Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Anybody have experience with Aprilias? I've had an SV650 for 8 years and I'm looking for something a little wilder. I do love the torque so I feel like a 4cyl wouldn't be for me, so I've been looking at 2004-2010 RSV-R's. Terrible idea? Any other bikes I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

4cyl torque concerns need not apply.

The V4's are outside of my budget, sadly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aprilia have never made a straight-4 engine. Pre-Piaggio-V4 Tuonos and RSVs were 60-degree v-twins made by Rotax. Also check out the Shiver and/or Dorsoduro, "only" a 750 twin but it'll still rip your face off compared to an SV.

I...know? Thats why I was looking at 04-10 RSV's, I know they're a twin.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Anybody have experience with Aprilias? I've had an SV650 for 8 years and I'm looking for something a little wilder. I do love the torque so I feel like a 4cyl wouldn't be for me, so I've been looking at 2004-2010 RSV-R's. Terrible idea? Any other bikes I should consider?

Followup. Between the two, assuming a test ride is not going to happen realistically, would you go for an RSVR/Tuono, or a Speed Triple? If I'm after torque I'm assuming the Ape is the answer, but the Triumph doesn't seem to be a slouch either.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I had an e21 bmw where the 1/2 mark on the gauge was approximately 2/3rds to the right, the 1/4 mark was halfway and the fill up now mark was at 1/4. Sort of implying that if you had more than half a tank you had nothing to worry about whereas if you were down below half you needed ever increasing gauge fidelity.

This made me curious enough to look it up. That's kinda cool.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Counterpoint: if you sell the 919 I'll be mad at you

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yeah, would dad that bike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

When you're riding a bike for the first time, even a boring-ish bike is pretty exciting. I still remember the first time i used the full rev range of the pretty boring CBF500 of the riding school.

Can confirm- the pokey rear end GZ250 I learned on was an absurd amount of fun as a first time rider.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

They may also just be cheapskates, the hornet 900 for example has the same system even though it doesn't strictly need to.

FWIW I've never had to use mine, even on pretty cold mornings. Maybe in sub zero temps it'd be needed I guess.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

As much as I love the idea of the ZX-4RR, that is a hard pass at that price. Get the SV.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's some fun times, especially early the morning and on some of the arterials. But I'm already doing this on my super ten, and the problem is that it's just too big (same problem the Harley has), so I'm just trying to downsize. And I use the car on suit and tie days or when it's 110 at 6 in the morning.

I'm admittedly an EV fanboy, but this is kind of a perfect use case for an EV bike if you are going to have multiple bikes anyway. No heat coming off the bike in traffic, and that distance is easily done on a single charge on even the smallest capacity Zero.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed, SVs are not rare, don't buy a rust bucket with that many issues.

And in the future ignore anything the seller says about the age of the tires and just check the date codes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Point

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You could go the Grom/Z125 route too. I've been having a blast on mine doing parking lot practice and kart track.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

How droppable are those? That's definitely an option, and I would love to find one that's already a bit scuffed and hasn't been stretched/farkled/UpGrAded

I haven't dumped mine yet but I understand they both take to it pretty well. Even without sliders at low speeds I think the only thing that will touch down are the bar ends and maybe the ends of the shift/brake pedals.

There are plenty of crash cages out there for both if you want to drop it all day, since so many people stunt these little bikes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

morothar posted:

So while I’m happy with the Trident, it plain sucks in cold weather compared to the adv bikes I’m used to riding. Turns out naked bikes are… naked.

Hence I’m kicking around ideas which bike I might want to add to the stable that would allow for more 3-4 season riding. I’ve also found that the seating position on the Trident is borderline - if I hunker down too much, my lower back gives out.

So now I’m looking at my old haunt, GSs & GSAs, and even contemplating a Goldwing, though I’d have to check the riding position on one. ABS is a must, linked brakes preferred.

What else am I missing that’s no more than $10K for a 2013 +/-

If you're considering a Goldwing: FJR. I got mine mostly as a long distance/2 up bike, but it's almost all I've ridden during the winter because the wind protection and seating position is just so drat nice. It easily lowered my floor for winter riding at least 10 degrees compared to my naked bikes.

I was out over the weekend, it was 45F, cruise control set at 85 on the highway, windscreen up, heated grips cranked, I could do that all day. It can seriously boogie in the twisties too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Awesome. I hope you’re gonna tune it because they are neutered from the factory in a bad way.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I bought an SV new in 2007 and adored it, kept it almost 10 years.

I recently picked up an SV track bike, and just from a few shakedown rides in the neighborhood I already want another for the street.

To me it's just the right amount of power and weight for having a blast on the street without going lethal speeds all the time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I demo rode the 8S and really liked it, as much as you can glean from a shortish guided demo ride anyway. The engine was very punchy and had surprising character.

I owned a Street Triple and would still take that over the Suzuki though. Glorious bike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I finally have a buyer lined up for the Zero so naturally I'm shopping for something to immediately claim that garage space. Budget is around $7-8k.

Current other bikes: 919, FJR, Z125, track SV650.

Riding the SV makes me really want a middleweight for street use again. I want something torquey. I'm currently eyeing up a few Duke 890s. I've ridden MT07 and 09s but they don't really speak to me for some reason. Probably because I find them hideous. I'm also toying with picking up a Street Triple again as I miss mine dearly, but as good as the triple was it doesn't have that low down torque punch I'm looking for. The 8S I demo rode I dug well enough, but they don't exist used and I'm not trying to gently caress with a dealer. What else?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I actually had a guy wanting to trade me his Monster 1200 for the Zero but I'm a wuss and afraid of the spicy Italian tax. It's also heavier than I want too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TheBacon posted:

But you are okay with the British tax?!

My street triple didn’t give me a lick of trouble or require anything other than oil changes in the 7 years I owned it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Why did you get rid of the zero?

Battery warranty is up at the end of this year and I really don't want to own it outside of that. It's given me no trouble at all but the early gen3 bikes (SR/F and SR/S) do not have a great track record with their batteries, a lot of people have been getting warranty replacements. They're $5k IIRC if you need to buy a battery out of warranty.

Brilliant bike to ride and if I had a commute I'd keep it or get another, but I'm selling it on before depreciation hits it even harder than it has already. Probably the only bike that has cost me more than 5-10% of its value in depreciation during my ownership (it's closer to 40%, and I bought it used to begin with, woof.) I'll have another EV bike someday, ideally when they're cheaper and the range has gone up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Current other bikes: 919

???

The Honda is pushing 450lbs and while yes it's got decent power, it doesn't have the low down torque I crave. I do recognize there is some overlap here. Ideally looking for something under 400lbs hence the middleweight category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phy posted:

What about the XSR versions? You pay more but you get a motorcycle that looks like a motorcycle and not like something Shockwave picked out of his belly button

The XSR900 is basically a modern 3 cylinder version of my 919 so that's out, and the 700 is still over 400lbs. I was looking at those before I got the 919 though.

A MIRACLE posted:

Hypermotard?

I'd actually been considering these, how are the older ones for reliability? There's one on marketplace with pictures of $6k in dealer work for random poo poo which isn't really confidence inspiring. I don't think those receipts are the selling point the seller thinks they are.

Russian Bear posted:

Get the new hyper for all of us

Would love one, too new and spendy and unknown quantity/quality atm