Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I need a clutch kit for my 99 Forester with a EJ20 SOHC in it, what is a good setup? The throwout bearing is definitely bad already, and the clutch chatters when cold. Also, what is a good pad & rotor combo? Centric rotors and HPS pads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I forgot to post a pic but I took that outside the tire shop when I got my tires put on the RPF1s (and got them to put them on the car at the same time)

I really like them, just need some low.

I have some Prodrive springs for sale if you want...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

So I finally had a chance to take a good look at the noise coming from the AC compressor area, and wound up just cutting the belt off. The idler pulley is fine, the pulley on the compressor has about 1/4" of play and was wearing away the sides of the belt. Also, it looks like two bushings are gone from the plate on the front of the pulley, it moves around with my hand. See -

Can I fix this? Up until I cut the belt off the AC still blew cold air, so I'd really just like to replace the front bits on the compressor if possible. It's an '02 impreza.

I replaced the compressor pulley on mine, from a junkyard unit.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I'll take it if Frankenstein doesn't. I have an 02 WRX ECU that I'm putting on my SOHC EJ20 Forester to raise the rev limit to something above 'tractor.'

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

My 99 Outback Sport had a cable clutch, so it might not have one?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I have a few parts I accrued for a WRX swap on my 99 Forester S that never happened Are they worth anything?

1 set of Prodrive springs for bugeye
1 catless up-pipe with OEM-style EGT port, from another bugeye.
Federal spec 02 WRX ECU and a lot of the ECU harness
Tactrix Cable with jumper for WRX.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

What do you do about AC when you pull a motor? Is it just a matter of needing the expensive AC equipment to store the freon and then pull vacuum/refill?

You just unbolt the compressor fron the bracketry and set it aside, mine went where the battery is on my 99 Forester. Its similar to how I have done it any other way with any car... :confused:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Blinking CELs ususally mean an active knock (ping), which isn't good at all, but depending on how the car is being driven, it may not be a 'call tow truck' scenario. It can show up in the midst of tuning when working on the spark tables or at the peak boost areas, but unless in the most bizarre edge cases, it shouldn't show up on the street.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I need to do the timing belt/water pump on my 99 Forester with a JDM-yo SOHC EJ20. What timing kit would it be? I assume the 2.5 SOHC one. I also need to change the driver side cam seal, is there a preferred brand (I'd just get National or TImken probably otherwise). I heard that the Gates kit has junky parts and I can't remember if it is the tensioner or water pump? Both?

Also I have an 02 WRX Federal ECU with some harness and a Tactrix USB cable for sale if someone wants a tunable ECU for their older Subaru, anyone want it cheap? I also have a catless up-pipe, and a set of Prodrive springs off the same year WRX. They are too low for the Forester, I found out.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 15, 2016

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Anyone interested in a collection of the first 19 Subaru Service Bulletin books? I bought them when I had my 78 GL Wagon and forgot I still have them. Otherwise I'm going to send them to kastein's to torture him with 20 years of Subaru's bad engineering choices.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Tell me about the Justy! The guy I bought my 78 Subaru from wants to give me his parents 89 Justy. Its 4WD, 2 door, manual, and needs a ring job. I already have a 323 GTX and a Daihatsu Rocky for offroad shenanigans on the property, should I take it? I didn't buy the parts from the EFI'd 91 I saw at the Sparks PickNPull, I really should have at least bought the intake manifold.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Take it, save it.

I'm worried that the 'ring job' might actually be the timing cover/oil pump problem (timing cover bushing wears out, oil pump shaft gets hogged out, loss of all oil pressure) but I am sure you can figure something out.

I noticed that you were already posting on the Justy forums.

Could be, I know the 1.2L is pretty crappy for a Subaru engine. He did mention that particular flaw in the oil system. I think the paint is a bit thin and the seats worn, but he's taken care of it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

You can jam them in there without removing the manifold.

I think you and I know well how important this is, unless you're doing TGV deletes or E85 rated fuel hose at the same time.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 14, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

If I spend a lot of time at high RPM (pulling from 4500RPM to fuel cut a few times, once I floor it again , it tends to stumble. The CEL isn't triggered*, and it seems to do WOT at redline just fine sometimes. I'm checking fuel pressure (the filter is probably OE and from the last century). I just did the timing belt, water pump, and whole ignition system. My ex-wife did mention some misfiring, but I was beating it like I was at a track day, so I hope she wasn't doing 85mph third gear pulls in a 210K mile old 99 Forester.

*kastein this is for you

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Structural tape, I see!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I need the harness side.

I bet any junkyard EJ car uses the same connector.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Any good cheap tire recommendations for the first gen Forester? Its the S alloys, and all I do is drive around on the highway or on my dirt driveway. Some camping, but mostly highway in a place that barely rains and never snows. I have chains for snow trips.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

15" or 16"? In the 205/70/15 tire rack has the pirelli scorpions for $54 a tire.

16"

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

The nice thing is I'm getting paid a little and all the bolts came out easily. But the trans stuck to the block and took a lot of hammering and prying. Have never had one that hard to get apart before.

Loosen all the bolts about 10mm and stomp the clutch!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats the oddest Subaru I've ever seen.

Well the new one is a Subaru, so there's that?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

This is why everyone needs an AccuSump.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bajaha posted:

So this is the latest craze that's been going through the Baja community. The new crosstrek wheels look pretty drat good on the Baja. I think I'll be picking up a set in the future

Any other suggestions for playing Subaru wheel Lego? The forester XT wheels are similar to these too.

Someone should see if they could find a set of appliance white Jackman wheels that could fit. I've seen a first gen Legacy with them, and it looked interesting, similarly how this does.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

jamal posted:

Actually the current gaskets you get for an n/a 2.5, 11044AA633, are an MLS design. Not sure when that one came out but it's been around longer than I thought. 642, the sti gasket, will work too.

But I mean, you could drive it awhile. Maybe pull off a belt cover and see how dusty it is in there, and listen for sqeaks/bad noises from that area with it running. The water pump that exploded on me a long time ago did give me pretty fair warning, Although back then it was just a funny squeak and I hardly knew anything about these cars or working on them.

You can't talk about noises without posting the picture of the metal on metal tensioner from the Legacy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Is it worth buying a crazy cheap rusty 02 WRX Wagon to swap it all into my 99 Forester? I already have a Tactrix cable (thanks Blaise), wideband, spare 02 Federal ECU, and some not-installed Prodrive springs. I assume I can just hack a GC scoop onto my already ugly hood?

Its already awesome because I put in the altimeter/compass/temperature thing.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 21, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

There was a 99 Eclipse GSX at Salinas Mitsubishi with 42 miles on it, priced at $28.990. In 2008.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

shovelbum posted:

I think you could just use diodes

That is how alternators work! Also most computers have crowbar diodes exceeding the pertinent fuse rating for this exact reason, but maybe some small ones don't?

um excuse me posted:

The terminals don't naturally flex enough to wire things backwards. You really have to try and gently caress up.

I ran a Group 26R battery in the Forester for a while a few years ago, and the battery cables on worked because the battery was smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Rime posted:

When Subaru makes a rock crawling friendly car again, I'll stop buying $2000 nightmares as old as I am.

The VDC transmission is loving Awesome.

There were Foresters in the South American market with dual range transfer cases in the SF5, don't know about SG or later. Also a place that had carbureted EJs, so definitely was a bit different.