Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Don Dongington posted:

cool, thanks!

Yeah I read the thing about the MLS head gaskets in the OP.

I guess the big question is whether to shoot for an 04-05 2.5RS (all seem to be SOHC, 112kw@5600 and 228nm@3600) or the later model 2.0R (DOHC, VVT, 118kw@6500 AND 185nm@3200). The latter seems to have more power and would be better on fuel I assume, and I really don't mind revving the tits off an engine to make it go - but the 2.5 looks like it'd pull harder.

I'm probably just splitting hairs at this point, but I don't really know much about these cars other than that I like em'.

Avoid the 2.0R, the SOHC was a much, much better engine. DOCH non turbo engines are stuck with air pump and valves which are likely to expensively fail and they also have an untunable ECU which you'll have to get reset every few months to get rid of the flat spot they develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

dk2m posted:

Say what now? I've never heard of this before

AU spec 2.0R use a Hitachi ecu which can't be tuned. Almost every other Subaru uses a Denso ecu which can be tuned with a tactrix or similar.
Last I heard the only way to get Hitachi ecus tuned was by sending it to some guy in Russia who modifies them so they can be openport tuned

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

BloodBag posted:

What in the purple gently caress? I thought the FA20 DIT had port injectors for exactly this reason (pictured in orange)

I suspect fuckery.

E: I thought toyota figured this out ages ago after the 2.5 V6 in the IS250 would chew through pistons where the 3.5L didn't on account of it having port as well as direct injection.

Only BRZ got direct and port injection. WRX is straight DIT

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

The FA motor is fine, most failures are from stupid drivers doing stupid things. Just because its not OMGMOTORSPORTRALLYCHAMPION doesn't mean its a bad or unreliable motor.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

blk posted:

Wife's 09 Outback 3.0 R still occasionally misfiring on one bank. Any usual suspects to check?

Variable cam solenoid....very common to cause random misires on 1 bank

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

fickle poofterist posted:

In vic unfortunately bud. Do you know anyone in Vic you can reccomend? I'm dealing with gotitrex whi seem pretty good but always chasing reccomendations....

DIY it. All you have to do is pop off one of the side timing covers (4x 10mm bolts) and you can see the belt

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

fickle poofterist posted:

What tell tale marks am I looking for?

Any cracking or deterioration of the rubber. Genuine belts have a big patch of writing on them and if you can still clearly read it then its probably good. The belts are pretty strong, ive lifted an engine with a used timing belt before.
Idler pulleys on the other hand tend to fail before belts do but ive seen plenty go 200k on original idlers and you can usualy hear them before they let go.

ChunksNensja fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 6, 2018

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Even with two crowbars on opposite sides of the shaft we couldn’t get it out. Maybe it’s because this is a non-oem shaft? Idk. Rather than risk destroying something I’m going to take it somewhere, possibly the dealer.

This wasn't a Grip-X brand shaft by any chance? I hope for your sake it's not

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Nah, it was a Protex branded one https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/protex-cv-shaft-psa246a
What is the issue with Grip-X?

They don't sit right against the seal so they leak and get stuck in the diff like that Protex one has. Usually takes two massive pry bars and turning the shaft at the same time to try and get the circlip in just the right spot to pop. Reconditioned ones are the way to go or pay the $300ish from a dealer for new

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

BH Legacy EJ251, w 4eat. Wife says when it's cold and you put it in drive and keep your foot on the brake there is a terrible vibration. Somewhat smooths out when getting warm, and isnt that noticeable when driving. Also when you pop it into neutral the vibration in the car stops.

The nasioc/legacygt forums have described this as a dying injector, but that seems crazy to me, any thoughts?I would have assumed it was something with the trans (bad valve body).

Car has 180,000 miles on it. It has had maintenance done it's whole life.

Driveshafts. Most aftermarket front driveshafts cause exactly this due to the design and quality of the CVs. Find a decent rebuilt genuine shaft and it will probably fix it.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

It had the opposite, an exhaust leak. Maybe a lack of backpressure did it?
Where was the leak? Cracked exhaust manifolds/leaking gaskets can cause a burnt valve. Otherwise carbon buildup almost definitely caused it.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I got the recall on my 2012, but haven't taken it in. I'm glad I didn't.

Same valve spring but the recall for BRZ/86 is very different procedure than Impreza. Problem is Toyota techs doing recalls on Subaru motors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

PitViper posted:

Ugh. CVTs! :argh:

If that's the case, it'll probably get a low mile used CVT thrown in if it starts getting worse. I've got a few locally for $500-700 with 60-80k on them. Doesn't help that the '13 was apparently a unique CVT vs the '14+ models.

Drove it around for around 100 miles yesterday, could only infrequently make it act up. I'll probably try changing the fluid next weekend, and put in the spark plugs I've had for it since last summer. Too bad the extended warranty on the CVT was up last July.

I should note that it drives perfectly in "manual" mode. But that's not terribly acceptable to the wife, unfortunately.
Take it to a dealer. Theres software updates to fix things like this