Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

This has got me thinking about my future bike needs. I am buying an apartment that's in the city centre vs being towards the outskirts at the moment. This will change my commute from being 95% time on the autoroute to more like 60/40 autoroute / city. In the summer my commuting is split now between car and bike, but the balance will shift towards bike with the new place. Neither my CBR1000RR nor Scrambler are really going to cut it, the Fireblade is too fast and has no storage, the Scrambler is too slow and windy.

I borrowed a Multistrada V4S last year which was nice but huge (and quite expensive). I'd consider a V2 especially if they are a bit smaller. What else should be on the list? I like the look of a Tracer 9 GT. Maybe also a Tracer 7? While a S1000XR appeals its going to be too close to the Blade I think.

Africa Twin? DesertX (looks extremely cool but maybe not quite the right thing)? I guess the brief is "comfortable autoroute mile muncher, not too big for the city, not too dorky"

A Goldwing is going to be too big.

Hypermotard with a wind screen and wheelie all the way to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slide Hammer posted:

It's a furious novelty for sure, but I'm disappointed in that tach. Just a convex line? It should spiral inward over the whole screen in 500 RPM increments, what with how many revs you get to play with.
Tach design peaked with the ZX-10 pre-(2021? 22?) kickass rainbow spanning the whole display, I wish more designs would have cribbed from that instead of all moving to the generic TFTs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cataffy posted:

What about a V100 Mandelo? The S in green is a sexy, characterful bike.

Just watched the revzilla daily rider review on that. It's a funky looking machine. Not really sure about it, I'd love to see one in person. I think he does a good job conveying how it feels riding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSfPWLiO9wY

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The best city bike is a scooter. They come in all sizes and power levels.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The best city bike is a scooter. They come in all sizes and power levels.

The worst motorbike is a scooter though, so there's that to consider.
The best purely city bike is an e-bike anyway.

I've been puzzling over this one, being a little bit familiar with the area where Knox rides, and I think it comes down to how much weather protection do you think you need, and are you OK getting it from your gear or do you need it to be built in to the bike.
Personally I think I'd look closely at a GSX-8S, throw a givi box on the back, and treat it like the all purpose flour it is intended to be used as. Especially since you've got a fast bike and an urban plaything already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

are p twins cool now

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

are p twins cool now

No. Never that. But they don't have to be kawasaki 650s either.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 2, 2024

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

are p twins cool now

As cool as KLRs are fun to ride.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Finger Prince posted:

The worst motorbike is a scooter though, so there's that to consider.
The best purely city bike is an e-bike anyway.

I can agree about the e-bike, but early 00’s choppers exist.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Tach design peaked with the ZX-10 pre-(2021? 22?) kickass rainbow spanning the whole display, I wish more designs would have cribbed from that instead of all moving to the generic TFTs.

That's a good tachometer. See?? I like that lap timer tach better, too.

I mean, now that everything is a tablet screen, they're not even constrained by materials or manufacturing cost. If the machine that you're making is special, you can code something really wacky and just show it. Give users access to the programming language they use in the backend of those and let them code their own tach. Hide it behind 3 indemnity screens if you have to.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yes I want Winamp skins for my digital gauge clusters.

Not joking.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Honda SP1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the peak for me

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

There is no better cluster

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Perfection

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No notes

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

moxieman posted:

Yes I want Winamp skins for my digital gauge clusters.

Not joking.

:eyepop:

Retracting my earlier statement, this is the new peak design, everyone please go back to copying that

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

I'm considering a Ninja 1000SX to replace my aging FZ6 that I've kinda converted into a sport tourer, and by converted I mean I added a comfy seat, tank bag, Shad rear box, and soft side bags. Riding triangle on the big Ninja looks to be similar to the FZ6, and I don't think I'd have much interest in the upright ADV-style "sport tourers" like the Tracer/Versys/GSX-GX.

I think my biggest hesitation on that is that I already ride like a buffoon with a 95hp 600, that extra 50hp in the 1000 will be wild

I did exactly this a while back. I loved the Ninjas motor; it has way more power and is a better highway bike. Its also MUCH heavier. I couldn't throw it into corners like the FZ. The I wrecked it and got a Speed Triple lol.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

If you think the new Goldwing's steering is numb and disconnected, you're not going to like what you get from BMW

You already shot the Versys down; try the Tracer 9 GT/GT+. You could also step up to bikes like the Multistrada (maintenance $$$ though, more than BMW, but also way more fun to ride)

FWIW I think you're making a mistake by not even trying the FJR b/c you didn't like the Concours - the C14 has a more aggressive riding posture and tries a lot harder to be a sport bike. The FJR sits pretty upright, the controls can be adjusted and you can get bar risers if you need a sit-up-and-beg riding position.

Just here to resurrect this old comment. I was absolutely wrong about Tracer 9 GT Plus. I've been demo riding it for the last 2 days and absolutely loving it, especially all the amazing features you get at the price point. It's on the buy list now.

For those who don't know, here is 5 min rundown of the features.

https://youtu.be/kfMdU4LNV70?si=lG90NVPctSMwKKqm

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
how dumb would I be to buy a used sv650s?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MSPain posted:

Not dumb at all, except that the naked one is better. Yeah, I said it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

MSPain posted:

I only have experience with the naked version but I get the impression that the hivemind here considers the sv an excellent bike in its class. I'm very happy with mine (that I bought used).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Not dumb at all, except that the naked one is better. Yeah, I said it.

One of the extremely rare occasions where this may not be true

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The little fairing makes a small but significant difference in how comfortable it is to ride it on the highway. What's best for you depends on your use case. Either way i like the looks of the faired bikes (Especially the pointy one) better.

SV suspension is meh, but otherwise they're great bikes. Love mine, there are only few brand new bikes that i like just as much as the SV, and the SV engine is both rev happy and easy to ride at low RPMs if you need to, which is nice in dense city traffic.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I have a naked SV650, it's my 6th bike. It's great overall, especially for the price.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was (mostly) just shitposting, but for me it's a matter of wanting what you can't have. They didn't start selling the naked in Canada until like 2009 or something, so naturally that's the one I really wanted.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I bought an SV new in 2007 and adored it, kept it almost 10 years.

I recently picked up an SV track bike, and just from a few shakedown rides in the neighborhood I already want another for the street.

To me it's just the right amount of power and weight for having a blast on the street without going lethal speeds all the time.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Just here to resurrect this old comment. I was absolutely wrong about Tracer 9 GT Plus. I've been demo riding it for the last 2 days and absolutely loving it, especially all the amazing features you get at the price point. It's on the buy list now.

For those who don't know, here is 5 min rundown of the features.

https://youtu.be/kfMdU4LNV70?si=lG90NVPctSMwKKqm

drat, Yamaha really stepped up the feature set on the GT+. I'm really surprised that's the model they went with to introduce adaptive CC and a TFT display, shame they didn't improve the suspension as well. I know they've got to build to a price point, but I'd rather be able to adjust rebound and compression than have adaptive cruise.

Still, that is far more gadgetry than I would have ever expected on a Yamaha motorcycle, guess they're trying to catch some of the low end of the farkle dad market

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

MSPain posted:

alternatively...
https://seattleusedbikes.com/motorcycle/1995-ducati-900-ss-cr

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

SV's italian brother.

I want it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy how dumb am I if I buy that bike? It would never be depended on to get me anywhere other than a nice ride to a coffee shop or pleasure cruise.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Do you know someone in your area who works on two valve Ducatis / do you want to become someone who works on two valve Ducatis?

If you answered no to both, then no. Otherwise hell yes buy it up.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

moxieman posted:

Do you know someone in your area who works on two valve Ducatis / do you want to become someone who works on two valve Ducatis?

If you answered no to both, then no. Otherwise hell yes buy it up.

No, but I don’t know bike mechanics in the Seattle area at all really.

Maybe, how hard could it be michael, it’s one bananavalve per intake and exhaust?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

2v desmo service is honestly really easy, you just need to make a moderate investment in tools for the job.

Then you need to make a large investment in rocker arms cause they are always, always pounded to poo poo because nobody does the clearances correctly.

Everything else on those bikes is mostly normal and straightforward stuff. You'll go through batteries and starter relays faster than other people, you'll need a clutch slave cylinder pretty much immediately, but everything else is just normal bike stuff no worse than a Japanese bike.

If you're prepared to get your hands dirty and have the bike stood down for long periods because of money or waiting for parts then yeah go for it. Nothing on that is beyond the diy mechanic, they are actually a very elegant and simple motor and a pretty easy bike to work on.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Has your av always looked like that?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
While we are on SV chat, my wife pointed out an auction for a curvy naked SV650 at a local auction place. She doesn't ride. I already have 2 bikes. Is it a trap?

https://bid.pumphouseauctions.co.uk/auctions/8839/srpum10251/lot-details/1b9919fe-431b-42fb-b2b3-b12b0111eeab

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I don’t do auctions but 22% premium seems kinda high, no?

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Good point, very high. I think in person and phone bids are less extortionate, but needs factoring in. I think £800 or so would be about right based on ebay prices. But I don't need another old bike really...

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nitrox posted:

I was absolutely wrong about Tracer 9 GT Plus.

I wandered around the Yamaha garage wanting to check out a Tracer 9 GT+, they only had a 7 which looked pretty bad. There was a used base 9 which I was expecting to like but likewise it looks very boring. I'll try and test one out but I just can't get excited about them. The Tenere 700s look pretty nice, not sure how they would be as commuters.

Also headed to Ducati and sat on a Multistrada V2S and a DesertX. They just seem in a different league for styling from the Yams, particularly the DesertX. It just looks so good. They have a used one in the showroom which looks like a decent deal.

(my first time out on a bike this year, it's a nice spring morning and just lovely pootling around on the Scrambler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

I wandered around the Yamaha garage wanting to check out a Tracer 9 GT+, they only had a 7 which looked pretty bad. There was a used base 9 which I was expecting to like but likewise it looks very boring. I'll try and test one out but I just can't get excited about them. The Tenere 700s look pretty nice, not sure how they would be as commuters.

I've got the previous gen 900GT and yeah, it's underwhelming as a bike. Great value for the kit that's on it, and I scooped it for a song from the PO but I'm already looking to sell come spring.