Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There's a fair amount of poo poo you can get used, but it's nowhere near the bargain of Japanese parts. And if you need anything OEM, it's $$. And I agree with n8 that the K bikes are generally kinda meh. Solid and unique looking, but heavy, not high performance, and not a lot of fun to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

I bought the Ducati
Good man. Now you can say, "as a Ducati owner," :smuggo:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

EvilCrayon posted:

I am really attracted to the RC-51 but only for absolutely no good reasons.

So what would be a decent replacement? I've been thinking about the Speed Triple or even an Aprilia Futura that's for sale locally...
Aprilia. V2 is best engine. Also I recently rode a Superhawk (predecessor to RC51) and it was so awesome. Because it's a V2. Best engine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are no detachable sidecar rigs, really. They all attach to the frame and suspension of the bike in a big solid heavy way. And the Urals in general are cool looking but not very reliable, and of course there's not the big network of parts out there to be had like there is with major bike brands.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

occipitallobe posted:

Right now I'm looking at three bikes on Ebay - a 1993 Honda CM 250 for $1650 (though I suspect I can get it for $1400), a 1983 Kawasaki Z 250, for $1500, and a 1997 Yamaha Virago 250 for $1500.
Of those 3 I'd suggest the Virago. I think it's the lightest, and the engine is more fun. Being newer helps too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I heard talk about some HD dealers not really wanting to support or sell Buells even when the brand was alive, though. Was that just talk?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So they don't do V-rods huh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

Would a SuperHawk be a great upgrade from a SV650, for my gf? As in is it a reliable, low-maintenance bike?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcd/3394531844.html
I think they do have some reliability issues. Cam chain tensioners. Also, that's a hell of an upgrade. I've ridden one of those things, and they loving scream. But they're awesome bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Halo_4am posted:

She's 5'5" with a 27" inseam.
Those Softails are all over 700lb if I'm not mistaken. I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and they're huge by my standards. I know this isn't helpful, but I think she's just crazy if she wants a Harley. The smallest ones they make are around 560lb, as heavy as the heaviest touring bikes I've ever owned, and she already ruled those out as too small.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

It's the reverse of the older ducati auto-retracting stands...you don't trust it but it works perfectly. On the ducs you accidentally dump it when it springs back and you forget about it.
Those kickstands are the worst kickstands ever made. The Harley ones actually do their job at least.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

slidebite posted:

When I shop for a vehicle, I give aftermarket items 0 value 99.9% of the time,
This. Unless it's something that you specifically want. Like if I could find a Ducati with Termi carbons already on it I'd be like sup baby but anything else I'd be like no f u

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

What are some other beginner-friendly (both in power and maintenance requirements) sport style bikes besides the ninja 250/500, gs500 and sv650?
Those are all fairly different bikes too, I'd say. The 250 behaves and feels a lot different from the rest, and the sv650 has quite a bit of power compared to the rest. Same with a Ninja 650. If you're looking in that range, you could throw in the FZ6 and Honda 599s and stuff too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Look, don't get a Suzuki when you could get a Ducati. Don't do that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've heard this as well, many many times. I'm far from an expert, but this sounds like the bullshit someone who has never had an ABS bike would say. It is very noticeable when the ABS kicks in, the pulsing in the brake handle (or pedal) can't be mistaken for anything else. If anything, I'd say it makes it easier to practice proper braking, since you don't need to be afraid of locking a wheel and get a clear indicator (the pulsing handle) when you brake too hard. Sure, laying face down on the road is a clear indicator too, but come on...
I've ridden some bikes (BMW G650) with ABS where the system is amazingly nonintrusive, actually. Like, if you didn't know much about brakes, you might not really notice when it kicks in. This shouldn't take away from your point about the benefit of ABS, though. I think it might be the greatest single safety feature ever invented for bikes. I'm love that BMW is making it standard on all 2013+ models, and I hope every other manufacturer does too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KodiakRS posted:

The new FJR is on the table as well as the r1200rt.
R12RT is a lovely comfy bike for touring, but "sport" it ain't. Just FYI.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KodiakRS posted:

You may be surprised. It may not put out the HP numbers of the CRJ and the C14 and may look like a land barge but it weighs less than 600#. It's also has a relatively short wheelbase, decent cornering clearance, and surprisingly aggressive steering geometry. It's certainly not a sport bike, and I'm guessing it runs out of steam when you start to hit triple digits, but when compared to the rest of the "normal" ST bikes it's the one I'd pick for a quick blast down a canyon road.
I dunno man, I've ridden em, and I like em, but they sure don't feel sporty.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've been looking for a while for something that can handle touring better than my Speed Triple while still being fun to ride, and in an IRC discussion someone mentioned the Ducati ST. Zooming the list yields two kind of near me:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/3608419731.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/3609919012.html

- Are the maintenance costs on these significantly higher than a BMW or FJR? The Ducati dealer near me is notably untrustworthy so I'm either finding a third-party shop or doing it myself, and I'm pretty inept.
- I already know about the rocker flaking issue on the ST4 and that it'd benefit from a sprocket job if not already done. Anything else a big concern? Anything in particular to look out for?
I got an ST2, I like it quite a bit. I'd rather have the 4. It has a 916 engine, if I'm not mistaken. Maintenance costs are gonna be fairly high and they're kinda underengineered. Weak charging systems etc. Maybe more expensive than an equivalent BMW (K1200RS or something). Don't know much about FJRs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

That's a neat way of putting it. My bike is built with technology from the Apollo program era. :c00l:
Mine's pre-NASA. I win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Anybody got a bike that's pre-sputnik?
Yeah, me. I win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

theperminator posted:

"I don't like Ducatis"
There's something wrong with her.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Commuting in a city, I think you're better off with a scooter. No clutch hand to cramp, easier to park, easier to slip between cars. And $2500 will be plenty to get you a decent used scooter.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

A beat up bike from 82 is unlikely to be low maintenance,
This. Any bike that old is not going to be minimal maintenance. Get something 90s or newer. Those old Japanese fours are fairly heavy too, it might not be a lot of fun around town unless you're tall.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

What do you guys think about this bike? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3731871257.html
I've never ridden before but plan on taking an MSF course. I really love the style of cafe racers and this bike caught my eye and is in my price range.
Does your state have vehicle safety inspections? Cause that bike wouldn't pass in my state. It's been messed with. If it is viable transportation legally speaking, I'd be careful in checking out how functional it is before getting it. It's an old bike and very often people who "customize" bikes like that do a poor job.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah shaft FDs don't just blow up. Only on rare models do they go bad, and you'll see it coming when they do.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Most of mine seem to go out before 5k. But as a Ducati owner :smug:, I ride like a dong.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jose Pointero posted:

I also agree that avoiding the allure of old cheap "fixer upper" bikes on craigslist is a good idea for your first bike.
I bought an expensive old fixer upper on the internet and I couldn't be happier with it. Never gonna sell that bike. But I did get it with the full intent of doing some serious bike repair learning with it myself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

A bike mechanic, sure. I can't speak for your area but most dealerships around here do a pre-purchase inspection which (I found out to my dismay) is pretty rigorous.
Is it? What did they do?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How dare you. That bike could have been a badguy in any Knight Rider episode.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well let's be honest, it doesn't say TURBO anywhere on it, so it could theoretically be more 80s.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
PC isn't that ugly. It's just impossible to work on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I think upright neutral seating (not feet-out-front like a cruiser) is actually more comfortable even though the cruisers look more like sitting on a couch. Dualsport bikes like an F650 often have that, and it makes them very easy to handle, aside from the often tall seat heights they have. KLR650 is another one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Look everyone be quiet for a minute because here's my :siren:PROFESSIONAL OPINION:siren: on Ulysseses: Aside from the cheap looking switchgear and the idle vibration, they're awesome bikes. Comfy ergos, shitloads of torque, lots of fun.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounds like they worked fine and he misused them and then invented the delusion that he deliberately crashed to avoid a crash. Like 99% of everyone who talks about a bike crash online does. Also, pretty turn up physically and can't get on a bike again any time soon...but rode it home?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Backov posted:

Can someone talk me out of wanting a Monster 1100 Evo? I've heard that the Monsters are not that much of a bike, but that one sounds pretty nice. I've never ridden one.
No. Get it. They're comfortable and plenty powerful and Ducati.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Mostly I was looking at the older style bikes (like the Royal Enfield) because of the styling (I don't really care for the sports bike look and care even less for cruisers) and because I was figuring they've gotta be cheap to obtain/repair/upkeep due to how old the design is. They seem to run forever. But if what you guys are saying is true (and I'm gonna keep reading) I'll probably just have to go for something a bit more common, at least for now. No worries there.
I wouldn't talk you down from getting an old bike, cause that's what I did, but you gotta know what you're getting into. You're not gonna be riding a lot at first, you're gonna be fixing. If you wanna fix, get an old bike. If you wanna ride, get a new bike. I enjoy the fixing so it worked out for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I found a 1985 BMW R80/7 with a sidecar. Is this whole setup as ridiculously bad of an idea as I think? I called the number; guy was busy and couldn't talk other than to give me a year and model. I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow if this thread doesn't think it's a total disaster.

The R80 has what, 50hp or something? Do boxer engines run forever? Does it have the dreaded "split the bike" to get at the clutch? The brakes looked tiny (single front disc, drum rear). The wheels looked tiny; are there even any decent tires that would fit those?

What kind of price would make this setup worth something?
Enough power for a sidecar if you don't need to go hella fast. They make good torque. They made a dual disc front, you could convert it to that without tremendous work if it's got the stock wheels and forks. One disc is gonna be a bit lacking for a sidecar. I assume it has the original telescopic forks. Those aren't really great for sidecar use I hear. Not sure exactly what issues will arise, though. They do have the single dry plate clutch sandwiched between the engine and transmission so you have to loosen or pull half the drivetrain to replace it. The clutches last a long time in solo use, dunno about sidecar. If the wheels are stock, tires are not hard to find, just not sport bike tires. They run forever if you take care of them. Not sure about the price. Wild guess, in good shape, 4-5k? More serious BMW sidecars would have the dual disc and some kind of leading link front end.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

PadreScout posted:

I test rode a V7 about 6 months ago. I hate them. I hate them with every fiber of my being, they're boring, sound boring, handle real nice, plenty of power. BORING. I can't begin imagining how they made something SO BEAUTIFUL so absolutely soulless.

If the V7 said "Honda" on the side they would sell 100 million of the things.
I agree that they're kind of disappointing but for totally different reasons. I dunno what you're talking about with the boring. They sound good, they're fairly light so they're fun. I couldn't even list you the number of other bikes out there that are more boring and sound worse. It's like 90% of every Japanese brand and 95% of all BMWs and most Triumphs. They do not have plenty of power. They have moderately enough. For 700cc they could have a lot more.

I own a 1984 V65SP and it's stunning how similar they are. I worked on a new V7 Stone today and I'm pretty sure the frame, the block, the transmission, the swingarm, the final drive, even the dipstick, are all literally identical. The valve train appears identical, the heads and valve covers are cosmetically different. It lacks a dual disc brake like my 84 has. It has more low end torque and less top end power. It's fuel injected but it runs kinda crappy in exactly the same way my old carbs do. Lots of hesitation when accelerating after starting up cold. Seemed to me that the only improvement they'd managed in 25 years was a final drive that didn't leak directly on the brake disc when it leaked. Oh and the seat lock is a little less of a pain in the rear end to get to. And they're not that cheap. That bike retails for slightly more than a small size BMW. Given that they've spent nearly $0 in R&D since Reagan was in office, they ought to be pricing down near the bottom end of Japanese street bikes. Actually Carter, cause I think my V65 first came out in 79.

Pretty amazing. Even Harley can't top that, can they? Haven't they changed an engine case slightly since 1984? A swingarm? Maybe?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Japanese love making GBS threads out bikes for years on end if they still make money on them. Look at the DR650/XR650L/etc.
Yeah but in those cases, those companies also make some very high tech poo poo. Everything else Guzzi makes besides the V7 isn't much better.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's in pretty rough shape. Rust, pitted chrome, dull aluminum and plastic bits, ripped seat. Single disc, telescopic forks. Looked like the carbs were probably in dire need of work, as the throttle cable jam nuts weren't jamming anything and the cables could wobble around pretty well. The sidecar seat holds water pretty well, though.

Only wants $5800 for it, and it's a consignment, so the shop was pretty firm on price.
That sounds like a piece of poo poo. 5800 is a lot for a piece of poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

If you want a solid sidecar motorcycle take a look at the Urals, they're expensive but they're pretty sweet. All the old school charm but completely modernized, also most of their sidecars are 2WD! :eng101:
I wouldn't call them solid, though. I've worked on a few, they're built like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm looking at three different bikes.

1. BMW F650 (97-2000)
2. BMW K75s (as new as possible)
3. Suzuki SV650 (1st gen)

I live in a city and I'll be commuting, getting groceries, running errands and every now and then taking some longer trips (300miles) on it. The SV is only on the list because they are so cheap - the other two usually come with a bunch of commuter friendly options like heated grips and big side cases that the SV won't usually have (that's vstrom territory but I don't want to spend that much.

Can anyone here speak to these? I've poked around on f650.com enough to know what to look for on the F650 and the K75 appears to be an indestructible, although not particularly exciting, brick.
SV will be more fun but either BMW will be better at the list of activities you have. K bikes are heavy but functional and good for touring, 75 is smooth, nice original panniers are available. F650 will be lighter and easier around town and also has good luggage options but not as good for long distance.