Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
None of you ever used a punch or edge of a small chisel to break loose small screws like that? Just set the tip of the punch/chisel close to the outside edge of the screw and tap it in the direction you want it to turn.

If that doesn't work I drill them. It's a pretty painless operation (and extremely common).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

ChiTownEddie posted:

2010 Bonneville
Sunday: bust out bike for the first time this year. Starts right up. Ride it for 20min. Park, nothing left on.
Monday: acknowledges the key (everything turns on) but trying to start has the ignition click once then nothing (no turning over).
I take out the battery 12.4v. Put it on charger.
Friday: take battery off, 14.1v or so. Pop it in, headlight turns on but noooothing else. Definitely no ignition click. Take it out and its at 13.0v.

This is the original battery if that matters, but its probably just replacement time, right? Please god tell me this sounds like "replace the battery and you're fine." (Probably)

Sounds like something else. The fully charged resting voltage for bike batteries is about 12.7V. After being off the charger a few hours it should drop down to this voltage. The fact it still read 12.4 after being stored means there's no shorted cells.

Work all your brake/clutch/kickstand switches a few times. If any of them is malfunctioning it can cause what you are describing.

obso fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 6, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

JP Money posted:

I've been toying with the idea of trying to reverse bleed my brakes lately with a syringe and some clear tubing. The DRZ especially has a brake hose that curves up above the MC and could trap air. The lever will always have a good amount of travel due to a small piston but I'm curious if I can make the brakes feel better with this method than the typical draining method. I suspect it won't make any difference though.

Any input?

Replace the front brake line(s) with steel braided if they aren't already.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Tamir Lenk posted:

You can make your own SS lines pretty easily.

http://www.apexbrakes.com/custom.asp

Easy (and cheap) to have someone else make them too.

JP Money posted:

In my experience it doesn't really get any better with bleeding due to it being a smaller MC of older design.

Nothing stopping you from swapping on one with a bigger piston. It's a fairly easy swap in most cases.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 24, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Wootcannon posted:

Done it repeatedly while trying for it earlier, if only it were so easy.

I believe it's about 8 months/2.5-3k miles old, the lads in the dealership gave it the works before handing it over to me.

Change it. Fresh oil can do wonders for weird trans issues.

Wootcannon posted:

I'll get back to you tomorrow morning about that, but what would that mean/entail? Take off the clutch and check if the teeth or whatever you call them that engage the drive are damaged, or is it just a case of cleaning gunk and making sure all moving parts are moving freely?

Think of your clutch as 0 when the handle is pulled all the way in. And 100 when let off completely. Where in there do you feel it grab and the bike start to move? (60-80?) Where does it feel completely engaged? (70-90?) (Is that confusing? that's how my brain visualizes it best)

obso fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 1, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
A bad battery can also cause one to die at idle. Because at idle the charging system isn't putting out enough to overcome the draw from the dead battery and still power the coil.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Gweenz posted:

Order of things to check?

Leakdown test on the valves. Sounds like one of them may be carboned/sticking.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

n8r posted:

Lol what?

Hard to say really. Given that it's happening on one side I'd first make drat sure your ignition/spark/timing is correct before I mess with anything else.

How does the bike run when you ride it? It sounds like what you are describing is a lean condition with the throttle closed - which would typically indicate pilot jet/idle jets being clogged.

He said it's backfireing through one carb. On a nearly 40 year old bike ill-sealing valves are a distinct possibility.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Xovaan posted:

Well, the fork springs, valves, and seals were installed within 20,000 miles and still look almost new. I'm all for just adding fork oil, but the factory manual and RaceTech both specify a certain mm to the teeth that the forks should be filled to, which would warrant removing the whole front fork assembly.

Argh I just don't wanna do this on a loving highway with uneven pavement. Gonna order a seal kit anyway and some #5 fork oil and hopefully be able to do this next week without loving things up too badly. :ohdear:

If your fork seals aren't that old try something like Sealmate and topping off the oil. A lot of times it's just debris stuck in the seal that makes them leak.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

zapateria posted:

Can this be fixed without changing everything?

Sure, those 2 phillips screws will remove the plate on the front. Behind that is a wave washer and then you can pull out that selector switch and replace it. Note that when you pull this apart any fuel in the tank is going to come pouring out so drain it best you can first. Probably worth buying a petcock rebuild kit when you go to do it. Sometimes those rubber seals don't seal as well the second time.

obso fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 19, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
I had one snap off like that in my yamaha (which I suspect yours is by the plug). In my case this is the one time an EZ-out worked flawlessly and pulled the remainder of the plug right out. If you need more reach with the EZ-out, hammer a socket onto the end of it and then use a ratchet with extension to turn.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Nidhg00670000 posted:

From what I've observed, Akra doesn't always make the most power, and aren't always the lightest, but they are very good when it comes to power:sound ratio (meaning they are usually making good power while still sounding good as opposed to just being obnoxiously loud).

That's been my experience. Except on ninja 650s, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do to that exhaust note to make it pleasing.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

EX250 Type R posted:

My friend's 2005 Victory Vegas 8ball has some odd tire wear, anyone have any ideas?

Pretty common symptom when the tire has been run with too low pressure.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

freebooter posted:

Why is it that mechanics never seem to need your trade? I'm trying to get mirrors replaced on my Triumph - at a loving Triumph dealership - and I've had to call them repeatedly over two weeks to see if they can accomplish that hugely complex task. Now I'm fed up and going elsewhere.

I just can't think of any other business, in any industry, which isn't particularly bothered whether you come in and pay them money to do things or not.

Well right now is one of their busier parts of the year. I've been scheduled up for the past couple weeks with people waiting till the last minute to bring their machines in to get repaired so they can go on their "epic independence day ride". Sadly right now you would probably have to leave it a couple days before I could work it into a space to just change some mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

How do I tune four mixture screws "for best idle?" Will adjusting one screw really affect the idle of the whole motor that much?

Start with them set to whatever the factory spec says. Sync them (preferably with a manometer but a bench sync will do in a pinch). Start it and warm it up. Then one carb at a time, screw the pilot screw in (CW) until you hear that cylinder drop and the idle speed lower. Then turn it out (CCW) until you hear the cylinder drop off. Take the difference of the two and set your pilot screw there. Rinse, lather, repeat for the others. If your final pilot screw setting is more than 3-3.5 turns out, then you either have an air leak somewhere, a gunked up carb, or some other intake/exhaust modification that necessitates a bigger pilot jet (throw in 1 size bigger pilot jets and try again).

obso fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 21, 2013