Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I just discovered this wonderful game a few days ago, and been working through the ITWTG android app. Anyone want to play against a totally new person in a few hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How does an hour and a half from now sound(9 pm MST)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even played a single game yet, don't have anything set up. I assume KGS would be best?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can I get an invite to ITGO on KGS? Can't find the SA social room

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow I'm really killin it today. Mederlock

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

I keep trying, kgs hates me and my computer. Doesn't matter the browser. Client doesn't work.

Is it a JAva issue specifically?

E: I think Ive fallen head over heels like a besotted teenager for this game after the 2 games we played tonight. Thanks for the games and commentary, it was very helpful and fun. I think I've found myself a new hobby..

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, those two games last night have put IWTG into such better context, especially since half the demonstrated scenarios they play out in the early 19x19 board lessons are showing the results of mistakes I made and the more effective ways to respond :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will get to 20K *shakes fist at self*

I played a 9 stone rushed game on my lunch break today and got absolutely slaughtered by a 13K player. I need to start reading up on early game Joseki and practice life or death problems, and probably start internalizing basic patterns that are inherent mistakes

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

If you mean in real life, I haven't. I've never seen a goban in person.

If you mean online, then I use OGS (online-go.com, a browser-based go server). Others use kgs (https://www.gokgs.com a java-based go server). Others still have preferred sites, often in Chinese or Korean.

I'm in a lovely tier for matchmaking so I start looking for games on KGS and OGS simultaneously and cancel the search on the one that doesn't catch anything. IRL there's a club at the local university that I plan to check out this weekend

E: god drat this game is hard. The :spergin: inside me is very pleased for the challenge

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AdorableStar posted:

. Actually, that's a good lesson for all go games. Stay connected. I remember one time I was playing a game and I thought, "Hey, I could connect now but he'll also connect and will live. But hey, if I allow myself to get cut I could kill him!"

I died. I resigned.

This happens to me all the time, I'm starting to see what the other guy is doing to stay connected and cut me in half simultaneously.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just had what I felt to be my first real match tonight on KGS, after 10 games of bumbling about. I mean, I still lost to the 17k guy with a 5 stone handicap by around 50 points, but I actually made some connections and played a few tesuji, and ended with about 40 points more then usual. He was super helpful and pointed out what I did wrong right after I did it so it was fresh in my mind. I didn't know I could get so excited about a game from a loss :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got two ladders (well both un resolved but mutually agreed as dead stones) and I don't know what to call the other one or even if it's technically a tesuji, but it was a sneaky cross cut to get a 2 stone capture that connected most of my center.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: go club chat, just went to the local club that plays out of the university this afternoon, it was pretty sweet. Since it's summer break a decent number of people aren't there apparently, so it was mostly Asian guys, most pretty old, and an older white dude. Got my rear end totally handed to me by a 4dan player with a 9 stone handicap, with a slightly better but still devastating game against a shodan player. I definitely prefer playing live

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Have some green tea beside you and force yourself to take a sip between moves. Or take some Ritalin, I dunno. Just consciously think about taking your time with almost every move.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only excuse I can think of (and I'm guilty for this, but I'm a :shobon: newbie) is they weren't able to properly read out whether or not that the game was decided. What level was he?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are you ever playing against other people? I'd recommend firing up KGS or using the OGS Web app and play a few games, let the game automatically sort out an appropriate handicap, and see what happens. I feel I learnt more from live games, as it allowed me to try things out and see how a person would react. If you do this on KGS, I'd *highly* recommend that you join our chat channel, the guys there are usually willing to review your games. A couple good reviews of some games will take you further faster

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Im gonna get my lazy rear end back into playing this too. Join all the new guys in fumbling around the board

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can I get an invite to ITGO on KGS? IGN is 'Mederlock"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wouldn't mind a reinvite to Itgo while we're on the topic

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I ordered a goban and stones from Gogameguru, I'm excited for it to come in. I don't know what it is, must be ADD or something, but I focus on and enjoy the game a lot more when I'm actually playing it with a real board vs. on the computer. Time to rope my family and friends into Go fever with me :getin:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I got my set of stones from Go Game Guru (just their cheaper ~$40 set), and although I'm still waiting on the board to land, I've been playing with friends and doing tsumego on a 9x9 printout taped to cardboard :v:. This is way better then doing it online, I must say. There's just something about the look and tactile feel of actual stones that makes it easier for me to concentrate. I would totally recommend getting stones even just for tsumego if you find you get distracted or uninterested in online/mobile app variants of it.

This poo poo is totally expanding my visual memory though, I'm kinda surprised at how poor mine is. I can practically feel my brain stretching when going through tricky tsumego

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Glad I got my board and stones in time

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yyyeeesssssssssssss! My girlfriend likes Go! Finally a human to play with my actual stones and goban. :v:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Is this new knowledge about your existing girlfriend, or a new girlfriend, or did you teach her and she likes it?

I taught her and she likes it :v

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't figured out an effective way to get my partner to play Go with me again since I accidentally beat her pretty bad the one time lol. :negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Whenever I played games against my ex that I had a significant skill advantage in, I usually handicapped myself in some fashion. We never played Go, but I gave myself a 5 second move timer for chess.

I *was* heavily handicapped 😅

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife hates playing with me :saddowns: . She's says the gap between us is too large for it to be fun (.. I'm like, 19kyu at best), even when I give her 5 stones on a 9x9. So basically I have a beautiful 1" thick goban but nobody to play with :negative:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Have you considered having a child to teach to hate playing with you?

Lmao, that's the eventual plan. Until then, it's virtual Go for this guy

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Is there a good YouTube/otherwise channel for analysing Go games like the many we have for Chess? I love Go but am absolutely terrible at it so in the meantime I'd like to watch better people play and someone explain strategies / wargame what they think the players might do to explain rationale behind moves.

I'd like to pretend it's because I can somehow onboard that knowledge but really I just like seeing people smarter than me doing smart things.

Nick Sibicky is your guy https://youtube.com/@NickSibicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's dope as gently caress. That's the show that got me into this game in the first place