Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ Homo spotted.

ninja edit: The Gladius hate is purely aesthetic. It's an SV 650, and the penalty for not liking SV 650's in AI is instant and irrevocable ostracism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Jabs posted:

I've seen it Acronymified as
Stupid
Quick
Underdressed/geared and
Imminently
Dead

My favorites are:

Super
Quick
Until
I
Die

SQUirrely KID

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

-Inu- posted:

c) literbikes are slower in corners than 600s but they're good street bikes aside from the daily temptation to do things that would get you sent to jail or at least thrown into bankruptcy

If you're a semi-professional racer, a literbike is slower through the corners. To the rest of us mere mortals, there is barely a difference.

Having owned a 600 supersport, I can strongly encourage anyone to NOT get one for the street. 2nd gear redlines around 90mph, and 3rd gear redlines at 120 mph. For a bike with power only in the top end, that creates a lot of felonious temptation for street riders.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Bramble posted:

Well in what way does your build determine if you can or not? I'm a pretty skinny guy, 190 lbs. If a rebel won't be comfortable for me, what kind of a beginner's cruiser would you guys recommend?

Suzuki Boulevard M/S/C 50 (cubic inches, actually 805cc). There are a buttload of good cruiser options for you, and they can be very cheap used.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Bramble posted:

I have no riding experience and plan to take the class in the spring and begin riding soon after. These recommendations seem to be for pretty big (power wise) bikes, but I'm not sure that's what I should be riding for my first bike. My idea was to get a used 'beginner' bike like the 250cc Rebel, ride it for a year or so, then move up to something more powerful and long-term.

It doesn't have to be a Honda, though I really like the looks of most of their bikes.

edit: And i should mention my price range for a used bike is ~$3000, or else I won't be riding by the spring!

The 800cc Suzuki cruisers are ~50hp and ~550lbs. The 750 Hondas are somewhat smaller but similar, power/weight-wise. It sounds big, but if you're 6'2" and have a hint of self control, you'll be fine. I started on a Suzuki cruiser and it was an excellent bike. The throttle response never surprised me, and it soaked up all my stupid beginner inputs like a champ.

Once you take the MSF, you'll understand why you don't want a Rebel. I don't see how anybody over 6'0" could safely ride one.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Gnomad posted:

in good conscience

Nope. Not even close. The salesman probably tripled his normal commission on that one.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Her old bike probably leaned over a lot quicker too.

The salesman is guilt-free on this one. The Dyna is a pretty typical second bike.

e: did not realize there was a new page.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Sounds like 75% of my experiences on craigslist. Good luck dude.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Going to check out this bike tomorrow. Anything I should look for or ask about?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4544276899.html

The Owner posted:

5 pm tomorrow works. I do not have any maintenance records. The previous owner had the clutch replaced and put a new chain and sprocket on it recently. I have not had the bike very long. It is too much for me so I bought a cruiser. The steering wheel locks. I do not have any accessories such as lock, cover, etc. It runs great. It is cold blooded and takes a bit to warm up. Fires right up, cold or hot. Title is clean and all electronics work.

I want to make sure you noticed the left side panel is faded.

Edit: I checked it out and if I buy it, I'll be taking it in for valves/carb adjustment/oil asap. It runs a bit rich (I can smell it) and the idle is just a tiny bit rough. Having current maintenance will give me peace of mind.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 6, 2014

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It will power wheelie in third gear. Do not buy a bandit 1250 for your first bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Lynza posted:

When I bought my bike new (which I shouldn't have done, but whatever), I was told that the dealership is basically charging the bare minimum they can while still making a profit on bikes. Yeah, it sounds like a line, but the guy didn't seem like he was trying to bullshit me. I think maybe with some makers (like HD, Ducati) there's a lot more room to make profit. But cheaper bikes (like my Ninjer 300) seem like they're scraping the bare minimum.

People get taken to the cleaners all the time. I remember in 2008 when the Ninja 250 got a redesign, some guy in my town rode off from the dealership with a $6,000 loan over his head. He was posting on craigslist a few weeks after when he realized what happened.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Radbot posted:

Don't forget that, if you absolutely must finance a bike, taking a loan from your IRA/401(k) can be a good low cost option.

Not if you ask BFC. Seriously, don't buy more vehicle than you can afford. If you really want to borrow money, just find whatever manufacturer is offering 0% this week and go with them.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Lol Tsaven Nava posted so much that he's still in the list.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Marv Hushman posted:

Budget 3K for another one of the above or a nice Shadow ACE/Aero/Spirit with craftsmanship and manners. They're boring, but unkillable. Leave the remaining 5-6k in the bank. You'll walk tall and have peace of mind on those long rides, where anything can happen.

Yesss listen to this man. Your future dependapotamus will thank you.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Marv Hushman posted:

When I see blue lights on a bike, I know it's a jackpot. In the archaic, ironic sense of the term. See: Cormac McCarthy, No Country For Old Men.

The Counselor by the same author might also fit. Twang.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

epalm posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a 2009 Suzuki C50 in mint condition with 5000km on the clock for $6250 CAD. Comes with obnoxiously loud cobra pipes, stereo speakers with an aux cable, glowy under-engine lighting system, and handlebar streamers.

The seller is a tow truck driver missing many teeth, as expected.

Yes, I would be taking off all that crap ASAP :v:

I had an M50 and the shaft drive was awesome. So was the fuel injection, power for the displacement, and overall reliability. See if the guy still has the original exhaust but even if not, it's a great bike.

I have a ninja 250 now and for city commuting it rules. 6' and no trouble on the highway.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yes, or at least they feel like it. They're also several times more expensive to insure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
NYC pavement is crap and I would personally rather have a klr to navigate the city if I lived there and had no plans to go on the highway. On the other hand, the SV would be way more fun on onramps. Overall winner: SV.