Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

EddieDean posted:

About to start both Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock Infinite. Would appreciate spoiler-free info on both.

With RDR I found it better to be a good guy for a lot reasons.
There is a bandana you'll find to wear in cases of finding mass murder irrestable that won't damage your good name. You'll know its time to become an arsehole way way way at the end.

Its a pretty easy game to 100% and there some good outfits you'll get along the way.

Use the rockstar social club RDR page to to track that and other things.

When you get to the point I mentioned earlier, arsehole time, don't stress if there are uncompleted side quests from the main game still undone. You will still be able to finish them except for one.

Whenever you notice a stranger mission called "I know you" appear go do it before too long passes. That's the only thing that becomes impossible to finish if you go too far.

The online co-op is great fun but the levelling can be a grind. 50 is the max level but you can "pass into legend" and restart 5 times I think. So max level is really 250 in a way. The only extras you get for doing that are mounts if I remember right.

Enjoy it. Its one of those games I wish I could play anew again.

Edit: they still have pretty regular online events and triple xp sessions too. That really takes the pain out of leveling online.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SaxMaverick posted:

No matter how prepared you are, no matter how many hours you've played, you WILL poo poo your pants when a cougar gets you

Not after doing that hunting thing where you have to get 5 of them with your knife. :smug:

They're just big kitty cats with addictive cool death growls. Hard on the horses though, still free leather is ok.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Be patient with Peace Walker. It starts slow IMO and I very nearly put it down but then it clicked for me and I loved it.

You might find much more need for CQC in this game than the others too. Recommend learning the bodyslam move. Especially if you don't want any kills. A nasty side effect of that though can be filling your roster with chumps who you'll have to sack later on if you "draft" them all.

Getting S ranks is nice but don't fret too much, everything is easily replayable (I think) so you don't have to grind maps to death. Come back after some research and make em pay.

E: all the multiplayer and co op stuff was working still (couple months ago) too which was nice.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 30, 2013

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

All anyone needs in Peace Walker is to nail that simple CQC shoulder throw from the tutorial. It puts most enemies into Zzzzzzzz after two throws and boom. Easy slaves workforce, minimum kills which is always nice.

Bosses are different but you'll find a way.

E: yeah what he said about the Chico tapes. I didn't even like the one he gives you first.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 9, 2014

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Zushio posted:

Far Cry 2 is the best Far Cry other than the totally unrelated original. It's crazy how different it is than both the original and 3. Apparently 6 is back in the same director's hands so I actually have really high hopes.

Sure 2 was a brutal slog, it once you figured out the tricks (holy poo poo just take the river everywhere you can, the single most important Far Cry 2 tip) and how everything was working it is a total blast to play. No other Far Cry to date has had fire that looked or worked as well as 2. It was amazing, one bad move and you would have the entire grassland for a quite a long distance a raging inferno.

Far Cry 5 is fine, the gunplay feels excellent and actually has some decent writing nestled in there. Weirdly, I feel the game is actually better if you do know the spoiler ahead of time. Some schools of thought believe that you will have a greater enjoyment of media if you are informed beforehand, even in the case of something you are experiencing first hand for the first time. I subscribe to this on rare occasions, but Far Cry 5 feels like a firm case to me. Ubisoft needs to lay off the "You get drugged and have a crazy psychedelic adventure" quests though. They were cool the first time. It's now worse than the dreaded Ubisoft Towers.

Edit: All video game characters should speak at the same rate as The Jackal from Far Cry 2. I get you have some pretentious story to tell and jack off some voice actor. People don't take that long to talk IRL. Unless you speak at least as fast as The Jackal I am reaching for the skip dialogue button. Yes I am play Death Stranding, why do you ask?

https://youtu.be/cCJBOZC7XdQ

I agree with this. Also the fact there was no map on the HUD and you had to stop shooting in order to check the map was a small but really immersive thing. The enemies changing reactions to you as you become more and more effective was awesome too.

Far Cry 2 felt dangeous, both in terms of what could happen to me and what I could do to them. Putting your buddies out of their misery felt pretty awful too, but got me fighting harder for them.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

this thread has been super useful even if im usually months behind whatever is being talked about.

if i know im gonna sink my teeth into a game checking the site is a matter of habit. ill miss it if it cant be updated anymore and wanna thank u all for the work

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

BrightWing posted:

So I downloaded Let it Die in tyool 2020 and am enjoying the mindnumbing grind of it all. Any tips or real gotchas to watch for?

I found floor 23 is where you need to either seriously grind or pony up cash. Shame cos I really enjoyed it. Esp the base smashing game.

Anything for Just Cause 4 thats different from the others? Still just tether-para-mayhem?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A Bystander posted:

Since I did mostly everything in Lost Judgment, I've got a few tips:

- The new style, Snake, is very good for being defensive. The parry functions pretty much exactly like Tanimura's of Yakuza 4, even including being able to parry people into walls (although this being the Dragon Engine, they will ragdoll and most you might get to do is an EX Action). The original two styles, Crane and Tiger, have also been rebalanced in new ways and you're expected to use all three styles to get through the game.
- There is now a system similar to Yakuza 0's where doing as many different actions as possible will get you more bonus SP on top of the base SP you get for finishing a fight.
- If you intend on using cheat items in order to clear the gambling tasks for TownGO, it would be wise to wait until at least the latter half of the game so that you get more SP from fights and therefore get an easier time of buying them in the first place.
- Keep in mind that certain things are only available at certain times of day, such as the school's shop and cafeteria not being open during nighttime. This doesn't come up all that often, but it's still something to be aware of.
- There is no more Mortal Damage like there was in Judgment, but getting hit by a Mortal attack will still hurt a lot and may leave you open for a follow-up, so try not to let that happen anyway.
- In the case of school story triggers, sometimes they are gated by progress in the main plot or other school stories, sometimes by stats. The School Diary app will inform you of what you need.

Lots of side cases are hidden behind things like girlfriends and collectables in this one if you ever wonder why so many are ??? forever

For an easy Robotics Club time check the parts list against practise battle rewards and farm accordingly

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

someone should amend the wiki for that because those tips referring to it, if you otherwise blind, can sap the fun out of the first couple days

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game definitely does a great job of this on the whole, but there are moments where failing a check simply means that you don't get to do anything and you have to come back and roll again later after getting a skill point or however that mechanic works. Those mostly aren't too bad (and the things that you're likely to repeatedly fail are things you usually have no business trying to do in the first place), but I'll admit I ended up savescumming some of the "fail on a 70% chance" rolls toward the end. Which afaik you can do for any roll, but you definitely shouldn't, for the most part

i did because one run i think cos i bought a weird die i had the xcom luck lol 96% chance is almost certain to fail

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Elden Ring
Enemies on horseback will be knocked off if they are parried.

this is a good tip

id stick to stuff like that and the map pieces and how to start to level and call it good

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Gotcha, that does sound like it might be simpler. Hopefully.

Thank you.

dont button mash! time your presses to the horses hooves, you get into the rythym of it fairly easily, this adds to your momemtum and i think reduces the stamina drain of your horse but its been a while.

i also found it useful to always have heaps of hay in a handy action slot so on anything short of a full gallop you can always feed the horse too

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've already started, met The Skulls, and done a handful of missions, but I'm only at 2%; any info about Metal Gear Solid 5?

Edit: other than what's on the site, for both GZ and TPP.

you can grab hideo himself from GZ i think. you might then have to go back to TPP and do the sidequest for lost GZ dudes (i think it has been a long time) but hideo is good for early S rank boosts on mother base for one of the teams

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 6, 2023

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

There's nothing in the wiki for Judgement / Lost Judgement. Assuming I'm familiar with the Yakuza remakes is there anything I need?

if you want to do the baseball stuff theres guides for all of it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I asked about which Yakuza I should start with a few pages ago. On the general consensus, I started with Yakuza 0 which I'm really enjoying so far. I'm up to Chapter 5 and just unlocked Kiryu's Real Estate Royale side business and have collected payment a couple of times. This might be a stupid question that I missed somewhere in the tutorial, but do the Managers and Security Officers "heal"? I understand that one of their stats reduces over 4 or 5 collections, and the game recommends swapping between people in these roles, but do they recover after time back to the starting point?

you can pretty much use whoever, wherever. as you get further into it more and better staff become available. and dont stress if you lose one of the boss battles, its only a small hit to your biz and easily regained.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

anything for Terra Invicta?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol i cant remember the other game i noticed this on but its word for word!

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Uplink

https://gameplay.tips/guides/10693-uplink.html

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ahobday posted:

I checked the page history to make sure we hadn't stolen from them, but that page on the wiki was created in 2015 and the thieves posted theirs in 2021, so I guess that's proof enough.

Also I've tidied up the tips on the wiki because the formatting was a bit of a mess.

I assume there's nothing we can do about thieves apart from a stern email which will be ignored.

probably not, but its not just that game, i didnt check any others on their site because i was simply sucking at Uplink

the best revenge i can think of is to insert deliberately awful tips into popular games that no sane goon would ever do lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Bumping the above, because no one answered.

Also, in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - is there a particularly good point to start exploring and just doing side stuff? I've only just got to Havana, but should I start checking out map icons here before continuing, or is there a point in the story when it's better to start doing that?

some zones are scaled to ship strength but if you dont start trouble you can go p much anywhere iirc

you might find some literal fog walls you cant cross until youve met it in the story i think

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Szarrukin posted:

Anything I should know about before starting Jagged Alliance 3?

isnt that brand new? get in there and write some tips for the rest of us! 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ahobday posted:

In case anyone is interested, I get emails from people with tips to add to the wiki—and who I assume aren't on this forum—maybe once a week.

Also some people who just want to say thank you. The anonymous email I added to the home page was a good idea.

In terms of statistics, over the last year the wiki has had ~20,000 unique visitors a month.

its a seriously useful resource! we here probably take it for granted but games can be looong. having access to a spoiler free place that specifically only tells you how to get a good start without spoiling poo poo or referring to a step by step nightmare is honestly gaming gold. and goons are a lot of bad things lol but theyve always been good at games