Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Twenty-Seven posted:

Oh hello. Guzzi v11 Sport in my mechanic's dad's mess of a garage. Pretty cruddy picture but it's what I've got on hand. Also visible: the XR 100 of my youth :3:

:swoon:

and let's all just pretend it still looks exactly like that, only with a corbin seat and never speak of it again, k? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

finally got caught up on this thread, here's my Peg!

Click here for the full 940x1408 image.

Had it for 2 months now, so much fun to ride. I even got the front wheel up a lil bit the other day. Not on purpose, but not unexpected either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheFonz posted:

How does this work for moving?

Like, I'm looking to move to England. I have had a valid M endorsement here is the states for years, do I have to start all over?

I'll try to find the link, you might be lucky or you might not. I just moved to the uk from Canada and for us it's a direct swap. Hand in your Canadian license an get a uk one with the equivalent ratings. That might be a commonwealth thing though, so that little uprising you had a few centuries ago moth have nixed your chances :). There might be individual states with a reciprocal agreement though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

here's the link I was thinking about
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/MotoringDecisionTrees/HowToImportorExportaVehicle/exchange_driving_licence.dsb
looks like you're out of luck though, the designated countries are: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.
You can ride/drive for up to a year on your home license though, but then you have to stop driving or do the UK tests.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

deliverator posted:

Traded my 08 VFR800 for this 08 Triumph Tiger 1050. :cool:

I've looked at those on and off for a while.. the white ones look really nice. There's something I can't get over about the seat though, I think it's too wide, so you sit sort of bow-legged. At least that's my impression from the showroom. Very nice though!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

internet inc posted:

'Sup helmet buddy. :) I, like you, wish it were a bit better quality because the design is rad.

Nice bike, too!

You got a Dreamtime too? That makes 3 of us now! The fit for me is excellent, but yeah, the soft bits on the bottom of the helmet are already getting pretty threadbare after only about 1.5-2 years of ownership.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

Gonna pick this up tomorrow:

'88 Honda Hawk GT

Mechanically, it's in great condition. It was owned by two brothers who've worked on Hawks for years, and it my friend took a ride and thought it reflected that. Cosmetically, it's in pretty rough condition. I'm planning on repainting the spare cowl and gas tank with plastidip (will it hold up on the gas tank?), and then restoring it down the line when I get a real job.

owned by two Honda Bros, you say?..........:suicide:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Hi I bought a drag bike and now complain constantly about not being able to turn or get good gas mileage. Then I get a nice empty road with a high speed limit that lets me reach the VBoost and I remember why I bought it, and that I would absolutely buy it all over again. It's a bit like that feeling when you first start to drop on a roller coaster... but you get to operate the roller coaster and ride it at the same time.

It looks right at home in a mix match of sport tour and cruisers.

I remember my first experience of V-Boost, I was riding pillion on my friend's new Max. It was like the Millennium Falcon hitting light speed. There's nothing quite like it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

So how different is the V-Boost thing than secondaries opening up on a modern bike like the ZX14 or Concours 14?

That asked, I secretly lust for a V-Max and will someday own one. Might be a newer gen though although the older ones have a soft spot in my heart. I think I still have a sales brochure from when I almost bought one brand new in 1999/2000 or so.

The V-boost butterflies are essentially like crossfeed valves. Below v-boost they are shut and each carb supplies it's own cylinder with air/fuel mixture. As they open to full, they permit each cylinder to draw all the air/fuel mixture from both carbs on that bank. Don't know if that's the same or not but it's awesome.

a picture:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My new bike!

(colour from my phone is pretty washed out... she's a lot more red than that!)

I think I'll call her Vanna on account of her number plate being almost all vowels...

Wow, now this is how a motorcycle should feel... and sound. Mightily impressed, and I haven't even been on the motorway yet. Everything is just so effortless (except for maybe the hydraulic clutch... a bit heavy, that). I got her for a fair bargain, 14.5k miles on the clock, full service history, alarm, heated grips, a few age related marks but overall pretty decent shape. Even most of the paint is still on the engine! It'll need a new rear tire probably by spring (the pilot power on the back is pretty hexagonal in profile, will be replaced with a pilot road 2 to match the front), and a rack and box for the back.
As the English say, I'm well chuffed!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Excuse lovely mobile phone pic...

It's not my 40th birthday until tomorrow so this does not, in any way, constitute a midlife crisis.

Sweet, but wow if any bike was ever crying out for a tail tidy it's that one!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:siren:New Bike!:siren:

2018 GSX-S750, or as I call it, the Great Success (g. Sxs, you see where I'm coming from. Yes I'm trying to hard to make that a thing. Yes I know it will never be a thing).
It is a Very Good Bike. Just lovely to ride, and comfortable, and sounds amazing. I am very happy!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FBS posted:

:hellyeah: nice bike!

Do you have any mods or farkles planned for it or are you happy with it as-is for now?

I'm planning on getting a Givi rear rack for it and top box if I can find a deal on the one I want. And probably some rim tape too. Probably get some heated grips come winter, but that's a ways away yet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Return Loss posted:

Looks great. I wouldn't put rim tape on it, but that's a personal preference. That tail needs fixing though.

Yeah I get it, but honestly most tail tidies look badly hacked on and if I'm putting a rack on it, there's going to be something sticking out back there anyway. Maybe there's a way to add all the tail stuff to something that attaches to the rack... I've been thinking about joining a local maker lab, so maybe I can figure out something that can be 3d printed, but that's going to be a long project. I really like those swingarm mounted fender plate holders like the Katana has, but I doubt anyone makes anything like that for the GSX-S. So in the end, I'm fine with leaving it stock for now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You guys ever heard of sheet metal?

Finger Prince posted:

honestly most tail tidies look badly hacked on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oooh right so your definition of 'good' is 'practical vehicle' in which case yeah nah, no Ducati can do that for you sorry.

*ahem*Multistrada

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I don't consider something you can't safely ride outside of dealer range practical.

The newer bikes also have some really, really dumb design decisions that I can't really explain, things like the monster rear MC reservoir that gets boiled cause it's an inch from the exhaust header, the multi's fundamentally not-fit-for-purpose rear brake design, that kind of thing. The older ducs were poorly built and electrically questionable but the fundamental designs were always very sound and clearly shaped by the harsh rigors of racing; the newer bikes feel much more like just a 'product' and have stuff on them no sensible designer would do.

Outside of dealer range is an infinitely variable line to draw, and is going to depend on where you live, where you ride, what your level of comfort is, what your budget is, how well covered you are for insurance or roadside assistance, etc., etc., etc.
You're almost never outside of dealer range for KTM, since their off-road stuff is omnipresent. Would you own one though? Would you plan a road trip on a long weekend knowing the only Honda dealer within 8 hours is closed Sunday and Monday?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

have more KTM dealers started carrying the street bikes? used to be most KTM dealers were dirt only, and wouldn't work on the street bikes except maybe sumos

Probably not, but they can order the parts, and the ape in the back holding the rattle gun can scratch his head while holding an upside down wiring diagram just as well as the one at the Honda powersports dealership.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I would specifically choose a Honda if I knew I’d frequently be 8 hours away from a mechanic.

Not a mechanic, a dealership. The example given for being a pain was getting the bike to a dealership for a recall. That's not the same thing fixing a broken clutch cable, a flat battery, or getting a flat tire four hours from home.
Nobody has ever said "Gosh, what if I need my desmo valves adjusted while I'm out for a Sunday ride! Better play it safe and take the car".
If you have, a Honda is what you deserve.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 17, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm going to use another manufacturer as a punching bag for a sec because they've historically done a lot more sales in the touring market, ie "buy our bikes and ride the world", they have a poo poo dealer network, at least in the US, and they do some stupid poo poo that Ducati is doing now too: BMW

Fixing a broken clutch cable or a flat tire is one thing, fixing the error code your bike's computer is throwing that won't let you start it is something entirely different. There is a whole-rear end company whose revenue stream is based on making and selling tools that will hook into the wiring harness on various flavors of BMW to clear codes, reset service lights, etc. so you can at least stand a chance of continuing a ride and not paying for a 100+ mile tow if your bike's computer decides to gently caress you over. On very late-model BMWs, doing things like replacing fuel pumps - something any mechanic can do - also requires activating the part with the bike's computer, which requires dealer-only software - something the corner wrench probably can't help with.

Ducati does the same sort of thing. One of the fuel level senders I replaced was a newer revision than the one that had failed, and the bike would not recognize it until I took it to the dealer to get the ECU updated. If the fuel pump had failed and not the fuel level sender, I would've been stuck renting a trailer, and that's with the bike stuck at home and not the rear end end of nowhere. I won't be surprised if Honda (and other manufacturers) are doing this too, but there are a shitload more Honda dealers AND their bikes and parts are more reliable.

Unless and until the US passes a national right-to-repair law, the dealer-only software gotcha means that if you want to ride a modern bike more than 100 miles or so from a dealer, it either A) better be rock solid reliable or B) you should make sure you have drat good tow coverage and a lot of patience

That's a fair point, and a good reminder to myself that the Ducati I have had personal experience with is now nearly 20 years old, and despite a fully sketchy history of 5 prior owners over like 10 years, had zero issues in the years I owned it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

This is why I hate scuba diving. It's half a day of twatting about for 45 minutes of "fun" where half the time you are watching your depth and clearing your mask and making OK signs.

My wife loves scuba diving and I have the PADI basic qualification (got it just to make her happy), but I'll be damned if I ever use it again.

I did a scuba course and learned that it's a whole lot more faffing about than I'm prepared to deal with for a bit of a splash about to look at some cool fish and corals, and I really just prefer snorkeling.
I think that's why I never really had an interest in getting a PPL. Some people love the charting and planning and logbook keeping and stuff, and more power to them. I think I'd rather jump off a cliff with a parachute and a fan strapped to my rear end. I really ought to try paragliding.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 24, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think it's Varadero syndrome. The 1200+cc ADV market is super hot, and the only engine on the shelf that could work for that is the VFR 1200 mill. Step 1: put it in a tall-rounder chassis (thanks for that one, Revzilla), step 2:... , step 3: profit!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you can look at a part of your bike that isn’t a sticker and ask “why was this built the way it’s built?”, and your answer isn’t “because it performs or helps perform XYZ function”, then chances are high you’re looking at a not good bike ™️

There is so much wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start.
E- actually, it's much easier to say that I include looking cool and good as an XYZ function, and then we can agree.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Things designed perfectly for a function automatically look awesome. My statement stands imo

Being engineered well to do a thing well does not preclude good looks at all

This exhaust functions and does not look awesome.

This exhaust functions and looks awesome.

Honda didn't have to make it look good. They could have gone the Yamaha route. But by your definition, I look at the Honda exhaust and ask if the reason it looks like that is strictly because of function, and the answer is no. So it isn't a good bike. Unless you concede that a bike can be good while also taking aesthetics into consideration. Then the exhaust looks that way for the function of aesthetics, which is good, while also performing the function of removing and catalyzing waste gasses from the engine, which is also good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t think I ever didn’t concede that. What I’m talking about is fake carburetors, fake air cooling fins on water cooled bikes, vents and things that don’t serve a function.

Stuff like that. Both of those exhausts do their job and one of them looks better than the other doing it.

Things engineered to the utmost degree to work with everything else and perform their function flawlessly automatically look good, like slavvys 916 example and unlike that Yamaha example.

My original question was “does this help accomplish xyz” which the Yamaha exhaust does. Is it perfectly engineered and therefore automatically beautiful? No it is not. But it’s not a bad bike either because of that. It still is there to accomplish a task and is not in the realm of pretend carburetors.

I know what you mean now that you've expanded on it, but your OP does make it sound like you're saying aesthetics stand in opposition to good engineering, and if a company puts thought and care and effort into design, they probably don't care about building a good bike. Both the Honda and the Yamaha are good bikes, but Honda took the extra step of making their functional bits look good. So you can't just look at some bike bits that are there for the purpose of looking good in the process of performing their function and say "well it must not be a good bike then".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

If they just painted the exhaust black it would be fine on the Yamaha.

They ran out of black paint trying to hide the ugly on the rest of the bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It seems Yamaha only ever spends design bucks on the R bikes, which are consistently cool looking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a movement in some business to "get back to basics" and "focus on what you're good at". It's not necessarily a bad thing that they are dropping markets that aren't what the brand is about. Yamaha is primarily a technology and innovation company. Building and maintaining an entire brand of "heritage" motorcycles, and the cultivating a whole retrograde cruiser/retro thing kind of goes against what they're about. Even the styling on the XSR is retro as imagined by some cyberpunk nightmare. I kind of compare them to Ducati in a way. Yes they made the scrambler and the diavel, but both those bikes are firmly in the ouevre of what Ducati is as a brand. Looking at the bikes that are in Yamaha's lineup now, I can say that yeah, these are bikes that to me tell me what Yamaha is about. Oh they're ugly as sin, sure. But they're all a showcase of Yamahaness.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Having said that, though, more RPM = better than. I want an engine that sounds like a V10 F1 car. Which is why the proliferation of singles frustrates me today. Big pistons no fun.

Slavvy posted:

And yes, middleweight singles and i2's are sooo tedious compared to a zippy little four or a banging V.

Preach.

Personally, the most important metric to judge an engine by is musicality. There has to be some tonality to it. And not just as a byproduct of function, but something someone considered in the design and chose to emphasize. My GSX-S doesn't have to sound like it does, but the designers knew it could, so they made it so you could hear the intakes sing (special mention to the engineers at Yoshimura).
In bikes built for racing like the flat plane R1 and various Ducati superbikes, sound probably doesn't factor in much other than as a byproduct, but when they stick that engine in a street chassis, then the designers can say "ok, how do we want this bike to sound. How should the sound reflect the character of this bike." Harleys have a really lovely low timpanic (like the drum) rumble with stock pipes. Unfortunately, mouth breathers just put straight pipes on them and then they just sound like the world's loudest rear end clapping fart. If the only thing you're considering an engine for is how it moves the bike forward, you end up with a BMW or maybe some (most) Hondas. People love those bikes, and they're not wrong to, but like, imagine Blade Runner without the Vangelis score. You can have the most brilliant bike, but without the music of the engine, it falls flat. I think some electric bike manufacturers understand this, since they can't sound loud, they have to sound good. I can't wait to see some Siemens engineers go to work on EV drivetrains so they can make some kind of chord progression as they accelerate.

Sorry that was some coffee induced stream of consciousness shitposting. Tl;Dr engines gotta sound good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah, exactly that, but on an electric motorbike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got a Hennessy hammock, but only used it once and it wasn't a great experience. Part of that is down to the lack of good securing points at the campsite so it kind of sagged, and part was due to the fact that I didn't bother with the rain fly or an eye mask and the sun comes up at like 4:30am. I was very thankful to crawl into my buddy's blackout festival tent after he got up for a few extra hours of sleep. I'm going to try it again next week, and try to be more selective of the camp site.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

I’ve read good things about those which is a bummer, but I just have some cheapo amazon special that I pair with eno straps and it’s served me well. and yeah lol morning sun will get you up ASAP in them. then again I usually end up passing out whenever the fire dies so sunrise is a decent amount of time away thankfully :D

It has the potential to be good, as long as you can hang it well. That's why I want to give it another try. Other than a bivvy, you can't beat it for form factor. I still worry that since I'm mostly a side and stomach sleeper, it's not going to work for me long term, but we'll see.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I have a hammock I used to use on shift where all the sleeping quarters got way too hot during summer. I left it up in the courtyard for a summer and one big problem (besides rear end in a top hat construction workers using it without permission from anyone) I discovered was a massive spider infestation after a while. Literally hundreds all over the fabric, with nets over several folds.
This has really put me off outdoor hammocking, because what is to keep spiders or bugs from just crawling across the mounts into my bed?

The camping specific ones have a no-see-um mesh over the whole top. You get in from the bottom and it seals up behind you. It's basically a tent you hang between two trees instead of on poles. The only bugs that get in are the ones that hitch a ride on you. They even do jungle expedition strength ones that even tropical demon bugs can't bite through.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Road legal dirt bike + studded tires + perhaps an uprated generator to run heated gear.

It's Northern Alberta. You'll need full-on snowmobiling gear. Might as well just get a snowmobile.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Doing my usual route through BC

Nice! I'm in Golden getting lunch, then hotel in Kamloops tonight, then taking the 99 down to Vancouver. It was supposed to be a longer, more scenic trip this time, but fate and fuckery conspired to make it a direct shot. Still get to take the 99 from Kamloops at least, I've been wanting to do that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

There’s really something great about riding all day then rolling into your spot for the night stiff and tired and peeling off all that gear. I bet it’s even more amazing with camping instead of a hotel or something

It's the most amazing possible if there's a hot tub at the end of that day. A jump in a lake is a close runner up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Awesome, I've never done the 99! Hope it's a good time!

This kid at the Petrocan in Golden wanted to take pictures of my bike yesterday. I wish it'd been a little cleaner, but of course I was like yeah go ahead dude... Wonder where those are gonna end up!

Here's my trip report. The 99 is a great road, with some caveats. Passing opportunities are few and far between, and the chances of getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like a caravan are very high, so you have to use your judgment on double yellows with reasonable sight lines. Also the pavement in places is pretty/very rough. The climb and descent out of Lillooet is very technical, but in
all likely hood you're going to be doing 30km/h behind a truck towing a camper. But when you've got nobody ahead of you and some decent pavement and a twisty section, it's fantastic. The scenery is amazing, too. Once you're past Pemberton and through the Whistler traffic, it's just the sea to sky highway south to Vancouver which is nice and curvy, as highways go, but it's not the highlight.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T Zero posted:

I'm renting the 401 here and I came back to the lot to find its beeg Italian brother showed up

I'm partial to the green colorway but this is superb.

Maybe if it was a Duke 790 you found, but that's clearly an Aprilia.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oh it's got rain mode alright

As in, won't-start-in-the-? :v:

I always liked the stylized, almost graffiti-esque "690" tank decals on that generation Duke. They're borderline try-hard, and if you put something like that on a Honda it would look loving stupid, but the Duke has just enough swagger to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I think it actually comes from Samsung.

Idk about that, I've had Samsungs for over a decade and none of them ever watermarked a photo.