Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just bleed the banjos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's not a huge difference as long as the rotors / pads are in good shape.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Use the Michelin pilot street on your 250.

On the 701, possible it was underfilled and you wore down enough clutch material that it ended up empty. Orherwise, ya, leaking slave cylinder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Metzler Roadtec 01s are decent too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buhbuhj posted:

Tire question. It should be fine to mix a diablo rosso corsa front with a rosso 3 rear right? The corsa on the rear of my bike is already done and I have like 2k left on the front. The rosso 3 is cheaper so I figure I can slap that on the rear till I'm ready to replace both with some angel gts

Yes this is fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revvik posted:

That snapped screw is the screw that holds the cover to my oil filter on. Umm I'm completely hosed aren't I.

Can you remove the cover? Should be able to just walk it out once the cover is off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revvik posted:

Update on my SMT: reverse bits did not get the bolts out. Towed to shop. They could not get the bolts out. Quoted $4500 and change for new cases and the work to swap them over.

Anyone got a spare 990 engine lying around.

Find a machine shop, ffs, that's some amateur hour bullshit. Absolute full on worst case you drill the bolt out, ruin the threads, and timesert the hole. 4500 for new cases and to swap the internals over, they can gently caress right off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Skier posted:

Works Performance is out of business. The Works Performance shocks on my Triumph Scrambler are (past) due for a rebuild/servicing. RaceTech says they have a small collection of rebuild parts but since Works Performance is gone, they can't get any more parts, so they may or may not have the pieces to rebuild my shocks.

Traxxion Dynamics recommends Bitubos for shocks, even over more expensive offerings they sell, such as Penske.

Options available:

* Roll the dice and see if RaceTech can rebuild the existing shocks for $300 and punt on getting new shocks for another few years
* Buy Bitubos for something like $500 for a pair
* Buy one of the many higher end offerings: Penske, Ohlins, RaceTech G3-S, Nitron, etc... which all look to be around a grand for a pair

I'm leaning to the Bitubo option, mostly because I can keep dealing with Traxxion Dynamics because they are so much nicer to deal with than any other suspension company I've talked to.

Sadly due to the aftermarket exhaust and sidecar mounts I can't really go with a piggyback style external reservoir so I'm limited in choices.

Any other options I'm missing? Anything jumps out as the best option to everyone?

The Bitubos are fine, go with those.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

32 is effectively track pressures. I run 28/28 on my sumo (260 pounds), 34/34 on anything in the 300 pound range, 36/38 on the 400 pound range and 38/40 on 500+ / high HP bikes.

Running low pressures will just burn out your tires faster and make the bike slower steering. Doesn't really add a significant amount of traction for street use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can try cleaning it with a narrow gauge feeler gauge - may fix it. Just pop the dust seal off and run it around the inside.

Then replace your suspension with the tractive stuff. :getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm very confused by all the people not using their nice earbuds with their Senas.

I use etymotic kids cause they're small, cheap, and if I ruin a set I don't care. Plugged directly into SENA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I don't like using long tire irons on dirtbike tires cause you almost always pinch the tube when you overinsert the lever and the longer irons make that easier. Besides that, two spare HD tubes of the appropriate size placed close to the tire are critical to warding off the bad spirits.

Besides that, usual rules apply, lever over a small amount of tire at a time, keep it in the drop center. Rimlocks are a pain in the rear end too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

If it didn't suddenly change, it's fine. I obsess and pester this forum a lot about electric bikes (please stay with me), but one of the things I noticed while riding the Zero back to back with a gas bike, (the Zero has a fanbelt-like carbon thing instead of a chain) was the huge chain noise at lower revs or close to something that reflected sound like a highway divider. "Sizzling bacon" is a typical descrption of a fine chain, I believe courtesy of Z3n, but the Zero only had an electric swoosh and what I would describe as the sound of silk tugging at gold, which is what carbon fanbelts sound like when you twist the electric wrist.

Sorry about the electropreaching there, your , if it didn't suddenly change, is probably fine.

The wet slorch of a freshly lubed chain on an electric bike is a majestic thing to hear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Road attacks come in those sizes too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Push one corner through and then use pliers to pull it through once you can grab most of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

interwhat posted:

Anyone know where I can find a donor damping rod for a 96 CBR600f3? Adjustment screw seized and consequently is destroyed. I’ve tried RaceTech and Iron Pony here in Columbus, OH.

Ps, thanks for the spelling heads up, previous poster. My forks were in fact dampening, hence the rebuild

Ebay, you probably will just have an easier time buying the full fork setup. Other, newer forks may swap in as well, usually there's threads on this on model specific forums.

Horse Clocks posted:

It’s time for my bikes first service. Do I take it to the (independent) dealer I bought it from, or find somewhere else?

There seems to be some distrust for dealership mechanics here, but given the rarity (Mondial HPS 125), size and Chinese factory origins, I suspect I might struggle to find a mechanic who’ll work on it.

On top of the small modifications i want done, Is there anything I should get the mechanic to do in the first service that they might not usually do? Someone at a pub told me to specify I wanted a hybrid oil, but that was someone at a pub.

Just take it to the independent you bought it from.

Also post more pictures of it, their website sucks and I'd love to see close ups.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

high six posted:

The light in the speedometer of my 2002 Honda Shadow Ace went out (While riding home at night, of course). I'm new to motorcycles in general, much less tinkering with them, so I thought it'd be a good learning opportunity to fix it myself. I tried to remove it so I could replace the bulb. Disconnected the speedometer, after taking pictures so I could reconnect the several colored cables (held to the speedometer by screws) in the proper way.

Turns out I need another tool to pull the speedometer apart, so went to put it back in. Couldn't get the screws back in the back of the speedometer so now it just doesn't work at all. It was like they weren't catching on anything when I am trying to screw them in, for some reason. Is there something special I need to do to get them back in there? I feel like kind of an idiot but something seems really wrong and the service manual wasn't any help as far as I could tell.

Here's some pictures of where they went on the back of the speedometer as well as one of the screws itself.

https://imgur.com/a/6TPS7Zp

Ahh, you're learning this lesson the hard way: You don't actually need to remove those screws. Just gently tug the black rubber light mount out, and replace the light. All done!

Unfortunately, you've probably borked your speedo by removing those bolts, because they probably mount on the other side to the internal part that holds the speedo assemble in / with tension.

Probably easier to just snag an assembly off ebay or the like. but you can also try to repair it via more disassembly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pokie posted:

Can anyone tell why the gently caress I lost traction here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qonUq_-LOY&t=26s

Looks like you broke the golden rule and added lean angle and gas at the same time. You entered the corner at 43mph, were at the midpoint where the slide happened at 45mph. It's _possible_ that it's due to the change in tire size as you leaned it over but I don't think it'd be that significant at that pace.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pokie posted:

Cool, thanks for all the teachings, folks.

I tried it in practice today by getting my rear to lose traction in the rain on purpose. Yup extra throttle while leaning can do that. Good to know.

Out of curiosity - how practical is the trail braking stuff from the video that builds character linked outside of racing? In the twisties I just don't see myself gunning for a turn so hard that I need to apply brakes through the turn for the apex.

I like to trail the brakes or be off the gas until I can see the exit of the corner on the street. Once I know I'm clear, transition to maintenance throttle, then power out as I lift the bike up.

Ping me, let's go for a ride sometime, I can walk you through it over the intercoms.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you need the bike, I'd do it and order the proper stuff and flush it with it when you get it. If you don't need the bike, who knows what weird additive package Magura uses, safest to just use the OEM stuff. KTM clutch cylinders are so finicky for so many people, I've never had a problem using the OEM stuff, so I tend towards superstition on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why would they not use brake fluid like every other hydraulic clutch I've seen?

Who the gently caress knows. Probably so they can sell expensive mineral oil.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Motion pro digital gauge. Expensive but dead on and will last forever. 60 psi one works across all bikes. Mine has been used regularly, banged about in toolboxes and backpacks, and generally mistreated for about 6 years and still claims full battery life.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2019

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tirinal posted:

A truly ridiculous question, but batteries aren't my thing. I picked up an AGM battery (one of the ones here: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/powersports/agm-batteries) that was trickle charged to full by the dealer, but then I had to leave town before sticking it in the bike.

How long will it hold a charge, just sitting in a garage? I should be back in two weeks and I'm wondering if it will still be good to go.

It's fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You'll be fine. On bikes with magnetic drain plugs it's normal to see the whole magnet encrusted in metal chips, on the first oil change it often looks absolutely catastrophic.

The S1000XR has 67k or so miles on it now, and every time I change the oil (5k miles or so) I've got a little halo of metal chunky poo poo on the drain plug. I don't know where the metal is coming from, but clearly it hasn't hurt the bike any.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Have you fitted your 'updated' chain tensioner aka longer bolt so it doesn't cam chain rattle (as much) on cold starts?

Good example of Germans looking at honda and deciding they can go one better.

Ha, yeah, I did that at like 15k or so cause the rattle on startup was maddening.

It's still maddening - I just put the earplugs in before I start it now. I might tear it down this weekend to check valves, re-align the cams, and do spark plugs / other 75k mile maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Soda blast it.

I'd leave the oil in it, it's not gonna hurt it, just change it before you run it in the future.