Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chinook posted:

Ahh, thank you, but both of those look a little too nice, and also have more 'space' theme. This seemed much more tied to the surface of a planet, and also the 'playfield' window of the game was much smaller, in this game, and it was in the top left. I'm going to keep looking tomorrow, I'll definitely post when I get it.

Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Solvalou posted:

Trying to remember the name of a (probably) DOS game, probably from the late 90s - early 00s. It was kind of like those sand flash games, at least visually. You controlled a kind of blob, or maybe it could be best described as a magnetic point attracting "sand", inside a fixed screen arena with other "sand" in different colors. You had to surround the enemy "sand" to change it to your color , thus growing your "blob". The winner would be the last one standing. Ring any bells?

Sounds like Swarm Arena but that's a much later game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

al-azad posted:

This was a game solved several years ago by someone else and suddenly it came to mind but I forgot!

PS1 game. Third person dungeon crawler. You play a character (I believe a woman) in a dungeon setting so gray walls and low poly monsters. I think it had fixed camera angles like a Resident Evil but it was definitely real time, not pre-rendered. It's not Deathtrap Dungeon, Nightmare Creatures, or Crusaders of Might and Magic but aesthetically it kind of resembles Deathtrap and Crusaders. What I remember of the graphics and lack of analog support it was early PS1 era so pre '97.

Are there any gameplay elements you can remember

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My first instinct is Deception but you didn't actually attack in that game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

110 posted:

PC. I believe it was MS DOS but it might have been Windows 3 or even 95. It was a turn-based strategy game set in England, where you'd play as one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and raise armies to battle against the others for the English throne after King Arthur was assassinated or something.

Defender of the Crown

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

I’ve definitely posted this in the thread before, but let’s give it another shot.

Looking for a PC game (maybe mac?) I played in school sometime between 1995 and 1998.

Literally all I can remember is that it was some sort of first person game where you are going through what I assume was a dungeon, and come across a black boot (kind of like a single rubber galosh) in the middle of the floor, filled with slime or ooze or something to that effect. I think a text box popped up stating it was full of slime if you clicked on it. I feel like I remember most of the play area being a tan or brown color?

I can’t recall if it was an RPG, an adventure game, an educational game, or really anything about the gameplay at all. I distinctly recall it being 2D and kinda 16-bit looking, definitely not 3D or pre-rendered in any way. Oh, and I’m pretty sure the first person viewpoint area was a window and did not take up the full screen.

It’s entirely possible I’m misremembering or conflating things in my memory, but man it’s killing me that I haven’t been able to find this dumb boot game for so long.

There's an old game called The Immortal that uses a frame for the gameplay area, is mostly brownish for a lot of the early levels, and one of the ways you can die is by rummaging through a pile of bones too far. Basically, you search the bones once and you find an item, and it asks you if you want to search again. If you do, a slime comes out and kills you instantly. You do need to have a way to deal with the slimes though, so you get some poo poo to rub on your boots to make you immune to INSTANT SLIME DEATH.

Regular gameplay was like this

But dialogue and inventory etc would have more of a "first person" view

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 12, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Man, this fits a bunch of aspects and I'm beginning to wonder if little kid brain + several decades passing really blurred the details in my mind. The whole slime-proof boots situation really has me intrigued. Honestly unless a more convincing game comes along I'm just gonna say it was this to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

If you have a switch and nintendo online whatever, they put it on their "free" NES emulator library, so you can check it out there real quick if you have access. It's a fantastic game, pretty ahead of its time in my opinion. It's mean as poo poo though and the kind of game where all of the puzzles make sense, but the start screen isn't Death for nothing. The game opens with a note telling you "Dunric oh poo poo I hosed up bad and need you to save me from this labyrinth" followed by "but your name isn't Dunric" and then you proceed as an old as poo poo barely capable wizard and die repeatedly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Koskinator posted:

Looking for an educational game I played in the late 90s at school.

The main character was a faceless dude with a red cap, bright teal coat and red sneakers. He had some kind of electronic device that could shoot rays. His mission was to defeat the main boss - a Dr Wiley lookalike - by deducting his location inside a TV broadcast station by solving math problems in different rooms to get their codes and figure out which room the boss was hiding behind. I think there was at least one sequel too.

Super Solvers: Outnumbered

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, gently caress, I need this thread's help.

I just read an article about Jonestown and it triggered a memory about a video game with a character, with an evil german accent, that says something like "Actually they were primarily using Flavor Aid at that time." and I cannot remember what game that was.
Does anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about? I need to figure it out or it's gonna drive me mad trying to remember it.

EDIT: For some reason I want to say that it was one of the Zero Escape games but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe something similar though.

Outlast 2?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Siralim? It owns.

I have a real problem with that series and it's that the logo sometimes reminds me of the logo for Sirlin Games

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pesty13480 posted:

Looking for the name of a game, possibly ten to fifteen years ago, and also not very much of a game.

There were a series of multiple choice questions, like of a space magic scifi fantasy theme. This isn't one of them. I would Google if I remembered anything more. I've tried. Your archenemy the grand spacepriest of whatever travels through the vortex of crystals:

1. Do you summon your crimson fleet of revenge.
2. Challenge him to a ten day dual..
3. Use the magical chains of Hell to bind his family.

All very outlandish. It may have been a tribute to something?

And the end, you get told "who" you are and, for the only graphics in the game I remember, a camera zooms in on a specific skeleton impaled on giant wireframe tree. Some of them had deer antlers.

I think about it occasionally and don't have enough in my brain box to search.

What you're describing is a common way old RPGs used to handle character creation by having the player answer questions to determine their preference via a tournament bracket (i.e., the wireframe tree) and it was used in series like Ultima and The Elder Scrolls, but it was used in a lot of other games too. When you say it wasn't much of a game, do you mean to say that what you're describing was all of the gameplay?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

PYF things dragging games down: Player Agency

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Right on the money!

Also lol, looking at the video turns out I never got past the first third of the game and I recall renting that a lot.

It is SIGNIFICANTLY easier if you have another player and you both know what you're doing with the character combinations and positioning and stuff. It's worth checking out again too, if for no other reason than ~retro games literacy~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I believe you're thinking of jerry glanville's pigskin footbrawl