Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
You can do it!
Reach for the low-hanging fruit and get strong fast!

KGS handle: Xombar
Current rank: 13 kyū
Learned rules: 1 month ago
Total time spent: 63 hours
Total non-full-board play: ~4 games
Sources used:
> The Interactive Way To Go
> Sensei's Library wiki
> going over games with KGS goons - shoutouts to Wasuji, IWantHam, Athanos

Xom fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
ITGO League II has begun!

lovely [3k] (white) vs. Xombar [11k] (black)

5 handicap stones, 6.5 komi for white

result: W+24.5

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
oops wrong thread

Xom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 18, 2011

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Yes, do it ASAP while ITGO (KGS room) still has lots of other newbies for you to play.

EDIT:

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Real poo poo: Playing with the outside world and your fellow goons in ITGO

Just to re-iterate the point that once you're fairly happy about the rules, you can stop playing bots. They are no substitute for the real thing. You'll want to play actual people who can give you advice and make delightful chat with you in the process. The best way to do this is join your fellow SomethingAwful go players on KGS (Kisedo Go Server). Note that there are other servers, but KGS is generally considered the best for English-speaking players, as well as the client being the most user-friendly.

How to get online:

1) Visit the KGS website. Here you can launch the KGS client in your web browser, or download it to your computer.
2) Register an account.
3) Log in, choose the following menu option: Rooms -> Room List
4) Under the "Social" tab, find the room "SA" and double click. This is our public room, but it's not where we usually hang out.
5) Ask for permission to join "ITGO", our private room.
6) Once permission has been granted, you can join by going Rooms -> Room List, and double clicking ITGO under the "Social" tab.

Don't worry if you don't get an immediate response, someone should notice your request eventually. Try again at another time (evenings is best) if there's still nothing happening, or ask in the Ask/Tell Go thread.

Xom fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 6, 2011

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The New York Go Center is defunct but their website still has the best list of places.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Got mine. Still 60+ spots left!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Magna Kaser posted:

I do have a question though. All my experience is in China using Chinese scoring rules, but all the online go mentioned here seems to use Japanese scoring. I've been told like 99% of the time both methods will end up at the same person winning, but am I going to be at even more of a disadvantage going in with Japanese rules? Are play-styles radically different between the two?
No.

I'm just guessing from the way it works, but it seems to me that Japanese scoring was designed to give the same result as Chinese scoring, but also to be faster to count. So if anything it will help you estimate the score more quickly during the game.

Also, under Chinese scoring, if your opponent wants to fill all the dame (the little pockets of neutral territory at the end of the game) you'll need to follow suit, but often either one point isn't enough to affect the result or there are an even number of dame, so the players won't bother. (Under Japanese scoring, the dame are not worth any points at all.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here is an explanation I wrote some time ago of a once-in-a-blue-moon corner case where different scoring rules produce different results (this won't happen to you):

Xom posted:

For example, there's a corner position called Bent Four in the Corner. White (for supposition) has a tiny group in the corner. Black has a move that initiates a favorable ko fight (i.e. White needs to make his first ko threat before Black makes his) that kills the group if Black wins it and lets it live if White wins it. White has no way to initiate any such ko fight (favorable or not), and neither player has any other move that improves his position in the corner.

Under Chinese rules, Black could wait until no other score-improving moves are available, then preemptively defend against any ko threats otherwise still available for White to make; this involves Black filling in his own territory, which doesn't affect the score under Chinese rules. Then Black can play the move that starts the ko fight, which he will win "for free"; typically, you can only win a ko fight by ignoring a ko threat, to which your opponent gets to follow up for some payoff, but in this case White has no moves to which, even if Black didn't respond, a follow-up would improve White's score. The players can foresee all this and consider White's group to be dead, with no need to play it out.

Under Japanese rules, filling in his own territory would reduce Black's score. But that's okay, because under Japanese rules, when you decide whether a group is dead after play has ended, it's considered dead as long as you can kill it for sure, even if killing it would involve some loss elsewhere.* So the result is the same: White's group is considered dead, without affecting the scoring of the rest of the board.

But once in a blue moon, there will be a ko threat White can make that Black has no way to preemptively neutralize. Under Chinese rules, its existence may be detrimental to Black's final score, depending on the rest of the board (a player with sufficiently many, sufficiently powerful ko threats can win a ko fight "for free" with no need to think about removable / unremovable ko threats). Under Japanese rules, White's group is still considered dead no matter what, and the final score would not be affected by the fact that killing it would involve some loss elsewhere.

*(A different, more contrived scenario to illustrate this: if White had two groups, and Black could kill either one of them, but doing so would let White save the other one, and White has no way to force Black to start playing this out, then when play ends, both groups would be considered dead under Japanese rules. Under Chinese rules, Black would have to play it out before ending the game, so he'd have to let one of White's groups live.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

A classic example is making an invasion very early in the game:

To clarify, the position shown is the result of the 3-3 invasion of the 4-4 point. Previous diagram:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Just join now. It's just a private chatroom, and no one cares whether you have a rating.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Black to play

As far as I* can tell, (b) leads to a capturing race ending in some sort of ko favoring Black. Is that correct? Is (b) worth playing?

*I'm 7k, gotten mostly by playing nice-seeming shapes, without reading.

Is this what happens?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
YOU ARE DEAD DEAD DEAD should be a permanent fixture in that message so we don't have to search it up every time it's needed.

Xom fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 19, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 19, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

quote:

Move 73
Xombar: you shall not pass
rebus: ?
Xombar: gandalf reference

Move 99
Xombar: http://i.imgur.com/72dijmE.jpg
rebus: i am the huge monster? thanks^

W+R
Athanos: greedy xombar
Athanos: if you lose the big kill it kills you big
rebus: gandalf just stop the monster not kil him^

quote:

WuChou: rebus clearly not familiar with the actual events of gandalf v durin's bane as gandalf does destroy its physical body :smaug:
WuChou: half credit, I guess
WuChou: since it is also maiar and who knows what happens to its spirit after, maybe purified or jailed by iluvatar or some poo poo~
WuChou: I have already thought about this
WuChou: too much

Xom fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 15, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
How to get KGS working with Java 7 update 51

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I'm assuming we'll be replicating the game on a board in ITGO so that chats get associated with move numbers.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

2014 Go Superbowl Between The Sedol Hawks and The Li Tarantulas is LIVE! - ITGO MOTD

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

So if I were trying to teach someone on a 9x9 board, I should use the 6.5 komi when explaining the score?
If you're just explaining scoring I would disregard komi except to mention offhand that normally White gets 6.5 bonus points to offset Black's first-turn advantage (and that the number of bonus points happens to be the same for both 9x9 and 19x19).

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
There's no reason for Black's territory in the center to be filled in like that, except to demonstrate the effect of the two empty spaces, so that has to have been contrived by both players. Disregarding that matter, judging from the lack of anything remotely complicated on the board and from White's lead, Black has to have been a total beginner, while White could've been a total beginner or a non-beginner who chose to play in an extremely plodding fashion. There aren't any shapes with interesting names on the board.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Black has a bunch of territory in the lower left, and judging from the other panels, a little bit in the lower right, unless those stones (which got cropped out of the zoomed-in panel) are in a dead configuration.

Black's stones in the upper left would normally be dead (as in White can kill them and is in no hurry to do so, because even if Black got another move in that area, it wouldn't be enough to make a difference), except that White's stones have a weakness in that area. If Black is the next to play in that area, Black can save his stones in that corner. If White is the next to play in that area, White can play a move to patch up that weakness.

White also has a weakness on the upper side that I'm looking at right now.

Xom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I think White is safe on the upper side. Black can try to cut off that row of White stones, but then Black has two things to do. Black can play in the middle of those White stones' living space, in order to prevent White from forming the two empty spots, which White would need to live while cut off. But then White will be able to capture Black's cutting stones (the stones Black played to separate White's stones), thereby reconnecting White's groups, before Black can capture the cut-off group. If Black first adds another stone to those cutting stones, then White can reinforce the cut-off group, then chase down and capture the cutting stones.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
As for deciding whether the arrangement of stones resemble anything in a pictorial sense, or considered as pixels, I'll leave that to you.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also, I don't think it was a handicap game. (Theoretically it could've been a two-stone handicap, but I don't think that makes sense in this context; only no-handicap or a large handicap would make sense IMO, and certain empty spaces rule out a large handicap.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hardfl1p posted:

Good post so What Identity is monter in a box -san
http://senseis.xmp.net/?KoMonster

EDIT: Probably not a dragon or a butterfly or a crane or a tanuki though, or the corresponding shape would've been on the board.

Xom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
c7 cut makes it hard for White to make big plays.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The following was posted in the GBS thread. Can it get added to the OP? ADDED, thanks!

Kheldragar posted:

KGS is great! The only real complaint I have is that there's no sound when you place a stone.

h_double posted:

The no stone clicks thing is a Java-related bug: https://www.gokgs.com/help/Java.html

Xom posted:

There are two ways to get the sound back:'javadummymixer_biguglyhack.zip' works for me (I'm on Windows 7). So I haven't tried the "Install Java 1.6" option.

Xom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 30, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Black to play a good move.

Black can still win without it, unless Black is me and doesn't count above two.
EDIT:

Xom fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 14, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
(EDIT: moved to the end of my previous post)

Xom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 14, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Tarezax posted:

It appears to me that Black is going to lose the capturing race in the mid left unless he prevents white from making an eye on his dragon. G9.
g9 is the move I had in mind. After that AFAICT IFF Black forces White to capture g13, then Black wins the race (without even needing any ko threats)? It's tricky though, so I'm not totally sure.

Xom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also nvm about being able to win without g9, since Black has to let go of g13 to avoid losing the race (seki results instead), which is what happened in the actual game, resulting in W+6.5.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

silvergoose posted:

I uh missed the entire bottom row. I might still be right? I can't comprehend your image at 3 AM, sorry, and I'm also bad at this game.
It was directed at my actual play in that game, not at you. I'll edit it onto the end of my post where it belongs.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Svartvit posted:

I just played a game that turned out pretty even, so i think it would be a good game to post here for comments. Also, why did I screw my invasion up in the lower left corner? Should I have haned? (that group was really totally dead)

http://online-go.com/game/503024
I have comments for you—find me on KGS.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

My most recent full size game, played live this time. http://online-go.com/game/503248

I lost two huge groups pretty early on due to retarded idiot mistakes, but still managed to win it by 12.5. Mostly cause my opponent was really helpful in assisting me with constructing my borders.
In the final position, Black has some cutting points that still need fixing.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

yeah i was not confident in my ability to live after poking into the center.
White can double atari Black at the border.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Finally managed to beat a 3 kyū in Automatch.

33.5% mortality

Xom fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 17, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hmm, I'm not impressed by those screenshots. Here's what I did when my games were split across accounts in a way that made it hard to tell how I was doing:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Under 15 posted:

Yeah it's a very western thing to get hung up on joseki, an idea which comes from the Japanese, who are themselves kind of hung up on it. If you go on Tygem you will see the koreans play the same ten sequences over and over - they just do not give a poo poo.
Which ten? :kheldragar:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://tinyurl.com/xomsguide

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 26, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Cho Chikun Elementary progress: 201/900 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

I tried my hand at 20 of them for ~20 minutes, can you tell me if my first move is right?

UNREADABLE poo poo

Hopefully I didn't mess up the coordinates. :cripes:
  1. Placement in the middle of the straight three.
  2. 1-2 point, resulting in connect-and-die.
  3. Connect, resulting in straight four.
  4. Descent resulting in oshi-tsubushi.
  5. Connect inside.
  6. "Cross-cut hane".
  7. "Knight's hane".
  8. Descent to the left 1-2 point, blocking the hane.
  9. Hane OR placement at the 1-2 point.*
  10. 1-2 point.
  11. Attach under with knight's move, blocking the descent.
  12. Crawl from "cross-cut hane", blocking the descent.
  13. Crawl from "knight's hane", blocking the descent.
  14. "Knight's hane" OR placement at the 1-2 point.
  15. Crawl from hane OR placement at the 1-2 point.
  16. Placement at the 1-2 point.
  17. One-space jump to the left 1-2 point.
  18. "Cross-cut hane".
  19. Hane (either side works).
  20. Descent to the upper 1-2 point.

*Note this case where the placement fails: