Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Totally TWISTED posted:

I like the look of the deflector on my black Impreza. Check NASIOC for pictures that match what you have and decide if you like the look from that. I decided to forgo a clearbra mainly due to cost.

With the paint I picked it looks like that thing will be nearly invisible. Also, I don't know if I am going to find an authorized dealer in my area.

Thanks for the input guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

So I bought this thing

I'd like to put am more aggressive tire on it for back road/dirt road/two track shenanigans, and ideally to just have to worry about one set of tires on the car all year round. I was hoping for something like an All Terrain T/A. I'm not worried about pretty rims or road noise, just tires rubbing. I don't want to get hornswoggled by some douche at a tire shop, so I put it to you Subaru gentle persons, how do I address this problem?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

the 225/60-17 size is loving killing me. That's why I am wondering about rims.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

When I die, I plan to be fired into the sun in my STi.

I thought about getting a smaller rim and hopefully filling the gap with sweet sweet all terrain rubber, lol they are going to look like worse balloons than I have on there now. I'll start looking at the 16s.

I am a little worried about the car becoming terribly wobbly, or messing up the speedo readings.

edit: Tire Rack only wants to sell me 17s or 18s.

edit Mk II: Ok, I am going to have to get out and pound the pavement on this one, I will put this very helpful information to good use. Thanks guys!

burtonos fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 5, 2013

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

jamal posted:

Or just shop by size. You can get an older set of oe 16" alloys for dirt cheap on nasioc.

You may think I am terrible for it, but I kind of want a NASCAR style rim.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Diamond Racing makes steel wheels in a few different styles, including traditional NASCAR, in pretty much any bolt pattern. You can go super crazy with a custom wheel, pretty much every size, shape and bolt pattern you could want, or get a normal off the shelf one. Downside is the price, they're expensive for steelies.

edited misleading link

It's funny, a guy on Forza beat you to the punch by like ten minutes.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Gentlemen, I fear the wheel project is a bust. The 3.6 comes with bigger brakes.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

The STi has started consuming more oil rather suddenly. I stopped at a light and got a strong smell of oil burning, but I can't see any leaks. What am i in for?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Sockington posted:

A trip to a shop for a leak down test and turbo inspection is my guess. If its not leaking it, there are only so many other places it can go.

I just bought that bloody turbo! loving P&L Motorsports! :argh:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

I think the 2014XT is CVT only and in that case I would be running away. What a hateful gearbox. Handling-wise the newer Forester aren't as good as the older ones, they are things you sit in rather than things you have fun in. 10K i s a fair bit but I hate Subaru's CVT so much that I'd pay the difference.

Whoa, they don't offer it with the 3.6? My 2013 outback 3.6 came with the old 5 speed auto.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Well, the STi went in for an inspection today, there was no evidence of leaking around the engine bay. So it's an oil change and back for a check up in 1000 miles. ...thoughts?

edit: the internet seems to believe a quart of oil is normal between oil changes, but as my third Subaru, I have never seen consumption like this.

burtonos fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 23, 2013

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I was under the impression that the Michelins had a bad rep for not really giving warning before letting go. No squeal, no under steer, just going, going, going, oopsie.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

G-Mach posted:

Well looks like the clutch on my STi is finally giving up the ghost and slipping in 5/6th gear. From what I can tell it's the original (110,000 miles).

My clutch does not like WOT either. So, what I'd like is something that feels close to the stock clutch but is rated higher. Is there a "sweet spot" clutch that can take say 400 hp to be on the safe side and still feels similar, or am I looking at a leg breaker in traffic?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Let me tell you about the 3 weeks P&L had my car, and then made me wait the day they said it would be done, for eight hours, and then watched them eat a pizza and then had to badger them to get all my parts back for over a month.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

jamal posted:

I have not heard good things about cosworth lately, and basically all the people I knew there are working somewhere else.

My distributor does have a shortblock in stock.

Oh you tease :allears:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

jamal posted:

Only reason to get an auto would be if you want a 6 cylinder (great engine, makes about 250hp), because they don't pair them with manuals as far as I know.

They don't on the new ones, it was the first thing I asked for. :saddowns:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

angor posted:

Hey Subaru guys! After nearly 5 years of not owning a car, I finally got myself some wheels. And it's a Subaru! My first, in fact.

It's a 2008(2007?) Impreza 2.0 5MT. I'm really liking it so far! I've been trying to figure out what engine it has, but I'm having a bit of trouble. I know it's a 2L engine. I've tried my damnedest to find out, but the farthest I've got is it's either 150hp, 165hp or 190hp (JDM). The car was bought in the Middle East, and I think it was made for this market. Here's a shot of the plaque in the door jamb:

Can anyone help identify what this is?

Can you try a bar code reader?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

That isn't a rule. :colbert:

Here's the video I recognized my car in. At least it shows the ridiculousness of that stupid Gymkhana. Don't go to his channel if you value your sanity. My poor WRX. :smith:

Since when is "gymkhana exhaust" even a loving thing? :psyduck:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I'm moving!

I'm driving my STi from Michigan to Arizona in about a month. As a car going from an unregulated state to a state with emissions testing, what am I in for? I have no cats :(

burtonos fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 27, 2013

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

daslog posted:

If Arizona is a state that test tailpipe emissions with a Sniffer, then you are looking at getting a CAT.

I've got all my parts, but I've read that they use a sniffer, or don't. They may have no AWD dynos or rolling roads or whatever we call them outside of a power developing system and just check your ECU for a "no cat error" was it p0420? :v: And that it's possible to tune around that.

I can't wait to visit a couple tuning shops in an actual real city I am living in. At least it's not CA where they'd kill my car on sight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

Nothing, I was worried coming from AL a couple years ago. If the ecu is ready and no CEL's and you have a gas cap then you pass. My STi has no emission controls and smokes a bit and passes no problem

That's great news, thank you so much! The thinktank that is AI is always amazing :allears: