Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Techniichan posted:

I want that pad, but I can't find any located in the US. Anybody know of a US equivalent keyboard/mouse pad? eBay has failed me.

I use a cheapy Alsop I got at Office Depot like this but there's also the Glock bench mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Am I missing something between the two? I've had a Vika for a few years now and love it.

The Vika seems a bit shoddier unless you use a butcher block or old solid wood top.

Also, anyone get insane RF buzz in speakers when you use the Signum cable managament?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

That mat is really cool, actually. Does anybody else (still in business) make products like that?

Ikea makes the KNÖS, and the PRÖJS, but they don't ship them. Caveat emptor: The KNÖS has metal in it which blocks wireless keyboards and mice, and the PRÖJS isn't all that slick unless you spray silicone on it.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I would definitely opt for a more robust desktop or butcher block if I was going to buy another Ikea desk. The vanilla particle board top has a huge dip in the middle of mine where my monitor sits and because of the weight of the Signum cable organizer underneath.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

His & Her Vika's both warping from monitor weight. Going to just get one long butcher-block top next time Ikea has them in stock.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

It works out OK. Actually when we had them set up at a 90, I had a harder time concentrating because it was just too much going on in my periphery and every time we needed the other's attention with something we'd have to get up to view the other's screen. If they were any closer it would be a problem. On the plus side, cable management is a breeze.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Misogynist and Juriko posted:

Truth.

These guys are absolutely right. I used to do cabinetry, and almost every shop out there can set you up with something customized to your needs for around the same price as an office furniture store will sell you their flat-pack special.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wait, you spent $1200 on that chair? :stare:

Watch out, you are very close to SA heresy.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

horchata posted:

also are galants supposed to be this wobbly? even with a little downward push the monitor shakes and the mouse cursor moves a little. Even typing is enough sometimes

Judging by your mad capitalization & punctuation skillz, I'd say you probably forgot a screw or didn't tighten them down enough. Mine doesn't bounce in the least bit...

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I'm noticing a distinct lack of plants on Goon desks.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

horchata posted:

what exactly are those glowy stick thingies? they look pretty cool

They are "Lighted Pussy Willow Branches" in an old antique jar. I Put them up around the holidays and decided to leave them up.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Raikiri posted:

Are they battery operated? Only ones I've seen are and and it seems like you'd be changing them every 2 minutes.

Naw, there is an AC plug. It's something like this. What length is that desktop? Where'd you get it?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Triikan posted:

Can anybody identify this desk?

Google "Metro Prep Table".

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

I actually went out to a hardware store and took a look at doors that are manufactured the same way (hollow with a paper core) and they seemed sturdy enough, so I placed an order for the birch version of the desk. I hope it doesn't get mangled during shipment.

I have a few of those Vika Amon desks - I posted them earlier in the thread. Caveat emptor, if you have a monitor stand or heavy monitors they sag in the middle. If your order hasn't gone through, seriously consider the Numerar or Lagan butcher block top. They aren't much more money, but are far better quality.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

Speaking of which, when did you start to notice that your monitor had begun to take a toll on the desk?

3 or 4 months in. This is on two desks with monitor stands. An extra leg in the back would probably help. One plus with the hollow-core door desks is that wireless mouse & keyboards get a great signal!

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

How big was your monitor?

I think they are 22" & 24". Here's a pic from awhile back. The sag is not that bad, but there is definitely a dip in both of them.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

slightpirate posted:

I really like the look and feel of the metal plumbing pipe desks with a butcherblock top on them, but I'm poor. The pipes won't be hard or crazy expensive to get, but the top might be. Is there a good resource for finding something comparable?

Ikea Numerar. Even if you have the tools and know-how, you couldn't make one in a cabinet shop for that cheap. If that's too much for your pocket-book look around for old doors.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Latest iteration of the His/Hers office.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

She does have matching monitors. She's on the left.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

Does she center the mouse, or does she lean to the right to use the keyboard? Either way is bonkers.

She actually uses it the traditional way, but habitually stores it dead-center to her keyboard. Maybe someone can give me some pointers on training the waifu on goon-approved mouse placement?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

donzwei posted:

Has anyone tried to mount a triple monitor stand on a Ikea Vika table? I'm wondering if the honeycomb design inside the table is strong enough to hold the weight of three monitors in one spot.

With a dual mount and two 24"s the Vika Amon sags from the weight. This can be offset by placing an extra leg in the back. I'd just spend the extra cash and get one of the solid Vika tops like the Furuskog or Byske - the quality difference is night & day.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

IUG posted:

Why is it so yellow?

I'm guessing Flux.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured I'd ask you guys as there is where I've seen a bit of desktop discussion going on.

What do you all think of this vs getting a galant, other than the price difference. I'm looking for a corner type desk so I can move around, I'm hoping I'll get work from home soon, and my current desk just isn't cutting it.

The Galant is better in all respects. Cable management, leg room, flexibility, upgradable parts...

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

FetalDave posted:

How exactly does it make cable management easier? Does the Galant come with some sort of management accessories?

Expanding on what Factory Factory said, I'd personally go for the this cable management tray rather than the cage looking one. This thing is also pretty rad.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone who is concerned with getting the perfect Chair/table/monitor mounts/etc... your prayers are answered with one device to rule them all.

http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products

The only issue I can see is having to put up with lovely BOSE speakers in otherwise premium products.

I want one of these so badly...

I think I've seen that before...

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Look at some of the Level Mount models on Amazon. They have several different things I imagine it would be easy to ghetto rig.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Question about the GALANT. Is the optional computer holder large/strong enough to support a big tower like a 650D? Is there another one on the market that can. Bonus points if it's not hideous.

No, if you are talking about the Summera, it's not burly enough to hold a 25lb+ tower unless they've reworked the design recently. I'd use one of these instead.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

duomo posted:

I've had an NZXT H2 on the Summera without any issues (no creaking or warping) for about a year now, but that case is 5 pounds lighter than the 650D.

Yeah, but the 650D is like 25lb with no PSU or hardware inside. They used to have those Summera tower holders at a company I did some work for and almost everyone of them was mangled somehow. Like I said, maybe they've re-engineered the design?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Ikea LACK side table supremacy

If you are limiting yourself to Ikea, you could also buy an appropriate sized shelf and these feet which come in 4" or 8" to keep the tower up off the floor for dirt cheap.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

I converted to a standing setup over the weekend. This is day 3 and my feet and legs are just starting to forgive me. I'm currently standing on a pillow, and there's a squishy mat coming tomorrow. Living like poo poo because my cables aren't long enough to use the cable tray anymore. I tried though :cripes:

Have you considered just buying some adjustable legs like these and sending those ghetto jack stands back? Monoprice and Amazon make extenders for most cables...

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

durk onion posted:

Does VPN qualify as not being on the same network? The work computer will still go through my router at home. I don't really see a software solution working though since I'd like to use both monitors for work and then both for my personal computer like the officer said. I've used Synergy before but each monitor was dedicated to a certain computer. My monitors only have one input so I can't have both machines plugged into the same monitor at once.

In the past when I was remoting in to work and had to use their pre-configured Cisco ASA5505 to VPN into their domain I couldn't get a KVM to work correctly with my home pc which was on my home network. I tried several things and ended up routing two DVI cables from the work box and two HDMI cables from my home box to the same monitors. Supposedly there is a way to set up hotkeys to switch monitor input, but I never could get it to work.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Blindeye posted:

I have this exact desk and after I moved cross country the movers hosed with the little metal tabs that fit a lot of the metal frame together and we had to force it all back into place. The thing feels wobbly as hell now compared to before. Honestly because the bottom is metal construction short of welding the base together I can't think of how to sturdy it up.

Try the little plastic wedges /shims they use to steady tables.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't understand how people can tolerate having two monitors like that. I can understand one, or three; but how do you tolerate the asymmetry of having two? Not to mention the way it prevents you from correctly positioning your speakers.

Maybe they aren't gaming with both monitors? I use my second monitor for palettes and to monitor security cameras.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not talking about gaming, I'm talking about desk aesthetics.
:goonsay:

Seriously, most of these monitor arrays are not by design, they are precariously balanced on flatpack night stands or desks they found out by the dumpster of their dorm.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Safetyland posted:

I bought a bigger house.

It needed some work.

So I built myself a den inside.

Then I starting making it cozy.

Cozy indeed.

So much more to do, but man, it's nice to chill the gently caress out in here and scream at video games.

Niiiiiice. Did you tape & float that yourself or is that wallpaper? What's the flooring?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

.random posted:

TL;DR: I have a question regarding layout (both physical and logical), rather than a picture of my desk itself. I wasn't sure where to ask such a thing, but perhaps the experts in usable design in this thread can assist?

Have you looked at j5 Create Wormhole Switches?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

.random posted:

No! Cool looking stuff, though. At first glance, it looks like it probably violates the "isolation" I need to preserve, but it's probably very useful for several other situations I've come across in the past, so thanks!

What is the spec for isolation you need? I use it for my work machine through a VPN on a Cisco ASA5550 Security Appliance and a personal machine on the local network. All programmed functionality with a Logitech G500 mouse works just fine, but you have to have the drivers on both devices. Sometimes I need to use a wireless mouse & keyboard with a unified receiver and that works fine as well. Clipboard sharing doesn't have to be enabled. There is functionality to drag the mouse and keyboard focus to the other device's monitor, but I use a keyboard shortcut to switch focus, so the devices are wholly independent.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Can't answer sorry

Is 1 meter enough? :tinfoil:

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Chakron posted:

Yeah I'm probably in that territory now. Welp.

Just buy a butcher block top to your specs from Ikea or wherever and re-use your legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Triikan posted:

How much do the 8 foot gladiators sell for when they're on sale? Found one on Craigslist that I'll probably pick up, but don't want to make sure I'm not paying more than I can get it on sale.

$500+ depending on the surface and variant. Bamboo is more, but they go on sale erratically which knocks off 25% or so.