Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dang. Looks like a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dirby posted:

I think you tried to PM me (I can't receive PMs), but I'm like 18k on kgs and would play when you're up for a game. Just message me on KGS or email me (see sig).

Yep, noted. Course, part of the problem is lack of time to play. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

i played a tournament at the seattle go center. here are some pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/PN2oi

Nice! Especially that first one, the photo of you doing the vulcan greeting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

giogadi posted:

Apparently a pretty big game is going on now between Ke Jie and Lee Sedol for the Samsung Cup.

What's fun is that we actually have a stream with live English commentary!

Missed it, supposedly video'll be up in a few hours since it was a longass stream.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dirby posted:

I'm confused. I thought I was watching the video two hours before you made this post :confused:

Sorry. I missed the live video. The replay should be up at some point, since it is a long-rear end stream so needs time to upload.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dirby posted:

In US time zones, the live video was last night, and the replay is at https://youtube.com/watch?v=quOHkhwBHWg and has been for at least 5 hours. Unless I watched the wrong video or something.

Nope, I'm guessing that the information I was looking at was very wrong or a few hours out of date.

Thanks!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hooray! I played the guy I always play at the once a year convention, he gave me 9 stones last year and beat me by 50-60, so his 4 kyumeans I'm probably around 20 kyu.

This year, he spotted me 9 again, and I trapped a big group in the center and he resigned. Sooooo I am probably better now? Who knows!

Also played shogi love that game. :3: (I kinda wrecked him because we're both lovely at castling)

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 13, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

As a 4 kyu I'm going to say I have no clue how to play against 4h, much less 5+.

Pretty much; he knows how to attack attack attack, and eventually either overplays (as in that game) or doesn't (the previous year's game). I do think I've gotten a bit better at playing solid moves, even when they're in gote, because then suddenly my shape doesn't look insanely bad and oh well I gave up one of my 9 free moves at the beginning, that's okay.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's called peeping, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IMlemon posted:

Nope, although its similar. White 4 would be considered a peep if white 2 wasn't there. Connecting is a must, read this if it isn't obvious http://senseis.xmp.net/?LameDuGo

Ah, cool, thanks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

toodles posted:

I've lost my marbles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Is there anywhere on the forums to discuss the live alphago games or is this it?

This is p much where to go. Ha ha. Go.

Also it's way too late on the east coast, friggen Korea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I honestly agree, I think 5-0 is likely. Much much better games than the other match, but man.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I'm curious how much of it is a show and how much is he's reeeeeally not 3d.

I had a professor in college who was dry like redmond. Best prof I ever had, his soft monotone drone made you fall asleep and he gave the most interesting lectures on operating systems.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Holy god the daily show has gotten so bad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sunaurus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you check someone's post history in a specific thread?

Press the little question mark below to the person's avatar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Do you normally try to read it on the page, or put the stones out and read it on-board, or either? I kinda want to start setting up stones because it's so much easier for me to read l&d on an actual board.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

I did it a lot on the go so I did it on my phone screen.

I see what you did there.

Thanks, I might set up my board just to, y'know, feel the pieces once in a while. Just staring at the problems were making me feel like I couldn't go through all the variations in my head.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

totino boy posted:

no, i did meet her though (see above pics) but she didnt play any games, just a brief q&a. it was this workshop with Li Hai. There ended up being only three of us playing him at once, the other two were only a bit stronger than me and we took 4 handicap each. I felt like i was ahead up until late in the midgame which was a shock, then i lost a giant group and resigned and balance was restored haha. It was really awesome, mostly cause I learned I was not intimidated, i didnt feel afraid to make mistakes, and if i can play a pro without feeling afraid then I can play anyone!

another thing that was really cool was that 'hand talk' is a true thing. the guy barely spoke any english, yet he didnt really need to. i understood all the variations he was showing and what he was trying to explain cause, its go. he did have an interpreter when needed though. very cool experience

That sounds super amazing, to be honest.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Played two games live at the con I just went to, first against a 14k in an even game and lost by 40-50 points. Then against a 5k with a 9 stone handicap and lost by...40-50 points.

So I guess I'm in something like the high teens range! Better than I expected, to be honest, given how little I play, but hey, that's something. Gotta get on OGS and actually play. But live is so much more fun...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Question: Does it make sense to try play Go with my 4½ year old son? I'm not aiming at him being the next child prodigy, but for fun and company's sake. I am a complete newbie also, so to speak.

I'd peruse http://senseis.xmp.net/?TeachingMethods#toc12

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

derp posted:

The supposed 6k level of crazy stone ai played out an obvious ladder all the way across the board. Starting to have doubts about this thing

Maybe it thought it was a ladder game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Finally saw a game that was remotely my skill level and relatively useful (19x19, 10 minutes plus 30sx5, 23k). Completely obliterated him, and I don't think I was playing especially well, just reading a little and making mostly okay moves while he made useless or worse ones.

Still, it's a good indication that 18k is probably a decent estimate, which I got from a couple of live games with some friends at a boardgame con.

Enjoyable, to say the least, though live is so much better. I should probably play against some lower ddk and see how badly I lose by.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

why do people go on servers and purposefully get their rank low just so they can challenge people that are much, much lower ranked than them without handicaps? Like...why would you do that. It has happened to me 3 times today. It's incredibly obvious when people do this, and it's really frustrating because I hate having my rating tanked like that. Oh well, I guess people will be dicks about literally any game, even go.

It's called sandbagging, and people do it with everything everywhere all the time.

Though yeah they could just play drunk half the time.

Also stop caring about your rating. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

Look at OGS

Wish I had time to play go, or mental energy.

Sigh, disgusted that I've wasted another day with things that aren't go.

Repeat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1756668/kgs-update

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Overwined posted:

I mean that's the AI equivalent of flipping the board and beheading your opponent because he beat you so soundly.

Sounds extremely historically accurate to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’ve been programming an iPhone board game for the past week and it really made me want to get into Go for some reason. Oh well, time to download KGS. I’m also on Chapter 4 of Integrated Chinese so I’m practically a scholar-gentleman already.

Aw hell yes thread overlap. This guy has been programming random poo poo on the most ridiculous of platforms.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

Isn't it like that because it's defined to be that way?

I think they're exclaiming at how accurate the system works. Like, sure, it's designed to work that way, but it can frequently predict how badly you'll lose, not just that you'll lose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xom posted:

I dreamt this morning that I went to a Go meetup where they were learning the game on boards like this:

:aaaaa:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I played a non-handicap game against someone (my yearly shogi opponent I usually also try to play a game of go with). He beat me by 140 or so, which is not surprising, I think he's 6k and I'm probably in the high teens. Love playing live though, even so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's a loving hard game that basically requires a lifetime to get even remotely decent.

It's also one of the best games ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is this new knowledge about your existing girlfriend, or a new girlfriend, or did you teach her and she likes it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

derp posted:

hey any GOons who also play chess, what would be the 'fundamentals of go' of chess? if there is such a thing. i dont want a bunch of problems, there are endless apps for that. looking for big ideas, maxims, 'proverbs' etc. anything come to mind? sorry to post about chess in here but didn't know how exactly to ask what im asking to someone who doesn't also play go.

Things like "the center four squares are vital", "develop your bishops and knights", "don't park a knight on the edge", "castle, you fool"?

Nothing wrong with the chess thread tbh. Really you're asking for just high level strategy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Let's say I want to watch go being exhibited, not taught; anywhere that I should check for "here's some live commentary in english"? Like twitch, but for go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awesome thanks. I mostly want to listen in the background at work or whatever so I'll check all of that out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:3: have you read the "children's" book Really Big Numbers? The author uses examples kinda like that to explain googols, plexing, etc to kids, it's adorable.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Also "After a week of playing every evening, I could maybe consider myself a beginner"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Great read, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Finally the 6yo was willing to learn first capture with me, obviously I let him double atari me a couple times, surrounded him a couple times, then arranged a ladder and he thought chasing me all the way across the board was funny as gently caress

So, a success! How would I go about teaching him a small area version, what do folks use to cordon off most of the board?