Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Just drill the head off. Using a drill bit that is slightly larger than the threaded section of the screw drill out the center of the head (where the stripped out hole is) until you see the head pop off and get stuck to your drill bit. Then you can remove the panel and grab the remaining part of the screw with vice grips and screw it out. I've had to remove everything from body fasteners like you're dealing with to engine case bolts that stripped because they make them out of the softest steel they can find apparently.

Re. the electrical problem: Go over every electrical connector on the bike. One at a time unplug the connectors, look at it to make sure it's not burnt/melty, squirt some dielectric grease in there and plug them back in. This serves 2 purposes, just unplugging/replugging cleans the contact areas and the dielectric helps to weatherproof and keep them from corroding in the future.

I've fixed many an intermittent electrical problem doing this. And even if it doesn't fix anything it's excellent preventive maintenance.

VV Well, this first. I guess I shouldn't assume people would check to see "is my battery charged?" when something doesn't start.

obso fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Tyorik posted:

All good suggestions. My only other issue is, and I should have mentioned this before, parts of my bike have some scuffs in the clear coat that I want to get out. How much does that complicate things?

Just follow Shimrod's instructions above but replace "cut n polish" with "swirl remover rubbing compound" (I have a feeling we are talking about the same thing, just different names) and spend a little more time rubbing it into the scuffed areas. If you can borrow a random orbital polisher it will make the process much easier and the final result better.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

M42 posted:

I'd like to know more about linked brakes. Can you convert most bikes' brake systems to linked ones? More importantly, can you do it to a gs500?

I'm not sure about all of them but newer Honda VTX one's that I've worked on have kind of a separated piston caliper on the front. Where the front brake lever operates one set of pistons and the foot brake is tied to another (and to the rear caliper). But it's all inside one caliper housing (with 2 spots to bleed).

So basically it's just to force the die-hard foot brake users into using some front brake, while staying away from the layer dan lever.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Tyorik posted:

I ordered a new fender and chin scoop for my motorcycle and they came with a black gel coat, ready to sand and paint. When it arrived the gel coat was so well done that I just put it on. Now, my question is, is it possible to clean it up a bit without painting it? Say, run a clay bar over it and put a coat of wax on it? It wouldn't have a perfect showroom quality to it but it's been a pain in the rear end trying to find someone to paint them around here.

Is the gel-coat gloss black? If so running it as-is shouldn't be a problem. Take some swirl removing rubbing compound to it to smooth out any small imperfections then wax it.

Worst thing that could happen is it starts to oxidize/fade in a couple years and you have to get it painted.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Is there any extra length in the hose? I would try removing the clamp that is on there, pull off the hose, clean everything up and put the hose back on, sliding it up a little farther than it is now. Then just hose clamp it (jubilee clamp? I never knew they were called that until now). But use a quality one not one that looks like a cheese grater.

At 3.5 years that hose shouldn't be terribly deteriorated.

obso fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 8, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Z3n posted:

Why would you run a dohc setup with rocker arms anyways? I guess to shorten the arms?

So you can operate multiple valves from a single cam lobe. At least that's what the Honda v4's use them for. Why? Beats me. Maybe its a weight thing.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Oh I know, I just finished setting the lash on mine. But I guess your right. It doesn't really "rock" if it's pivot is on the end.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Bark busters also do a decent job at keeping the cold air from blowing straight at your hands the whole time. Aesthetic preference may vary.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Question regarding my ongoing quest to find out what this noise is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vcur_mmC-A (noise is nowhere near that volume in person, my phone just seemed to pick that up over everything else).

My question is is any play acceptable in the connecting rod bearing? Wrist pin and piston clearances are all good. The only thing that seems off is there is about .002-.003" of up and down play in the rod bearing (using my calibrated caliper fingers), just barely enough to even feel anything.

Just looking for a second opinion, I'd hate to split the case and have a new bearing pressed on just to put it back together and still have the noise Engine only has 6k miles on it (and 32 years).

obso fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 16, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Yeah it sounded like valvetrain noise to me too. But the valve lash was good and the timing chain was tight. Altho I did notice while tearing it down the cam chain adjuster was was screwed down almost to its maximum so it's probably time to replace the spring.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
The tensioner it was.

You can see the shiny circular ring where the plunger was smacking against the adjuster.

This is the odd part tho. Here is a page from the repair manual for the bike (80 yamaha sr250).

Step 5 bottom left.

But when you set the adjuster so that push rod is flush

It has less than a mm of free play before it hits the adjuster. *Spring is off in these photos for obvious reasons.

I'm just going to err on the side of caution and set it a little looser than what it calls (so it has at least twice that much travel) when I reassemble it but I was just curious if I'm missing something here, or misinterpreting the instructions.

obso fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Don't worry about finding that exact part number, you're looking for a "micro ISO relay". The one you find may have an extra pin that yours doesn't, it should still plug in to your socket and work. However relays don't typically buzz when they get bad. They buzz when something is sending an incorrect signal to it or if there is a bad connection somewhere.

But before you do any more electrical diagnosis make sure you know 100% that you have a good, fully charged battery. Otherwise you're just creating headache for yourself and possibly chasing problems that don't exist. After that check/clean your power and ground connections (including where the ground lead connects to the frame).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

M42 posted:

Does anyone here live in an apartment and also do their own bike work/repairs? Where do you do it?

You're supposed to get security deposits back?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
In the Haynes testing procedure they are testing current. Which requires the meter to be in series. You are testing voltage so the meter should be in parallel.

Just make sure your meter is set to whatever you are measuring before connecting it. If it is set to current and you put it across your battery it will pop a fuse or kill the meter.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

epalm posted:

Have I done irreparable damage to the battery?

When the battery tender puts the magic back in, will the battery will work like new?

#1: probably
#2: doubtful, but it may be good enough.

You've done the only thing you could do. Charge it up and see if you got lucky.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

KARMA! posted:

I haven't touched my bike in a great while and my battery is low. It's a bitch to get at though. Can I connect my recharger to something other than directly to the battery without ill effects?

If you can reach the starter solenoid any easier you can clamp it to the hot lead on there.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Geirskogul posted:

KREEM sucks balls, and will eventually flake apart.

My tank got KREEMed 7-8 years ago and other than turning kind of a brown color it's held up fine.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Ashex posted:

I double checked the tank prep A bottle and it's mostly phosphoric acid so I stuck with that. I'll drain it in 4-5 hours and see how it turned out. It's just going to be a pain to discard the acid and such.

For phosphoric acid just mix it with a few gallons of water and pour it on the ground. It makes a good fertilizer.

Can't say the same for the other crud it washes out of the tank tho, Just don't pour it on anything you intend to eat.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Or learn to left hand throttle, plebes.

VV(I really just use a throttle lock, and have yet to die from it!)

obso fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 6, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sagebrush posted:

Don't have an iPhone, but on Android I recommend something like MapFactor Navigator https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator if you need offline mapping.

Another good one for android is OsmAnd

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

ThatCguy posted:

Looks to be an F650GS, the "650" had the single front caliper and also had spoked wheels in 07+

The 07+ F650GS has a different style disk than the bike in the picture (650 has a fixed front rotor, 800 has floating rotors like in the picture). Plus you can see the bracket and mounting holes on the right fork where the caliper used to attach. Still no idea why someone would remove a disk and caliper unless it was a trail fix of some sort.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sagebrush posted:

This might go better in the vintage bike thread, but this one gets more play so eh gently caress it:

Do CV carburetors need to be re-jetted to run properly at high altitudes? Or does the vacuum diaphragm account for that automatically? I'm thinking of taking a road trip up into some high altitude locations (going from basically sea level up to a maximum of about 6500-7000 feet) and I'm wondering if my little CL will be able to handle it. I would expect to lose some power as the air thins out, and I'm expecting it to be running a little rough to boot, but I really don't want to start running so lean that the engine blows up.

CV carbs are less susceptible to altitude changes than other carb types, however they are affected just the same. But you have it backwards, as you increase in altitude the oxygen lessens and the bike starts to run too rich. No risk of damaging your bike from it, just a loss of power. If you have mufflers with removeable baffles it's a good excuse to pull them out. It will lean the mixture up some and get some of the power back.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Yeah definitely sounds like an intake leak if you're sure you got the carb clean. If you don't want to hose everything with wd-40 or starting fluid an unlit propane torch works well for finding leaks. Pretty sure the tw200 intake just has a paper gasket sealing it to the head. Take a close look at the vacuum nipple coming off of it, they like to crack there.

You sure that when you buggered the pilot screw o-ring you didn't shove a piece of it down into where the pilot screw seats? Also how many turns are you tuning the pilot screw out?

obso fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 12, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

the walkin dude posted:

I changed the oil in my '04 zx6r on Saturday (first oil change for the bike).

the walkin dude posted:

have been routinely pushing the engine hard since I got it in August.

your oil may be normal but that's not a good habit.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Shimrod posted:

Would you guys be able to tell me if the stator cover needs to come off any any stage to redo the cam chain in a ZZR250? Usually I'd trust them but when I had a look at the bike in their storage area there were a few parts off it and the stator cover side of the bike was the only ones I could get a look at and I'm positive it was off.

Maybe. The timing marks (to line up the new chain) are behind the stator cover. But some engines have 2 plugs you can take out to access the flywheel bolt for turning the engine over and another hole to see the timing marks. If your bike has these it's a good chance they didn't remove it. But even then most stator covers aren't holding in oil so I'm not sure why it would leak. Most are just there to keep water out of the electrics.

Either way it sounds like it's time to find a new shop.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
On something as common and easy to find parts for as that I would just buy one from a newer model off ebay and be on my way. Every time I've tried to repair rusty fuel tanks that develop pinhole leaks it's always a nightmare. Get one sealed up and a couple weeks later you have a new one in a different spot. Something like kreem will stop the leaks but you will still have sections of the tank that are aluminum foil thick just waiting to get bumped.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
You can check for bad connections but that's how a lot of starters start showing death throes.

Good news is you can typically replace the brushes cheap.

edit: unless you are seriously overheating something and pistons are trying to seize. But if normal operating temps, starter.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
It looks like someone previously tried to stop the leak with blue RTV silicone.

That fork probably hasn't had fluid in it in a while.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I thought that's what I proposed, did I mis-state? Or are you saying I should buy a whole front end? I'm unclear as to whether you're advising I:

- buy a new right "cylinder comp" (the shiny part, right?) and use my current fork pipes and small parts, with fresh seals,
- buy two new cylinder comps although the left just has some specks of surface rust
- buy the full pair of cylinder comp, fork pipes, and the small bits to replace those entirely

The latter. The shiny parts are called fork stanchions or tubes. Find a pair of complete forks on ebay that don't have any pitting or rust on the tubes and put new fluid and seals in them.

VV Yeah, that's all you need.

obso fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 26, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sagebrush posted:

What's the difference between "superbike" bars and "euro" bars?

I asked myself the same thing when looking for bars. I ended up buying the "euro" bars because I think they had 10mm more rise or something insignificant like that.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Kilersquirrel posted:

Got access to a sawzall?

I knew someone that got rid of an entire 300zx (parts car) by sawzalling it into pieces small enough to fit in garbage bins and throwing it out over a couple months.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Z3n posted:

Probably more of an issue on carbs which are a bit less adjustable, but the corollary to "higher flowing" is always "less filtration", so I tend to stick to OEM filters. If you're not chasing 10ths, why bother with the potential wear to internals from crap getting into the engine? If you don't plan on holding on to your bike for more than another 20k. Given the choice between better airflow and better filtration, it makes sense to pick better filtration.

Meh, anecdotal evidence I know, but my 82 honda got a K&N with it's first filter change and is just about to kick over 60k miles with no appreciable wear. Plenty of those miles were unkept dirt roads.

obso fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely that design means that once the slipper kicks in you lose all engine braking though?

Not all of it, but that is the point.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Kilersquirrel posted:

Drain your tank, drain your carb bowls, and run a half-and-half mix of Seafoam and gas through it for a few minutes. Then let it sit for a while, restart, repeat. They'll be squeaky clean in no time, and you'll de-varnish the bottom portion of your fuel tank nicely.

If passages in the carbs are plugged then no amount of fuel additives will clean it (because no fuel flows through them).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't noticed any actual hanging when I close the throttle, though it does sort of go in two stages -- a fairly rapid drop to about 1800rpm, a pause for a second or so, then a drop to the idle point of 1300-1500.

That's hanging. That also typically indicates a lean condition. I'm betting you either have a clogged jet/passage in that carb or a ruptured diaphragm. Also check the fuel level in the bowl.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Wal-mart sells big tubes of it in the craft section. That stuff is magic. I knocked a starter housing off my workbench and it jarred one of the permanent magnets loose. Broke out the E6000, and 3 years later that starter is still working fine.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

McTinkerson posted:

I have the BS38's from my XS500 torn apart and the supposedly correct rebuild kits for them. I am however not so sure the internet was correct. Would those that have worked on the Mikuni BS series care to take a look and set me straight?

Based on this.

Does this look correct? I know the Keyster rebuild kits are generic and some modification may be necessary, however there are some significant differences. The float bowl gasket and needle valve "look" correct.

Yeah as far as I can tell that looks right. It looks to have everything you need there. I see the bowl gasket, pilot screw, float valve, main and pilot jets. The spring looks like the one that goes on the idle screw. I'm not sure what the small gasket and the brass rod are for but that shouldn't be hard to figure out (or maybe for a different application?). Thought I could be of more help, I could put a BS34 together blindfolded but this is a completely different animal.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Xovaan posted:

I just tuck the bike under me in turns and keep my torso kind of upright. If you aren't booking it at ludicrous speeds through corners, body position won't matter as much. People on sport tourers go 20 faster than me around corners barely moving their bodies at all and after that I realized I was overthinking everything

You mean keep your torso upright in relation to the motorcycle? Or Do you mean keep your torso upright to the world and let your bike lean under you? If it's the latter that's called crossed up and is a bad habit to get into. When you are doing that you are leaning the bike over farther than you need to, and decreasing the amount of evasive maneuvers you can make.

Drop your inside elbow a little on corners. This will help keep your arms loose on the bars and brings your torso down lower and to the inside so your weight is helping rather than it having to corner fighting against you.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Naan Bread posted:

My first bike (Honda CBF125) has thrown a big end and isn't safe to ride any more, the dealership I got it from are trying to say that the warranty it is still under is void. I had a spill about a month ago where the bike tipped and the engine stalled after literally 3 seconds whilst on its side, the dealer is trying to claim that this was long enough to drain the engine of oil and cause the issue that has arisen.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds likely? The bike is from 09 and had 15000 miles when I bought it 5 weeks ago and I've done about 700 more since then, the (only) crash was the one mentioned above that happened 4 weeks ago. Since then I have taken it to the dealership because I thought it was leaking oil (it wasn't, and the workshop manager assured me it was absolutely fine). I only noticed a knocking sound 2 days ago and took it there as soon as possible where it has remained.

Thanks for any help!

It depends. If it's an 09 then it's being covered by a 3rd party warranty. And that will all come down to the company that issued it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

AfricanBootyShine posted:

How does a hypercharger work, and does it really do anything?

It's a fancy air filter housing. They do a great job of sucking in rain.