Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm glad I found this thread, because there is a game I've been trying to figure out the title to for a long time now.
I apologize in advance for being vague, but I was a little kid when I tried this game a few times.

It was an early DOS game, like really early, it had four colours I think, light blue, purple and white, which seems to describe every game of the era, the screens were mostly black so it wasn't a brightly coloured game.
It was an RPG of sorts, but I don't recall any stats like D&D style games or character creation, but you could chose from like a couple dozen dudes, all of which were in unique characters in the game, like if I remember right any dude you could bump into you could play as.
The perspective was similar to early RPGs like Ultima and Dragon Quest.
And I'm pretty certain it took place in Feudal Japan.
The various screens were things like forests and parts of town, I don't recall any kind of overworld map.

The gameplay consisted of me wandering from screen to screen until I bonked into a dude and started a fight, there was no real combat system, either you won, or you got kicked back to the title screen, if there was anymore I don't remember.
I also don't remember any dialogue or even an intro screen, you picked a dude then you could just wander about.

Again, sorry for being so vague, but this was nearly thirty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hahaha, it looked sort of similar to that, but not nearly as much colour going on and I don't really recall any stats showing up on screen like that, like if I remember right when you just picked a character and got plunked into the game.
Hell, I don't even recall them having names or anything.

I probably shouldn't have said RPG, because you didn't make a party or anything like that.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

God drat it, I figured out what the game was and it turns out I wasn't remembering it correctly.

It was called Shogun, and I got the perspective completely messed up, it's viewed from the side, but you don't have to walk on the ground you can literally walk into the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUxJ6mkiYo

Even after watching a couple videos of it I still have no idea what you are supposed to do other than eat sky cherries and make friends.
Sorry for wasting everyones time, this is what happens when you try to remember a game that came out when you were like six.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I randomly just had a weird memory of some old hang I used to play in the early 90's, though I imagine the game is from early to mid 80's.

PC game, text based but with static images, like 1 pic per 'room/zone'. Simple monochrome graphics, but not ASCII art. The theme was the old West, and the only real specific I can remember is theres one area with a rattlesnake that kills you.

It wouldn't happen to be The Dallas Quest would it?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, I'm trying to remember a PC game that's maybe 20 years old.

You control a squadron of space ships, the graphics are super simple so each space ship is basically a triangle.

What's interesting about the game though is that's it's sort of turn based.
You click on a ship and drag a line that it will follow, how far it goes and how hard it turns depends on the ship type I believe and you can chose to fire a missile if you want, then you click a button and it plays out for a few seconds before you do it again.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Okay, this is an odd one I barely remember and I've never seen it mentioned despite having a unique concept.

This was a PC game that I think came out in the early to maybe mid nineties, probably not that much later than games like Legend of Red Dragon, so very early internet.
In this game you had a certain amount of points to make one or more dragons with various stats including one that controlled its size.
The game was viewed from a top down angle and the graphics from what I remember were really brown and the dragons looks less like wyrms and more like worms the wriggled around breathing fire on each other.

Now what made this unique is that it was an online multiplayer game of sorts.
You would upload your dragons and some time later you would get a replay of the fight back showing how it went down.
I'm really fuzzy on how this worked since I did it only once or twice, but I believe you signed up on a site, uploaded your dragon and they would E-mail you a file containing the fight replay.....I think.

I know this game probably existed, because I distinctly remember making one really big dragon and getting a replay back of it fighting off three little ones.

Oh and I don't think this was a game you bought at a store, but rather downloaded from said site.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 19, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Holy crap, I think that's it and it looks better than I remembered it.
It's crazy how fast you figured that out.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Help me remember a game on PS. It was a variant of that old arcade game where you had to draw lines to cut out/paint parts of an area, except you played as a squad of mechanics boarding giant enemy airships with saws and blowtorches to cut them into pieces.

Another game, PC, Win98 era: a portal opens and fantasy armies with orcs and magic invade modern (Cold War) Earth and you get to fight them with tanks, machine guns and whatnot, and later research the fantasy stuff to make hybrid weapons like enchanted tank shells. Definitely a turn-based strategy.

The first one is probably Patchwork Heroes

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think so, no. I don't remember any real plot or any of those opening cutscenes that I found on searching for that name, but I do admit, that also looks very close.

Man, I had no idea that there were so many games of that type during that era. This is probably going to be harder than I thought.

The game didn't happened to be called Exploration did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHCu7VB87w

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's not Septerra Core is it?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm trying to remember a game.

It's a top down space shooter that let you go in any direction you want.
It's for the PC and I want to say it was released in the early 2000's
A major gameplay element was a space station, I seem to remember you had to protect and maybe upgrade it.
It was fairly story heavy with a fair bit of dialogue.
The character portraits were 2d and colourful, I can't remember if they were anime influenced by they were cartoony.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yes, that's it exactly, thank you!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It wasn't King Arthur and the Knights of Justice was it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEdP96V5yrw

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Scias from Breath of Fire 4 would have been my first guess.

There is a Tactical RPG for the PSP that has a dog man companion named Rufus, the game is called Jeanne d'Arc.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm pretty certain that's Saga Frontier 2.

Here's the LP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680719

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This was a browser game.

You play as stickmen and you chose a class at the start and you went through levels fighting guys.

I think it had RPG elements and if I remember right one of the classes had a halo it could toss at enemies.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It wouldn't be Redhook's revenge would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq868Sqmuk

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Was it Nigel Mansell's World Championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjTfAzewkM

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think this game was from an Atari system, or at least some other pre NES console.

It was a space game with a cockpit view, and I only really remember two things from it:

1) One of the enemies you fought looked like a big rectangle with a circle in the center and it fired a ring shaped beam at you.

2) To recharge your energy/shields you had to warp to a star and sit there for a bit, but if you stayed after you fully recharged you took damage.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Zachack posted:

Star Raiders?

I think that just might be it.
It's not exactly what I remember, but these memories are nearly 40 years old now.

Thank you!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

westborn posted:

Might be Star Raiders II / The Last Starfighter (how I knew and played it) instead.

YES!

This is absolutely it, I remember the warp effect and it has the enemy ship I remember!

Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The only other top down starship game I can think of is Starscape

https://store.steampowered.com/app/20700/Starscape/