Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The first bike on there I'd go for is the Ninja 400 then the DRZ (either) and/or DR650. R7 and T700 are probably going to be the most sought-after so maybe go for those if available (and if interested).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm planning on doing a (go-kart) track day on a rented R3 soon so I'll at least get a feel for that bike.

Where are you renting from?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Everyone should ride an R3 or Ninja 400 at a track at least once IMO. Not necessarily an experience applicable to commuting on the super slab but certainly something to put power into perspective.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I tried to sell a bicycle on Facebook, and I was not impressed. I sold it on Craigslist instead. I tried pinkbike but maybe too late because someone from Craigslist bought it the next day.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I have Facebook blocked on my computers, and trying to sell my bicycle was the first time I had logged in in years. It's funny because as soon as I blocked it, within 30 minutes I got an email from Facebook saying "It looks like you're having trouble logging in!" I wonder how much of their "1 billion monthly-active users" is largely people who just have accounts whose online activity they can link back via trackers. I would just delete the account but sometimes you need. For example, with Turo you must log in via a Facebook account. At least that's how it was when I signed up. Not sure if they've moved away from that, given Facebook's reputation has gone down the drain in the last 4 years.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with financing a bike as long as you understand what you're getting yourself into and aren't buying something you otherwise can't afford. As a bonus you're buying something fun that helps rebuild your credit (in this case). Most people can't put 7-10k together to buy a bike. I honestly don't think I'd ever not finance a bike if I were buying new. I fully intend to finance my next bike.

That said! I'm not sure how much 150cc scooter experience is going to translate into a full-sized 650cc motorcycle, and dumping a new, expensive motorcycle will make you sad (ask me how I know). Do whatever you want, but maybe also consider saving up a little extra and buying a smaller, cheaper used bike first.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think they also own a GSA with a sidecar

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The current Street Triple reminds me of a praying mantis.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

If you want a dog, focus on getting a dog and being a good dog owner and forget about the motorcycle for a while.

If you want a motorcycle, do the opposite.

I got a dog and a motorcycle at almost the same time (not a midlife crisis!!). I love her to death but she definitely takes away from what would be riding time.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Do those fold up for splitting

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Also a little disappointed nobody posted this when we started talking about scooter possibilities.

Is there a learner L on that scooter?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The R7 has fairly aggressive ergos despite being otherwise not aggressive. Never ridden or sat on a CBR650R, but it looks more relaxed. Just on paper and reputation I’d lean towards the R7.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My Aprilia dealer is also the KTM, Vepsa, and Royal Enfield dealer. It is also 2 blocks away which is good news for my eventual ill-considered purchase.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

yeah I think being able to loft your rear is important because it lets you realize how much braking force you can actually apply, should you be doing it properly. You will also eventually ride a bike that is either powerful enough or has wheelie-friendly geometry and you don't want to have never experienced that before, esp if it's on a powerful bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

The S 1000 XR was supposed to be fun and good, right? I mean, I think hating money still applies.

Didn't someone have one of these? Pokes? Someone? Like it was custom painted a nice powder blue or am I mashing like seven things together?

Yas Marina Blue I think?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why are you interesting in owning such similar bikes? If I had 3 bikes, it would be sports, standard, dirt. That's not a diss or anything; I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I am being uncharitable to those bikes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The 390/401 engine is pretty widely regarded as a timebomb. It is also apparently disposable. The CB300R doesn't make very much power (for the class) and its engine is kind of characterless, but I think it's a good bike otherwise. Is there a reason you're set on a single over a twin? It seems like a fairly arbitrary requirement. It's not like a V-twin vs inline 4 or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CB300R looks better. :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I just don't get what people see in them, looks-wise - to me they've always looked like a half-finished SV custom. Maybe they look much better in the flesh, but the plastic bits just don't seem to belong on the same bike.

The Honda looks like a bike you can actually ride while the Vitpilen looks like a bike styled by someone who wants to be Jony Ive.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Even if you don’t mind the pitched-forward ergos, combined with its relatively flat seat and seemingly non existent tank, riding it seems like a chore. It’s definitely good looking, but a little bit of form over function.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This reminds me of something I was thinking about the other day. How exactly do you figure out which springs to put on your bike? Getting the weight of the bike and rider is easy enough, but don’t you also need to know the combined weight distribution? What about center of gravity? Would a bike with a higher COG need slightly stiffer springs than a comparable bike with lower COG? Or is that where the valving comes in? Do you exclude the unsprung weight? Or is that simply another factor since the spring has to go in both directions? That’s all setting aside how the type of bike, type of riding, pace, etc., which I imagine are additional factors.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

E: or alternatively, an i4 250 where you wind it up to 18,000, it sounds like the world's ending and you glance down to see you're doing 45kmh

I long for this.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can import 25yo JDM bikes. They're pretty expensive compared to what they go for in NZ, though. We just don't have the same market.

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-cbr250rr-mc22-available-for-import-11500
http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/yamaha-fzr250r-available-for-import-8300

If you're feeling spicy...

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/yamaha-tzr250-available-for-import-14800
http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/suzuki-rgv250-sp-lucky-strike-available-for-us-import

Or maybe you're just rich!

http://www.moto2imports.com/current-inventory/honda-rc30-available-at-auction-in-japan-on-tuesday-night-419

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think someone should do the needful and buy a 390. I have apparently been entered into a raffle for one, but I’ll have to spend another $170 to find out if I’ve won, so that’s my hat in the ring.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is a WR250F going to have a much more frequent service interval compared to a WR250R (measured in hours vs miles)? Does a TTR230 give you the more relaxed maintenance schedule (at the sacrifice of performance)? I vaguely plan on buying a dirt bike in the next year or two, but I probably don't want something that needs a new top end every 50 hours.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Everyone watch the video of the DR200 doing a rally again.

https://youtu.be/SwjVUwXYXl0

oh yeah I have no illusions about thrashing a 450R. I feel like a 200lbs 10hp bike is far preferable to even 250lbs/20hp, let alone like 45-55hp. But what if I want to put 17s on it and take it to a go-kart track :ohdear: I kind of want to get a DRZ, but the nearest off-road areas for me are like 60miles of freeway from me, which may make for a miserable ride home, which is why I'm leaning more towards actual dirt bike (even if low performance) and renting a van for a half day to go ride.

I think this is the same guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQ0b69_oV8

I've ridden a TTR125L before (although oval track, not trails), and watching that video made me think "yes this will be adequate."

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It amazes me how many “mods” people will do to bikes before having even ridden them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lungboy posted:

If that was aimed at me, the bike isn't new and the PO did all the mods.

Not you, the PO :)

In my non expert opinion, those levers are bad.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

R3 - This thing was hilarious. It was tons of fun but it is quite simply too tiny, almost toylike. Unlike the MT-03 my legs fit the tank cutouts pretty well, but my wrists were almost resting on top of my knees and I dragged my toes on the ground mid-turn trying to reach the shifter. If it were a track-only toy or if I lived *in* the twisties it would be big fun but as a vehicle to actually go places on it's a non-starter. Also I've been taking dual disks for granted, I had a brief moment of alarm when I grabbed a bunch of lever and it only sort of slowed down. This would be a fantastic bike if I were 5'7".

Yeah I'm 5'8" and even then I found the R3 to be cramped. It's like a 7/8th scale bike. Mine is too (CB300R), but the seating position is more upright so it hasn't ever mattered. With the R3 my knees and elbows crashed together which I didn't expect at all. I'd like to get more time on one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode an RS660 for 20 minutes and on that basis would strongly consider buying one. The Tuono 660 Factory is essentially the same with a better shock and handle bars, so yes. Maybe some reliability issues but I guess you can look into and decide for yourself.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you want to get out of the city and don't want to take the freeway (understandable), why not ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula and ride around there? You've only been riding for a few months IIRC. I wouldn't think about trading in for a bigger bike just yet. I have no opinion on those bikes otherwise, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

In the US, the L is a detuned, stree-legal version of the R, and still on sale! You can get plated Rs though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

For a track bike, should I buy an R3/Ninja 400, an "inexpensive" (~5k USD) but good condition 600, or an SV650/R7/something else entirely? I know I always suggest an R3/Ninja 400 when this question comes up, but I've done ~1000 miles on track on my CB300R, so I feel like I have followed my advice in that regard. A good rider (eg club racer or very fast track day rider) could probably knock 10% off my times, but I assume that is because they have the experience of going much faster on a less forgiving bike, so they have the skill and/or feel, plus bravery, to push it that extra amount, and without that experience myself, I'm going to start plateauing. I'm sure I'm giving up time at the entry, but that is probably the hardest place to make up time? I feel my apex speed is largely where it should be, and I can't really do much about the drive out. I'm not sure how much faster this bike can go without putting a lot of money and effort into it. No one races them, and the CBR version is always a BBK (plus everything else that goes with a race bike), so don't have a good yardstick to judge myself against.

Primarily, I want something with more power so I can avoid getting stuck behind slow(er) riders. With only 28hp, I can only pass in long, sweeping corners, or in heavy braking zones (assuming I can stay close enough on the straight). Anywhere else ends up too risky or aggressive for a track day, IMO. Of the 38 full laps I did at the last track day, only 5 of them were actually at my own pace. The rest was stuck behind someone somewhere, so kind of annoying. I tried to just focus on my technique when stuck behind, but it wasn't always possible given how some of the slower people were riding (the first session after lunch was dicey as gently caress, so I actually just left early). The spread between those 5 laps was 2 seconds (with my "first" lap being 2 seconds slower than my "last"), and 3 of the laps were within 0.4s of each other, so I feel like I was being fairly consistent while also improving.

I like the idea of being fast on a slow bike, and smaller bikes are cheaper to run, but I also want something with decent power and options for suspension and tires, so I can learn about bike setup as well, plus be forced to actually be good and smooth on the brakes and throttle, whereas my CB300R can just basically YOLO it everywhere. An R7 is my first choice, but it's going to be like double the price of a 600, with an R3 being the same or slightly more. I think I'm going to do one of those arrive-and-ride Ninja 400 things since I probably won't really get a chance to ride one otherwise.

Right now I'm thinking to keep the CB300R as my street bike and have whatever I buy as a dedicated track bike, but if I end up going to just one bike, then I'd probably think about something like a Street Triple or MT-09 instead. I'm probably not going to buy anything for a few months but I guess just want some feedback on options!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Sv650 or mt07, no contest

Anything other than an actual sport bike will require you to fix the suspension (yes this includes 'fancy' naked bikes like a triumph). You will learn a great deal doing this as opposed to just jumping on a bike with already good suspension that you don't know how to set up or even understand.

:discourse:

Yeah decent SV650s used to be reliably available for 3k, not sure about nowadays.

Generally speaking, what needs to be fixed with suspension, and specifically with the SV? I get for track you generally needs to increase the spring rate, and the SV would benefit from emulators. Emulators aren't easily adjustable, though, right? You have to take it out of the fork, or is that not really a big deal? I like the idea of external adjusters so when you have the bike in the right window you can make small changes and see/feel what they do.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Fuel economy is only meaningful on the freeway, where bikes won’t do so well because of poor aero. US cars get pretty poor gas mileage generally speaking, maybe 30mpg (7.8l/100km) for non hybrids and only ~50mpg (4.7l/100km) for hybrids. Even an R1 is going to get 30mpg.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I disagree, I've found a small bike will get excellent economy in every situation. At one point I was commuting across the city on a Hyosung 250 and even with predominantly urban lane splitting during rush hour I was getting about 4L/100km regardless of how fast or slow I rode.

With big bikes I've found the economy gets drastically worse as you go faster, my zrx was able to empty it's tank in about 130km if I was going full dong.

:shrug:

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to my bike's fuel economy (286cc), but what I've noticed from the few more long-distance freeway-dominated trips is at 100km/h I'll get 3.6-3.3l/km, while at 130km/h it drops down to 5.8l/km. At track I'll do around 160km, and I have to fill up at least twice, which would put it (very roughly) at 12l/100km.

This is kind of more what I was thinking though.

BabelFish posted:

Heck even then, 30+MPG from a CBR 1000 RR is roughly double what equivalent cars get.

In the context of what Americans think is good gas milage (the one true context, obviously), pretty much all bikes get good gas milage. My 150hp hatchback only gets like 18l/100km in the city, and at best 7l/100km on the freeway.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I don’t really care for the riding position of the scooters I’ve ridden. Not having a tank and pegs feels weird.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Honda selling you the bike you need, not the bike you want.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are you looking to ride just to commute and run errands or also as a hobby? Lots of a good riding very close to LA. I’m in SF and have a CB300R I’m looking to sell soon, FYI. No ABS, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Get an XR150L and woo the honeys in Garden Grove.