Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay here's the deal. She is currently a long-term substitute. However if she was not asked to come back, she would just return to substitute teaching.

The point of contention is whether or not a daily substitute teacher "counts" for a 403b's vesting period.

Furthermore, can you "carry" the same 403b across school districts?

I am not sure, but if you can't, you could roll that balance over into an IRA. There is little benefit to remain in a 403b or 401k plan once you leave a 'company' as you are only able to buy their funds and may be subject to other fees. Sounds like a call needs to be put into the schools 403b administrator or HR (do schools have HR?) to clarify that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KennyG posted:

American's as a population have no savings. You forget how retarded the unwashed masses really are.

http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/average-retirement-savings-by-age.html

A little dated (2-4yrs old) but I think very illustritive
  • < 35: $6,306
  • 35 - 44: $22,460
  • 45 - 54: $43,797
  • 55 - 64: $69,127
  • 65 - 75: $56,212

And that includes defined benefit plan assets. That's SAD!

This fact has not gotten by me in the least. I'm speaking of the minority that actually do pay any attention to their finances, there is a very small section that actually do it intelligently and pragmatically.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tai-Pan posted:

I think KennyG, are in agreement. You think people don't use calculators, I think more people than you guess actually do and they are getting confusing information from them. People look and are stupid anyway.

Are you saying that you only think a tiny percentage of Americans look at these and then 100% of that subset ignore them?

I'm arguing that the point is more or less moot. Those who do take a serious look at their finances will not solely rely on such a calculator, and will engage a professional or educate themselves more completely while the others plug in some numbers and never do anything to better their financial plan regardless of the outcome of the calculator.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Isn't math awesome?

Incidentally, what do you guys consider a reasonable proportion of net worth to be in cash for a non-homeowner? As it stands, each month I save about the same amount in cash as I contribute to my retirement funds, and the total split of my net worth is about 50/50 (excluding my emergency fund).

I'm worried that the amount of cash I'm holding and continue to save is as excessive as it is inefficient.

The rule of thumb for most people with steady income is 3-6 months, regardless of home ownership status. If you have volatile income (contract worker/etc) I would recommend 12 months.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Isn't that just the straight up rule for an emergency fund, rather than cash savings?

I treat cash savings, outside of an emergency fund, as a situational thing. So you would be saving for specific items, with predetermined amounts. This could be a down payment on a house, a vacation fund, auto maintenance, or even just a pot of cash that makes you feel comfortable having. In my view, anything beyond the emergency fund is making accommodations for your risk tolerance. If you want to make sure that you have the 3-6 months ready, in-tact, and never touched (not willing to accept the risk of floating value due to irregular large payments, etc) then you would want to set up separate savings for those irregular events.

tl;dr: depends on your risk tolerance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

I go with automatic monthly contributions. Dollar cost averaging and all that. I've heard the argument that you should invest it all as soon as possible because if you expect the market to go up over the long run, your money will have more time in the market to generate returns. I personally don't think the risk is worth the potential rewards but that's just me.

I would agree with you, the average investor is best served by automating their retirement fund process and distancing themselves from such things as beating the market and getting swept up in all of that. I would recommend a monthly contribution into a portfolio of Index funds (if you don't have much money (<$70k), I would fund a stock index fund and a bond one until you hit that point, where your returns start overtaking the impact of your savings rate) with annual rebalancing. Simplify and automate, you're not Warren Buffet, who consequently said that index funds are the best investment choice...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sanchez posted:

I can't see one, if there was wouldn't it be better to invest every day?

Transaction costs would likely eat away at any gains you would have. If you were doing this in a transaction free fund though, it may be better mathematically. I know that statistically if I bill my clients monthly, rather than quarterly, they end up with a higher balance at the end of the year and my fees are higher. The 'magic' is due to the higher number of compounding periods.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay here's what my wife told me from her HR department at the school district.

Actually now that they gave everything to me in writing, I'm no longer sure what my wife actually gets if she contributes to the state teacher retirement plan. It's called Pissers: http://www.psers.state.pa.us/active/moneyinvested.htm

From what I can gather of this, it's a defined benefit pension program?

Please tell me if I am reading this right:
http://www.qcsd.org/21301012615234450/lib/21301012615234450/Pension_Crisis_PSERS_FAQs.pdf

So my wife contributes the max amount, which is 7.5% of her paycheck ($50,000, probably more in the future) annually. And then she gets something like $45,000/year after she retires (theoretically) in 40 years?

That is insane. :psyduck:

Should I fully fund this and also get a Roth at the same time? If so, why? I am getting a feeling that these defined benefit pension plans are much more volatile since they are based not on your individual investments but the group investment?

It probably does work like that, but not for the reason you're thinking. The pension program bears the risk of providing the benefit to the employee. The 7.5% target return, on a 7.5% of salary savings rate will not provide for more than 9 years of $45,000/yr in retirement. The employer must be contributing a portion to fund the difference to account for the remaining years of life.

I just did a back of the napkin calculation in Excel and at the end of 40 years, with a base salary of $50k, annual raises of 3%, annual contribution of 7.5% and a market return of 7.5% for 40 years, the value of the investment is $303.6k. With a 45k annual withdrawal, and 7.5% return on the balance continuing into retirement, that leaves a negative balance in the 10th year of $10k.

Upping the contribution amount to 15% (let's assume the employer kicks in 7.5% also), now we get some interesting results. At year 40, the portfolio is worth 607k, guess what 45k represents of that size? 7.5% So that means for every year in retirement, assuming they hit their 7.5% target, the portfolio value is constant, providing the $45k/yr in benefits. After 35 years in retirement, the portfolio is worth $692k, your wife has received 45k/yr (which in future terms, is not going to be a lot of money, so need information on any inflation adjustments to the benefit) and the pension fund keeps the 692. As I said, there has to be an inflation adjustment in that value, which would just reduce the final amount the pension balance gets.

tl;dr: The math works out, it's not insane. It's likely a good solid retirement program, but definitely would want to have other retirement savings as it would not likely fund your standard of living in retirement.
Is th

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Okay, I think I understand how that math works out. It's funded by both employee and employer and if the investments hold out, it's pretty self-sufficient.

But my question now is, isn't a Roth IRA a much more profitable investment? Or is my math weird? I'm 26 right now and if I wanted to retire at say, age 65...

Ninja edit, some quick math:

Roth IRA ($5000 annual investment) at 8% interest = $1,475,998.85

PSERS ($4000-ish annual investment) = $45,000-ish x 30 years of retirement for a total benefit of $1,350,000.

Adjust for inflation. Wait, that's not actually much of a difference. Funding both now seems like a pretty good idea. I read that you need about at least $2.5 million if I intend to retire in 45 years.

Apparently also my work has been socking 5% of my ($25k-ish) paycheck as well into a TIAA-CREF account for about $1045/year as of this year. Not too bad either.

The Roth does not have an 8% interest rate, nor is that necessarily to be assumed. The 7.5% rate, as I believe it's worded, in the PSERS is guaranteed. If the returns are lower, the employer would have to make up the difference. If it's greater, I don't believe you would see that. At least this is how most pension programs work.

The Roth is a different retirement vehicle. You cannot contribute to it after you make a certain amount of income, and you fund it with after-tax dollars today. In retirement, those dollars are withdrawn tax free (on both gains, dividends, and interest) whereas the pension would be taxable income, but tax-free today.

The amount you need at retirement depends on a lot of factors. Your standard of living, your expected lifespan, etc. It sounds like you guys are fairly young, and it's good that you're thinking about this stuff. The more you save now, the WAY more you will have at retirement as well as building solid wealth-building behaviors that will continue throughout your careers. If you can continue to live beneath your means, save 15% of your income, it will be mostly irrelevant what kind of returns you get on your portfolio, at least in the near term.

With an assumed 1:1 match on the PSERS, I'd recommend maximizing that for your wife, then begin funding your Roths. After you maximize your Roths, you'd want to take advantage of any non-employer-matching retirement program your company has for you. After those are maximized, you are out of retirement account options, but can then turn to taxable investment portfolios, which should not be overlooked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

So you actually recommend two individual Roth accounts?

If my employer is already funding $1000 into a TIAA-CREF account for me, should I just match their amount? They are putting in $1000 regardless of whatever action I take.

Absolutely, Roths are amazing.

You should only fund your employer retirement account FIRST if they match your contribution. Otherwise, do your Roth first, then when that is maximized do your employer plan.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Forgive my endless questions.

Then wouldn't it just be more prudent to do two Roths rather than a pension plan and a single Roth? Sounds more flexible....

Although I guess the pension plan is kind of mandatory....

Pension plan is receiving a benefit for contribution, the employer match, which is free money. It also may have a higher contribution maximum. You'd want to maximize the free money, then the Roths, then turn to your employer plan to be able to fund more tax-deferred retirement savings. After you've exhausted those, you're stuck with taxable investment accounts, which will not perform as well over time due to the lack of a tax benefit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DuckConference posted:

A bit of commodity exposure can be a fine way to reduce volatility, but this thread is all about reducing costs, and having to deal with physical items can be pretty costly in terms of dealer spreads, shipping, security (safety deposit box and/or insurance coverage), and so forth. So investing in one of a fund that is tied to the commodity might be a better option.

General tip: If you want to add a bit of commodities to your portfolio, make sure the fund you're looking at buying actually tracks the commodity and isn't one of those terrible ones that use rolling futures contracts and which aren't intended to be held long term. If you didn't understand what that last sentence meant, steer clear of commodities for now because they aren't essential to a long term portfolio.

Not to mention that over the long-run, commodities have failed to produce excess return in a diversified portfolio, nor have they reduced portfolio risk. With neither of those two factors being there, I have no reason to have it in my portfolio.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Supermercado posted:

I'm not aware of any discount program or anything. Today I set my 401k contributions to go 100% into the Fidelity 2045 lifecycle fund and put in the orders to move my existing 401k assets into the same 2045 fund.

I did look to see if I could switch my Fidelity Roth IRA over to a lifecycle fund as well and you're right, it doesn't appear to be an option. I set up the asset transfer at Vanguard for both IRAs and apparently have to mail forms to Vanguard, who will mail them to Fidelity and USAA and handle everything from there, and put all those assets into Vanguard's 2045 target fund. So once all that process completes, I should be good to go, I think.

I guess my follow-on questions are, am I doing this right? Or, what else can/should I be doing? Following the advice in this thread, it appears like I'm on the right track by first making sure I'm getting my full company 401k match, then maxing out a Roth IRA, and then putting what more I can into my 401k. I don't want to get too much into the personal finance side of things since that's not the purpose of this thread but I'm trying to do a complete financial check-up so to speak. As for the other aspects of my financial life, I don't have any credit card debt beyond what I charge and pay off each month. I have a student loan of about $8000 and I own my house (I put 20% down and pay what equates to 2 additional monthly payments over the course of a year).

My main concern is over the cash I have on hand, I've got about $30,000 right now. This is currently split across several institutions, about $15,000 at ING, $11,000 at USAA, and $3300 at Wells Fargo (an account which I'm actually looking to close as soon as I buy a safe for my house; the only reason I have the Wells Fargo account in the first place is because I was eligible for a free safety deposit box for 18 months through my employer and needed a place for the deed to my house, title to my car, etc.) This cash is both what I pay bills out of and my emergency fund. I'm disciplined enough to not need to keep things separate but I've been trying to figure out the best thing to do with the money that's for emergencies. ING used to be great for this but since the interest rate has gotten so low, I began looking for other options. One that seems like a good idea is a Kasasa Cash checking account through a local bank. It pays 2.51% on balances up to $25,000 so long as I make a certain number of debit transactions and use direct deposit, stuff like that. 2.51% is a whole lot more than what I'm getting at ING these days, and it keeps my assets liquid in case I need them. Is this a good plan, or is there a better alternative for emergency funds?

Again, thanks for all the help, I'm very grateful to be getting things in order and taking the proper steps to get things set up right.

What good timing! I'm actually about to launch a service on SA-Mart for something just like this. I'm planning to give away five packages when I do, and if you are interested you can claim one right now. I don't have the whole write-up ready at this moment, but it'll be a modified version of this service I offer to my brick-and-mortar clients (http://www.ewafinancialplanning.com/financial-checkup/).

I'll check back in and let you know when it's all ready, I am anticipating in the next week or so, but it's being delayed as my Wife who is pregnant with twins may be hospitalized tomorrow until they're born (they're only 26 weeks) so needless to say I'm a bit distracted!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

It is amazing that this seems to be so pervasive in people's head. Even if you read and claim to believe the benefits of low cost passive indexing, it still creeps in that maybe you can do better. It is hard to get that part of your ego to shut the hell up. It took me reading about 20 books, all telling the same information, for me to really really believe it, really.

It took years of my active portion of my portfolio severely underperforming my passive to convince me. Only when I compared performance did I believe it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Aren't these "passive" indexed funds still managed by someone? In that case, it seems that by actively managing your own investments, you're trying to do better, in your spare time, than someone whose job it is to make money. That rarely works out well in any field.

Yes they are, but it doesn't require a whole lot of work. They are tracking an index, and there can be deviations from it, but all in all they pretty much have it down. It's when you get into these fancy-dancy index ETFs (that are passing themselves off as passive funds) that attempt to do 2x, or some obscure international region that it really becomes a real problem. Building a fund to match the S&P 500 is fairly trivial work for a portfolio manager. Buy 500 stocks proportionate to the makeup of the S&P, take new dollars and buy more, sell the proportion of those that are redeemed.

You are dead on though, I always encounter people who try to become stock wizards when their excellent at what they normally do. I tell them to go out and do MORE of what they're great at, and just leave their investments to a nice solid asset allocation of index funds.

(poker players are notorious for this for some reason)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Astro7x posted:

How so? The money goes in after taxes, comes out untaxed.

So do Roths

Whole life insurance policies are a rip off. You pay very high fees for an unremarkable investment account. The worst part of it, the 'savings' component of whole life does not pass to your beneficiary, just the face value.

Buy term insurance, invest the difference you would pay between the whole policy and the term, and you will be MUCH better off.

Check this out:

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/the-truth-about-life-insurance/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gvibes posted:

1) Never ever ever buy anything from Northwestern Mutual. They are utter cock smokers. More specifically, their fees are ridiculous. Even leaving aside the fact that if you die unexpectedly your cash value disappears, NWM funds have crap returns. Find an insurance broker you can trust and have them price policies if you are dumb and insist on doing this. Don't buy from scam artists.
2) There are circumstances in which it could make sense to buy cash value insurance, but if you are not maxing your roths and 401ks, then those circumstances certainly don't apply to you. Do you not have a 401k available?

I'm sure those guys at NWM didn't MEAN to put that Variable Annuity in an IRA....

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Choicecut posted:

I briefly skimmed through this thread to try and find answers to my questions, but did not see anything directly relative so please excuse me if this has already been answered.

I currently contribute to a 403b plan at the non profit hospital I work at. There is no employer match and I have to manage the investments myself. This is a huge burden for me and if I don't constantly watch the market, it tanks. I will be getting vested in the company pension plan this year and was thinking about rolling my 403b into a target planned traditional IRA.

My wife has a 401k which she maxes to the employer match and it is doing well. We both have Roth IRA's with T. Rowe price in target 2045 retirement funds. Neither are being maxed out and get about 2500 contributed per year.

My questions are, would it be wise to roll over the 403b into a traditional IRA? How would I go about doing this? If I do roll over, should I shift my contributions to max out the Roth and then contribute the rest into the traditional?

I am 33 and my wife is 30. We also contribute money into a ING savings account for our 3 year old's college fund. We were considering a 529 plan, but that is a completely different type of question.

Without an employee match you definitely should contribute to your Roth IRAs first. With a 403b you can rollover the balance into a traditional IRA (and subsequently do the backdoor Roth that has been described here in the past few pages) at any time, and I believe as often as you like. I always recommend getting out of the employee sponsored plans if possible due to the limited funds and potentially higher fees. They are valuable, however, when you contribute your max to your IRAs and still wish to do more.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gvibes posted:

My understanding is that you can't roll over the 403(b) until you leave the company.

You can, 401ks you cannot.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

xaarman posted:

1) You can move the total amount to anything you want, with a few stipulations. A: If you take it out of the Roth IRA, you will pay penalties. B: If you want to use another companys funds (IE your Roth IRA is with Vanguard and in Vanguard funds and you want to move it to a Fidelity fund) you will have to pay additional fees or roll over the account.

2) There are no fees for moving between Vanguard funds when using Vanguard as your company.

3) Yes, sans the TSP which you may or may not be eligible for/want to use.

Question of my own: What's the minimum amount where annually rebalancing a portfolio is necessary and relevant?

We use 5% bands and a minimum of $3000 in transaction size for rebalancing. Anything smaller in $ is too expensive in commissions and the 5% let's the positions run a little.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's the current goon-approved broker for doing automatic investments with no/minimal cost into index funds either through etfs or funds? I see Schwab waives the minimum if you set up a $100/mo transfer in, but I'd like to also not get hit with a monthly commission also. At $240/mo that I intend to start with, the $8.95 would be significant enough to give me pause on the automatic investment.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's for a taxable account, sorry for not specifying. I think I'll check out the vanguard offerings since ill be buying vanguard funds mostly anyway.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Well, I don't think we'll see another like it* but maybe I should account for that more

We did just elect Trump after all.

Edit: * For the foreseeable future, anyways

Think more about interest rates. Preferred Stocks act more similarly to bonds than common stocks. We are at absurdly low interest rates right now. If rates increase in the near future, which they do not have much room to go lower, than the price of preferred stocks are likely to decline as their fixed dividend will be less valuable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Are you saying it would drop and stay there as opposed to a bond fund dropping but creeping back up?

I'm saying that a major part of the pricing of a preferred stock is going to be dependent on interest rates, the rest mostly has to do with the underlying company. If the risk free rate is 2% (roughly 10-year treasury), and the preferred stock pays out at 7% it may be priced at the $60 you see based on all of its other factors. If interest rates rise, the dividend above the risk free rate will be smaller (7% against the 2%), which means it has less value. Investors will only be receiving 4% over the risk free versus 5%. That will put pressure on the price.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Because the tax free interest is nullified in a tax free IRA and you still take whatever trade-offs (increasing your exposure to the financial well-being of your home state)? I'm still learning, and it's not completely obvious to me yet.

Right. More specifically you're getting a lower return for no reason in an IRA. In a taxable account, if you have a high tax bracket that 2.5% has the same value as ~4% on taxable bonds.

Throw all your crazy taxable bonds and REITs in your tax deferred or Roth account.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rebalance out of your company stock quarterly. You have your human capital tied up in the company, don't take a double whammy unless there's a discount to be had.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Currently only 5% of my contribution is going to the stock. I'd like to think the company isn't going anywhere for a while, but I was around for the last crash.

That I hadn't thought of.

To dive a tiny bit deeper. The reason we're mentioning a discount here is that many stock purchase plans offer a discount, meaning free money. So if they let you purchase it for 15% lower than market, you can turn around and sell it immediately for guaranteed gain. That may be worth the risk mentioned above for the reward. However, if it's not offered at a discount, there's no shortage of opportunities to deploy capital and get a reasonable return.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Charles Mansion posted:

If people contribute far less to their 401k, won't that also have major consequences for the stock market? How much in total is invested on a monthly or annual basis through 401k accounts?

Yes, there are many who believe that a large part of the growth in the stock market in the past thirty years has a lot to do with the boomers funding their 401ks like crazy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

If I’m wrong then that’s fine. I am not an expert by any means. Happy to be wrong about that!

Would be awesome if you're right. My savings rate is increasing each month, could really use a fire sale right now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

My most recent purchase was a Land Cruiser for the wife. They are like $82k new, which is nauseating. CPO 2 years old with 80k miles for like $43k. That is an INSANE amount of savings for essentially the same thing. Was gonna pay cash, but they gave me something like 1.8% 0 cash down from a local credit union so I told them to throw $30k on there because, not that it matters because I have emergency funds, I will be at NO point anywhere even close to upside down.

Holy cow, 40k miles a year? That is a huge savings but also a gigantic amount of the cars usable life eating up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

You need a fee only planner, brother.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Something Offal posted:

I'm pretty sure financial advice is a fairly unregulated industry. Do you even need any certifications to do what you describe and help some people open up Vanguard stuff?

Really hope this is tongue in cheek.

If you're going to offer any financial advice, you need to file with your state as an RIA. If you're going to collect loads or commissions, you will need to take the appropriate Series exams and have a registered broker/dealer sponsor you.

You can relatively simply set up an RIA. There are off-the-shelf solutions that will help you file the necessary paperwork and pay the appropriate fees to hang your shingle. It's very doable as a side business if you have a decent population of folks to serve as a customer base. The hard part will be differentiating yourself from other advisors and justifying your fee. For your services, I'd suggest something more conservative like .3-.5% AUM fee.

Or just have the guy buy you lunch and lay some wisdom on him.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Did you used to play Call of Duty with the goons as J 2 the Ackson?

Were you part of the Hush crew too? What was your GT?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

most recently: im a doc irl, most infamously: perl necklace. previously: ayn randy, smeg macaroni, howd ur dad die, black cops hack.

TraderStavros represent. Not sure if you were around when I figured out how to hook up my computer to the Xbox Live remote and was playing soundboards of How to Catch a Predator and other wacky stuff.

I miss those days when I could spend hours and hours doing stupid stuff with goons online. Before responsibilities.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My take: Only sell and payoff Mortgage if you'll sleep better at night. You'll be fine either way as you're very well set up on all fronts. One is slightly more efficient / productive than the other, but in your situation it won't make a significant impact if you choose one or the other.

There is an impact for sure, but you'll be fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where were you when a goon said Art and Amazon are the same type of investment

Amazon is not a Greater Fool asset. It has value based on its growth prospects, business operations, cash flow, real estate, physical inventory, etc

The art is paint and canvas and whatever another fool would pay for it

Like bitcoin.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Question about backdoor Roths and our IRAs:

I’m at the point where my AGI is very close to not being able to make a standard Roth IRA contribution. I fully understand that if I want to avoid the pro-rata rule, I’ll need to roll my Traditional IRAs into my 401(k) and then follow the backdoor process. How are my wife’s traditional IRAs treated? Can I leave hers and still complete the backdoor process, or will the value of her IRA play into the pro-rata rule if it’s only for MY Roth IRA contribution. We are MFJ, but wasn’t sure if there was a distinction between who was making the contribution or if it was for the pair of us.

She works part time and has access to a 403(b), but I’m not sure she can roll her Traditional IRA into it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

80k posted:

Her IRA doesn't affect your backdoor IRA. Only worry about hers if/when she is interested in doing backdoor's herself.

Thanks for clarifying. I still have headroom in our budget to increase her 403(b) so may still continue down that path, but I'd like to have options at the end of the year. Since she's part time (actually on leave right now due to not willing to work in the schools during the pandemic) she's not contributing anything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sso launched in 2006 :grin:

I went heavy into SSO in 09, it paid off but was stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fart simpson posted:

why do you think it was stupid?

The position alone wasn't. It was way too much risk for me and too much of my account at the time in it.

Mistakes were made.