Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

" Lead writer of Spec Ops posted:

"This is where the characters have to look at the consequences of their actions and say: 'Should we have gone further? Should we have left? Should we leave now? Is it right to keep going?'" Williams answered. "And if the player is thinking about seriously putting down the controller at this point, then that's exactly where we want them to be emotionally."
The game really is designed for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

juliuspringle posted:

Out of sheer curiosity ( also because I went on a buying spree because they are on sale on PSN) anything for the Lego games? Specifically Lego Batman 3, Lego The Hobbit, Lego Lord of the Rings and finally Lego Lego Movie.

What the guy above said about not worrying about the bits is super true, because you can get absolutely massive multipliers, I think just shy of 4000. Just know that the bit multiplier unlocks stack.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Kalenden posted:

Anything for Thea: The Awakening?

Play on a high custom difficulty to get extra God XP (and have more fun). I'd suggest the 12 card limit, no reshuffles, and furious enemy aggression, as the first one won't affect you if you're not already doing well and the latter two make the game faster. I say this as someone who doesn't usually like hard 4Xes.

You can't see resources until you research the one below them.

Cooking food doubles (or more) the food value, while making it lighter and increasing variety, so get cooking, even if it's just turning your meat into jerky.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 28, 2016

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

On the other hand, if you accept that everything after level 5/6 is only supposed to be researched with microtransactions, the normal research and resource progression in the game is pretty balanced. Don't cheat resources until you finish chapter 2.
Also, don't expect chapter 2 to close up all the loose ends. It's less frustrating if you know that.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Bishop Beo posted:

Any tips for Ratchet and Clank on PS4?

* Nothing is permanently missable, I think, and even if there is, that's what challenge mode is for.
* Any missing characterization (especially the Rangers) is slightly fleshed out in the movie, but not enough to make it important to watch.

That really is about it, for before I play type stuff.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Anything for Mad Max?

I'm considering picking it up on PS4 unless performance is poo poo (then I would get on pc, cost is the same).

The open world-ness and combat reminds of Shadow of Mordor which I really enjoyed playing with the goon tips to avoid buying too many hp and other upgrades which made the game hella easy. Any tips like that for Mad Max?

If you want it to feel survivaly, don't upgrade any of the bases, or at least avoid getting the upgrades that refill your whatevers. Dog and buggy and the scrap/cleanup/survey crews are fine to get and still keep some difficulty, though.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

RatHat posted:

Anything for Ratchet and Clank(2016)?

Not really. Maybe put utility weapons on the d-pad? There's nothing missable, I'm pretty sure, and if there is, that's what Challenge Mode is for.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for this. Couple of questions:

- Is it worth it to try and micromanage the menu of my villagers? Bonus are nice, but getting to 10 foods is a pain.
- Any recommended research path? 2 handed swords are nice for warriors and 2 handed hammers seem a good all purpose weapons, but other than that I'm pretty lost.
- Is it better to leave lairs around so they spawn enemies I can farm?
- It seems that the game wants me to keep making stuff always. Any tips on an item that's big on research points and not too expensive to build?

Specific responses (don't put these in the wiki):
Yes, kinda. The default town gives you resources for 4 foods (veggie, build pasture for meat, cook meat for jerky and bigos), expandable to 6 if you develop an herbalist's hut.
Hammers aren't great, especially late game. In general, hammers are good early game, swords are good early and mid game, and late game axes and pikes are more useful, mostly because enemy health inflation.
Nope. Farming enemies will mostly get you mediocre to bad weapons and resources. Harvesting and events are how you get the good stuff.
Silk shirts are pretty good for research, with a fairly common resource. Don't forget to recycle them to get back some of the silk if you need it.

General help:
- Blunt damage is nice early game, but late game the scary enemies have enough health it's not worth it. Piercing damage is always good.
- Not all difficulty modifiers are created equal. Larger map size will greatly decrease your available resources, while more aggressive enemies mostly means you spend less move points hunting spiders.
- Don't trust the encounter difficulty. 3 skull dwarves will wreck you when 3 skull boars aren't a problem.
- Shielding is worth more than armor. Early game especially, one point of shielding is worth 2 or more points of armor. Later on, enemies will kill you in one or two hits, even with a ton of armor, making the ratio get closer to one.
- If you have early access to coal or wicker, research accessories. You can tear down all the items you find with amber in them to make + gather and crafting items, while giving you tons of research.
- Cooked food items with the same name but different ingredients count as different food items.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 27, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Diablo 3 isn't designed the same way as two, so I guess it somewhat makes sense. Less so than just not playing, but playing on Normal (or Hard/Expert, anything under Torment) for one story mode playthrough to get to level cap is a more succinct experience than playing through just normal in D2, as D2 really was designed with the idea that one playthrough was all three difficulties, and you only "really" defeated the bosses in Hell difficulty.

...what? Diablo 3 is WAY more based on repeated playthroughs than 2 was. In one go through on normal of each, assuming you haven't played it before and aren't following a guide (we're talking launch 3, not what it has become), you end up about level 30. In 2, that lets you begin to access the highest level abilities. In 3, you have half the skill runes.

Luggage posted:

On topic, I've just passed the halfway point in Nier. Any hints which weapons to upgrade for the rest of the game and endings B through D? Also, are there any essential word or materials drops I can miss?

Pretty sure if you're to the halfway point, you've already either gotten or missed the only missables.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 31, 2017

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, it's a much better game now. That's why I put in the parenthetical; the person Zaodai was responding to was talking Diablo 3 as it was released, not post Loot 2.0.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

FFT: aside from the wiki stuff, there's an early fight where you're given the choice of save dude or kill baddies. Kill baddies is objectively superior, as it is both easier and gives you a reward. After that first one, the save option usually gives a better reward.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I believe selecting the "save" option on the first battle like that raises the brave of everybody in the party permanently, albeit slightly. I may be remembering incorrectly, however.

Nope, it's weird, and just for the Algus fight, but the kill 'em option is the one that increases brave. The others it works as expected.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Honestly, it's best to adopt a zero tolerance policy for troublemakers of any sort. Get into the habit of checking your staff roster every time you return to the helicopter and boot any troublemakers straight away. They make your units worse by sending people to the med bay to recover, and it can be completely avoided by just firing them. You'll have a huge list of people waiting to replace them anyway.

If this gets boring, though, stop. You'd probably get more research by playing more instead of fiddling around as the head of HR for a thousand plus guy company.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, slide puzzles have been a solved game for, what, decades now?

Try since 1879.

Well, specifically the 15 puzzle, others were later.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Considering what I think of a good chunk of J&D so far I feel I may already be prepared.

I just checked and it came out in 2001 and was one of the first PS2 games (according to wikipedia) so I'm going to TRY to compare it less to stuff we take for granted these days like minimaps and completely free cameras.

edit: Remembered something I meant to mention earlier. I'm convinced there is only really one NPC in J&D and it's the Loch Ness Monster because every person I meet wants me to give them 90 precursor orbs.

Jak 2 and 3 are much more "modern" feeling than J&D; the first game is much more designed like a PS1 or N64 era game, but with more power and memory so levels can be bigger etc. Still Jak 2 does not gently caress around, and could use about 2-3 times as many check points.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Fully integrated into the campaign; I got the disc version, and didn't realize it was DLC until I had just about beaten the game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

You get research points by crafting. Always be crafting. (Cooking food counts, though not as much as better stuff or buildings.) Depending on what materials you have plenty of, it can be worth researching 1 handed swords for example just so you can churn out crappy swords with cheap materials for the research points.

This bit isn't quite right. Crafting gives you research points dependent on (among other things) how advanced the materials used to craft are; most materials you can harvest without researching give 0 RP. That includes all food.

Other Thea tips:

The Herbalists hut does, in fact, gather herbs equal to the added healing per turn.

Food with herbs cooked in count as herbs for most events requiring herbs.

Food with the same name and icon but different ingredients (ie, jerky of meat/meat vs jerky of meat/bird meat) is a completely different item for all mechanics.

Clicking on items in the after-combat screen lets you quickly dismantle them; since the weight of an item is usually the sum of its components (except for artifacts/jewelry and quality), and dismantling gives you back a random fraction of the materials, anything you know you aren't going to use should be dismantled immediately to save weight.

Basic bone is heavy and nigh-useless, and should be the first thing discarded for weight

Stuff discarded on the map stays on that tile forever (you can see the boxes left) assuming nothing spawns on top of it

Some materials have hidden bonuses when used on jewelry as both materials. Try pure Topaz or Monster Bone.

Materials are only visible on the map after you research the tier below them.

The autoresolve is actually fairly decent. Don't be afraid to use it against easy encounters.

Shielding is almost always better than armor, especially in the early game

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 18, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Thanks whoever did the wiki magic for Thea. Could you add these? The quoted one has been fixed so it's accurate now.

Oh dear me posted:

You get research points by crafting. Always be crafting. Depending on what materials you have plenty of, it can be worth researching 1 handed swords for example just so you can churn out crappy swords with cheap materials for the research points.

Thea is kind of like a roguelike; a few bad calls and some bad luck can leave you in a nigh-unwinnable situation. Don't be afraid to quit after losing your whole adventuring party.

When crafted into armor, weapons, and shields, gems will give a random stat bonus that isn't shown in the recipe. Found items don't always have this, for some reason.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

ProfZoom posted:

Playing Metroid Prime over a decade after my first playthrough. What needs to be done for which ending?

There are three endings; the middle one is a completion rate between 75% and 99%. The other two are left as an exercise to the reader.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Devil May Cry 5? I beat 4 and almost beat 3.

V feels terrible to play in particular. Attacking anything above ground level is a chore. The panther whiffs all of its attacks and the crow uses its AOE attack when I don't want it to. What am I doing wrong?

I found that V plays best only locking on when you were trying to do lock on moves, as opposed to the others who you can play locked on 90% of the time.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night? I heard there is an SotN style final boss fakeout; any tells for this?

You will not be confused about whether you got the bad ending, if that's what you mean.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The bad end sends you back to your last save, and you can't save after the point of no return. If you save before boss doors, you'll be fine.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

graventy posted:

Any tips for My Time at Portia?

You can always use another furnace/crafting station.

You can turn 1 hardwood into 5 wood at the workbench, which increases the fuel value considerably.

Crystal is needed in large amounts by the end game, but if you plant a crystella tree or two early on you'll have plenty.

Commissions, especially the big ones on Friday, are the major source of money.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Daemon X Machina

The Factory is the main way of changing money into new parts; the Shop generally only sells copies of the parts you develop plus processor upgrades.

Developing equipment at the factory uses up the base component, takes one mission, and gives you the developed item.

This isn't actually Armored Core; equipment sells for about 10% of its purchase price, and you can't buy it back.

Lab Upgrades stack, its not choose one like the icons make it look.

You will need about 2-3 Legion parts of each armor to develop everything, so if you already have all the parts an enemy has, go for one of those.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

More for Daemon X Machina:

Weapons on pylons don't use up memory while just sitting there

Always Be (ice) Creaming. You get something for it, plus every item you develop gives you a free ice cream!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Under Many Worlds interpretation, it's actually far more likely that a new universe is brought into existence than that a new copy of Final Fantasy 7 appears, even with everyone on Earth torrenting FF7.Crack-RELOADED.iso

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Comically mundane right now, but the Advance wars page needs some loving; there's 3 different games on it (Advance Wars, Days of Ruin, Dual Strike) with contradictory advice.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

GoT question: should you sell iron once you've completely upgraded your swords?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

This is maybe kind of a strange ask, but I'm looking more for opinions than tips.

I've been on a 3D platformer kick lately, and I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game. Is the PS4 remake/reboot/reimagining/movie tie-in/whatever fine? I have seen wildly mixed reports but I don't know how much of the bad reviews are legit grievances or just mad it isn't a perfect 1:1 of the first game.

It's a great game but the story feels choppy since it kinda expects you to have seen the not very good movie. The story isn't the reason to play R&C, though, so you'll be fine, just ignore the non-Qwark Galactic Rangers.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Daemon X Machina:

The ice cream clue should probably specify (after 20 ice creams and Rank C)
Optimal range will ~double your damage with most weapons, but ~triples it with pistols and sniper rifles. Blades have this stat hidden.
Much of the content is hidden in the coop modes, but all coop missions are reasonably solo-able
The best way to get rare/3 slot equipment and the only way to get level 4/5 attachments is Exploration missions, the purple console.
Slot Expansion attachments can be glitched to go with any item in the same category by sorting attachments.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

It's a dollhouse more than a game. Make people, make them have various relationships with each other, that's it. I'd bet most people either turn aging off or mod it so adult stages last more than like a month.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

And then, to make the above tip even more useful, once you get the double/triple shot upgrades, you can put two or more of the 'same' weapon on your wheel, and load up 2/3 arrows on each one before entering a fight. Combine that with the bullet time talents to really maximize your opening nukes on tough opponents.

This tip is too power-gamey to really fit the wiki, I think. It's never necessary and asks for a lot of menuing for doing slightly more DPS for the first 5% of the fight.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

FF7 Remake

- If you press the charge button during Barret's recovery animation from his basic attack, Overcharge will recharge for free.

There has to be a better way to phrase that, though.

Also:

- At several points you get better or different awards based on how many sidequests you finish.
- Some chapters will have side/quests jobs available. Doing them all will unlock extra goodies/more cut-scenes down the line.

seem redundant to me; I think the top one is better since some cutscenes require completing chapters while skipping sidequests

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

One of the best pieces of advice I got for Death Stranding was to avoid getting off the beaten path, focusing on main story, until chapter 3 or 4 when you have most of your really important toys (eg Trucks). Is there any similar line for MGSV Phantom Pain?

You can completely ignore most side ops that aren't marked as special, the legendary ____, or a translator. A lot of the main ops in Afghanistan are very difficult to get S rank on until you get tools from later in the game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

egg tats posted:

You can play through the entirety of Sony Interactive's Insomniac presents: Marvel's Spider-Man: MIles Morales on the PS4. Don't do this! The last mission probably looks amazing, but I just got a weird slideshow instead of a videogame!

I did it on a launch PS4, it was fine. Your playstation's dyin', cloud.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Graveyard Keeper needs some clean up.

These:
- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science just make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make piles of medium tier stone grave markers.
- If you need blue xp in the early/mid game, make a bunch of glass or stone grave decorations. They may only give a couple of xp each, but the materials for them should be easy to get large quantities of.
- Blue points: you can start generating them slowly when you upgrade your graveyard to finer quality stone decorations. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week for another source of blue. It’s expensive enough you don’t want to rely on it, but cheap enough you can afford to, especially since you can buy just one a week, and a better graveyard means more sermon money.

Are all variations on the same hint, maybe condense to
- Blue xp mostly comes from researching body parts and such on the church basement's study desk. If you need science make a bunch of paper out of corpse skin and pump those into the desk. Later the best source is to make stone grave fences and glass. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week, but you often have a better use for money.

This one:
- Bodies with 0 red skulls get an inherent +2 bonus when buried.
Is just wrong, being based on a misunderstanding of the -2 penalty of open graves

These could be combined, or one removed:
- There’s no real time pressure to the game, just scheduling issues to meeting certain NPCs and handling corpses. In fact, traveling to meet certain NPCs is the biggest time sink. Leave early.
- Remember there is no real fail state, any pressure you feel is self imposed, even the crops don’t need tending.

These
- In relation to your specified gotcha: When you upgrade the church, the bishop requires you get the second tier of citizenship before you can preach again. To get that, you have to pay like 50s in taxes one time. I think that is about the only thing that will actually prevent you from being able to do something for a time. Everything else is going to be at worst having to grind out some xp to unlock some skills you haven’t done yet.
- The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses, but that’s more a relief than a problem. The Donkey leaves a little gift behind to help you get started and the hippie east of town sells what else you need. As for the second upgrade, the rear end in a top hat doesn’t tell you about the citizenship requirement until it’s too late. It’s not a fail state but it will prevent you from further sermons. I found a few convenient ways to fix my income but if you want to be prepared just check the mailbox.

could be condensed to
- The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses. As for the second upgrade, the bishop requires you get the second tier of citizenship before you can preach again. To get that, you have to pay an additional 3s to the Royal Services, which you can do before you upgrade the church.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Here's some stuff for Horizon Forbidden West

- Some items will appear on the resources tab as junk, but they can actually be used for some lategame upgrade recipes. Hold onto Apex Hearts, Metal Blocks, and Pristine Skulls. Ancient junk and ingots can safely be sold for shards.

Apex hearts in the junk group are safe to sell, useful ones go into the gear upgrade resources category.

If a weapon looks at all interesting, just grab it! Weapons are cheap, and most have a unique combination of ammo types.

Green weapons stay relevant much longer than in HZD, and blue weapons can remain situationally useful the whole game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

What is the best approach? Do as many side missions asap or focus on the main missions and farm money and gather ressources? Stun and fulton many NPCs to recruit them?
Or better beeing picky to focus on specialists ?
Should I play stealthy or just go into the bases scorched earth John Rambo and John Matrix style?

Phantom Pain offers a huge variety of viable playstyles, but the "expected" route for most missions is to start stealthy but be willing to go loud/retreat and ecig for alarm to pass if you're caught.

Generally, the worst soldier you can Fulton is better than an empty slot on motherbase, so vacuum up everybody. If you call in a resupply, you get a restock of fultons.

If a sideop looks special (like having the word "legendary" in it) you should probably do it immediately. The numbered ones are just to fill out the open world.

The wiki page is kind of a mess, and could probably be sorted into "Mission" "Controls" and "Motherbase"

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West right now and I think the first entry for it on the wiki:

"Some items will appear on the resources tab as junk, but they can actually be used for some lategame upgrade recipes. Hold onto Metal Blocks, and Pristine Skulls. Ancient junk and ingots can safely be sold for shards. Apex hearts that are in the junk group are safe to sell. The useful ones appear in the gear upgrade resources category."

can be deleted. I've finished the main game and am working on the DLC so I can pretty safely say that I never used a Pristine Skull to upgrade anything, and Processed Metal Blocks were moved out of the junk category at some point. It should be safe to sell anything and everything in the junk category now.

Unfortunately with the DLC they made at least one of the apex hearts in the junk category useful without removing the junk tag (rollerback is the one I encountered)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Armored Core 6

Controls:

Mouse and keyboard is a perfectly viable control setup.

If you want to stay locked on, don't even touch the camera stick.

On a controller, go ahead and swap boost to a stick click and assault boost to a button. Accidentally activating assault boost could kill you, while an accidental boost is safe.

Bosses:

Pulse weaponry does bonus damage against pulse armor. The stat that you are looking for is PA Interference. The first time this is relevant your strongest options for that are the starting sword and one kind of pulse gun.

Unless the boss is dodging/blocking your attacks, cannons and grenade launchers are probably better options than missiles.

If you die to a boss you can enter assembly and redesign your AC without redoing the level. This is also the reason to not sell things, since you can't buy from this menu.

Exploration:

About half of the levels that have part chests have more than one part.

You get nothing if you quit a level, so you can't just find a part or data log and bail.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 29, 2023