Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Adding to what Deuce said, you really don't want a pre-94 Ninja 500. They tend to barf their rotor magnets all over the place at some point. You can retrofit a newer rotor, but it's a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Crayvex posted:

I've been looking to upgrade from my 02-Yamaha R6. A co-worker is selling a 2001 Honda CBR929RR Fireblade with 14K miles for $4,400. What do you think?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/4443503785.html

It's common knowledge that the CBRs from that era are some of the best looking sportbikes ever, so naturally you should get it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah he's asking too much, unless your market is particularly bereft of sportbikes. I'd say 3.5k is closer to what it should go for, if not less.

edit: I guess they go for more than I expected, here's an ad from my CL: http://ocala.craigslist.org/mcy/4398253894.html
Still shouldn't be $4.4k though.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Which is probably one of the more understated advantages of the ex250. They're cheap as chips and there are a brazillion of them out there, so if/when you do stuff it, spares are cheap and easy to come by. Somewhat related to that, they're also really simple bikes to work on, so if you want to learn how to do your own maintenance, they're a good starting point for that as well.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It really really depends on how it was taken care of. A 15 year old bike is fine if that 15 years wasn't (1) spent in a shed or (2) owned by a maintenance-ignorant mouth breather. It comes down to doing a thorough check of the bike before you buy it, or, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, bringing a knowledgeable person along and have them inspect it. However, value drop-off on typical beginner bikes seems to be about 7-10 years old (at least in my area), so there wouldn't be much sense in going any older than that.

As for mileage, that Vulcan could easily go for 50k+ with normal maintenance (I found a few reports of ones with 80k+ on Google). It depends on the specific engine.

If you post ads for bikes you're interested in, people here can give you an idea of how sane the price is.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

All I really had to do was replace a bunch of seals (like all of them) and rebuild the carbs. Best bike I've ever owned.

This is kind of what I was referencing. Doing all that plus replacing tires, chain, battery, and possibly hoses to save a few hundred bucks isn't something I'd recommend for a first timer.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I've only ever really made a profit on one bike that I fixed up from an extremely neglected state. IMO it only makes sense if you're looking for a particular bike or if you can get it extremely cheap in the first place.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Awesome first bike, you're gonna love it :cheers:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm kind of baffled how well DRZs hold their value. I can't get a clean one around here for less than 3.5k, even if it's a zillion years old.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Another SV is probably going to be a popular recommendation. It's a solid platform for a trackbike, yet it's not going to scare you away from using the throttle like a supersport might. From what I've read on here and elsewhere, becoming proficient on an SV and then moving on (if you even end up wanting to) tends to be a better route for growth than starting on a 600 inline 4.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Cheap, reliable and interesting.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Beach Bum posted:

Tallahassee stuff

Bit late to the party, but it's cool to see another CA poster lives here. Let me know if you ever need some local help, I know those 500s like the back of my hand. Also Orion's is a good (read: the only) place in town to check out gear in person. I haven't been there in awhile, so I can't say for sure how well stocked they are, but it's probably still worth poking your head in.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
All of my bikes were successive iterations of Humpty Dumpty because I'm addicted to cheap garbage

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

People who name bikes post on reddit.

You're missing out If you're not regularly making people on /r/motorcycles mad

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

blindjoe posted:

I finally went and sat on that GS500f and liked the ergonomics, but that one had 40k km, a bunch of junky stuff like coolant gauge, and sounded like a bag of rocks when idling.
It made me think I don't have enough time to buy things off craigslist or fix up old junky things.

What new bikes/slightly used bikes I might buy at a dealer have similar ergos to a GS500? I know I could probably get a better deal on private sale, but I have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife at home and have no time to myself.

Look into Ninja 500s as well, they're essentially a watercooled GS500f that's shaped a bit differently.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It doesn't tick the low-seat-height box, but a DRZ sounds like it would be perfect otherwise.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Dutymode posted:

Has anyone here ridden the CBR300R? There's one near here for for $3,000, with ABS. I'm curious how the fit and highway comfort would be compared to a 2007 Ninja 250. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for a good deal on a CB500F, but this price seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about power, I've owned bigger bikes and the Ninja is adequate, I just want FI, ABS, and not something that's any worse on long highway rides.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

This site can give you an idea of how the seating position will be different. I think it's even goon-made, but I can't remember who exactly.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Wait, which is the other one?

This guy in the chat thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=730&perpage=40#post459315666

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You get this for free, but the jaunty man will always be riding pillion while making that face:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Solvent posted:

backpedally :words:

First and foremost, do your MSF. Having ridden a lovely bike as a teenager hardly counts as experience. A bunch of anecdotes about how you're totally not going to ride like a dingus doesn't mean you can't get in over your head on something that overwhelms you.
Second, if you want actual recommendations, post pictures of bikes you think look neat (or find some ads on your local craigslist) and you will get better targeted suggestions.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Going to see this guy tomorrow. Hoping for combination nothing-is-actually-wrong-with-the-bike and offering an insultingly low amount since he's moving.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Oof. Tell me this guy is in California. If you're not down for that I might be.

Florida :haw:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Solvent posted:

I don't know about the armored pants. I mean, wouldn't I have to wear that bulky poo poo around all day?
Cant I just sport some assless chaps and a handlebar mustache?

I was also looking at stuff for theft prevention. Like maybe a lockable helmet bag, and one of those Tile bluetooth locators I could glue into it too?
Am I being naive? I saw a whole lot of "just carry your helmet around with you, or drive your car".
What do you guys do.
I mean, if I shelled out 400$ for a Skully, I'd hate it if a 15 year old me spat in it as he was walking by, but I figure people would be as likely to steal the fairings as they would a locked helmet bag.

Anybody here have some rear end in a top hat load their bike up into a van like the scary scary internet tells me people do?

The best gear is the gear you'll wear. If you don't think you'd be comfortable walking around in riding pants and consciously acknowledge that you're less protected than you could be, then there's nothing else to say there. However, as people have mentioned, there are alternatives. You can get armored shorts and/or knee guards that you can wear under normal pants, but you lose out on any abrasion protection. There's also riding jeans (some with armor, some without) that get a little closer to providing full protection, but, simply because they're styled to look like normal pants, won't be quite as protective as a well-fitted pair of textile or leather (leather being better vis a vis protection).

Pants are probably the least worn piece of gear, which is strange, because there is never an accident that isn't going to involve your legs in some way. I had a lowside a couple years ago at ~25mph and slid on one of my legs, on the asphault, for about 20 feet. Because of my pants, I was able to stand up afterwards and walk over to my bike, rather than having to go to the hospital to get road grit fished out of my skin.

I always just carried my helmet around with me. You can also get lockable tail trunks big enough for a helmet, run a locking cable through it and the bikes frame, or simply use the little helmet lock points that a lot of bikes have. None of those guarantee that someone determined enough isn't going to snatch it though.

As far as theft protection goes, the best is full coverage insurance. No matter what you do, if your bike is outside, it can be stolen. Disk locks, steering locks, huge chains, tarps, alarms, etc. will deter a large amount of thieves, but not all of them. If someone wants your bike, they'll get it eventually. This totally depends on where it would be parked of course, I've never worried about my particular bikes because they were always ugly as poo poo and I parked in relatively safe places, but that's not to say that they were thief-proof.

Solvent posted:

Edit:
Any tips on what to buy in terms of that safety gear?
Like brands and styles?
I mean, like there's a lot of stuff out there, so places to start help a bunch.
Pretend I'm dumb, and pls jus pst.
Like, for the thread lurkers and all.

Thankfully, with how many quality brands there are, you've got a big range of style to choose from. Here are some stores to look at:
http://www.revzilla.com/ (probably a forum favorite, and -Inu- works here, so he can give a lot of specific information about what they stock)
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/
http://www.teizms.com/
https://www.aerostich.com/

And as I said above, the best gear is the gear you'll wear, but the recommendations you'll typically get here are:
Helmet: full face and either Snell or ECE certified
Jacket: armored and designed for riding (there's a lot of cosmetic riding jackets that don't have armor and aren't rated for abrasion resistance)
Gloves: gauntlet gloves that go past your wrist
Pants: refer to big effort paragraph above
Boots: go past your ankle and designed for riding (again, lots of cool looking cosmetic choices that unfortunately wouldn't do much in a crash)

It's worth finding a store nearby to try on some gear. Even if you end up buying online, it'll be easier once you know how certain brands/sizes fit, as there is a lot of variation in cuts and shapes. This goes triple for helmets, especially your first one.

Your best bet is to find some stuff on those sites that you like the look of and we can make more pointed suggestions.
:siren:And look at the closeout sections on each website:siren: you can get some amazing gear for super cheap just because it's last years stuff.
Hope this helps :downs:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 4, 2016

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Icon (do we like Icon, guys?)

They're all ECE certified now IIRC. They're probably overpriced compared to similar quality helmets from other brands but :shrug:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

primitive posted:

Also, is it correct that a SV650 of this vintage would be carbourated and not FI? Is this something I should care about much?

If you continue looking at SVs, that generation was fuel injected. The tubular frame generation was carbureted.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Don't bother with the CX, if the stator dies (which isn't uncommon) you have to drop the engine to fix it. I'd err on the side of passing for the 450/500, simply because you'll be using the bike to commute on, and the older they get, the higher the chance is that you'll be working on it more than riding it. This certainly isn't a universal rule, but I'd recommend going newer for you first bike so you can learn how to ride and not worry about 40 year old bits falling off. After a bit of experience with basic riding and wrenching, maintenance on older UJMs isn't a big deal, but it can be worrisome if you have to rely on the bike for transportation.

The nighthawk wouldn't be bad, but it's closer to the upper end of power and weight that is friendly for new riders. They may not be quite the aesthetic you're going for, but I'd seriously consider these:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5572845592.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5605522088.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5606170260.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5608641127.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5611650646.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

SquadronROE posted:

So it might be alright in town and for local commuting, but I wouldn't go far out of town on it.

I did trackdays and rode to Colorado from Florida on a 250. They may not be the best at any one particular thing, but they're the best introductory experience to motorcycling IMO.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, I misread. I agree then, and I didn't catch that it had a salvage title at first, which is an even better reason to pass it up.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nitrox posted:

A) Of course you can see what it looks like. Especially with a sea of gaudy plastic poo poo.

What bike is that?

First gen SV650s

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I4:

v-twin:

p-twin:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Thumpers are tiny tractors with a fun amount of torque if they're powerful enough. I actually rode an xl500 the other that was a hoot.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Can anyone identify the fairing on this SV?

The guy that owns it "doesn't know much about bikes" so that's always a good sign

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah thanks, I see it now, the lights were throwing me off. Can't decide if it looks clean enough that it's worth the 2.5 hour drive back to my hometown.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5801672653.html

He said he'd take $1950 for it but even at that point I'm kind of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Went and looked at that SV. Turns out it was a sketchy car dealership using the previous owners pictures to list it under 'by owner'. It was also a total shitpile and the dude wouldn't budge on the price :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
After the drive over I just wanted something to take home, but yeah I wasn't about to buy it for anymore than like a grand. The dude didn't know poo poo about bikes and was insistent that a poorly modified 15 year old SV was "easily worth two grand, it's frankly a steal" :rolleyes: