Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Own flannel and hiking boots? Check.
Golden Retriever? Check.
Organic food store membership? Check.
Subscription to Backpacker? Check.

Hopefully all of the above makes me qualified to own this:

2004 Forester XT 5 speed. No mods or anything fancy. Great thing about it is that it hauls rear end, insurance is dirt cheap, and not having every idiot with a fart can trying to race me at stop lights.

But you assholes with snow are making me jealous. I might have to take a road trip this winter just to try it out in the snow. Florida isn't exactly Subaru heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

My Forester ('04 XT) decided this weekend that it wanted to fire up the check engine light on me. I got out my OBDII reader and it threw a code "1097", which according to the internet means:

code:
Tumble generator valve circuit #2 (over current)
It has happened in the past and the last time it happened (about 6 months ago). I cleared the code and all seemed good. Everything I can find says that this is mostly for emissions. Hell the first link on Google is instructions on how to remove the TGV. Am I doing something totally wrong by just clearing the code and going on my merry way or should I actually try to do something about it?

Also, gently caress you check engine light for disabling the cruise control when on! :argh:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Argon posted:

Anyone have strange noises on the freeway? I have a 2007 WRX which was making a strange harmonic hum or honk type of sound while I was driving cross country.

A few months ago I was driving from Utah to Seattle with a friend and driving though Idaho we starting hearing this weird, LOUD sound occasionally. We were driving into a very stiff headwind, at about 85 or so.

To give you an idea of the wind speed, check out this construction sign. This sign was mounted on a spring that, if there was no wind, would hold it straight up. As you can see, its got a bit of a lean to it from the wind.

Click here for the full 1125x844 image.

I finally got off my lazy rear end and uploaded the vid I took to youtube, check it out and tell me that my car isnt going to fall apart because I'm driving at its harmonic frequency when I hit a strong wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPGbJQAVJU

My Forester XT does the same thing. 80+ MPH and a stiff headwind like you described will cause it to make one hell of a noise. I figure it has something to do with the hood scoop, but not too sure. No parts have flown off.

Whats worse is that my mileage drops below 20 MPG in the above scenario. :(

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Qapf posted:

Thanks for the advice in this thread guys, A week ago I went ahead and purchased my 2008 Impreza WRX. I would post pictures but shortly thereafter some dickhead decided my front bumper needed a nice sized scrape, so less than 300 miles into a new car I get to go to the body shop.

Anyone know if they can sand down and just repaint these plastic panels from scrapes, or they just going to tell me to buy another? This poo poo isn't cheap.

Man that sucks :(

If it is anything like the plastic panels on my Forester, they are supposed to be replaced if they need to be painted. My paint on my bumper got messed up in a minor wreck and they had to replace the bumper. I asked my wife about it (she's an insurance adjuster) and she said that Subaru repair specs on the front and rear bumper covers state that they aren't supposed to be sanded and repainted. I know my bumpers are textured and apparently it's not part of the paint but part of the bumper, so sanding would gently caress it up. The body shop guy said the same thing.

I haven't looked that close at a WRX bumper so it might be different. But if it is textured, it probably can't be sanded.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

BannedForLulz posted:

Hey guys, im going to be driving to Florida from Chicago this Saturday. Im running a Cobb AP 93 Octane map and wanted to know if 93 Octane is actually available down where im headed (I should be taking I-75 all the way down and I'll be right outside Port Charlotte.) If there indeed is no 93 Octane down there, can I revert to a 91 Octane map now and run 93 on the 91 map until I fill up with the 91?

I'm in Floirda, and I've never seen 91 octane here, but there's 93 all over the place.

You'll be fine.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I'm jealous of you all and your snow.

It was 76°F here today. I don't deserve to own a Subaru :(

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Oh dear, Is it bad that I now feel the urge to find a frozen lake? Made worse by the fact I live in Florida...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

As a fellow Floridian I know how you feel. We need to form a support group for Subaru owners that live in Florida :(.

Also, sweet bugeye!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Just a post to whore out my FXT. I've got a post in the A.I Marketplace thread, but for those that don't check that thread often and are looking for a great VF39 FXT... there's one at the end of that thread (and on eBay).

I was reading your eBay posting and saw this note:

quote:

The only issue that I know of with the car right now is a neutral switch that screws into the side of the transmission. If you are on the road and using Cruise Control for a while (usually over an hour), the neutral switch will send a false neutral signal and disengage cruise. I always forget about this until I'm on the road, but the sensor is less than $30 from a dealer and is very easy to replace. I just never got around to doing it.

My '04 FXT does the same poo poo. Apparently it's common on the 04 manuals. I figured out that if you push right on the shifter for a few seconds in 5th gear and set the cruise, it will stay on just fine.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I just want to take a second to cuss that stupid plastic door on my Forester that hides the oil drain plug and oil filter. I spent more time dicking around with that than actually changing the oil.

:argh:

That is all.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I was the victim of a Subaru hate crime :smith:

I got it cleaned off and don't see any paint damage, thank god. Based on where the egg hit, I'm guessing they were aiming for the hood scoop. I don't think any of my neighbors got egged, but who knows, none of them are around to ask.

I hope the fine example of humanity that did this breaks his knees.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 31, 2009

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

Dude really, get that egg off NOW. It fucks up paint royally in my experience.

I got it off immediately after I took the picture. I took pics just in case the paint was damaged and I had to file an insurance claim.

Fortunately, no paint damage was caused by the egg.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I'm planning on doing the Jazzy aux-in mod in my Forester, and debating whether or not to get the ground loop interrupt and just put it in whenever I do the mod. I really don't want to listen to squesl, but I'm also cheap.

Anyone else done this mod and regret not getting the GLI?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Quick question:

My '04 FXT's hood insulation is shot and I removed it. Should I worry about replacing it or is it pretty much just there to keep noise down? With the hood scoop it only takes up half the hood and actually seems kind of useless.

Edit: can the thread tag get changed to this?:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I'm looking for some decent seat covers for my '04 Forester that aren't going to gently caress with the side airbags in the unlikely event that I actually need them.

Preferably something that is moisture resistant like neoprene or something. Trying to keep the actual seat from being destroyed after being outside and sweaty all drat day.

Any recommendations?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wet Okole makes awesome seat covers with velcro break aways for side air bags. They're a bit pricey, but worth it imo. I had a set in my old 4runner and plan to get sets for both my STI and my 00 Forester.

Those look pretty sweet.

Thanks!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

:siren: SUBARU PROBLEM :siren:

Car: 2004 Forester XT, no mods, ~75,000 miles.

This is going to be hard as hell to describe, but here goes.

Today my car started making a horrid noise that sounds like something is either rubbing metal on metal or like a bad bearing whenever it's running. I haven't traced it down to the exact spot (need to look closer when I get a chance) but it's definitely coming from the front of the engine.

What I'm thinking it might be is either a bad pulley, a bearing in one of the pulleys (assuming they have bearings), or a tensioner that is failing. Is there a good place to start, like a common problem?

I figure I'd remove one of the belts, crank it up and see if the problem is there, and then do the same with the other belt.

I'm just hoping it's not the tensioner on the timing belt :(.

Any direction or advice would be great!

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

bull3964 posted:

My vote would go for the AC Idler Pulley. They go around that mileage.

Undo the tension on that belt so you can spin the pulley. If it sounds like a roller skate wheel and spins freely, it's shot. It should be silent and actually be a little resistant to spin freely on its own. I think they're like $15 and take all of 10 minutes to replace.

I pulled off the power steering/alternator belt, fired it up and it was still there. Pulled off the a/c belt and it purred like a kitten. Slapped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the a/c pulley and put the belt back on and it sounded much better. I figure if the sound comes back in a day or two it is a bad pulley, otherwise it was a loose belt.

I spun it and it did sound like a roller-skate wheel, so you're probably right and I'll replace it this weekend.

I'm just happy it's a cheap fix and my car won't sound like a family of woodpeckers live under the hood :)

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Don't delay replacing it. There have been reported cases of the bearing failing altogether, causing the belt to jump and eat into the plastic timing belt cover.

I replaced today. Pretty drat simple thank god.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Braking vibration question:

I have a 2004 Forester XT with ~77000 miles on it.

I have a really bad vibration whenever I am braking. It's very prominent in the front steering wheel, and seems to be worse the faster I am going when I apply the brakes.

I've done the following to try and resolve:
- Pulled the front rotors off and had them turned.
- Replaced the front brake pads
- bled the brake lines (all four) and put in fresh brake fluid.

So after doing that it still shakes like crazy. It doesn't seem to pull either way when I hit the brakes. All of the wheel lugs are tightened to the specified torque.

What would be the next step in this? Should I try and get the rear rotors turned and pads replaced? Am I even going down the right path?

Thanks.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

shane86 posted:

Are the wheel bearings in good shape? how about the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings?

Basically anything that has some slop could appear under breaking consdierably more dramatically than under standard driving and acceleration.

The only other thing i could suggest would be to completely replace the front rotors. Rears won't have an impact on shaking.

I'll have to check the bearings, ball joints, etc and their condition.

Should I notice a problem when not braking if it is any of those? I have no odd noises that sound like a weak bearing under acceleration and cruising speed. It rides smooth as a kitten unless I'm braking.

I'll check those out. Do bearing changes on a Forester require a hydraulic press?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Are the wheel bearings hard to swap out or even possible without a hydraulic press or am I going to have to drop some dime on that?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Tire replacement question.

I'm needing to replace the tires on my '04 Forester XT with the stock 16" wheels. I live in Florida so snow handling is not a concern. I don't do autocross or anything other than daily driving with it.

From my stupid research via Tire Rack and other sources, I pretty much find that the following conditions exist:

- Cheap
- Quiet
- Last a decent amount of time
Now pick two.

Anyway, what is the popular tire these days that is a fair balance of the three? I'd like to stay under $600 out the door if humanly possible.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I've got a set of Yokohama YK520's and they are nice and progressive about how they lose grip, rated for 60k miles and under $600 installed.

I found these:

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/yk580

Discount Tire has them for $121 each which seems reasonable. I found somewhere on a message board that this tire replaced the YK520 but can't confirm that beyond a message board posting. the 580 is supposed to last longer from what I found.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Real oddball question for you all.

My Forester ('04 XT) has a leak somewhere towards the back that, whenever it rains a lot, fills the spare tire well with water. Short of tearing it all apart, I can't find where the water may be coming in from. the seals on the liftgate appear fine, and none of the carpeting or headliner is showing any evidence of water damage or dampness during a rain.

This is happening while the vehicle is parked. Are there common points on these things where water will get in? Right now I'm just leaving the drain plug out until I can find the leak.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

Would you not obtain this same benefit by using non-dealer financing? i.e. a check from [YOUR LOCAL BANK] or [YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION]? From what I understand cash/check/cashier's check are all the same to a dealership.
I think the benefit to the buyer with straight cash is that if you have ANY financing the dealer is going to try and run you through the ringer knowing that you can probably finance a lot more than what you'd have with cash in hand.

If that makes any sense.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Any of you all familiar with paint issues?

Basically the paint on the end of my FXT's roof rails (all four) is shot.

I was thinking of popping them off and getting a can of touch-up paint and rattle-canning them, but not really sure on how easy they are to get off and on, and if you can even repaint those plastic parts.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I figure it can't end up any worse.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 12, 2012

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

As far as DIY goes, how hard is it to change out the timing belt on an '04 FXT? I just hit the 105K mark and I'm broke as poo poo right now. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have done things to the car like swap out the CV axles, replaced radiator, etc. I understand the consequences of loving this particular repair up but really don't have a grand laying around to drop on replacing the drat thing.

I tried to find resources on it already but so far what I can find relates to the NA forester. If it's the same or really close to a WRX/STI timing belt I guess I can follow one of those walkthroughs.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Just use a wrx/sti guide.

Thanks! I'll go down that route. I know it's the same engine as the 04' STI with the TD04 turbo.

drat this looks like a pain in the nuts

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

jamal posted:

With the radiator and fans out you have quite a bit of room. You can do the belt by just by pulling the fan but you'll want to change the waterpump (use OEM!) so it's got to get drained anyway. Here's my process for the belt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PunROR3VU
(I'll admit it takes a little longer in-car because the exhaust gears are a little harder to line up)

Thanks! Was the OEM comment meant for the water pump or the whole thing? I was looking at the Gates kit on Amazon for the timing belt and getting an OEM water pump if I'm reading your post right.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

daslog posted:

So whats' the verdict on Gates water pumps? Are they still good or has the quality dropped to Lower grade Chinese garbage?

From what I gathered when researching this, the Gates timing belt kits have a version that does include the water pump and one that does not, and the Gates pump that comes in the kit isn't the same one that is sold outside of the kit. I could be completely wrong on this. I'm about to do the timing belt on my FXT and am rolling the dice with the Gates pump I bought separate of the kit.

I don't drive very far though. Hell I put gas in it for the first time in 6 weeks today.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Question for Forester crew:

Do you all keep that stupid plastic guard that's underneath the engine? I took it off to diagnose an issue and I'm debating on whether or not to put it back. I live in Florida so salt is a non-issue.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Scrambles posted:

That panel has been beat to gently caress in my legacy and I've gone at it with tin snips a few times just to get rid of broken pieces hanging down. The back half is currently missing. My car's not even that low!

mine's missing all of the access doors.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Somewhat vague question, but what the hell, can't hurt to ask.

My Forester ('04 XT) decided to spring an oil leak right above the exhaust somewhere but I can't see where it is coming from. It's a pretty slow leak and smoke will pour from the engine bay when I start it up until it burns off.

Below pic is where I'm finding a bit of oil residue. It's on the passenger side of the engine. I'm a bit reluctant to take off that shielding to look due to the rust on those bolts likely either not being reusable or not coming out in one piece. The arrows are where I'll typically see some oil

Is there anything there that commonly leaks? Like I said, real vague.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 12, 2015

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Thanks, I'll check both of those!

Just to add to my woes, just went outside and a tire decided to give up the ghost and the sidewall blew out.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I'm about to replace the valve cover gaskets on my '04 FXT cause the passenger side started leaking like a sieve and the driver's side is seeping a bit but not leaving a stain on the driveway like the passenger side is.

Any idea if this gasket is any good: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q0S9JI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2P11A2KVSUOD5&coliid=IB7XZG6LBZFTT ? Unfortunately I don't have a lot of cash so if I can save a few bucks it'd be ideal. Also, I've found mixed answers on replacing the "half moons" that are part of the valve covers. Should I assume that they're shot and need to be replaced?

I'm doing the timing belt at the same time (I'm at 108K miles) so I fully plan on my car being useless for several days since I'm doing this by myself after I get the kids to bed at night.

Should be A Good Time.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I'll add that to my list of poo poo to get from Harbor Freight

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Dumb question

I need to pull off my valve cover, and there is a line (oil?) that has a weird clamp on. How the hell do I get it off? And if I do, any reason I can't replace it with something a little less of a pain in the dick to work with?

Pic for reference

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Need help with a REAL big gently caress up.

While changing the timing belt, the clamp I had holding the cams on the drivers side popped off and the cams turned.

what the gently caress do I do?

Edit: I turned the top one counter clockwise and the bottom clockwise and got them lined up again. There was significant tension or whatever on both. Was that the right thing to do?

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 2, 2015

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Thanks guys. I feel a hell of a lot better than I did.

Pretty sure I taught my kids a few new words in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Also I'm using a Gates belt. Are the lines on the belt worth a drat? I got the passenger side on there dead to rights.