Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I am seriously stoked to get a TW200 next week; seems about ideal for a short guy who wants a small sturdy urban getaround, and it's about the closest thing you can get in the US to the Yamaha AG100 I love in Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

A Loud Fart posted:

Thanks! This just popped up on Craigslist

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5632381012.html

Pretty nice, this would be my first bike. When you're looking at the carburetor, is there anything that I should pay attention to other than the boot and fuel lines? In warm weather the bike should start right up and idle smoothly, right?

I don't know market price, but I really did enjoy my Ninja 500. Plenty of muscle to keep you busy but not enough to be dumb, cheap to insure, decent aftermarket, and there's an entire and active forum for enthusiats with a good wiki and everything (ex-500.com)

Not sure your intent, but though they look a little plain-Jane with the fairings on, if you strip them they make awesome looking little streetfighters:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Going shopping for mine this week! 5'6, 29" inseam.

EDIT: seconding looking at the Suzuki S40 for a small cruiser for a short person; already tried a Honda Rebel? S40 is the better bike (and awesome aftermarket and conversion options) but Rebel should be fine for mostly cities and quiet roads.

Let me take a moment to say that I'm so, so pleased the US market is shifting to more utilitarian options vice just huge hogs and crotch-rocket liter-bikes. More trim little bikes that make sense in big cities, good for small riders, affordable and tweakable. It's like we're getting back to the 1970s after decades of bikes being pricey and overpowered toys.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 20, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Quick important question about bonded titles in Texas

This is the '89 TW200 with 2k miles for $1650 that's been sitting on CL a couple months, I was looking at this one back when I was in Africa. It's about an hour out of Austin which might also be a factor in it not selling, plus Austin has (I think) a little bit of the reverse seasonal buying since the weather is great for motorbikes year-round, but the college kids all leave for the summer so I'd guesstimate there might be a higher demand for cheap bikes in autumn when school starts.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5623809717.html

Though an older bike, it has a bunch of good accessories, and I spoke with the guy who owns it today and he's an aircraft mechanic who owns a bunch of bikes, claims it's in tip-top shape and I'll see for myself tomorrow.

The issue is he bought it 20 years ago, has title in hand, his name on the back, but it was never transferred over to his name. He had some kind of issue where they were arguing modifications/variant or something at the DMV (this is me summarizing second-hand) and since he just wanted it for dicking around on his property he just didn't bother to pursue it. He said the few times he's ridden it on the road he just borrows plates off his XT225 to fake the funk. He said it might go through fine for me, or I might have to bond the title.

Is that worth messing around with at all or some huge hassle? If I like the bike, would it be smart before exchanging cash that we go to the DMV and I don't pay him until it's assured I can get the title in my name, even with a bond? Or is a bond a multi-step/day process that I can't just knock out in a TX DMV for $100 or whatever (EDIT: TX DMV website says for bikes over 25yrs old "Appraisals less than $4,000 will not be accepted" so does that mean I have to treat a $1600 bike as a $4000 bike for the bond)?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 20, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Razzled posted:

TWs are cool but that's way too much hassle

From googling it doesn't seem like bonded titles are a terrible ordeal in Texas; he's an hour away so if I like the bike I may see if he can ride it up behind me and drop it off as I pay for it so I can work on the title at my leisure. Looks to be probably a $100-150 bond and $45 for paperwork, and I work odd hours so I can just walk in and do it.

But if I do that despite his "firm" price I want him to come down from $1650; I can get a 1998 TW200 with clean title for $1800 in College Station (2 hours away) so can use that as leverage to get the price down. I just like his bike more and most of the accessories are things I wanted anyway so that's cool.

Also we can try just going to the DMV with what he has and seeing if it flies, no harm trying. I just want to use this as bargaining power to get the price down since it's been sitting on CL for two months and I'll have cash to wave at him.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

XYLOPAGUS posted:

By the way, I have done a bonded title in Texas and can give you specifics. I was in a city center and would equate the hassle to about $500. I'd only go for it if it was$500 cheaper than it would be otherwise.

Shoot me a PM or respond here with questions. My situation was a car with a stolen title.

Crap, that's a lot more hassle than I expected. So maybe best to drive an hour further and pay $200 more for a '98 with a totally clean title?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I liked the tougher black/red look of the '89 TW, but honestly the white '98 is fine, and almost endearing in its 90s-style "Xtreme!!!" graphics. If I ride it for a few seasons and love it I'll strip the plastic and change the seat anyway I suppose. Yeah, small more money and travel but a decade newer and clean title. Plus other than the rack I don't need tons of accessories, and can watch for them used online if I want them individually.

Any recommendation for a TW exhaust that's relatively quiet so the neighborhoods won't hate me? I'm not a advocate of "loud pipes save lives", I'll upgrade the horn if I want to get attention. This bike is almost entirely for city use and I hate to be That Guy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Around 98 is when most TW200 aficionados will tell you they "peaked". I wouldn't spend money on an exhaust, it will only likely be louder and won't add horsepower. Dealing with the noise is part of Thumper Lyfe. TW200 buying list is front tire, chain, then farkles.

Talked to the next TW seller, he sold the one posted but has one almost identical, but a '97 with 10k miles. He bought both from some older dude and this current one he put in a new battery and chain, cleaned the carbs and whatnot, it came with street tires on it instead of stock. He's waiting on a new clutch in the mail but will have it installed by Friday, says bike will be tip-top then, asking "maybe $1600". Totally clean title. Sound like a go if I check it out against a pre-buy checklist?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Definitely. Mumble something about the "high mileage" and offer him $1400. The "Street Tires" he's referring to are Bridgestone tw203/204's or Shinko 428. I had the Bridgestones on my TW and they were great on the street and worked ok in gravel but washed out quickly in sand.

I'm a city boy through and through; I get enough bushwacking in my day job that I'm very happy to stay urban in the US and Europe. I'm totally fine with whatever tires are best for the paved street (hopefully they still have that cool TW balloon look).

The poet Frank O'Hara said: "I can't even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there's a subway handy..."

Is 10k mi enough on a TW that I need to worry about engine rebuild over the next few thousand?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Groovy, looks like me and The Banana head up to check it out on Friday morning. If it's all running smooth, the replacement street tires are kosher, and chain is fresh, then we're on to just farkles. My main priority is frame sliders or crash bars since I expect to be doing a lot of city parking and risk the parked bike getting toppled over by soccer moms and brosephs in ridiculously large vehicles. Other than that, some kind of cooler mirror, though not sure if bar-ends are goofy on a dual-sport.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I want a TW200 because it's the closest thing I can easily get in the US to the Yamaha AG100 that I loved in Africa. Not really sold new on the local market, but brought in by the thousands by NGOs and some filter down to the used market from there. Really wanted to get one and they aren't too pricey used ($1500 maybe) but money was really tight in Liberia. If I go back later this year, with actual decent funding, I'm getting one ASAP.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fishvilla posted:

Should I sell my Bonneville and buy a small bike?

I'm not building confidence on the Bonnie in the way I hoped I would. It's just awkward, heavy, and not that much fun to ride around on, especially compared to the little dr200 I dicked around on in the BRC. I have maybe 150 miles on the Bonnie at this point. Is that long enough to make a decision? What are your thoughts?

Yes, sell it and get a smaller bike.

My first bike for a year was a Honda Nighthawk 250cc and I loved it. Sold it and moved to DC and had landed a good job so celebrated by "upgrading" to a Bonneville. They're gorgeous bikes but I just never, never found it comfortable or stable. On the highways it generally felt fine and smooth, but for a bike that's not at all large it felt like navigating a lead boat in town, and I repeatedly dropped it despite never having that problem with the Honda. I put it in storage and went overseas for a bit, came back and got it cleaned up and took two over-long road trips into the Maryland countryside, both ending with me coming back white-knuckled and tense because I'd get way out and realize I'm stuck riding this fucker back for hours after nightfall and just can't shake the thought that it's going to slide out from under me.

While it was still in storage after I got back (I didn't like it enough to be in a hurry to tune it up) I drove a Nighthawk 250cc around DC and loved it, even it was a little weak for the highways. That got stolen and I bought a Ninja 500 and really enjoyed it until someone set it on fire (do not get a motorbike in DC unless you have secure indoor parking).

I'm back in Austin now and want a bike just for city streets and the quieter rural roads, so I'm about to get a Yamaha TW200 (little dual-sport thumper 200cc). If I wanted a highway-capable bike, I'd get a Ninja 500 again, strip off all the plastic like I did before and make it a cool streetfighter. The EX500 has to be winning some award for best-looking bike completely ruined by the world's dowdiest fairings, but looks great once they're stripped.

I don't know your situation, but if you're looking at 95% riding on city streets and arterials and maybe some quiet highways, I'd get a 400cc bike or smaller, or if you need highway capability I'd get a Suzuki GS500 or similar, SV650 (which I know is the most practical choice but they don't move me) or do what I did and streetfighter a Ninja 500. If you get a Ninja, read up slightly to make sure you get a post-'94 since earlier stuff is a different standard and has no aftermarket. EX500s are cheap as hell to buy and insure, good aftermarket and online fansite, and though I'm not a technically inclined guy they're not hard to keep running. Just strip the plastic, maybe get a modern lightweight battery to save a few pounds, and then mess with the front end to get a bucket headlight and move your gauges around, not hard to do.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fishvilla posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm pretty confident selling is the right move after listening to ya'll. Most of my rides are 5-10 mile urban commutes, and a smaller bike sounds like it'd be dandy for that sort of riding. I can sell the bike without eating a big loss as I got it for pretty cheap.

Sounds like a little 250/300 would be perfect for this. I'll try to find a super moto to test ride along with the little street bikes.

Were it me, and I had an inseam over 29", I'd take a hard look at a Super Sherpa. But I'm not an expert on sumos.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

clutchpuck posted:

150 miles isn't even enough saddle time to break in a pair of boots.

Tbf the Bonnie appears to be a totally cliche "thought I'd like it but I don't" bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's on, the TW200 seller two hours away finished replacing the clutch and seals (he apparently buys bikes and cleans them up for CL), and I got a ride from a fellow goon so will be heading up there this afternoon to check it out. It's a '98 or so, so as a different CL ad put it "Full House graphics" but I figure that'll be fun and cheesy in the short term, and if this bike is a keeper I'll be changing things around anyway. So stoked to get some transport, even living in Central Austin, this just isn't a hugely walkable city, especially compared to DC. Now just gotta see how the bike checks out, and if the TW is as close of a match to my needs as all my reading up online (and experience overseas with the Yam AG100) leads me to believe...

EDIT: bought it, awesome, photo and report forthcoming.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 26, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
mc; rtb

Tip o' the hat to goon The Banana who gave me a ride from Austin out to College Station to pick up this 1997 Yahama TW200! I read up before going over as to any critical specific weak points of the TW200, and apparently there are next to none other than trying to figure if the PO was jumping it off cliffs. This one looks really clean, plastic slightly scuffed but still has original warning stickers on it, paint all original and no signs of bending/cracking, chain in good shape and properly tensioned, clutch and seals just replaced by the mechanic, and overall running great. It's got Bridgestone street-tires with plenty of tread.

The seller says the PO was an old guy who sold him two as a pair, that he and his wife had kept up at their lake-house and used them just to run around the neighborhood for errands, but not any serious dirt-biking or trail riding beyond going down a dirt road/path. I realize that sounds kind of like the "little old lady who only drove it to bingo on Sundays" but the bike does look really clean other than expected wear for 10k miles. The wife's bike only had 3k miles and sold for $1895 last week, but the more used one I got for $1600 cash, clean title.

I rode it back from College Station, and again Banana was really chill about us favoring small county roads, since on the huge 70mph rural highways I wasn't thrilled about the traffic and the heavy crosswinds. Note that on the speedo everything past 55 is marked as redline, so yeah, not a speed demon bike. But aside from a few places where we had to take a major highway, the county roads were just gorgeous, winding through twisties through forests and pastures full of long-horn cattle.

Just initial impressions, but this bike feels really stable and comfy despite its small size, it's the opposite of everything I disliked about the Bonneville, but as best as I can recall it feels more stable than my beloved CB250 Nighthawk, though not as fast (which is saying a lot). I'm a short dude and I can't completely flat-foot on both sides but I can get at least the balls and some sole down and on a bike this light that feels fine. I know motorcycles aren't inherently "safe" but I feel safer on this bike than about any I've been on; maybe the fat tires add to that? I really like the upright riding posture for keeping situational awareness, and though the dog-ear mirrors look cheesy, gently caress me if they don't give a great field of view without having to move my head at all.

I don't anticipate taking this bike out on major highways if it can be at all avoided; if I need to go to Dallas for a weekend I'll just get a car off Turo anyway. But for just running around Austin anywhere that's further than I want to bicycle, or running out to the shooting range outside of town, grabbing groceries, etc. this should be optimal. I'll give myself a few months to see if I'm in love with it, and if the novelty has worn off by autumn I'm sure I'll have zero trouble selling it to some college kid who wants a first bike. Though thus far the only things I could see upgrading to would be:

- a small electric of some sort if those eventually come out, cheaper and smaller than the Zero DX (again, 29" inseam limits me)
- maybe an even quirkier small bike, and a twin instead of thumper to avoid rear end numbage, so like an old Honda twin tarted up to be something other than a cafe racer
- if unexpectedly I start feeling the need for speed, my hands-down choice will be to get another Ninja 500, and again strip off all the plastic until it looks ignorant

Thanks again to the goons who nudged me in the direction of the TW200 as I was prepping to leave Africa; it's not an AG100 but it's the closest I'm likely to find in the US. Though I might seriously look into what it takes to import an AG from Africa, since I don't think they're importable commercially but if I have a personal one I think there are some exemptions from usual emissions rules or something? Would be a cool novelty to have running around the US.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

I love the paint scheme on that tdub, and it looks to be in great condition. The one I rode was a pile of rust and nightmares, but I can confirm what you mean about it feeling really safe and stable. I'm glad you ended up with such a clean one, and you're really going to enjoy it.

What's up with the back of that helmet? :wink:

I'm seriously stoked! Mainly I want to get handguards to protect the levers and maybe some kind of crash-bars since I expect idiots parallel parking to knock it over downtown. Though the seller was skeptical about the latter, saying "this bike doesn't have enough weight to damage itself if it falls". There aren't standard frame sliders for it since trail riders don't like sliders since they actually want the bike to slide if it falls and not hang up, but for street use I can see if generic sliders can fit if I replace a given frame-bolt with a longer one with room for the rubber. I'd love this to be indestructible, which will be good too if I upgrade and sell it to a noob college kid.

This critter weighs less wet than a 250 Nighthawk weighs dry; I was debating getting a lithium battery as my standard weight-reduction method (and it'd cut 3% of the bike's wet weight) but no hurry.

I was glancing at Ninja 500s as a possible "upgrade" and drat are even recent ones cheap. Thought about a Ninja 300 (and some have ABS brakes), but the 500 despite being slightly heavier (and I can fix that) is 60hp vs 35 for the 300 so if I want more muscle I'm definitely streetfightering a 500. Am I a twit, or are the 500s awesome for the money? Am I missing some huge downside other than the ghastly plastic?

EDIT: the helmet is a $50 pawnshop special (I know, but it's a 2012 Blinc and pristine) since I needed a helmet the next day to go buy; I'll replace it with a Shoei GT Air soon..

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 27, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

Get some good hand gaurds. You would be surprised what they protect from. On my sumo, they basically prop the bike up off the ground when it falls, so having something like the traditional frame slider pegs on the side of the bike isn't really a thing. Get some sliders for the swingarm and fork axles, I guess, but those are more for hooligans stunting about. Some white hand guards or whatever would look totally rad, too.

Cheap sliders: it couldn' hoit. :rimshot:

But handguards definitely, the TW forum appears to favor the $50 Emgos.

quote:

Get a rack for it, though. And a proper headlight. Then ride the hell out of it.

Again TW forum seems to hands-down favor the Cyclerack, but they're like $200 new and look a little dorky, but I suppose would be good for grocery runs (get tie-down straps or a mesh netting for the rack?). Also apparently they catch really well if the bike drops, so even people who oppose sliders recommend them as drop-guards.

For "proper headlight" do I need to replace the whole assembly, or what drops in? What's wrong with the stock one?

I wouldn't mind a fuckoff loud horn though; the fey little *beep* most bikes make is annoying, if a milf in an SUV starts to cut me off without signalling I want to make a sound like the Titanic about to nail an iceberg.

quote:

Nobody wants a ninja 500 like nobody wants a ninja 250 or GS500. Most people think they are boring and ugly, and the ninja 500 doesn't even have the "sub 2k/1500" thing going for it in people's minds. Those pictures with the fairings off are stunning, though. I'd totally ride one of those. Apparently the front fairing is unsupported and cracks off pretty easily in a fall, and is a problem with them.

They're ugly as gently caress with fairings, but absurdly better without them. I know the Ninja 650R was offered naked, though looks silly wasp-like, but Kawasaki wasted good plastic to ruin the look of their 500 bikes by 60%+. My co-founder might need a bike to keep in WA state and use 20% of the year since our partner company is in a rural county, so I'm looking to strongly push him to a Ninja 500 and strip it. No law-abiding man needs more than 64hp, and it'd be a company asset anyway (if dumbass finally breaks down and takes the Advanced Rider course so he can get an M on his license).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

lops, it turns your dim terrible rectangle headlight into like... the sun. It's a cheap upgrade. That doesn't change the look of the bike, and will be all you really need.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Does this take any skill to install, or a soldering iron or whatever, or are we talking Lego-level?

quote:

There are also amazing horns for like $50, so that would be good too.

Any specific recommendations that are plug-n-play on a TW200? I just want more volume and less blippy; *insert All About That Bass joke*

quote:

Be careful, you are already on the road to infinite farkles.

Nah, I don't think it's that bad. Handguards are $50, headlight $65, horn $50. Though I have heard that improved seat cover/pad on the stock pan are way more comfy and oh my god I can turn this into a moneypit...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
About to go get my TW200 inspected and plated; USAA doesn't do TX but I got an affiliate hookup for Progressive, now covered with Comprehensive insurance for $77/yr with $3/yr for roadside assistance. Once again being a responsible adult with a cheap, low-powered bike is making my life easy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've been following your last couple months and I'm happy for you. Especially after your bike got torched when you were still living in DC. Just wanted to say that.

D'awwww! :3 Thanks!

For those that missed it, here's what happened to my '91 Ninja 500 in DC, and a local blog writeup: http://www.popville.com/2013/07/motorcycle-troubles-arson-vandalism-and-theft/

Just doing some casual city riding with this TW so far (other than the 100+ mile ride to get it home from the seller), and so far it's the comfiest city bike I've ever had. Not fast, but feels rock-solid. My only grip so far, and this is totally likely just my technique and not a problem with the bike, is that it stalls easily if for example I cruise with the clutch lever held or am at a stoplight, so I have to gun it just very slightly every few seconds to keep it going. On the bright side it starts up (and re-starts) easily with almost no throttle, so not sure if I should adjust something or just not expect it to keep running while coasting without a little throttle.

Don't want to give-a-mouse-a-cookie too much, but if I decide it's a keeper I might replace the front bulb and/or horn, and I'm probably going to put some kind of rack on the back for groceries and shopping, just not sure whether to get a more compact rack or a big wide one. But mainly want to get gauntlets to protect my levers and mirrors and all. I've also heard really good things about upgrading the seat, which would be good if I go for longer rides since the 100mi trip caused some real rear end-numbness.

If I really, really love it and money does indeed start coming in well by late summer, next time I'm going to be gone overseas for a month or so I could see dropping the bike off at a shop, giving them a bunch of photos off Google of stripped-down custom TWs and say "make it look something like this". But overall yeah I'm pretty pleased with how life is going.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
tl;dr: a 5'3" woman friend wants a beginner motorbike solely for urban commuting or the quietest of rural country roads. She likes the cruiser look and felt really comfy sitting on a Rebel 250 in the showroom. Used recent-make Rebel 250 or V-Star/Virago probably the best bets?

Okay, since my TW200 is pretty clean I figure I'll just ride it as-is, adding just some basic accessories like the Emgo handguards (blue to match current color) and a rear rack of some sort. As much as these look cool modified, it's probably not worth doing on a bike this inexpensive and this clean; if I upgrade it'll be to a Ninja 500 and nobody gives a gently caress if you modify those since they're so ugly stock and so awesome with the plastic torn off, can mod Ninjas pretty easily without any welding or major cutting. Anyways one of the few reasons I might want to upgrade would to get more horsepower to travel between cities. But most likely I'll just keep riding the TW200 as-is until either/both my finances take off as business expands and/or some decently affordable and compact electric motorbike with at least 40hp equivalent on the market comes out that's suitable for a short person and doesn't look like something out of Bladerunner.

Completely separately, a friend in Austin mentioned she's been debating getting a scooter or motorbike forever and selling her car; it's a 2006 Pontiac G6 which is actually pretty fun to drive but she's sick of paying the insurance/gas/maintenance on it and it seems pointless since she has a basic 20 minute commute on side-streets and basic errand running in town. We went to Woods' Fun Center just to sit on some bikes, after a long chat and showing her some stats and pics online. She's about 5'3" and stubby and chubby, but she was able to flat-foot the Honda Rebel 250 in sandals on the showroom floor, so should make it fine in proper boots. She tried sitting on some scooters (Metro, Ruckus, etc) and though they were cute but preferred the Rebel, and had no interest in the Ninja or any of the dual-sport. She tried sitting on the Suzuki S40 but it's 25% heavier so she likes the Rebel. She also digs the cruiser look from movies/TV and felt really comfortable with the ergos.

From what I'm reading up, the Rebel and the V Star/Virago are pretty similar in weight, though the Rebel somehow is said to feel more "cramped" (that's great for her size). Is the overall consensus that the V is a slightly better bike for slightly more money but the Rebel is basically fine in that category too?

I have her totally sold on MSF course and a full-face helmet, good boots and a durable used jacket. Other than that mainly looking at a luggage rack so she can use it for running errands and maybe crash-bars for when she drops it. I know the 250 Rebel is underwhelming for highway, but she's really only interested in urban commuting, or wandering around the tiny county backroads and avoiding highways, and the Austin area has some really cute and picteresque backroads (which is how I got my TW200 back from College Station since it barely gets past 55).

So look for a reasonably recent 250cc Rebel or V-Star with a clean title that passes the basic pre-buy checklist, and good to go?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
???

A Grom is 9hp, a Rebel is 18hp; quite a difference. And she's really into the cruiser look, and plenty of Rebels around cheap while Groms are so popular in Austin they barely depreciate at all.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The Bananana posted:

Tap, what about that giant Suzuki cruiser I was looking at?

That bike is over 600lbs, literally twice the weight of the Rebel she was looking at.

Btw, saw one of those Kawasaki Vulcans in person for the first time. A 650 Ninja warped and tortured into a cruiser? How deliciously perverted and awesome.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Anyone with a strong preference as to Honda Rebel 250 vice Virago/V-Star 250? I think we pretty much have it narrowed down for her; she's only sat on the Rebel but they're basically pretty similar though the Virago has 21hp vice 18hp. The main criticism I've heard of the Virago is that the friction-zone on the clutch is pretty narrow and takes some getting used to, but a) clearly a lot of people get used to it b) there are aftermarket levers specifically made to address this.

The salesman told her the Rebel was a better buy specifically because of the clutch issue, said he had a customer buy a new Virago and trade it in for a Rebel just a week later because she hated the small friction zone. Then again this guy also insisted that she should buy a bike before taking the BRC (and they offer free BRC with purchase of bike) which is freaking stupid because who wants to bang up their own bike dropping it in a class? He did some stupid wave towards nearby literbikes and said "the class could put you on a totally different bike like this and you'd do your first learning on a completely different kind of bike and not feel comfortable on your own". But aside from sales-babble, the Virago clutch finnickiness does get discussed on online forums.

Probably it'll just come down to whatever is available when she's shopping, though Rebels seem far more common and slightly cheaper; better aftermarket too? The only reason I don't just advise her to look only at Rebels is that from what I read the Virago is a slightly "nicer" bike and slightly higher claimed top speed of 85mph vice 70mph on the Rebel, though in probably both of those cases that speed isn't pleasant, comfy, or quick to reach.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Rebel is actually a parallel twin.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Nighthawk 250 was my first bike, eight years ago and based entirely on recommendations of this thread. IIRC I paid $1000 cash and a Ruger P89 pistol to a guy in Hyde Park, and promptly crashed into a bush (no damage to any party involved) trying to make my first u-turn. In retrospect a TW200 would've been an even awesomer first bike.

For my friend, it does seem Rebel and Virago/V-Star are much of a muchness, it'll probably just come down to whichever one we first find a good deal on and she likes it when she sits on it. Had an odd cultural moment trying to explain to her that no, she can't get one in green because that's Kawasaki's color and Honda's color is red, so a Rebel will have to be in red or black and if she loves it to death for a year or more maybe she can look into painting it hunter green or something.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is a 360 bad, or what's the significance?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M42 posted:

Fuckin trackbikes, lol.

Apparently same for trail-bikes, as with the TW200 I was trying to buy (prior to the one I ended up buying) the seller was all "I bought it 20 years ago but had trouble getting the title transferred, so didn't bother since I'm just riding it in the dirt anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
My Austin woman friend is pretty set on a Rebel 250 now as a first biek, so all good there.

Separately, a friend is looking to move to Portland OR, and so I was helping him by cruising CL. If it's still there when he arrives in a few weeks, would this be an okay deal? http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5696404309.html

It's a '97 Kawasaki KE 100, a 100cc single-cylinder two-stroke street-legal dirtbike. He's just looking for something for getting around town in Portland, no real highway use. Basically just something less-lame than a 50cc scooter. He rode my TW200 while visiting Austin and dug it, and these look kinda crude but bulletproof. Worth looking at for $1350 as just something better than a motorized bicycle for urban use? Failing that, we're keeping an eye out for CL listings for Ninja 500s and GS500s mostly.