Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Ah, the joy of grief. I personally griefed the poo poo out of the playerbase of a MUD/MOO called HellMOO. It has open PvP, mostly lootable corpses and best of all, no way to store your gear in a completely safe void such as a bank account.

Now, when we were just starting out(me and 2 other people), lockpicking was underrated but also extremely underpowered. To fully understand this, you need to know how doors worked then: Every door had 10 locks. The locks would relock themselves in a few minutes. On top of that, anyone inside could relock them, as well as bar the door with a wooden door bar. Wooden door bars made that door completely impossible to open to anyone but the owner and residents of the apartment. You could also teleport out of your apartment after barring the door, making it impossible to break in. You also racked up stars that indicated how much the police hates you. Basically, even one pick attempt would alert the law(and players with easily acquired police scanners) to your presence, so you'd have to be quick about it.

Now, lockpicks cost a huge amount of cash(which was hard to make short of exploits which popped up every now and then) and broke after two pick attempts. At the time we started, it would take about 3-4 pick attempts to disable one lock out of ten. This obviously meant people did not attempt robberies very often, but also that nobody would expect them. The reward for a succesful robbery was great, though, as one's apartment was the most safe(and only) place to store items.

In a few weeks, we'd try our brand new lockpicking skills on things such as airplanes and abandoned apartments. After realizing how powerful a lockpicking team combined with a looter who goes in as the rest escape the police. And then, after some disagreements with certain people, the heists began.

People cried out for lockpickings nerfs in terror, as something that hadn't been seen as a threat started risking everyone's apartments. Mind you, while the best gear in HellMOO was storebought, it was also ridiculously expensive. Looting someone's apartment was pretty much setting them back to the same level as people who had just started the game. Soon everyone would mostly camp their homes with their doors barred, trolling chatnet and watching the police scanners for signs of another attack. Despite this, we managed to rob even more people and acquire several millions worth of loot in a short time. For comparision, the most expensive thing to buy in the game was your own mansion complete with orbital laser cannon security which cost one million hellbux.

At this point, the whole thing was run by me and a second person who will be referred to "Joe" from now on, as well as whatever minions we could get to bring the loot back home. That's right, we were an evil organization with minions and everything. We even bought a huge custom-built fortress in the mountains with everything you could think of for corp(the clan/guild equivalent of HellMOO). Known as Fort Enema, it had everything you could think of from clone vats(respawn/character saving points) to research stations(expensive machines used to discover crafting items).

This continued on and on, and eventually there was a major change to lockpicking that removed door bars and made the lockpicking process extremely cheap, fast, and very easy to grind to superhuman levels(as opposed to ridiculously difficult). Apartments were only safe if you were logged out inside. This meant me and Joe had huge amounts of cash and gear lying around which was in huge danger at all times when the owner of the fort(that's me) logged in. We worked around this by giving Joe as much access as myself to everything as myself so I could log out, making the fortress invulnerable while Joe could do whatever inside the fort.

However, we grew tired of this, as we couldn't really do anything since it would mean all the people who we've robbed along the way would come knocking with their newfound lockpicking abilities(this was most of the playerbase by now). At this point, I believe our wealth was a little under half of the game's total wealth. It was then when we delivered the final blow to the playerbase: we destroyed every single item in our possession and abyssed(permanently deleted) our characters, so that nobody could ever get back at us or get our e-riches. The playerbase thought they had finally gotten rid of us after about a year of robbing them dry and slaughtering them. It was only a few hours later when we made our new builder(minor admins who create content) characters known to them which were offered to us while we were destroying all our stuff. I should really go finish my area I started making.

Of course, all this led to hilarious amounts of seperate drama. If there's interest, I can post more about subjects such as The Suicidal Midget, The Blind Menace, Joe's 15-Year Old Stalker and Kitty The Fat Vampire.

MiF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

The Suicidal Midget, as requested :)

Now, HellMOO drew in a lot of strange people. It has the standard POST-CYBERPOCALYPSE atmosphere which surely appeals to many, as well as having a working sex system, which in turn attracted even stranger folks. ZedXionova, however, took the cake.

Zed, as we called him, was a midget. He was also paraplegic. He lived in a trailer. You'd really think things could not go much worse for him, but that would be wrong.

You see, Zed had some serious mental issues. Not only was he an INCREDIBLY whiny person, he would get close to people(as close as you can get in an online game), hiring newbies into his corps and generally being nice to people, especially the lovely women of HellMOO. The facade would never last very long, as Zed would sooner or later show his true self, being a complete dick to everyone and going off on tantrums about whatever was bothering him. Most people ended up loathing him, and after the raging subsided, he'd never quite understand why.

As this went on, the admins finally got tired of him bugging them to implement his ideas. They made him his own apartment in Necropolis, a dead city full of zombies, ghosts, and creatures made of concrete and random junk called Junkers that could kill most people in a few hits. They'd also make him his very own mutation(Think perks from Fallout) that would make him get attention from the law as soon as he stepped foot in the city, approppriately named hideous freak. It also made using the global chat system actually cost money for him for every message because most people really wanted him to shut the hell up.

Numerous attempts were made to make him quit the game. He was robbed until he didn't bother getting anything of worth back, and killed on sight by almost everyone. He was referred to as "babylegs" until the admins told us to stop it. This one time he almost quit life, though.

Another player(Known as Crowbar) had apparently found his corpse, and on it his only possessions: his weapons. Even those weren't worth terribly much, but he started freaking out over them, as Crowbar had been all buddy-buddy with Zed in the past. Zed started making death threats, at which point Crowbar latched onto the threats and told Zed he'd get a restraining order.

At this point, Zed COMPLETELY broke down, offering to pay money/give items to crowbar while he had been previously demanding his weapons back as well as a huge sum of money as an apology. Zed then busted out this gem: "You're bringing real-life into it, you're bringing the situation into a realm I can't survive in, I live in a goddamn trailer, my legs don't work, I already can't leave the house, why would you make this worse for me?". After this he, well, had a panic attack. Over a text-based online game. He logged off for the night and the next day we're told by Crowbar that Zed had attempted suicide by choking himself on a paper plate. If only we had been that lucky.

The saga of Zed did not end there, but the rest was fairly boring. He had several meltdowns after being robbed by us many, many times losing several one-of-a-kind items made just for him. He also made an alt that was supposed to be some sort of a KAWAII SCIENTIST SCHOOLGIRL ^__________^ but the hilarity never quite got to the same level as the time he tried to kill himself over a game. Here's a few notable Zed quotes:

- I'm so angry right now my palms are bleeding from fist clenching.
- I've nearly died due to medical complications, yet I've never been as terrified as I was 10 minutes ago.
- The emotional damage has been done, crowbar. If you wanted to scare me, it worked, I'm afraid to even interact with your character now.

Zed has since quit HellMOO, but he'll most likely return one day. In the meantime, you can find him on our very own SA forums! He's registered as Zed Xionova here, although he doesn't seem to have platinum.

I still have a few more I'll post tomorrow if people are interested.

MiF fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 2, 2008

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

I looked up the dudes name and found the exact chatlog you were talking about.

http://de.pastebin.ca/688834?srch=apologize

haha,

Seems quite ironic the name that you just made up showed up here :)
Joe, in fact, was not a figment of my imagination, but a fellow player and the other half of our robbery team(not counting the minions who come and go). I thought it'd be fitting to call him Joe since that's his name.

EDIT: I also used that exact chatlog as a source since I knew where to find it, but I didn't link it since it's a huge chatlog where you can't see what the other player is saying.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Maybe he was banned? When I try to add him to my buddy list, it says thats not a person.
Looks like I remembered wrong - his name was Zed Xionova. In fact, he's online right now!

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

heh, can't handle the flareage lil nub? looks like you have been griefed

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Here's one where we're the ones getting griefed on HellMOO.

It was all the work of a very small group of players. Sometimes three, mostly just two though. These two were called Ace and Mike.

Ace and Mike weren't normal players, oh no. They were dicks. They wouldn't even talk with anyone but each other except to ask for help on the global chat. They'd have alts follow each other in a game where alt rules are so strict you're not even allowed to have two alts online at the same time. Repeated warnings and short bans weren't enough to deter them from constantly finding new exploits and using those until an admin noticed.

Finally though, they found their last exploit. I'm going to go into detail about it because it sounds so drat funny. You see, there's a sperm bank where every player can donate once and get what is usually a large sum of money. However, it was located very, very far from the main hub of the game so it took quite a while for most people to stumble upon it. The method for "donating" was either jerking off into a machine or jerking off into a tube and giving it to the clerk. Ace and Mike abused this by having newbies jerk off into tubes and collecting their donation money. This made them unbelievably rich, but it wasn't much use when they were immediately banned when admins found out.

So what's a guy to do when he gets banned from a MOO for completely ignoring the rules? Find something better to do with your time? Go back under a new name and play nice? Oh, no. The answer, my friends, is to make your own MOO.

A while after they were banned, they started showing up on alts spamming how poo poo HellMOO is and how everyone should join HumanityMOO today! We knew it would be pretty hilarious, but nothing could have prepared us for HumanityMOO. 90% of the names and concepts were copied from HellMOO, except nothing worked and they had written their own text descriptions. The text descriptions were horribly written, and having the disadvantage of being blind, Mike and Ace and friends had no concept of things such as punctuation and capital letters. Passive-aggressive threats to HellMOO admins littered the game, and the creators of this abomination had taken their names, banning players from HellMOO (which were, ironically enough, the only players they had) because they were so unjustly banned from it.

In the end, HumanityMOO was forgotten after Ace and Mike had gotten tired of making spam alts after several months of comedy. It's still up though, and you can find a blog post here detailing on the huge success that is HumanityMOO. The game itself is up at humanitymoo.mcp-server.com:2468 although it has considerably improved and may not contain as much comedy.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Archonex posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me want to play again. Drunk squad will have a new punishment to deal out to evil-doers in Chengdu. :colbert:

Then again, the company that owns the US version is immensely lovely. They refused to deal with someone hacking and emptying out the goon manual bank I set up, and they triple billed me for VIP. Getting a refund was like pulling teeth. Hopefully the EU version gets this update soon.
How is the EU version, by the way? I played a bit on US until I realized time zones made getting to any important events impossible, and EU servers were being run by some company with a poor track history with the F2P monetizing aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Delamore posted:

So far the EU server is doing alot better content wise rather than just add in content with patches like the US version, they instead started with all the patches in and just need to start the events to open the new content. Because it's set up like that there's a much better flow of content, on the US version we had access to a whole bunch of bullshit that was entirely useless until later patches added in uses, here the items get unlocked together with whatever uses it.
It also means we don't have to deal with alot of the bugs/exploits that took a while to get patched out of the US version.
That's really good to know, thanks! Do you still run operations on the US server, by the way? I'd like to give away my old account so you can give it to whoever can use it(VIP purchase, RG with all 3 styles unlocked)

Also as an apology for the derail, I'll post one more silly MUD story. Christ, reading the stuff I did(and wrote :v:) as a teen makes me realize that the people calling me an rear end in a top hat were right. I've written a few posts about HellMOO in this thread, but here's the last one. This whole thing probably wasn't known to more than a handful of people.

Like I mentioned earlier, we were legendary assholes in HellMOO. Our player careers came to an end as we were offered admin positions while we were getting rid of about 1/3 of the game's database in form of text game riches, intending to quit. We gladly took the position, but it didn't take many months to get bored of creating things and poking around. We mostly yelled at the owner admins who hadn't played the game in forever, and had some terribly strange ideas for changes and improvements. Our welcome was wearing thin. Anything you'd want to change had to be run by one or more of these guys as well, so we couldn't get much done on existing stuff anyway. Me and Joe realized we'd eventually get unceremoniously booted for this.

A bit later I found a chat network that broadcast any and all login attempts with usernames and passwords in loving plaintext. Immediately reported this to the admins, and it was plugged. However, trying to make heads or tails of the thing, a few pages of player passwords(which were stored in the network object) ended up in my logs which were automatically saved by my client. Eventually the unceremonious booting also came for my actions, and my good buddy Joe got caught in the flak as well. Became ban on sight. I wasn't terribly pleased.

Again, months later, I realized I had everything I needed. I was friends with the best griefing player of the time(known as cloudpaladin) who wasn't welcome either. Being a plucky little sociopath, I wanted to see if I couldn't get in one last grief. We tested some of the low profile characters I'd caught, and they all worked. We even had an admin character, who we used to gather information players wouldn't get access to. That one got banned, but the admins never suspected anyone would have access to several characters.

It was time to really put the passwords to use, so I gave the list to my griefing buddy cloudpaladin and he logged onto the prime target: ZedXionova's main account(guy who I constantly harassed and wrote about earlier in the thread). ZedXionova's character descriptions were changed to the vilest loving things. The character was also rerolled, so he lost all his work on that. Of course, the admins at the time assumed it was some sort of keylogger or what have you, and did nothing to help him.

It didn't end quite there, though. I don't exactly remember how, but we framed another admin(by the name of Cherry) who had fallen out of favor. They still had their powers as all this went down, but became the fall guy not long after thanks to us.

• Locked thread