Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a question about stone placement technique. I'm a new Go player, and reading online I see that some sites say that good Go etiquette requires you to pick a stone up from the bowl using your index and middle fingers, pinching the stone between them and laying it on the board. This sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit to me, as I'm not playing with an old-school Go master, I'm playing with my friends in my house. Obviously I can just grab the stone like a barbarian in my own home, but do people actually grab the stones like that in (serious) public play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Do you guys have a preferred YouTube lesson series? Someone both entertaining and knowledge? I've watched a few of Nick Sibicky and he seems alright.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So I'm getting a little discouraged. I know you're supposed to lose 100 games, but I feel like after 10-20 I'm not learning anything. I'm studying webpages about go and things like that but the concepts seem to just fly out of my head when I start playing. Is this just perseverance at this point, or do some people (like me) just not get it?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the replies. I play on http://online-go.com/, which I guess used to be nova.gs? I've been on KGS before, but that was a long time ago and a false start. I've only recently been taking the game more seriously. Also what is ITGO? Is that the ITGO league thing? I can't really figure out what to do with that. :/

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Sorry guys, java booted me and I can't log back in :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

uranus posted:

hi im on this site as well as a few others here, join the SA group! challenge me to a correspondence game! i'm low rank!

Bam, request sent. I actually really like online-go compared to KGS, if only because I like the interface better.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

AdorableStar posted:

Black to play:

Is black looking to kill that group or contain white's influence in that corner?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

shin42k posted:

Black's looking to kill if I remember correctly.

Then isn't this one pretty straightforward? I really feel like I'm missing something, because I don't see how white could possibly live in that situation. I mean B plays B3 or C2 and white is trapped, right?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Alternatively, couldn't B make a move at K/L17 to strengthen the top and reinforce the top-right corner? Or would that be a waste? You'd be condemning that lone stone, which is a lot of influence for W, but you could potentially gain some ground as well.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I'm having difficulties with reading positions out in my head. I have to have a board I can play around with. Is there a good way to practice reading out without relying on a physical (or online) board?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

AdorableStar posted:

I'm pretty sure to practice reading you have to read, and there's no other place to do that but on a goban, physical or online. Maybe you could try some elementary life and death tsumego?

That's what I'm starting on right now. Up until now I've only read a little bit of a book I have, really no life&death problems.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Any of you have the KGS app? Is it worth it? Are there any other phone-based go server apps?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
It's so hard not to goon out, though. At this point I'm maybe 17k on a good day. I'm okay with that, I've been playing seriously for about a month and a half. There's no reason to freak out. The problem is that I'm having trouble finding opponents of my skill level on any of the online servers; I've been playing with people who are ranked several stones above me and getting curb stomped. I want to get better and enjoy playing go, but it's hard when I can't track my progress in a measurable way that isn't my KGS rank or whatever. It's discouraging! So instead I'm trying to figure out what shapes work, and how to invade, etc. etc. Learning to play go is a long road and I find it difficult not to get impatient on the journey.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Yeah, I just suck really bad. I just resigned from 6 minutes into an 80 min game because of how badly I played. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when I play against other people but this guy was just tearing me up. I don't think I'm actually 17k, it's probably closer to 25k. This is what killed my last attempt to get into this game, was that I just sucked so badly. I need to have more patience, but I don't know how to get that patience.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

xopods posted:

I think the important question is why we can play most games and lose and still feel like we had a good time with our friends, but play Go and lose and feel like we're worth less as human beings for that. It probably has something to do with our reasons for deciding to learn Go in the first place.

Honestly, just have fun with Go. It's really, really not worth it to get your ego involved.

After the handful of games today, I find that it's less about losing than it is about losing because I was stupid or played poorly. It's about mastering the game and less about the competition. So when I make eight dumb plays in a row it's easy to get down on myself. But when I play well, even if I lose, it's (sort of) rewarding.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Overwined posted:

I'm down. Here's my OGS profile: https://online-go.com/user/view/272876

Warning: I only play correspondence right now as I can't seem to put together enough consecutive free hours to play live games.

This is always what kills my path to sdk. I can get to 14-10k, and then life gets in the way, I play correspondence for a bit and then I just quit for a year. I get interested again because of friends or this thread and the pattern will repeat.

:sigh:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

empty whippet box posted:

I play 5-10 games a day right now and I read my Life and Death, Tesuji, or Joseki books while on the elliptical at the gym for an hour each day. 'Lose 100 games as fast as you can' is the best advice I can give you for getting back into it and sticking with it - get over your fear and anxiety about losing and your interest in the game for its own sake will flourish.

Surprisingly it's less about losing for me! I suck at most things in life so I didn't expect go to be different. My problem is time. I need to set time aside to play.

Also fuckin lol at 5-10 games. Do you play full 19x19 games? Are they blitz?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Do you guys ever play locally? I'm wanting to get some in person games going, but the only clubs are 45m-1h away at inconvenient times. Opening my own club is both intimidating and inconvenient since I only have a crappy board and no other gear. Plus I have no idea where to host since due to my childcare schedule I'm either playing way early or way late.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I'd also enjoy an ITGO invite. Username is ayc.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Xom posted:

Invited.

Thank you! Now to find time to actually jump on...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I should probably start looking at joseki- do you guys just look at josekipedia or do you have a book recommendation?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I exclusively play on ogs, is there a reason that one gets panned?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I've got a couple games that I would really enjoy a review on- is it kosher to post those here?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

impulse 7 effect posted:

Sure, that's kinda the point. fire it up!

edit: although like, one at a time, eh?

gently caress that I'm dumping my whole catalog! Make me 10 stones stronger, minions!

... I'll get one up later today once I get some free time. Thanks!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Xom posted:

Post some games, let's look at them.

Sorry I thought I'd be finished with a couple by now but they're dragging out a bit. I generally only play correspondence :/ life gets in the way

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So in my perennial attempt to get into this game, I’m gonna hit up itgo and grab an invite, but is the discord group still open?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Thanks!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

welp. i'm getting BACK INTO GO (again)

correspondence go anyway.

anyone looking for a fastish correspondence game, lets be friends? (i'm 4k, maybe)

Anyone else who plays 9x on goquest, let's be friends? i'm around 1600 there

NEED MORE GO FRIENDS

I’m there as sephirothira but I’m like 17k and terrible

Thankfully I also am a poor loser and hate myself

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

goquest does not seem to have a friends function... OH WELL

You can’t friend people?! Is your username derp?

Edit you can play with friends, you just need an identical keyword when you’re searching in the app. We could set a thread wide work (e.g. SAgoquest) and you’d be matched with anyone also using the word.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

my goquest username is jonasd82, i found you but didn't see any ui for inviting or adding or challenging or anything like that, i could just look at your stats.

Yeah :( the only way to match with someone is to use the friend checkbox when you’re looking for a game and use the same keyword. I’m on sporadically throughout the day, just PM me if you want to play and we can set a keyword.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
GoQuest starts you at like 1k and you’ll move up and down from there. Turn off the “see other peoples ranks” option and just fight until you’re better.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

pointsofdata posted:

It started me with an ELO of 900 and then for the first few games did something weird, sometimes it would go up even when I lost., I think 10k is like 1050, 1d is 1700.

That seems low for 10k. I’m 14k on OGS and I’m 1250 on goquest.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I have been on a massive losing streak as of late. Dropped on goquest from 1270 to 1210. Woooof :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

derp posted:

are there any streamers that play 9x9? go is bad enough as it is, but now im getting into a niche within a niche. god this is stupid.

Time to become the hero we all need, derp. I’ll come watch

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
How much time do you devote to go in a week? I'm trying to decide if I want to give in to paying this again. I played a few 9x9s with a friend and had a blast talking out positions, but we are on vacation right now so time isn't a factor.

But back in reality, I have both responsibilities and other hobbies and I know go requires quite a bit of focus if you want to improve.

I never have been successful without someone to drive me, a study buddy, but I also don't have a night a week to connect with an online group or whatever, let alone play an hour- long 19x19.

Ugh God what a post. Don't search this thread, I'm sure I have five posts just like this popping up once every 1-3 years....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Excellent comments and perspective from.both of you, thanks. I think I'm gonna try to do some 9x9 blitz even if it's not "true" go