Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So in the some what near future I am thinking of picking up a 2005 or 2006 STi. I like how both look. The uses would be DD, tuning, full autocross seasons and track time a few times a year. The things that make me want the 2005 more is the more rear biased torque split. What makes me want the 2006 more is the mechanical center lsd. Would there be other considerations I should make? Any recommendations of things I should look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So I'm bad and bought a 3rd car. My dad sold me his 04 wrx wagon. I plan to part time dd it and rally cross it. I'm not worried about class as my dad has already put in a light fly wheel and decated up pipe. Any reason why I shouldn't look into forester suspension for a little lift?

Edit: and what Subaru forums are worth a poo poo?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
My main reason for wanting to raise it is to avoid knocking my bumper off. The front and rear bumper on my gf's civic are only held on by zip tires after 4 rally cross events. If that's not a problem for rallycross in a Subaru, yeah I'll just put plates on.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Sorry to spam the thread. What's the current thought on tuners? My dad gave me an Openport 2.0 with the car. Is there any real reason to go with anything else as long as I'm not an idiot?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Sudo Echo posted:

Amazon also has OEM filters for pretty drat cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters-Washers-Pack/dp/B007NLQO0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430776981&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+oil+filter

Frequently bought with: Rotella T6 and Fumoto oil drain valve. It's like they read this thread.

So what is this fumoto valve and why does everyone love it? Is it that much trouble to pull the drain plug? Also in my experience subarus seem to burn a lot of oil or blow a fair bit by. Won't the t6 ruin my cat?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So HVAC has been a hot topic lately. I went to replace the o-rings around the compressor today and found my high pressure hose has a leak (PN 73421FE001). What are the low price places to get parts?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

I did practically the same in a Miata. I will never understand why people like or recommend the HP+. It's the worst compromise of features I can imagine. Loud and dusty like a race pad. Short lived and over heats like s street pad. They aren't even that cheap so that can't be the excuse.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I'm I'm looking to put a catted down pipe, 3" exhaust, and wideband O2 on my 04 wrx wagon. Any thing to look for? I figure I'll pick up a used Perrin or other non cob set up for around $300, and an AEM wide band.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I've been out of Subaru stuff for years. Why don't people like the 2.5 anymore? I feel like back in 07 or so they were considered bulletproof.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So took my 04 wrx wagon to its first rallycross. The front right wheel bearing sounded pretty wicked when I got back on the road. Lifted it at home and it's got some play to it.

Should I replace the hub when I do the bearing or reuse it? And if I need a new one, are there any aftermarket hubs (ie less than the $140 factory ones) that aren't poo poo?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So I took the wrx to its first rallycross.
http://youtu.be/lYtDOwbPOgE
The spool time was a killer. I want to stay in mod class because screw prep and going back to stock would be un fun. Due to rules I can't touch the turbo. I figure a 3" cat back, catted down pipe and some tuning time is about all I can do to bring down spool time and rpm. Any other recommendations? I wouldn't think adding aftermarket ebc would really change my ability to make boost earlier.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Also the 2.0L wrx's are kinda hosed because they tend to get stuck between gear 1 and 2 at our events, 2 is too high and 1 is too low. You see wrx guys get pissed off and just bang it off 1st for half there run sometimes.

I was feeling the gearing out there. One guys (who won nationals one year in his stock bug eye) mentioned he spun a rod bearing after a red line bouncing most of the track at an event.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So is there a good reason to not get a $100 used good condition invidia catless down pipe and weld in a high flow cat? Seems much cheaper than I've found I could get a used catted downpipe for.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What tires do you dudes in the hot parts of the world run? I have no idea about tires and I don't really want semi slicks cause I have to drive in heavy rain/daily drive so semis would be a waste/kill me. That's what the internet says I need, just like it says I need $200 a corner minimum rotors.

I just want a good street tire that will grip well when I go for a mang and be fine when I have to drive in fhe wet.

I just went from Dunlop ZIIs on my Miata to BFG Sportcomp 2s and I like them pretty well. Not as much grip clearly but the sport comps are really impressive in the wet. I made the change from the fast tires to the sport comps because of price, and I'm not running my Miata in autocross right now. (Plus I only got 7.5k miles out of the ZII)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So my room mate totaled his lovely v6 mustang and is looking at Subarus. I don't know poo poo about foresters. Is there any reason not to look at this?
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5149879279.html

He would rather a 5 speed but the auto isn't a deal breaker for him.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I looked into an aux port for my 04 wrx. Looks like the only way requires a blank cd. Which seems like a crappy way to do it to me.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So my 04 wrx's radio is a little hosed. A CD got jammed and when I took it apart it looks like one of the worm gears that moves the disks up and down jumped timing. I really hate how aftermarket head units look. Could I put an 06 radio in my car so that I could have aux?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

BloodBag posted:

PM me your info and I'll send you my 08's radio. Then all you'd need is this thing and you'll have an aux port. I replaced that stereo with this alpine headunit and it's pretty loving great.

The more research I've done, it looks like most of the 08s got a wider than din (what the 07 and down use) radio slot. So I don't think I can put an 08 radio in my car. Thanks for the thought though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So I've been trying to keep my eye out for a cheap catted down pipe that had a good design. There's a Cobb locally for $200 that's a year old. Any reason not to pull the trigger?
The taper at the end is a bummer and its SS as I recall so I can't just cut and mig it.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 16, 2015

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Opinion, maybe just skid plates for now and rally cross it. A lift that high would do more harm than good to an older wrx like mine (04). I've been rally coasting the poo poo out of mine with no mods. I need skid plates and new shocks.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Stupid question time. I'm now running a Cobb catted down pipe, decayed up pipe, spt intake, and factory cat back on my 04 wrx. This seems roughly "stage 2".

Currently I'm pegging my wide band rich when it's pulling. I'm pretty sure I have a leak in my up pipe but I don't think that would cause this.

So, 1. If any one has a base map, if love to see it to compare mine.
2, I think I'm going to clean my maf and work on some scaling tuning.

Oh and I'm using open tuning.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Ive been playing around logging and lightly tuning my wrx (open port). I have an AEM wide band. How important is EGT? Do I really need a sensor for that?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
04 wrx. Went to crank it this morning. It turns over, maybe more rapidly than normal but hard to tell because it always starts so quickly normally. Has fuel pressure, timing belt is in good shape, maf is plugged in. Things I haven't done, pull the maf to look it at, check spark (because I spilled fuel on everything). I also haven't put the stock tune on it (had been running fine for forever on this tune, and my changes have just been correcting little issues.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So I still haven't figured out if this noise is normal. You can hear it really well in this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-hn9Rft7kY
I don't know how to describe other than a sort of fluttering sound.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
An autocrosser I knew had a PVC pipe in his truck with all 4 TPMS sensors in it. Put as schrader valve on it and keeps it pressurized. I think it worked. I don't remember if Subaru TPMS detects rotation or anything.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My OEM pickup definitely had signs of stress on it when it was removed, and another club member did have his come apart during an autocross and lunch a motor.

It's probably a flawed design in general and vibration does it as opposed to lateral Gs. It's a shame because the 2.5L pan design is so much better at not starving the motor under Gs like the EJ205 pan seemed to.

If the engine's coming out I would do pickup and baffle again regardless of the car's use. If I were pulling the motor on an EJ205, I would update it to an EJ257 pan and put an upgraded pickup and baffle on that pan.

So you guys are scaring me. Should I be looking to change oil pans on my WRX for rallycross?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
The Takata fix for my car wasnt very long at all. Half a day tops. (Sup 04 buddy)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Only pads I've rocked out side of OEM are the HP+ and HPS. They both sucked for differing reasons.

Some one locally has a turboxs cat back and a 3in catted down pipe for a song. I don't need the down pipe so I'd probably sell it. Any one have a turboXS cat back or have experience with one to know how bad it drones?

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 28, 2016

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I'd be interested! How do those trans swaps compare to a 6 speed? I'd like a more stout drive line for a budget price. (Having an 04 wrx for daily/rallycross duty)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
On my 04 WRX, I have a SPT hot air, a cob downpipe and next weekend, probably a Q300 cat back. I don't really plan on doing anything more engine wise. Is there anything else I should look at before considering a pro tune? Maybe injector cleaning? I've got 170k miles on mine.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

daslog posted:

It's a good idea, but a leakdown is not going to tell that your #4 Rod bearing is about to start spinning.

170k is an excellent run a for an EJ20, but if it was mine I'd change out the internals before all my stuff got wrecked by bearing material swimming in the oil.

Yeah its 170k on the factory motor. I take it doing the bearings on the EJ is a motor out operation, wont be just dropping the oil pan? I mean, part of me says just runer till shes done and be saving for a EJ207 out of a V7 or something.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

jamal posted:

Well, there are a few 15s that fit 4-pots. Basically any rally wheel.

And hey, here you go:

http://knsbrakes.com/c/kns-bracket

v2 bracket will let you put 2-pots on an 08+ sti.

Don't know if that rotor is actually dual drilled though. if you got ahold of kns brakes they could probably do it for you.

But I think a fairly aggressive 17" all season or a winter tire would make your life a lot easier. Could possibly get one of those tire tread groove cutter things and improve the pattern.

I've been running BFG Comp-2 A/S tires this year in rallycross and they have been super solid. Plenty of traction for local rallycross. If k was running nationals I'd be more worried about getting my 04 on 15s and rallycross tires.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

mekilljoydammit posted:

Long in advance of doing either option, but just trying to plan out before I spend more money slowly accumulating parts (or not) And mostly I'm waiting for my first work-coffee to kick in so I can be productive.

So I'm DDing a bugeye, still on the original EJ205, at about 170k miles. No signs that anything is going wrong, but I like the car and it's my intent to just keep fixing it and upgrading stuff a bit so I don't get bored and take out a loan on some stupidly expensive replacement. Suspension and maybe driveline (mostly bought, a question if I get to it) is this year, then on to power. And basically I'm torn between a mildly built engine or a 207 swap. Engine plans would be on the order of a 2.1 stroked closed deck EJ20G block (which I already have sitting around) with ported 205 heads and cams, while the 207 would be an unopened 207. Target either way is 93 octane power and adult-driven-non-launching-5-speed torque, so about 350-375hp and 300ft/lbs - so it's not like I'm asking the moon. I like the idea of doing a built engine - it seems to me that a used 207 will be, by definition, used in god knows what way, whereas I know I can select better quality parts than Subaru bothered to use. But will even 4032 forged pistons held to fairly tight PTW last? I'd prefer to not have to open the thing up again for quite a while. And yeah, I know AVCS on the 207 helps low end torque and all that... but I'm not sure I actually care, given I know how to actually downshift and all that jazz.

Im in the exact same situation with an 04 and the same miles. I rallycross the piss out of mine and am trying to start a local rallycross program. The only advantage I have, its its not my DD, its my 3rd car though I pretty much DD it.
Things that are on my car:
Light weight flywheel (I didnt do it and Id rather it be stock)
Aluminum rad
SPT intake
Cobb catted DP
No name decatted up pipe
Blitz touring exhaust
Homegrown tune

Things I plan on doing, in this order:
Mud flaps
Skid plates
Feal 441 long travel suspension
04 STI or JDM sti drive line
Either 205 stoker build, or an EJ207. The torque matters to me though, because thats where the STIs kill me right now.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Sanity check. After talking with a friend running E85 in his turbo Miata, I want to do it in my 04 WRX. Thinking of doing that and a 02-03 ECU so I can run carberry. How loving stupid is this?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Any one here do much open source tuning? I'm trying to teach my self but some things have struck me as odd. Like at WOT, 14PSI, 10.5 AFR I'm over 90% injector duty cycle from 5k rpm to near redline.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Derp, yeah its an 04 WRX. De catted up pipe, SPT intake, cobb catted dp, blitz 3" cat back. Im logging with the tactrix cable. Im too cheap for cobb. Also Ive been having a hell of a time making more than stock boost. I have had to add a few turns to the wastegate linkage.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

jamal posted:

Stock injectors and stock turbo? There not much more there.

Yup. Stock both. I just didn't think, half a psi above stock would be that much load on the injectors. Probably should start leaning up a bit more.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Have you tuned for your intake? Isn't it a really bad idea to put them on Subarus without tuning your MAF curve?

Can't remember what the stock turbo and injectors are capable of, but I'd trust Jamal.

Yeah I've done maf scaling and my AFRs are spot on with my targets (both OL and CL). Frankly it runs quite well outside of not hitting boost targets. I probably shouldn't gently caress with it. I'd just like a bit more go if I can.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

jamal posted:

Are you using the stock boost control solenoid and pill or a 3-port? Stock solenoid could also be part of your problem.

Stock BCS and the pill. I'll have to look into a BCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I plan on swapping turbo. I mostly use the car for rallycross so a quick spool is more important than big numbers to me. That's part of the reason I've been considering carberry and e85.

I do have a drill press and access to a lathe so I may try making my own pill as you suggest.