Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

On the same day CT announced their live DVD, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mister Kingdom posted:

The CT live DVD will be released on the same day as the Rifftrax Christmas Show.

I meant they made the announcement on the same day, but yeah, that too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The commercials were really good, especially the final one. Were they legit, or did The Onion produce them the way Something Awful did the sponsor skits from the last live show?

Overall, it was a great show. I guess my biggest quibble was I hoped Weird Al would be there to do more than just one short. Two or three would've been nice. :kiddo:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sooo... I'm kind of clueless when it comes to streaming stuff from the internet two rooms over on my big screen TV. Well, aside from my PS3 media player so I can play video files and movies like that.

With that in mind, will it be possible to stream this upcoming Rifftrax event using my PS3 or through some other means?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vicissitude posted:

I can stream fairly well with Playstation Media Server. It's got all the codec packs to convert on the fly and stream to your PS3. I'd recommend using a physical connection, though. My wireless has been less than admirable when streaming.

How would I go about streaming the video from the RT web site using my PS3? I'm using PS3 Media Server version 1.10.51 and while I can play music and videos from my computer's hard drive without any problem, I didn't see any sort of internet option.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

...Yeah now I'm having second thoughts about buying it, seeing as how they couldn't even keep the site up to announce what they would be riffing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

IUG posted:

Via Facebook:

Good, I had no faith in that working out as a livestream. But I will be more than happy to buy it as a VoD (and again when they inevitably put it out as a DVD next year).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

From Bill Corbett's Facebook:

"I am here to tell you!...that SANTA AND THE ICE CREAM BUNNY is as unbelievably bad as ANY movie ever done on MST3K. And yes, I mean as bad as MANOS; THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES (etc.); and [your pick here]. PLAN 9-level bad. Badness. BAD."

Still not available for purchase on the Rifftrax site. :f5:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bobulus posted:

Haven't gotten any non-shorts from Rifftrax since back when you had to have some stupid special DRM-y DivX thing.

What does the VoD option give you these days? Just an avi, or do I still have to install special software?

You'll have a choice of several formats: divx, mp4, mpeg and wmv

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Space Cob posted:

One of my favorites parts of this Live was watching a woman in the row in front of me (had to be in her 70s, maybe 80s) who was probably brought there by her middle-aged daughter. It felt odd looking around the room as a 25-year-old and realizing I was actually below the average age of the audience.

The woman was laughing so much that it made me smile. She looked exactly like the kind of old woman who would never laugh at anything in a movie that was made after 1974. But here we were both laughing our rear end off watching a man try to get up out of a dirt pile for half a minute.

Best part: after it ended and everyone was getting up to leave, the woman checked with her daughter to see if she thought the movie was a real movie.

Old woman, I have no idea.

Also no one in the theater was obnoxious. Some people laughed a bit loud but that is to be expected :)

Kind of drives home how long it's been since MST aired Manos (almost 20 years :gonk: ). A lot of us were kids growing up on MST, but a lot of parents were watching with us too. Add 20 years and you get a buncha geezers who look like Kevin, Bill and Mike but not the ageless wonder.

On the Manos sequel, things I like: using some of the original cast like Debbie, Margaret and The Master.

Things I don't like: everything else. Jesus.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

IUG posted:

Ben has said that they've been nothing but awesome to him, but they didn't use his restoration because it's still being worked on. So I don't think they have anything against him. I just hope they're trying to stay nuetral on both releases.

However,if they did go on a special feature on either's DVD/Bluray, it would be awkward. Because then Ben would have something from Manos 2 on his disks, or it would be on the Manos 2 guy's thing, and I would have to not purchase it.

A Rifftrax special feature on Ben's restoration wouldn't have to be the live show -- just have them on as a brand new riffing audio commentary, therefore bypassing any connection to Manos 2.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FrensaGeran posted:

Was Troll 2 supposed to be a sequel to an MST3K of a Troll movie, or is there a Troll 3 or something?

Pretty sure he meant the Hobgoblins sequel, as Troll 2 is a cinematic masterpiece.

Edit: And I heard there was a Time Chasers sequel, but I don't know if it was ever finished/released.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's also a sequel to Plan 9 From Outer Space being made, apparently the Angry Video Game Nerd has a cameo in it. It's probably going to be about as good as Manos 2.

I feel that a fundamental flaw to any of these "bad movie sequels" is this: they're purposely trying to be a bad movie.

There's something... I dunno, genuine about the originals. Ed Wood wasn't out to make the worst movie of all time. I don't think Hal Warren was either. Something like the Manos sequel seems to try too hard to be a "bad" movie, and in a way that ruins any appeal it might have.

Maybe it's just me armchair directing, but if I were to set about making a sequel to Manos, I'd go in trying my damnedest to make it a good, entertaining movie. Chances are I'd fail miserably, but such a failure would (hopefully) add something back to its appeal. If from scene 1 I'm saying to the audience "Are you folks ready for some cinematic poo poo? :wink:" then I've already failed.

But hell, maybe Mr. Manos 2 guy did the same thing and maybe it'll be a genuinely good movie (or a good bad movie, if that makes sense). Not much from those clips shown last night encouraged me any, though, save for one thing: I actually did like that final shot showing the now-elderly Master hypnotically waving his staff. It was a nice homage to the original and also kept a lot of the genuine creepiness intact. Bumbling sheriffs, washed out wrestlers and bad monster makeup on a lady? Not so much.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rifftrax teased their new holiday release with this:

:staredog:

If you want to spoil the surprise, it's from this cinematic masterpiece. Ice Cream Bunny, you have met your match.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Deadpool posted:

I can't wait, but at 13 minutes it's gonna have to pack in a lot of crazy to be up there with Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.

It's one of a trilogy of shorts, so I'm hoping the release will be for all three.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Piper posted:

yessssssss the new Christmas VOD is out tomorrow!

Their new Facebook wallpaper:

I think it's going to be all three shorts. :dance:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There was a website that profiled these shorts and had a lot of good info on K. Gordon Murray productions, despite having a site design from 1997. I was actually reading up on it a couple of weeks ago, when that creepy skunk anigif was first posted, but it looks like the site's domain name expired literally within the past few days.

Fortunately I found the pages backed up on archive.org. So may I present to a behind-the-scenes look at the madness of Santa's Village...

Santa's Enchanted Village

Santa Claus and His Helpers

Santa's Magic Kingdom

K. Gordon Murray's Fairy Tales

Edit: What's perhaps even more amazing/horrifying is that according to that site, the version of "Santa Claus and His Helpers" that Rifftrax did is actually edited down from a much longer version... one that's almost 40 minutes long. :staredog:

Edit 2:

Here are writeups on the original Mexican Puss 'n Boots and Little Red Riding Hood movies, from which our beloved stinky skunk and ulcer wolf hail from. Like... holy poo poo, Rifftrax should just devote themselves to doing the entire K. Gordon Murray catalogue. It's a treasure trove of childhood insanity.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm hoping that with the money they raise, they'll be able to buy the rights to do several of those movies, not just Twilight.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This will be the first RT:Live I'll ever miss. I've got a colonoscopy to prep for. :barf:

I really would love to see THAT Norman short in a theater, too. Talk about saving the best for last...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I was very much into MST3K back in the day but I haven't payed attention to RiffTrax since around the time they launched the website. Are these live events worth the admission? Do they actually comment live or is it just like a simulcast of a prerecorded thing?

Live simulcast. Absolutely worth it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

When's the encore? Not next Thursday I hope, that actually being Halloween and all.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

How's the video quality on the Holiday Special VOD look? Debating whether or not I should double dip on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was totally expecting it to end with Manos, so I was pleasantly surprised when the last movie was Mitchell.

It was great but man... for an MST marathon it was too short.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rifftrax has a Black Friday sale going on with coupon code "friday" to take a 20% discount off your entire purchase. Plus if you spend more than $20, you get a $5 certificate for next time.

And this may be old news, but apparently they now have Nestor up as a VOD. I grabbed that, the Star Wars Holiday Special VOD and (finally) Guy from Harlem.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently my theater is trying to confuse people who want to see this as the marquee outside the specific theater doesn't say that its playing rifftrax.

My ticket simply says I'm seeing Santa Claus. :haw:

And no slides so far...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gaspy Conana posted:

I love a few of the shorts, but I've not yet seen a riff on a feature length film that I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed. They always end up feeling like a slog to me, and something about the jokes is just different than whatever makes MST3k funny. That said, I've only tried like 5 of them, so it's entirely possible that I picked out a few weak ones. Has anyone else gone from being sort of lukewarm to loving it? Which one(s) changed your mind? I really want to like these more. :(

Which movies have you seen? Some can definitely be a slog, but there are several I would put right up there with the best of MST.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Guys I... I... I don't think I want to go to Bovine University anymore. :ohdear:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

muscles like this? posted:

He quit because he was butting heads with producer Jim Mallon.

Yeah, it's kind of sad reading that Wired oral history, where you can see there's still animosity between Mallon and pretty much everyone else.

I seem to recall Joel saying that Cinematic Titanic was born out of his desire to resurrect MST3K but Jim vetoing it. If Jim still owns the rights to the MST name I wonder what changed for Joel to say this now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nimec posted:

So in Sword and the Sorcerer, are Talon and the two rebellion leaders related? I got the vibe that he was returning to his homeland and who else would be royal blood? Shouldn't he be older than Micah anyway and thereby be next in line for the crown? And NOT loving his sister? :ducksiren:

I don't think so. I think Mikah was just some dude who helped lead a rebellion against Cromwell, because Cromwell was a dick.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

thexerox123 posted:

(I love when there's overlap between Rifftrax/MST3K and RLM... I was excited when RLM featured Space Mutiny, and I was excited when Rifftrax riffed ROTOR!)

I'm still a bit surprised that it seems NONE of the RLM guys are MST/Rifftrax fans... Or at least they purposely avoid referencing the shows even when they cover the same movies (Santa Claus, Space Mutiny).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wait so is this their next Rifftrax Live or just a regular release?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CapnBry posted:

I'm just curious how they're going to make a two hour show out of a 3 minute Nicki Minaj video. The good news is I've only seen the first minute of it, so the ending isn't spoiled for me when I see it tonight!

Get ready for Kevin to be repeatedly singing from this throughout the show a la Poke Face a few years back.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

IUG posted:

Did this start with that animation again? My theater lost signal right as it was going to start, but picked up again right after the guys started introducing themselves.

Same thing happened in mine. Kinda glad they'd have that theme play, as it meant we didn't miss anything. :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Here's that commissioned Rifftrax song heard before Anacanda, sung by Mr. Kevin Murphy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I was enjoying it as good as any riff, but then just completely lost it at the end. I had to pause it for a few minutes because I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it and the "rules" of the guessing game (that were immediately thrown out the window) just sent me over the edge. Balloon Land just completely broke me at that point.

Edit: I grew up in South Jersey and have fond childhood memories of watching the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade every year instead of the Macy's Parade. Seeing this film has left me questioning if I've spent my life living a lie. God help us all if the makers of Fun in Balloon Land also made a film featuring the Mummer's Parade.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 26, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

First live stream episode is Sinbad. Awesome.

And yay, the YouTube stream works on Chromecast. Last year was a pain in the rear end trying to get it to play on my TV

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Assuming Red Letter Media hasn't acquired every copy in existence, there's always Nukie...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Loved the Gamergate/Baldwin brother jokes and I think I did a combination belly laugh-painful groan at WM3.

Like some others have said, I had the MST episode playing in my head at times, but it wasn't too distracting. I brought a friend who had never seen the MST version (or any MST episode, something I'll need to rectify) and she was practically in tears from the African child dance number all the way to the end.

For me, I love seeing all the new stuff that got cut from the episode. The doll dance was beyond disturbing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

the house from The Dark Power is for sale if any of you guys are interested (three windows)
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9080-Leisure-Point-Ln-Belews-Creek-NC-27009/5825437_zpid/

And just in case we needed confirmation: yes, it's located in the Southeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you don't have Guy From Harlem or Last Slumber Party, get Guy From Harlem and Last Slumber Party.

This really should just be the thread title at this point.

Kiss of the Spider was a really good riff too. They did do a Game of Thrones joke, but with the uncle's first scene with teen Susan I immediately thought they should have referred to him as Littlefingering.

Also I legitimately enjoyed that final scene, in a very 70s horror movie sort of way.

• Locked thread