Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

In the US: I'm looking for a used sport-tourer that would handle daily commuting well and also the occasional couple-day highway rides with a passenger. I'm leaning towards a Ninja 1000 as the other usual suspects (FJR, ST1300) seem boring or huge in comparison. "Adventure" bikes are way overcosted in my area so that's a non starter.

Basically hey are my assumptions right or is there a bike I haven't put in for consideration?

Tiger 1050. Sits up tall like a trailie but is on road only so idiots in aerostitch wont drive up the price. Great motor and not much to go wrong. Plus it's got a huge aftermarket so you can put whatever you want on it. I'm biased because it's been my main ride for the last 10 years but I've enjoyed every mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Revvik posted:

Since buying my Tiger 955i, I’ve kept an eye on a couple Tiger Facebook groups and if anything, I can tell you with some confidence to stay the hell away from modern Tigers.

My Daytona 955i was a huge POS but my Tiger 1050 has been super reliable. Maybe Triumph has a cyclical crap/good design and manufacturing process

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Revvik posted:

What were the Daytona’s problems? All I’ve had crop up so far is an intermittently failing fuel gauge at about 40k miles. drat did I want the 1050 though.

Constant, constant electrical problems. A well known problem with those motors are bad reg/recs. That and various relays going bad made me never trust the bike more than a couple miles from home. Those bikes also have plastic fuel barbs that connect the lines to the in tank pump which like to fail and spray high pressure fuel all over the engine and exhaust, which got me red flagged at a track day and also almost confligrated. Oh and the very, very expensive plastics became brittle, cracked and basically fell off the bike. This all happened in less than 6 years and 15k miles from new.

My tiger however hasn't really needed anything other than consumables and the occasional tightening of the oil pan bolts

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

This is all excellent advice, since I'm going to be both selling and buying a bike within the next year. Is there any advice for bargaining with dealers? I know there isn't much of any wiggle room during COVID times but what should I know?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

This kind of looks like a mobility scooter?

Lol I thought triumph had made a trike at first.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I’m finding I want something with more acceleration than Bob when out and about for fun. Overtaking isn’t instantaneous, ie I’m not catapulted from 50 to 80 in 4th which is kind of what I’m after.

Kawasaki H2 ought to do it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FBS posted:

Do you think this will hold true for the 1000GT as well?

I'm *this* close to ordering one sight unseen because it ticks all my sport touring boxes. How dumbfuck is this idea?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'll let you all know in 2027 when it finally arrives

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

But then everyone will see the pussy!

Is that the bussy I keep hearing about?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

After 3 years of hemming and hawing about getting a new bike, I made the most impractical and hilarious decision possible. I got this:

Nice

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah:

Now bring it to Thunderhill and let me ride it :hehe:

Hey so thats the plan for this spring/summer. Who do you like for trackday providers? I don't have a 1 piece yet so someone who rents those would be helpful.

I went to the dealer expecting them to shrug their shoulders and tell me "we'll call you when we get one" like the last 3 dealers did when I wanted a Tracer 9 GT and then a GSXS-1000GT to replace my Tiger. Turns out they had 3 in stock, a black ZX4R, my KRT edition and a 40th anniversary ZX4RR. So I put down 500 bucks and came back later with a check for the rest. Couldn't believe it, almost like the old days when dealers just had whatever you wanted.

Fun fact: It's got green wheels from the 40th anniversary bike they had in stock. Guy rolls in and doesn't want the 40th unless its got black wheels on it. Sales guy calls me up and asked if I wanted to switch and I was like hell yeah! poo poo would look awesome. So now i have a "custom" bike.

Also, owners manual says to keep in under 4k RPM until it hits 150 miles for the break in, then 6k for the next hundred. In 6th gear that equates to like 44 mph. Lol, LMAO

It's kinda slow and you gotta work hard to keep the revs where they need to be. I love it. I'm like fukkin Marquez doing 40 on a city street lololololol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

opengl posted:

Awesome. I hope you’re gonna tune it because they are neutered from the factory in a bad way.

its getting the ECU sent off the second its out of warranty.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thanks for all the information. I haven't ridden on the track in almost a decade so i'm rusty for sure and probably need the most newbie friendly experience possible. I'll get the gear somehow so it's not essential that the provider rent suits but if they do that would be a plus. I'm also new to the norcal/northern Nevada area so having a buddy to show me the ropes would be excellent. PM me (if you want to of course, no pressure) when you're thinking of going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I PM'd you as well, but posting itt in case anyone else in the area is interested in going to the track, but isn't sure how, doesn't want to go alone, etc.

I PM'd you back, twice, because I don't know how PM's work I guess.