Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hit 4000 mi recently and I am really not feeling my FZ that much. I miss my CB-1 for reasons I don't really understand or can put into words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

VFR800, that's a mans bike right there

I have a new one with ABS pegged as my next bike but I'm gonna get real good at riding before I think about trading up

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Fall is awesome for riding in the south

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I mean, people bicycle across the country too, but that doesn't mean it's comfortable.

The sprung Brooks saddle on my Long Haul Trucker begs to differ :smugdog:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Get a zg1000 with original panniers

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is lane splitting harder with big touring luggage?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Paint vagrant I heard the ninja 300 is a good choice for short people, it's got upright ergonomics for a sport bike and low seat height

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What bike is best for lane splitting the 10, 405 and 101? because that's what 90% of my riding entails

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat maybe I'll trade in the fz for one. My commute just changed to about 15 miles of drive time lane splitting thru Koreatown and the 10

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Get the Daytona

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Get something with a forgiving suspension and upright seating (to see over cars). The suspension is for the many potholes, divots, and ridges from unmaintained roads. Almost lost it yesterday on la brea because I ran over some tree roots pushing the asphalt up making a huge bump in the road. loving trees

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Get a stretched busa- check Craigslist there's lots of deals!!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

get the new one, with heated grips and self cancelling turn signals

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SV is EFI after like 2004

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What bike should I buy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

wrong thread

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The FZ07 pulls all the way through sixth too, you don't need the triple to pass cars on the freeway

though a big part of me also wants an effortless torque monster, something like a CB1000R. but I also like using the whole rev range and I'll never go fast enough in town to really use that bike

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

If you want someone to show you the ropes riding around LA just PM me. LA is scary at first but traffic starts to make sense after a while

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat I saw a brand new 650F on Wilshire today and it's making me want to switch it up from the FZ. I know it's dumb but hondas are just really cool to me. but i need a bike with a helmet lock and a center stand and I'm not sure if they offer that on the 650f.. abs seems real nice tho as a commuter

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I rode one of yesterday and my take was an awesome engine coupled to a bike that gained 40kg as it made its way from the suspension lab to the production line. Way too soggy and bouncy, especially the forks. Which would be ok if it weren't so ridiculously heavy for what it is; I'd rather an SV.

fwiw I've read that they've revised the suspension for the '17 models

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat that's how much I paid for my fz07. But I think I might trade down because the cheapest insurance I can find is still like 80$ a month in LA. I'm 28 and have never had an accident

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I think they also have the CB400SF over there

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

spouse posted:

what's wrong with cbr300s?

They had a major recall over the crank or something this past year. Also they're kinda slow I guess

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cause they're loving dope

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I would examine why you want to change it up more before shopping. Power? Suspension? Ergonomics? Luggage and practicality? An SV 650 will be marginally faster but will have basically the same budget oriented components as a 300

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

just get a VMAX

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

punch drunk posted:

Sold my Ninja 250 a little bit back and haven't had a bike in a while. I miss it quite a deal and I was looking for a little step up in power but nothin big. I do quite a bit of highway riding and while I never felt that unsafe on the 250 the buzz on that thing at higher rpm bothered me a bit.

That said how are Buell's generally regarded here? Specifically I think I'd like to take a look at this: https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/6017926280.html

I think your 250 was probably faster

what about an EX500? https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/6015764170.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 22, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

According to my experience, yes. That or a minivan

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Post a map of your commute roads. But 120 mi a day is a lot of saddle time so o would lean sport touring. But it depends if you have to split or not, deal with weird roads etc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I like what they did with the plate holder

Other than that yeah just get a used 900 hornet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

are you extremely short?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yeah its a cheap cool tiny thing that you can ride to work or whatever. but if you're only going to have one bike i would at least look at the r3 or cb500-series

the grom seems tailor made for serious bike enthusiasts with at least one in the garage already. people who want tiny city things are looking at scoots

dude didnt' give us anything more than 'wants a small bike' so

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

aerodynamics is my guess

a cruiser style has better aero than a sumo style bike. wayyy less cross-section.

but only way to know for sure is to put the grom engine in a 125 cruiser

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That's... pretty cool!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Should I trade in for a new DRZ sm or stick with the Fz 07

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just have bike ADD. Maybe I'll just get an exhaust system for it, the thing sounds like a lawn mower's wet farts right now

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I guess I can just list a few of my complaints about the bike and you guys can tell me if I'm crazy, should throw money at it, or switch it up. I'm at about 1 year / 10,000 miles.

• It sounds like a poop
  • It's really really bouncy on the freeway. My new commute has me hitting up to 100mph or so on the 2 and I have to post with my legs the whole way or I'll get bounced out of the seat.
  • There's no helmet lock. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it.
  • There's no center stand. My 89 Honda had this and I really miss it. I have a pit bull stand but it's a pain in the rear end to drag down to the garage (shared). Also, center stands are nicer for parking sometimes, and doing maintenance away from home.
  • I have a very reliable Miata now and don't need the bike for my commute as much so I might want to go back to an older / more interesting bike.
  • I don't really like how it looks. I mostly bought it because it was cheap and had a warranty and it was going to be my only vehicle for a while since I had just moved to CA and I knew it would be reliable.
  • I think I might be too tall for it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 22, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

tjones posted:

I full exhaust and tune on a FZ07 turns the bike from no sound to the best sound.

Any recommendations? It looks like I can either get the Akra with baffle in and skip a tune, or something cheaper and have to chip it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

drat VFRs are sweet. Are the gear-driven cam versions the best ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

im jonesing for a VFR now. There are some really nice ones near me, what should I be looking for and what year range? Why are they all red?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6116956145.html how is the price on this?

Also this not good one where hes not even using current pictures of the bike because its needs to be repainted.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/6133587898.html
How did he think a posting like that would be ok?

Lol I already had both of those starred. What's up LA buddy