Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo this just suddenly came to me while laying in bed; this is Slime Sports (Slime Soccer, Slime Volleyball, etc). I was surprised to see that not only does this game still exist in some playable form, but it had a terrible Steam release earlier this year!

loving Slime Volleyball. I remember the smug face a slime got when it was match point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Probably, though there aren't a ton of don't-give-a-poo poo players in iRacing because it's a subscription service (in part to discourage people who don't give a poo poo from registering, kinda like the tenbux barrier here).

I set my dad up with an account a couple years ago and we occasionally participate in the same race :allears:. It's worth checking out if you're sick of people in other games ramming you off a corner in a manner that would probably result in a DQ in real life.

That said, there's no shortage of people who suck getting mad at other people for something that you could easily blame both parties for, especially in the rookie series. The voice chat rage can be entertaining.

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 30, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Golbez posted:

Second to last is almost certainly Scorched Earth, though it wasn't side-scrolling, it was single-screen.

The last one is Gorilla.bas, an ancient game included with MS-DOS 5.

My childhood :swoon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Virtual On was my favorite Saturn game! I was all about the pink robot that shot hearts and kiss lasers, because it was a girl robot. What a stupid loving game :D.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Game Names You've Forgotten - I don't know, I was 8

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

That reminds me of Jungle Strike. I loved when Pops would rent that game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

This is more of a creativity application than a game, but it's worth a shot:

Old DOS application, I'm thinking either EGA or VGA graphics, that allowed you to create animated scenes by placing sprites in a background, sort of like Mario Paint but almost definitely earlier.

I distinctly remember a sprite animation of an anthropomorphic hamburger kind of puking up a tomato, but I can't say for certain it was built-in to the app, as my dad used to do some weird poo poo and I was pretty young.

Probably not what you're looking for, but your post reminded me of Fantavision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjj7Yf3JRvE

Best viewed at 0.5 or 0.25 speed. I loved watching this demo when I was 5. :allears:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played a ridiculous amount of the G-Police demo back in the day but never got the full game

I played the Daggerfall demo for like 3 years :hfive:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same! The island of Betony was larger than most full-priced games.

Yeah, I remember playing the full game years later and feeling like, drat, seems like the biggest difference is the existence of the main quest line, which I never cared about.

Man, I robbed The Champion Smithy so many times...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have you heard about Daggerfall Unity? It's practically done, and is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton?s=09

I'd not, and that's cool as poo poo!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Dick posted:

Xbox 360

Mr. Dick remembers playing the demo, not sure it ever got released though.

3d puzzle-ish platformer, kid and a monster. Demo consisted of escaping a cave by pushing blocks, giving leg-ups and pulling levers, puzzle platform stuff.

Not what you're thinking of, but there's a great VR game, Carly & the Reaperman, in which one player (sitting at the monitor) plays a 3d platformer, and is assisted by the VR player, who is a giant ghostly being who moves blocks and poo poo around to make paths, and points out things that the screen player can't see. It's great to play with family.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One of those MacVenture games? I see that Uninvited had a C64 version.

Oh no!!!! Axe cut you!!!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I played it when I was like 6, and my favorite thing to do was ignite the thrusters when someone knocked on my door, frying them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

There is an old racing or car themed game with super stylish low poly character (person not car) graphics that still look great now. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Year'ish/system?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Interstate 76 loving owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfAHtdMWcMA

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

X-COM: UFO Defense uses a music track that I swear I've heard in other games as a sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJUMWxK5vM&t=596s
(should start at 9:56)

The "wavy" bit that plays for like 8 seconds was definitely a sound effect in another game. I vaguely place it as playing after you make a menu selection of some sort, like if you select to fabricate or upgrade something. But I can't place it for the life of me. Does anybody know what game used this bit as a sound effect?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm 99% sure it's in one of the new XCOM games. That would make sense. Never mind :D

Edit 2: Yeah, it plays when you check the Psi Lab results in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Shine fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hunter/Hunted loving ruled and I still have the dumbass soundtrack on my computer.

But holy poo poo the "YOU'RE LOOKING AT MY SCREEN" "NO I'M NOT" arguments with my brother were the loving worst. Co-op was a blast, though.

Also, they changed how the pistol works between the demo and the full release, which made me super mad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

An old computer game, from the 90s, that had a "map" of the human body and you were either the body's immune system or the viruses and bacteria trying to make their way in.

You're not thinking of Catch the Sperm 2, but that's what I'm thinking of now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Moto Racer? There wasn't any zany wall climbing mode, though.

Moto Racer 2 is so loving good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Possibly the Adventure duck dragon. It doesn't really look like it, but it's along similar enough lines that that's where my brain went.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks like the Atari 2600 ET sprite to me

Whoops, fell in a hole.

Whoops, fell into another hole.

Dang, always with the holes, this forest.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

[...] but also maybe M.U.L.E.?

I use that theme song as my alarm tone. :allears:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Crackmaster posted:

I'm not familiar with the game, but poking around Dave Fennoy's credits on MobyGames I stumbled across Assassin 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6zqr3H0rc

It's not on rails, as far as I can tell, but it's got the actor in question, it's set in a building full of robots, and those cutscenes have quite a...distinctive look to them, especially the character models.

It may as well have been on rails. That was the shittiest FPS I'd ever played. You just walked forward and shot things and watched terrible cutscenes. Oh my god that game sucked.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

A 90s shareware-era xenon/1942 type shooter I think, the memorable bit was the sample in the intro:

the last tree in the rainforest was cut down today. A spokesman for the Acme Toothpick Company said 'aww. That's too bad'

Galactix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLzJynuBEg

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Speaking of spiders, we had a game on our Atari 800 where you were, IIRC, a hunter (gun? bow? I don't remember) in the woods or something, and spider-like monsters would run at you, and it was really awkward to try to shoot them.

Your character stood toward the bottom of the screen, and the monsters would run "down" toward you, and you'd shoot "up" toward them. It wasn't an overhead view; more like over-the-shoulder except zoomed way out.

I didn't play it much because it scared me (I was like 5) so I don't remember what the progression would have looked like or how you'd move your character around. The monsters may not have been giant spiders, but my 30-years-removed memory sees them that way.

Any ideas?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yup, thanks! gently caress, as soon as that music hit, my brain immediately went to the "Nope" place. Scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

The version we had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB7lzcp0y14

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It was a free advertisement game, which is something that was weirdly popular for a while during the nineties.

Gonna post this in case any 90s kids missed it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/804270/Chex_Quest_HD/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

moller posted:

This part sounds like Archon but the rest of the details don't really fit since that's "a literal chessboard" rather than "move screen to screen"

That goddamn game. My brother wouldn't let me use spells :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Uhhh King's Quest IV: Huge Angry Grandpa Edition

Check out EcoQuest 1 & 2 and also the 3rd one, Pepper's Adventures In Time

Pepper's Adventures In Time was one of my favorite games as a kid. My spouse and I played through it recently, and they were kinda pissed that the game ends on a cliffhanger for a sequel that was never made, so the series ends with "and Pepper and Lockjaw were sent to the Ice Age and died, the end."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Yes its this one! Thanks! This been bugging me a while now and im glad to finally lay it to rest.

I playtested this game before it was released. It wasn't great, but I was compensated with tons of pizza and some PC games. There's some very silly bonus dialogue during the ending credits.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

I'm wondering if maybe a piece of what you're remembering is Secrets of the Pyramids. It was just an incredibly weird edutainment game, I vividly remember playing the demo on one of those KidSoft CDs and the main character could fall into a pit and be attacked by bats leaving a bleeding corpse and the words "Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!" loving creepypasta poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f_9zWrS_4

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Now I'm thinking back to Sierra adventures that could be made unwinnable in the first 15 minutes, and you won't know you did that unless you buy a hint book.

It's a good thing those games (especially Space Quest 3) were so charming, because they were BULLSHIT.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

that game is permanently seared into my memory because the demo on club kidsoft cd(s) featured a gruesome sierra death to bats complete with pixelated blood. also the "Movie" part in the demo really abruptly ended with a still image of the pharaoh in mortal fear as he dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f_9zWrS_4

Bat-ter luck next time, Harold!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Play Nuclear Throne anyway because it loving owns.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EDF! EDF!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This is why I love the "Admire your posts" thing in the app.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Test one-two.... SEEEEEgaaaaa

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gromit posted:

I loved Rollcage, and was excited for the remake called GRIP. For some reason, though, it didn't do a lot for me. I'll have to give it another go.

Grip owns in VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'll mention Blade & Sorcery as another game along the lines of Dark Messiah, except in VR.

My favorite part of Dark Messiah was the most powerful weapon being a wicker basket. Set one ablaze, and you could hold it without taking damage, and torch enemies by simply walking into them. I'm pretty sure it acted as a shield, too. I don't know if the indestructible hell basket was a design oversight or something they did intentionally for laughs, but it owned either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I love this thread.