Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mobius posted:

Alright, this one's been bothering me for years. I'm not sure it even exists -- it may just be a combination of fuzzy memories and made up poo poo that I've convinced myself is real.

I have a vague memory of an Atari 2600 game that I probably played at about the age of 5 or so. It was a top-down tank game (not Combat) where, if you did well, you would get a screen that shows a dramatic shot of your tank on the edge of a cliff with a full moon in the background. If you lost, you would see a skull and crossbones.

That's it, that's all I remember. Does this actually exist? What game is it?

This is the Atari 5200 game Countermeasure.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-5200/countermeasure

...! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I know that the different versions of Microsoft Encarta had games in them. I know it's a long shot but maybe that's the encyclopedia you guys are thinking of?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

There should be something in the OP along the lines of "The game you are thinking of is probably Return Fire." That should be the very first sentence.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Feeble posted:

I played the living crap out of this game at a friends house when I was like 7, it was a top down scrolling shoot 'em up where one player played as a tank and the other as a helicopter blasting the crap out of anything that was unfortunate enough to wander down from the top of the screen. I'm like 90% sure it was for the snes.

My first thought was Silkworm but it appears that that SWIV game is kind of an unofficial sequel.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, that's definitely Star Control 2. There was an enhanced 3DO version with better music and full voice acting, among other things. That version is now freeware and is available for most modern OSes.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Neurion posted:

This may have been an N64 or PSX game, I'm not sure which. I have vague memories of renting a game from the video store that was either a first- or third-person shooter, or had an element where you did that. Most of what I can remember is a stage or a level, which was a mid-sized island that had either some shallow ponds or tidal pools in the center, ruins along one coast, and light foliage along an opposite coast. I think you had an AI-controlled buddy you ran around with, or someone who gave you messages over a radio.

It was definitely not any of the Army Men games, I know that for certain.

Daikatana? :q:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, on the subject of shmups, an arcade shmup which had both vertical and horizontally-scrolling segments. Normally the game would be vertically-scrolling, but every once in awhile there'd be a giant hole in the ground that you could fly into for a horizontally-scrolling section. I think this was one of those games where you had separate buttons for air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, too.

Life Force?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Two for you this time, since the thread has dug up some of the most esoteric poo poo I can think of armed with only the vaguest of instructions.
Both C64 games. The first one should be the easiest, I think it was a sequel to a similar game. You controlled a tennis ball bouncing around from a top down perspective, and the gameplay was mostly centered around avoiding stuff like lava or enemies.

The second one was a spaceship game, also from a top-down perspective. I remember the awesome title screen music. The gameplay mostly consisted of shooting down turrets of different kinds. I think one of them was a cross that fired homing shots, as well as waves of enemies. Not much to go on, I know, but I know it was similar to Lightforce.

The second one sounds kind of like The Dreadnaught Factor, but I don't think it ever came out on C64.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

I remember playing a text adventure for Amiga growing up. I think it had a more modern setting than fantasy. You could find weapons like swords and guns, there were other characters that you could maybe kill? There was a VERBOSE command. You got points for some things? Its very little information and I haven't been able to figure out what is was for years and years.

"Verbose" is almost always an Infocom thing. Maybe Planetfall or Stationfall?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Super Mario Bros.?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I was gonna guess Planetfall/Stationfall. It definitely sounded like an Infocom game.

And yeah, Infocom games came with the absolute best physical items like that. They really put a lot of effort into it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

That's... vague as hell.

The only thing I can think of that remotely resembles that is Deja Vu, but I don't think that's it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

texting my ex posted:

very quick ,thanks a lot!

You think that guy's very quick? I would have answered you instantly if I:

a) had seen your question

and

b) knew the answer, which I did not

:colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Chip McFuck posted:

The first one was an anti-drug game where 2-D animated situations played out in different settings like a mall, alley, etc., and you answered questions on what the right thing to do in the situation is. If you got it right, you got a piece of a brain that looked healthy but if you got it wrong you got a diseased looking piece. The drug using/dealing kids looked like ugly green monsters.

Narc.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Danaru posted:

No need to call people names, he was just asking about a video game

You stole the joke I was going to make t:mad:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Chip McFuck posted:

Never played Mathblaster but I did stumble across the game I was thinking of while searching around: Mighty Math: Number Heroes

Now if only I could remember what the racing game was...

Pretty sure it's Narc.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Karanas posted:

Alright here's another. It was a 90's pc game. It was an isometric mafia themed builder I think? You'd build buildings and assign them to illegal operations like bootlegging and I think you could also train agents like saboteurs and assassins to mess up the competition. It's been forever and I only ever played the demo that came with a pc gamer mag if I remember correctly. Always wanted to find it again but I can barely remember anything about it.

Narc.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

biosterous posted:

Okay this I don't have much to go on for this one, but there was this game i played in first grade:
- might have been called something like "math maze"
- top-down
- your dude was a face with sunglasses on a possibly-green square
- there was a devil?
- you could collect gems
- there were gates you would have to solve a (very simple) math puzzle to go through. I think the gates were yellow?
- the non-traversable parts of the maze were grey clocks
- i think there were some secret passages through the grey blocks
- this was on a public school computer in the mid-90s

Oregon Trail :hmmyes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I'm thinking it's Myst.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

There was a conceptually similar game that involved being an Indiana Jones look-alike that involved a lot of swinging on vines and that I remember being very greenish-yellow. The game later got an upgraded re-release in power SVGA and the first level was a jungle zone, jump'n'run style. I think the second area was a mine of some sort. I believe the name started with an R. Anyone got an idea? It was pretty fun.

Jungle Hunt :hmmyes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

No, the one I remember was definitely a 2D side-scroller, but I don't remember if it was for PC. In one mode, you would play as a helicopter basically the way you describe it. In the other, you would instead play as this armored car or tank thing that also attacked upwards in a 3-spread so you were able to attack flying enemies. I have this really clear mental image of it, but I don't think I ever learned the name of the game.

Yeah, this is almost certainly Silkworm.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

after all these years.... i finally got one before somebody else....

now.... i can die....

I was going to post it before you, actually. But then I thought to myself, "ALFbrot needs a win." So I let you post it.

You're welcome.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Danaru posted:

Alright maybe good is a strong word, but if they fixed Jason's hitbox and mapped dodge to an actual loving button, it would have been good. In any case it doesnt deserve half the flak it gets from the internet :colbert: everyone has a hill to die on and mine is F13 on NES

It was really really bad OP

...!
Oct 5, 2003

al-azad posted:

I never would’ve found it with a title like that, thanks.

I think you would have. Have more confidence in yourself. :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

khy posted:

Point and click adventure game for PC, male main character. Definitely in the 90's, before 2000. Don't recall much but I do recall being stuck in a room or prison cell thing (Vague memories of it being all bluish), with a window you could climb out onto a ledge. Don't think it was a lucasarts game. I know that's not much to go on, I just can't recall any more details than that...

Oh god, I think I remember this game. My cousin had a game fitting that exact description. I vaguely remember it being in either a prison or asylum. The first part of the game was figuring out how to escape the building, and it involved climbing out of the window onto a ledge. I hazily remember maybe grabbing a scalpel before climbing onto the ledge?

It definitely wasn't a sequel and it definitely wasn't as cartoony as some of these guesses. Dammit, now I want the name too. :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

Hopefully it's the same game the other guy was thinking of.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eeepies posted:

I'm trying to remember an old-school JRPG. The game started with a powerful female party remember that is uncontrollable, but then she loses all her power and joins your team. You can control your own character and other teammates, but she remains uncontrollable almost till the end until she exits your party (if I recall correctly). I think she had blue hair and that she came from the moon or something, but that might be inaccurate.

Danganronpa V3

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Blueshirt posted:

Yo I played an arcade game about 30 years ago, holy poo poo I'm old, anyway it was a top down shooter. You played as a little army marine looking fella, the first level was some kinda grey industrial zone with big worm monsters everyplace. Also there was a jump button. Holy gently caress this is a vague description.

Commando

...!
Oct 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that had several NPCs that said some quote that was like "Confound it! Where did I put that lever?" I'm pretty sure it was an action role playing game like Diablo.

Super Mario Bros.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Nah, it wasn't Baldur's Gate, I've never played that series before. I'll say, the game is most likely a lot newer than Diablo 1/2, but it just feels like that style of game.

Edit: it was ledger, not lever. The game is Everquest 2!

Are you sure it's not Super Mario Bros.? It feels right for some reason. :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

You're thinking of Nebulous.

I got one! :smugbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

tildes posted:

it was a bowser based game,

We can narrow this down to being one of the Mario games, then. :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Magic that's the one

Just so you know, the NES version is an inferior port of the original MSX2 version. Among other changes, they had to replace certain bosses because the NES wasn't powerful enough to handle the original bosses. The original final boss (the Metal Gear itself) was actually removed completely, so the end of the NES version is a huge anticlimax.

If you want to play the real version, pick up a copy of Metal Gear Solid 3. It includes English versions of the MSX2 Metal Gear games.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Custard Undies posted:

Here is one that popped into my head the other day that I'm struggling to remember the name of.

Would have been around 1998, as from memory I played it around the same time that Unreal game out, and I was half way thru the game before I bought a Voodoo 2 card which helped improve the games graphics and load times.

Anyway, it was a 3rd person game, that had jump jets, and you were fighting against a bug type alien race on different levels, I guess similar to Starship Troopers style bugs. One of the weapons you got to use in your loadout was a Flechette type weapon.

There was one level where your space ship gets destroyed, and one of the next levels had a voice comms guy talking about "Remembering the Ulysses" or something like that.

I don't remember it being super popular, but I enjoyed it at the time.

Edit: And of course after a discussion with ChatGPT, it looks like I've found it.

It was called Outwars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outwars

A goon who answered his own question, a shameful goon

*shakes head*

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shadragul posted:

It used the now missing fourth menu key on Android phones. I haven't investigated how to get the menu working, but I keep the app installed for nostalgia.

It's your fault

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Donkey Kong Jr. Math

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Lysandus posted:

This is the worst least descriptive memory I have but all I remember is sneaking through a semi demolished building. I remember you can either creep under some concert floors or there is another path you can take through a room. It was scifi-ish game with maybe bots that would patrol? The memory feels along the lines of maybe one of the Watch Dogs or Deus Ex games?

I know it's not much to go on but it popped into my head while trying to fall asleep last night.

Metal Gear Solid

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Max and Sam

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Crazy Achmed posted:

A couple of really old games I played like once during my childhood on friends' computers came to mind today, but I haven't been able to figure out what they were. I think I would have encountered them around 1990 or earlier.

The first one was a sidescrolling space-themed shooter, I'm pretty sure it had the cyan/magenta/white CGA palette and probably on a DOS system. I remember your ship could shoot a forward show or drop bombs to hit ground targets, and possibly also that the forward shot had a limited firing rate but the bombs didn't. I remember the graphics being pretty simple and clean - might have even been text-mode, come to think of it.

The second one I think was on the MSX or a similar computer - I remember the keyboard had an unusual diamond-shaped set of arrow keys - and the player controlled a thief running around a maze, being pursued by cops or guards or some sort. The graphics were very simple, and there was a gimmick that you could only see a certain area around the player character, everything else was blacked out. I'm not sure if this was the whole game or just a segment of something more complex.

R-Type and Metal Gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shine posted:

Welp, time to reinstall Star Control II.

You'd better. Or else! :argh: