Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Hey, Pokemon Conquest question: What should I evolve my Eevee into?
Wait until near the end and turn it into Glaceon. It'll be useless for the middle third of the game or so, but as soon as it becomes Glaceon, it will utterly dominate the last few battles all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

On the other hand it's incredibly cool looking and that's all that really matters in SRIV.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

After struggling through DkS 2 with a dex/pyro build and finding myself completely and hopelessly outclassed in PvP for the most part, I have one piece of advice that I have to give with a heavy heart:

Dex builds are poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly, the only way I can play Baldur's Gate and not get bored is to play with a full custom party. Bioware dialogue/banter isn't exactly a bad thing to miss out on, and half the fun of BG is seeing how much you can bend and break the system with creative builds.

Also, there are no NPC sorcerers, meaning there are no NPC casters worth recruiting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Wow, that sounds like a goddamn mess compared to the first game where you could do that poo poo anytime :raise:
The thing is, you should be able to do them anytime, but they're so arcane and multi-staged that there are only two or three predator rooms in the whole game that have the right mix of environmental objects to actually complete them.

Which is actually even dumber.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've played crusader kings 2 a fair amount, but about to start a Viking play through with Old Gods, and wondering how differently it works and what I need to know. I vaguely remember trying it last year and not being able to raid England properly or something.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

More Space Rangers HD questions:

-What's the best way to avoid getting winged by asteroids as you autopilot?

Ignore them. They're annoying but that's about it. I've played SR2 to exhaustion and they seem like a pain in the rear end but honestly they never really cause any problems of consequence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing Divinity:Original Sin, just finished everything I can in the starting city. The game seems to give me a lot of options, but everywhere I go there are Lvl 5-7 dudes that wreck my level 3 party. I've been looting everything that isn't nailed down and my equipment is good for my level, but going through enemies is a pain.

It feels that the game wants me to do some lower level area first, but I can't find it, and the low movement speed is getting frustrating when exploring.
Hi you want this rough level map:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Flamelurker. Holy poo poo. If they hadn't included a shortcut to his boss door there would be a whole bunch more broken controllers in this world. That guy is a fuckin' rear end in a top hat.
the shortcut was not short enough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oldpainless posted:

What is the shortcut?

Please.
Turn right, fall down a hole and hope not to die

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nothing on the wiki for Shin Megami Tensei 4 for some reason. I've played Nocturne and Strange Journey so I'll probably be fine, but is anything particularly different in this one? Most importantly, which out of Str and Mag is the idiot loser lovely stat this time around?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when I started going out with my girlfriend at the start of uni, student loan hadn't come in yet and I ran out of money in the middle of fresher's week. Selling The Twin Snakes got me enough money to make it to the end of the week and therefore have sex. Thank u Kojima

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kojima-san........ I bombed the begina

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. Some of them are kinda neat so read em if you want but they never give quests or anything.
Untrue, they give really good loot when you murder them

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got to the last fight of advance wars 1 and the bad guy dropped meteors on me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm bad at boardgames. Someone tell me how to play Talisman Digital Edition

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scientastic posted:

All this talk of Far Cry makes it sound quite good. Should I just jump in at the most recent game, or is there a story that I need to follow from game one?
All the stories are standalone.

Far Cry 1 is a brilliant game and still my pick for best of the series. It's nothing like the follow-ups and is very much a hard-as-nails early-2000s PC FPS with some rough edges. If you can deal with that, I guarantee you'll have a good time, up until 2/3 of the way through when they introduce the lovely mutant enemies. There are still a fair few good levels after that though.

Far Cry 2 is generally considered to be a game with some really good ideas that's overall a bit of a chore to play. I got bored with it after a few hours. You drive around the same overly-large maps over and over going through insanely respawning checkpoints and being forced to fight the same baddies over and over. When you reach a fun part, it's very fun, but those are just all too rare.

3 and 4 are very similar and aren't much like the previous two at all, being an FPS twist on the standard modern-UbiSoft big open world with loads of sidequests to wander about and complete and no real difficulty or challenge to speak of. If you're going to play one, it might as well be 4.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

men what do I need to know about Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Is there any reason to go for Morrowind over Skyrim? How much has this game aged?
im glad goons are still wrestling with their insane inability to comprehend or imagine finding something enjoyable that was made before 2009

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tell me what I should know about Blackguards

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any tips for Wizardy in general? Like which one to start with. I'm talking about those gog re-releases, to be clear.
Take one party through 6-8. You know you want to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Anything of interest about Betrayer?
play the first area/hub/whatever and quit because it still seems interesting at that point then it's the exact same poo poo for another eight hours

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I'm planning on booting up E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy for the first time tonight. I read the wiki entry on it, but is there anything else I need to know? It seems like a pretty non-intuitive and complex game system.
With that username you'll be right at home.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

paco650 posted:

No sweat. Try smoking weed and then reading all the terminals in the library. Let me know how this works out.
Christ.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

What should I know before going into Shin Megami Tensei IV?
The first few hours are insanely hard and really not like the rest of the game at all. You might like them if old-school dungeon crawlers have left you with a cripplingly autistic brain (I loved them) but otherwise don't be put off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nah, you can beat Quiet lethally and still recruit her.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

Far Cry is by Crytek and an original level based shooter. Far Cry 2/3/4 are pretty much the same game in new locations and they always improve upon the originals. So yeah, if you must play one then go with 4. Or Blood Dragon which is modern Far Cry condensed into a nonsense 80s cyber hellscape.
Yeah Far Cry 1 is closer to Crysis than anything else. I love it but I seem to be one of a rapidly diminishing few. It’s definitely a bit janky by “today’s standards” but that’s probably not the kind of thing that puts Quarex of all people off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alris posted:

Speaking of MGSV, has anyone stumbled on an efficient way to get Fuel that doesn't rely on paying Konami to give you a half dozen extra F.O.B's or editing your save file?

If you’ve reached mission 30 there are two containers of Fuel that give 7500 each just past the… first gate, I think. I believe u can just grab them and return to ACC

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I was really expecting a full page of "REFUND BUY SOMETHING ELSE".
Anyway, since I didn't really get to starting it off proper since then, I'll repeat my question of what should I know before playing Expeditions: Conquistador since there's a fuckton of things to put points into and at least some of those gotta be dump stats.
Use two of the skirmish fighty men with flanking skills to win every fight in the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What should I know about Xenonauts? I've beaten the original X-Com a few times, so mostly just wondering what differences I need to be aware of.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nation posted:

thanks alot guys :) this game seems awesome so far - not that i have got very far i summoned a spirit and it killed most of the team and then some fat orc murdered them.
yeah you want to run away from that dude

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Centipeed posted:

The problem with this is that I suspect most of the tips someone gives for a Director's Cut of a game would also apply to the original, which means people might miss them if they're ignoring the section devoted to the DC.

I can't separate them adequately because I haven't played most of these games.
I dunno about other games, but with Wasteland 2, everyone gets the Director's Cut free, so it's safe to assume anyone playing it now is going to play that version.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, the Winterized T-51b you get as a reward will straight-out never wear down because it's actually the Virtual version.
Virtuous version?!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tell me about Age of Wonders 3 my men

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That was my impression, yeah. Anyhow, are there any particular recruits that stand out as being better (or worse) than others? I'm in chapter 5 and they really seem interchangeable apart from the three that give extra CP.
Marina is by far the best sniper, especially with the ultimate accuracy skill she gets later.

Otherwise it’s situational really, you can swap people in and out with no penalty since everyone shares levels based on class, so if you think you need some extra anti-armour take some dudes with tank buster, that sort of thing. Vyse and Aika are really good I think but can't remember why exactly.

also there are one or two guys with a trait like “moody” or something and sometimes they ignore orders completely. I hate them and you should get them killed just to spite them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The first map is the only enjoyable part because the game is actually kind of challenging at the start. Take your time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

loving hell seriously? I thought maybe i was just playing the game wrong! But the shooting controls+the general difficulty of the game made me think that actually having to shoot your way through was the "wrong" way to do it so i spent so long trying to stealth the majority of the sections that dont' really seem like they are built around stealth all that much.
I really wanted to like the Sniper Elite games but there are loads of little things that render both 2 and 3 utterly unenjoyable. 3 is better but still generally plays like a lovely knockoff of MGSV.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so Resident Evil 6 is insane. I get that it's a zombie wrestling simulator and quick shots are vital and I should be sliding around all the time but what the hell is going on, how am I supposed to get good and why is it so dark, and just general advice please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can I play E:D as an open space shooter or will there always be an hour of bumbling about trading spice at a 0.7% markup between fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

[*]873 pages of gut-wrenchingly bad fanfiction will be written about boinking your companions.[/list]
And that's just in-game