me trapped in the security lobby, it was no effort at all for him to pull out a flash and blind me into unconsciousness. While I was down, he searched my bag and pulled out the million credits.

Then lit it on fire and threw it on the floor again. What a dick.

But I had recovered! Rising to my feet, I grabbed the million and split a single credit off from it, creating a new, non-burning stack of 1 credit and a burning stack of 999,999. Then I simply merged that 999,999 into the 1 credit and voila, a million credits safely not on fire.

Now to make my escape, and by a stroke of luck it just so happened that the door to Officer Beepsky's house was open! The door's covered by plastic flaps that bots pass through freely but block humans, but a little limbo can get through those and into safety. The sec officer couldn't or wouldn't follow me in, so I was home free!

...Except that handling the burning money had set me on fire, and I was getting dangerously low on health. Another limbo out the other door got me to a handy fire extinguisher, but the damage was done - I was in critical health, and once in the corridor all I could do was stagger around calling for help.

And guess who showed up to give me a hand? Only the security officer again, with detective in tow and stun baton at the ready. I quickly pushed him down but collapsed before I could grab the baton, and the detective took the opportunity to stun me with it. As the officer cuffed me, I gasped my last few words.

quote:

Man Jackson gasps, "IIII wiiillll ddddiiee iihhoouutttt mmeddddiiiccaall aatttteeenntttiioonn"
Man Jackson gasps, "WWhheeenn I ddiee"
Man Jackson gasps, "it''ss oonn yoooou"
Tyson Hughes says, "he stole money"
ÿ!Tyson Hughes has added 1000000 Credits to the backpack!
Man Jackson gasps, "mmuureerreeerr"
ÿ!You have given up life and succumbed to death.

But! Helpful scientist Eric Jesse had turned up by now, and dragged me off to the cloner, where geneticist Jim Avernum was happy to scan me in and start my cloning going. Would I see a second life, a second chance to get away with the grand prize? No, because I didn't really feel like it and succumbed in the cloner. Doing that makes you die, then your corpse pops out, wobbles and explode into horrible gibs. There's no coming back from that one. But I had the last laugh!

quote:

DEAD: Ghost (Man Jackson) wails, "gently caress it, I value making a mess in genetics over actually playing the game"
Jim Avernum says, "WHAT THE"
Eric Jesse says, "JIM"
Eric Jesse says, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE"
Eric Jesse [145.9] says, "Detective's a traitor"
Eric Jesse [145.9] says, "he beat some dude to death then turned off the cloner while he was being cloned"

Yep, I'd accidentally convinced Eric that the (totally innocent) detective had murdered and then remurdered me. Fantastic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lemme tell you about a short but sweet SS13 prank.

There's various medals in SS13, basically achievements, and some of them give you alt-skins for things. For instance, everyone gets the 'Fish' medal when they first join a server, which lets them turn a backpack into an equivalent satchel once per round. One of these medals is called 'Enlightened', and it lets you turn one outer suit item, like a space suit or body armour, into an ornate long coat called Grand Alchemist Robes. It retains all the properties of the thing it used to be.

SS13 has straight jackets. Once one's put on you, you can't get it off by yourself, you can't use your hands, you can't even go through closed doors. They go in your outer suit slot.

So I enlisted the help of a nearby Mechanic to get the robes off me after I'd used the skin on them, took them to the cafeteria, left them on the bar and hid in the disposals chute.

Five people fell for it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Apparently, quite easily.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well it was probably like that when he bought it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was reading some MTG articles today and I found a story of the developers trying to grief each other. It's not a very successful story but I thought it was amusing.

Tom LaPille posted:

Sometimes people who work on Magic fight to kill cards that enable griefing. Extremely annoying cards sometimes don't survive, but other times those people's efforts are thwarted because we want to make griefer Timmies happy too. One instance of this from Magic 2010 is Silence, another one of the cards that Aaron Forsythe previewed in his announcement. Former Building on a Budget author and R&D member Nate Heiss argued that the card was a very bad thing to print because it was both miserable and powerful in tournament constructed, and he built tons decks that included it. He would then play them against various people to try to prove his point.

Nate's decks tended to include a bunch of little creatures, some removal spells, and Silences. He would curve out with some creatures and then Silence his opponent during upkeep when he thought his opponent might cast a spell. He would then try to convince his opponents that they were annoyed, but mostly they would just draw their card, play a land, and then wait a turn to play their spells. Sometimes, his opponents even had the audacity to respond to his Silences with instant removal spells, in which case the Silence didn't hurt them very much at all. Other times, both Nate and his opponent would create a creature stall, and when he drew a Silence in that situation he was effectively down a card.

In the end, Nate's efforts did not stop the card, and ironically convinced the Magic 2010 development team that the card was a great idea to print. He showed us that Silence wasn't going to be too powerful when used merely to grief people and that Silence would make people who enjoyed griefing very excited. Nate never really came around to this view, but the card made it out the door intact.

This story is beautiful to me because even though Nate was griefing us relentlessly, he wasn't doing it because he enjoyed it. Instead, he was doing it because he thought it was his responsibility to keep everyone else from doing it. In the process, however, he became exactly the thing that he hated. When the Magic web team heard this story, they dubbed Nate "the Rorschach of griefing," which is hilarious and awesome.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Once upon a time there was a person doing a thing and then another person showed up and did a different thing that cause the first person to get mad

Good grief!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Machai posted:

There are no countries or game developers at the poles, so it is a moot point

uh the people who make the Witcher are Poles

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Have we heard the story behind your redtext axelsoar? Cause that sounds like a good one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

axelsoar posted:

So, Exalted is a tabletop game like D&D that is all about crazy over-the-top demigods doing Greek tragedy stuff plus wuxia and anime. The 3rd edition is coming out Soon* (about 2 years behind the first date given at this point) and updates have been sparse. One of the few updates we got a while back was the update for the Abyssals, think super vampire-zombie-deathknights that want to end the world, except the ones that don't. The problem was, the update was like, super gross. It gave your character magical rape-ghost powers.

No, seriously.

Exalted has a bit of a... history... involving this kind of stuff, the game is made by White Wolf, the same developer who made Vampire. This prompted the "WTF D&D" guys to do an front-page article on the hosed up art in Exalted, which I guess is that 'front-page-hentai' thing in my redtext is referring to. Some folks got suuuuper defense about folks calling out their favorite game, and thus an angry red-text was born.

Here is a choice quote from one of the developers of the game, who had an account here and tried to defend the content.

Exalted: "It's not hold you down and stick it in, rape!"

Definitely a good one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I get the feeling Lord British got the last laugh on us by getting to play with spinning tops in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3S-c_s_syY

Joke's on him though cause while he was in space his bosses were forging his resignation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I had one in Dark Souls a few days ago that I'm still not sure if it was intentional. I saw a summon sign on the floor and went to examine it, then my game crashed. The person had weird characters in their Steam name so as soon as anyone checks out their sign, the game runs into the unsupported character and gives up. Either a masterful griefer or they were standing there for a very long time wondering why nobody wanted them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uh, griefing is being a shithead for no reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Archonex posted:

Rolling on loot to be a shithead is kind of like someone trashing someone's construction in Minecraft. It's a low effort grief that's about as easy to do as it is unfunny.

Possibly. But then winning it, and equipping the loot right in front of the guy? That's class griefing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The really evil traps have a stretch of bricks after the coins, so you have to time hitting the exit perfectly after the switch or you'll die anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dogstile posted:

Apparently stamping on enemy players on the last turn in a blood bowl match annoys people. Go look at the blood bowl thread.

What is this, griefing thread homework? Bring it to us, mate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're good people, dogstile.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coolguye posted:

The entire reason Turn 16 Fouling is such a huge thing is because fouling is disliked even at the best of times. Just HAVING a dedicated fouler on the pitch is enough to get some folks twitchy.

What if you had an entire team of dedicated foulers? Who might never win a game but just do their damnedest to stomp the poo poo out of other people's star players.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If only this game didn't sound incredibly tedious...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Enjoy this classic Minecraft grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSMUlXWLGxY

I didn't care so much for aVo's later stuff where they just turned on every hack they could think of and ran around killing people with impunity, just seemed kinda uncreative, but this one was pretty great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yd1YpPZ0XM

This is all you need to know about hit detection in TF2. It's really not much of an exaggeration.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 10, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Soulex posted:

The Japanese make the best t shirts.

Case in point I bought this on Takeshita street.

It's 'case and point'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's 'pendant'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's 'hitboxes'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

For you old wushu goons, china game 4.0 is coming to NA soon. Like a month or less. I think.

Here is an example of something you can do to grief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kbBz29FZAc

You can also just sit there with a dinky gun and shoot people off of horses all day.

I don't get it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Soulex posted:

An oldie but cutie : http://youtu.be/7ht7CobSk8A

Also a request. Does anyone know about these guys that would rush servers like Chivalry and what not? I've been trying to find a video where these guys do that to this really snotty Star Wars mod server, and the owner gets real uppity, despite no one playing his lovely game. The players and viewers keep telling him he doesn't exist and that he's in a coma or whatever. Also there is a Russian dude and I only remember him saying "gently caress You!" And "Basketball American." Anyone know what I am talking about?

Sounds like Bro Team Pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Griefing Thread 2.0: Stop Griefing Yourself

• Locked thread