Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Can a manual transmission from a 1999 RS handle an engine from a 2002 WRX without exploding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

looks like water pump seal. $8 part, but takes a bit of work to replace.

A bit?

Doesn't it require removal of the timing belt?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lord Gaga posted:

On EJ motors typically you replace the water pump as the same time as the timing belt and if you buy a "timing belt kit" it usually includes a water pump. As you and many others have seen it was a really really bad idea not to. ST is service or Subaru tool. I haven't done this job myself but I'd suggest looking on NASIOC to see if you need a Subaru tool.

If you've never removed the crank pulley you will probably need the Subaru tool.

Some people replace the oil pump "while they are at it" but generally this isn't necessary.

The Crank pulley can be removed without the Special tool,you can just put a breaker bar on the socket and turn the engine over for just a moment

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

What is the reccomended brand of Regular replacement air filter? I see wix, Mann, fram etc on rock auto. Not interested in anything performance oriented, just good filtration.

Wix

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So here is something odd. I've been using http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/ to look up parts for my Subaru RS project. There are two listing for my car:

2500CC EMPI SOHC NA
2500CC EMPI SOHC NA

Most of the parts seem t be identical, but in the body area, it seems that there are two dates of note: The first is 97, December — '99, June and the second is '98, August — '00, June.

My vehicle is made in 04/99. What gives? Some kind of mid year model change?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
SOHC or DOHC for the 99 - 01? The engine in the 99 that I have has 2 camshaft pulleys, and the 98 has 4 pulleys. Or maybe they are both DOHC?

Edit - Engine code is EJ253AWLVB. Edit2 - According to Wikim It appears this engine was only used for one year, and then not used again until 2005? That seems really odd.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 18, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Holdbrooks posted:

Hey Jamal I sent you an email about making a RACE CAR.

It better be a 1995 Impreza with a Roll cage and 15 foot high exhaust.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here are some pictures of my wife and I at the Subaru Convention in New Orleans today. Also in photos, some guys named David Mirra and Sverre Isachsen who are Subaru drivers or something...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

Welp, my 2006 WRX is spraying coolant, but I can't figure out where. Problem started yesterday when I went to the store yesterday and smelled fantastic maple syrup. A little research into that smell today lead me to believe it might be a coolant enough, and sure enough when I opened my hood it looked like someone had slaughtered a Predator under my hood. Coolant tank was low but not empty, and I haven't noticed any stains on my driveway.

I can't seem to isolate the leak, so I filled the coolant reservoir and ran/revved the car for a bit and still couldn't see anything spraying, leaking, or dripping. It almost seems like its spraying from the radiator cap, as the splatters look like they're moving away from that but I really cant tell. It was parked then, and when I drove it back to work from the store it looked like it had freshly sprayed again, but not a lot so I'm really not sure.

I'd love to avoid taking it in to Subaru this weekend, not sure if its a bad idea to wait that long even.

Everything else seems fine, no overheating, AC is working, etc. Any ideas?

I was going to suggest the cap. Did you try just letting it idle for 20 minutes with the Hood up?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Iron Lung posted:

I didn't. A coworker and I ran up to the store to grab some root-beer float supplies (its 102 today!) and we just ran it for a few minutes before we headed back. I can leave it running on idle when I get home for awhile, should I just be looking for bubbling/spraying from the cap if that ends up being the culprit? Do I just need a replacement cap if that ends up being the issue?

Hopefully it's that easy, plus it gives me an excuse to clean my engine bay!

Yes, look for spraying from the cap. The cap can sometimes look like it's on, but not be seated correctly. Hopefully, this is your issue. If it is fully seated, and starts spraying water, I'd start with a New cap,as they are fairly cheap.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Safety Dance posted:

Is there any chance this convention will be going on the 26th / 27th? I'll be in New Orleans that weekend.

No it ends Wed morning. We get the drive the new BRZ at NOLA racetrack, and we also get to ride around the track with a professional driver.

Should be interesting.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MrZig posted:

I'm officially picking up a 2002 WRX motor on Saturday to replace the dying 2.5RS in my wagon.

For $650 I'm getting: Engine, ECU, Wiring harness and all sensors, turbo, all accessories like alternator, power steering, etc, boost solenoid, fuel pump controller, cross-member, and exhaust to the cat. 260,000 KM's but he says it runs great and has maintenance history on it.

I'm stoked! Seems like an absolutely wicked deal, and I have a ton of friends to help with the swap. BOOST!

Yea, that's almost a "too good to be true" type deal. I'd be suspicious. Just a longblock of a working WRZ motor is at least $2000 to $2500.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does this engine drop into a 2004 WRX easily?

http://www.ccrengines.com/id26.html

Would I need a new wiring harness and/or ECU?
(Is this overpriced?)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

It took them some time. The 4th gen legacy is actually lighter than the 3rd gen. My legacy sedan according to cars101 weights in at 3450ish. It's a boat. It's also slow as hell with a 2.5L NA and a 4eat auto stuck in 3rd gear.

would you like to buy an automatic transmission from a 98 RS?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Spun Rod bearing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Occasionally my son will post pictures from work. Here is one of a new car getting it's first oil change.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Stopped in on NASIOC today (heh), is there a legitimate reason to swap out differential(or any other) fluids and what not from the factory spec to FancyCompany StuffTM?

edit: 2012 Impreza

No.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

thealphabetsez posted:

... exceptionally insightful.

There most certainly is an advantage, that is, with a standard transmission. In my recently sold '11 STi, I changed transmission and differential fluids to Motul counterparts. Shifting improved dramatically, a beyond belief sort of transformation.

What additional details can you share regarding the specs of your new Impreza?

It's not an STI, it's a vanilla Impreza. Follow your manual, do the maintenance at the dealer, and don't waste your money on snake oil.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

edit: 2012 Impreza

Side note: We have been driving one of these as a Demo vehicle for the last 2 weeks. I really like how smooth the 6 speed automatic is. I also found myself downshifting with the paddle shift on off-ramps and was pleasantly surprised to find the computer is smart enough to know when to go back to automatic mode.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kolta posted:

It's in an awkward place and really looks like it's coming from the head, but you could be right it might be leaking from the valve cover but I'm not convinced. I would need to poke around some more remove the exhaust and oil filter cause it's directly in the crevice next to the filter.

Never mind. Does a 2006 head gasket leak internally or externally?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Nafix posted:

Welp. After 8 hours at the dealership and test-driving the forester and impreza.... she owns a silver 2012 Impreza Sport.

Not only is it an AWESOME machine to drive, it's really slick looking.... and she can still make all kinds of fun of my MPG (still). Sigh.

Thanks for all your input AI goons! Maybe I'll get a Subaru after lawl school/loans/when I hit over 400k in the Crown Vic....

Wait till it snows.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Safety Dance posted:

I have a new Outback, and I don't drive a lot (having a 3 mile commute and commuting most days on a motorcycle will do that). I'm getting close to my 7.5 month service interval, but I'm only at 5,100 miles. I guess I should do what the manual says and take it in at the end of the month?

Unless you are taking your car to the track on weekends/driving it like a rally car/beating the crap out of it, simply follow the manual and don't think twice about it.

It makes very little sense to spend $20,000 on a car and then skimp out on the regular maintenance.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

Crossposting from my project thread because it'll get more attention here not surrounded by cat pictures:

2002 Legacy GT Limited throwing these codes

P0447 - Evaptorative Emission Control system
P1446
P1400

Already replaced the filler neck and the filler neck flappy valve.

The charcoal box has three rubber hoses going in and they look okay.

What's next?

Typing in those three codes and Subaru bring up "stuck EGR". When is the interwebs wrong?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sockington posted:

If any of you wankers are removing an exhaust from a WRX or STi from 2002-2007, PM me.

I'd like one at a goon deal versus picking through the weeds of the NASIOC forums. One of you must be upgrading sometime soon.

Just get something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-EXHAUST...079f4f3&vxp=mtr

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's metal bent into a cylinder. What's the issue?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think that is just a rocker panel cover, so it's probably a new cover and two new doors.

$1500?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Four Banger posted:

Hey guys,
The back of my forester recently had a meeting with a painter ladder while they were unloading their truck, and this happened.

Everywhere I can find this online is saying the part is discontinued. Anyone have any idea where I can find the rear dust deflector for a 1st gen (1999) Forester?

Got to car-part.com

Put in your vehicle and select Rear Spoiler. Then call the closet junkard listed. Looks like it's about 60 bucks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Four Banger posted:

.... I love you.

But i'm not sure where you're seeing 60 bucks, I'm only seeing one with a price, and it's $125, but I am in Canada.

I searched in New England and saw 60 bucks. You're welcome!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

Oil and filter is the only thing you need to do at 7500 really, so do that and skip the dealer.

If you do the math, it's probably cheaper to do it at the dealer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My 99 RS project car keeps blowing the 10 AMP fuse for the parking lights. Any ideas?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Put in a bigger fuse until it stops blowing.

Don't do this. Even if it did work for my 99 Contour.

I tried a 15 already.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably a short in the headlight harness. Assuming you have a poo poo ton of fuses on hand, try removing one of the parking light bulbs and see if it stops blowing fuses to figure out where in the harness it might be.

I think it's routed under the grille behind the bumper so I'd guess it might have gotten damaged when you were dropping or reinstalling the bumper cover. That's assuming they ever worked, considering the apparent intelligence of your car's previous owner.

Paid :10bux: for a shitload of fuses. Wish me luck

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably a short in the headlight harness. Assuming you have a poo poo ton of fuses on hand, try removing one of the parking light bulbs and see if it stops blowing fuses to figure out where in the harness it might be.

I think it's routed under the grille behind the bumper so I'd guess it might have gotten damaged when you were dropping or reinstalling the bumper cover. That's assuming they ever worked, considering the apparent intelligence of your car's previous owner.

Turns out is was the current owner.

I had taped off the license plate wires for painting, and the leads were taped together. Your tip figured it out for me though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The 3" exhaust fart Muffler can on my Impreza is way too loud. I have a Mig welder and like to build my own things. Has anyone here ever made (or heard of) someone making a catback exhaust on their own? I would have to use pipe bends from Autozone.

Edit: Will a 2004 WRX catback fit on it? I have one of those laying around here.

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 20, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Would this work in a 2004 WRX? Good idea or bad idea?

http://worcester.craigslist.org/ptd/3196088517.html

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm going to tackle the brakes on my 99 RS next. I'm pretty sure that there is at least one stuck caliper. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of? I'm thinking that I can just swap the calipers from the 98 in for the bad ones on the 99.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattmofob posted:

Both of my inner front cv boots are spraying a small amount of grease, the bands appear to be tight and I don't see any rips, can I just replace the bands or do I need to add more grease? I have 79k miles on the car should I just replace the axles?
I also feel a pop when I pull out of my driveway turning either direction at low speed, is that related to the cv joints?

A pop? It's usually a "click click click." Get a friend to listen while you drive around in circles in a parking lot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In a shocking development, I have discovered that the suspension is bent on my RS project car. It looks like both lateral links on the driver's side and the trailing arm.

1) Is it worth it to buy something aftermarket, or should I just grab the links from the 98 parts car?

1a) Will these come of easily, or will I have to burn off the bushings? (which makes it not worth using the parts car?)

2) The Trailing arm just has a slight bump on the bottom. Does it look ok to keep on there?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

c355n4 posted:

The aftermarket links and arms are pretty expensive. Or at least the ones I'd trust like from whiteline. They will give you more control over the camber and toe if you care. Stock, they use a eccentric bolt in the rear subframe to control the toe.

I don't recall having to burn out bushings when I changed out my rear lateral links. I wonder if I still have the old ones... probably chucked em out already.

http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?cPath=1_9_10_1496_1502_1519

I can't comment on #2.

*Edit - The whiteline rear lateral links are nice though... About $500 though.

Wait, gently caress. There is one goddamn bastard 12" bolt back there.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t60033-lateral-link-bolt-stuck-hell.html

I got lucky and mine was able to be airgunned off. But yes, potentially those bushings and the bolt itself may have to be uh mangled out.

:smithicide:

I ended up burning it out. Any recommendations for bushings?

How horrible is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Lower-Lateral-Link-4-PCS-1995-2007-Subaru-Impreza-Pillowball-RED-/230844548832?fits=Make:Subaru|Model:Impreza&hash=item35bf6846e0&item=230844548832&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

daslog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does Jamal sell Bushings?