Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are you buying new? Or beholden to your local used market? How about a klx230 or a xt250.

But I also support an e-bike, like a rad power wagon or something. Just don’t go down big hills with stock brakes.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

See if your Honda dealer has any of the new Navis there as well.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A licensed motorcycle rider in the US? Never heard of it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

What kind of janky-rear end state can't unequivocally define and communicate a legal path to training and motorcycle ownership? FFS that makes me genuinely mad.

Because in the land of freedumb, if you can afford it (or finance at 20%), you can ride.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Something like 20% of all motorcyclists in America don't have a motorcycle license/endorsement. That is why everyone is confused about what you're asking.

I think this is a stat i saw on google, but I bet because of how they measured this, it's under reported.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 15, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This is facts still - people are figuring out the electronics though and have overridden it.
I don't feel the bike is geared poorly at all. I personally don't want to change it - don't want to lower the top end RPMs as the bike would lose acceleration at highway speeds. I already often drop to 5th if I want to pass, it does so at an OK clip. I wouldn't go the other way either as the bike already runs pretty high RPMs on the highway.
First gear is short but...it's an ADV.

I'm not too worried about power. It was just a question. I am not trying to win any races. I was thinking it may "struggle" if I take it through the mountains in PA with luggage - but when I say struggle I mean I would have to plan passing

Oh no you have to change gears and think about what you’re doing on the road??

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My psi refuses to go down even when I have abandoned my bike for an entire month. Something about the Rosso 3s maybe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You will love the angel gts if you’re looking for a tippier tire. In fact any sporty pirelli. Putting on the rosso 3s changed my MT03 considerably (to be more fun).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That is stupendous advice :lol:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sorry I was catching up, meant the guy who said to wheelie to cure whisky throttle. Can’t think of a good way to put it in a title.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Apply throttle directly to forehead.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

How functional do y'all suppose Apple's Crash Detection works in a street bike context?

The GPS trackers always seemed like overkill for my riding which is 100% public 99% paved roads. I've never owned an Apple phone because I see no reason to learn a new mobile OS but since flagship phones have stagnated in the past few years Crash Detection is the kind of feature I'd switch for, if it works.

https://www.specialized.com/ch/en/stories/angi

I ride with this sensor from specialized stuck onto the back of my motorcycle helmet. Funny enough I don’t have it on my bicycle helmets.

Gives my wife some piece of mind while I’m out brapping around. It uses an accelerometer to detect crashes. There is even a test mode in the app to try it out if you want to toss/shake your helmet violently. If it detects a crash, you have a 15-90 seconds (you can set this) to disable the alarm before it sends your coordinates to your specified contact via text or email. You download a free app and you hit go before your ride, there is an option to gps record the ride if you want.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I had to do the screw driver through the filter after I let someone else change my oil the very first time. Never again.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m currently chalking this up to not riding in a few weeks… but still worth asking. You know the buzzy hands feeling you get after a ride sometimes? Would anything mechanically wrong make buzzing worse (loose handlebars etc)? I usually get this after 3+ hours of riding especially at 60mph+, but today I was only out for half that (1.5 hours) and had that sensation after. 20 min of this was even just parking lot drills.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ok I’ll check some of the obvious bolts up front but it’s likely nothing. Maybe just stayed really on the boil today, got pretty lucky with traffic in the twisties.

It doesn’t bother me from the discomfort perspective enough to do anything, just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a safety thing I might be overlooking.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 30, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I never wait for my questions to be answered and just pulled the trigger on a set of rosso 3's

I’ve got rosso 3s on my MT03 and they transformed the bike from the stock meh tires. So fun and tippy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Snell has a table with all the helmets, sizes, and certifications. You can read the M2020 and M2015 standards. Just a quick skimming seems like the testing is the same for full and open face helmets, with the only difference being they don't do visor or chin bar tests on an open face helmet. It seems like they have been doing open face helmets for at least 10 years, which seems odd to me! Maybe it makes sense in a car but definitely not a bike. Given the context, if he's still even considering an open face helmet I'm not sure what you can do to convince him otherwise. The only helmet I know of for sale in the US that is both Snell and ECE 22.06 is the Shoei X-15, which is probably not his style or price range.

Here's some videos about "modern" helmet design. Two different approaches for the same idea: reducing rotational velocity to reduce brain injury (not just protecting the skull)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk94MdHGSPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD754n6YwjI

The new contour (quantic in EU) from Arai seems to also be both snell and ece 22.06.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the breakdown. Haha it’s maddening. I’ll probably just get an RF1400 anyway next year.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pirelli Rosso 4s

Angel GTs if you want more tire life

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I changed my oil recently on the MT03. Manual says it takes a 2.1L including the oil filter. I put in ~1.9L (changed filter of course) and the sight glass has it coming up to almost the top oil line. I tried the stand several different spots to make sure i wasn't on tilted ground. Going with the measurement you can actually see in the sight glass is the way to go right? Instead of trusting that Mobil 1 filled the quarts exactly - although weird for them to overfill. I guess the other factor could be the K&N filters are slightly smaller than the Yamaha ones?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah I took it out for an hour ride after the oil change and it is still looking good on the sight glass so I’ll just stop overthinking it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOD-Yg8Vgo

I'm the dummy here right? I assumed the driver was slowing to turn left at the cross street, but should've waited a bit longer before passing.

Seems like you were expecting them to turn left but they didn’t. Not sure if I would try to pass on the right in that spot even if that car was turning right either.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 2, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I see where you’re confused, that’s not actually an electrical diagram, that’s a map to the dealership.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Question thread: Assembly is the reverse of disassembly except that you swear in different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Navi is a great option.

Also what about just a bicycle for getting to work? 2 miles is perfect distance for that, get an ebike if you want to make it even more fun.