Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Ethanol is even showing up in Canada. I think Shell is the only station that is ethanol free AFAIK, but I would like info if others aren't (or Shell isn't).

Shell Gold/V-Power is 100% ethanol free, I used to use it on the Honda until I realized what a waste of money it was. IIRC the Silver and Regular have 10% and 5% added. Not sure about other brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

However I haven't seen anything about V-Power being ethanol free? The pumps just say gas contains 10% ethanol, they don't break it down by their octane rating.
A) it's on the pump
B) it's on their website: http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can-en/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/shell_vpower/

I was replying to a fellow Canuck :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man, buncha alcohol snobs all up ITT.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Two electrical questions: a PO replaced the stock turn signals with LEDs on my 2007 Bandit. On Sunday, the instructor I had for my road test said during a pre-ride inspection that I should really have a relay for them. Is that standard?

Also another PO put heated grips on, and it looks like they're wired straight into the electrical system, since I can turn them on without the bike on. Obviously not a good thing! How would they normally connect up?

I haven't had any garage time with the bike yet since buying it a month ago, so I'm thinking of things to work on next time I'm down at my folks', which should be Canadian Thanksgiving in early October if the weather's good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Question about heated grips: my Bandit came with Oxford Heaterz grips, wired directly to the battery. This didn't cause me any troubles until I left them on one Friday night and didnt go use my bike til Sunday, at which point the bike wouldn't turn over. I stuck the battery on the charger for about 10 minutes, which was enough to get it started and on my way. However, now the grips won't get warm anymore. It's weird.

I tracked down the manual, which claims that the controller will shut itself off when the voltage drops below 11.5 volts. When I checked the battery after I left the grips on, it was around 12 V. After an overnight charge, it's around 13.5 V, but the grips still won't get warm. The green On light on the controller comes on, but none of the 4 power level lights will.

Any ideas on how to track the issue down? I took the controller and all the other wiring off for now, but I was thinking of putting it all back temporarily this weekend and trying to turn them on while the battery is hooked up to a bigger charger.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Is there a plastic equivalent for re-creating threads? I seem to have gorilla fisted the screws on my CB400T's airbox. :/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The continuing saga of my CB400T and its various connectors continues. I couldn't get the bottom carb boot bolt off because my first go at it with a 12 point wrench rounded off the corners enough that it wouldn't catch. Tried to Dremel in a slot, but quickly realized that I'd be cutting into the boot to make the slot wide enough. :v: OK dummy, I said, I have to take the head off anyway, I'll worry about that bolt when I can get a better angle on it.

So today I made a nice wide cut horizontally across the bolt, grabbed the impact driver to try to remove the sucker, and...nothing. From the looks of it, all I've managed to do is twist the bottom of my driver heads a bit. :( No idea how the gently caress this thing got on this tight.

My first idea is to cut off the boot to expose the threads and get some BP Blaster or teflon down there. Any other ideas, or is that pretty much the best option at this point?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I have two sets, which would be better for this?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Use the ones on the right, the needle nose ones will just twist off. Clamp the poo poo out of it and twist. When (not if) the bolt head shears off, get the other bolt off and the boot off, grab the shaft of the sheared bolt with the vise grips, put a torch to the block and work the bolt out.

Couple of good whacks with my rubber mallet on the vise-grips did the trick, enough to see that the head moved and then I could just get it out with my wide screwdriver. The other bolts had come off fine, just this last one was being a bitch.

Going to check the hole threads on this one with my Dad's tap & die set just in case. Already have a set of spare bolts ready to go.

Thanks for all the good advice, CA! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In the Honda service manual for my CB400T, it says to "Apply liquid sealant to the head-contacting faces of the camshaft holders" when putting the camshaft/rocker assembly back together. The Clymer of course makes no mention of the sealant :v:

What the heck kind of sealant are they talking about?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'll assume that's something cool. But gently caress those guys:

There's no way to dismiss that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's a whole site dedicated to them (and I've contributed a few) http://tabcloseddidntread.com

The advertising gurus will tell you it "increases conversions up to 80%!" so gullible site owners will do it. They stupid and annoying and on more sites than ever now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always leave the gas in the bowls over the winter, but drain in the spring for the first start up.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

That's like draining your battery in the fall, and charging it in the spring. As long as you're going to drain the carbs, do it when the fuel in the carbs is fresh. Draining in the spring is.. useless.

It's not even close to being the same thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Frosty- posted:

When we say "drain the carbs," we mean "turn petcock to 'off' and run it 'till it dies," right?

Or use the drain screws on the bottom of the carbs.

I drain them in the Spring using the screws to get fresh fuel from the tank into the bowls. Otherwise the thing won't start. Has worked every time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Our superior Scandinavian artisanal gas is made only from grass-fed Brontosaurii and aged in the finest depots.
Brontosaurus is Greek, not Latin.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I want to say it was just the seat, because I had to stop and take breaks after every 45-60 minutes of riding on the Ninja 250 due to major rear end soreness. The only bike I've ever been on was the 250 so that's why I was curious if that's just a notoriously uncomfortable bike or if that's what I can expect from about every other bike in that class / budget range. When I spent a couple hours on a little 50cc scooter, not once did the seat or position ever become uncomfortable.

In your previous post, you said a 150cc scooter wouldn't keep up on the highway; solution is a bigger scooter like 250 or so.

You also said something about looking for a more comfortable sport bike, why not look at standards?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mainks posted:

Will my 01 SV650's battery explode if I leave it in there over winter? Unheated garage (see: dilapidated shed) in Iowa.

Why not take it out and keep it inside on a tender?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CraigSlice posted:

Motorcycle covers, yes or no?

I live at an apartment in el paso, so unfortunately my bike is outdoor all the time and have heard opinions for having and not having one.

Covers are good. Keeps people from prying and protects from dust and sun.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

What weight oil do you guys generally use for the motor?

What it says in the manual.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Granted the wine is better as a coolant than the oil.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I just can't believe you guys live in a country where vehicle owners are expected to carry paper registration documents on their person/in their vehicle. Are there no computers in the US?

IDK how big the things in the US are, but my proof of insurance and registration papers aren't particularly big. I keep them in the insurance broker-supplied holder and I only have it on me when I'm on the bike, they're both about the size of a credit card.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 1, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Is NZ licensing done at the federal level? Cuz it sure as poo poo ain't done that way in Canada and the USA.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What is federal level?

There is a NZ transport agency. It's a government department that deals with DMV stuff et al.
That's what I was getting at: you have one country-wide agency that handles this stuff. Canada, Australia and the USA handle the licensing at the state/provincial level. When I lived in Alberta you could get your learner's permit at 14 and do your full license/road test at 16. In Ontario now the minimum age for the permit is 16.
When I lived in Massachusetts, car insurance was mandatory, and in neighboring state Rhode Island it wasn't. (Which seemed completely insane to me at the time. It also meant I was extra careful driving around there)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum: Did You Buy A Multimeter Yet?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

If earbuds slip out (but aren't punching out your eardrums with a helmet on like the etymotic ones did to me), you might also try a slick helmet liner. It works like noggin-lube so the earbuds are less likely to pull out when you put on your helmet. Someone said they have $6 ones at Cycle Gear, so maybe give that a try.

Raci-babi.com has wicking helmet liners, and I have one and love it. If you have hair that goes all helmety and you don't like that, they also help keep your hair from getting frigged up.

I find I can't wear anything on my head under my helmet, it just feels uncomfortable. So any in-ear buds that stick out a little won't jive my my helmet. Even the supposedly decent cheapo Monoprice ones had too much sticking out and I couldn't get my helmet on without knocking them out:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

The most comfortable earbuds I've found for wearing under my helmet are the cheapo JVC HAFX32B marshmallow buds, like these: http://www.frys.com/product/7860499?source=google&gclid=CLLN-NLzo8UCFYWTvQodbpAABA

They block sound about as well as foam Hearos, and don't protrude enough to have issues with the helmet pressing on then and causing pain or them getting pulled out when putting my helmet on (pro-tip, make sure when putting on the helmet to grab the straps and pull them as much as you can away from the opening of the helmet; this smushes the liner around the ear area and makes it less likely it will drag the buds out of your ears).

Yeah, my cheapo iLuv brand ones always fit fine. For comparison:

I've wanted to try the mod where you use proper foam earplugs, hollow out the inside, and stick the earbuds in them. Sounds like a best of both worlds deal.

Eh, I still like having the analog volume control on the cord handy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

Small question: Do mirrors more or less use all the same mounting options?

My right one has gone all floppy, as looking at the bolt assembly isn't flush with the stalk and has some cracks in the housing. Most Kawasaki mirrors look like they just screw onto the handlebars, but do I need to worry about the bolt size? as I don't know whether to hunt for a 100% match or just get a new pair of whatever fits.

If you're shopping in person, just take one in to the store with you.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Warning: this forum has a gold fringe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Anyone know a good Canadian site for old parts?

I buy lots of stuff from Sirius Inc. http://siriusconinc.com. Would rather depend on what bike you have.

And frankly Bike Bandit for other stuff they don't have. It's usually small stuff so the shipping/duty ain't bad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Depending on how close you are to Kitchener, also try dropping by Zdeno http://zdenocycle.ca they have lots of misc. stuff lying around.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The running conditions weren't the least harsh possible, but I still don't know what went wrong. There was oil in the engine. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvUj2M-wRHQ

Fuckin' runaway tire @ 4:19!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The recommended pressure on my Bandit is 36/36 psi, and when the shop put new tires on it last year I think they had them at 45/45 psi. Like WTF.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Would anyone happen to know the thread size/pitch for a 1981 honda cm400t brake caliper bleeder bolt? Trying to help a friend with a vintage bike and finding little bits of info like that is a bitch. Motorcycle superstore has m7, m8, and m10 sizes as options.
Part #'s match my CB400, so you're looking at a M7 x 1.0 pitch.

You could also try a Speedbleeder SB7100. There's also a place up here in Canadia that has a replacement part http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cm400t/?q=73-0995

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 13, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Right on.

Also get yer friend on http://www.hondatwins.net if they're not already. Lots of good info about parts etc.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 14, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So that last knock over did a bit more damage than just the turn signal:

The bar end weight got enough of a push that it bent the bolt holding it on, giving me a half-assed cruise control :v: (fixed that by swapping bolts for now, will replace the bent one when I get home)

Can the bars be bent back into line or is that a replacement item?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
^ I bet the bent bars would hurt when applied vigorously to, say, an elbow or knee.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

epalm posted:

Edit: bonus question, which will sit better through the 6 month Canadian snowstorm? Or am I an idiot for purchasing a battery in October at all.
If you're not riding it over the winter, bring it inside and throw it on a tender. They're like $40 or less. Hell, I think the Can Tire one I got for $25 on some weekend sale a year or two ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pfft. Front brakes? Those things will kill ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

Any Canadians here that live in the GTA? I'm looking to buy Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's next riding season and get rid of the rock hard stock tires. Any local stores which are relatively cheap to order from? I know GP Bikes in Whitby. Has anyone ever ordered, well, anything from canadamotorcycles.ca?

Ordered any number of things from Canada's Motorcycle, had no issues. You could also try Royal Distributing out in Whitby. I go to the Guelph store all the time. Bought tires for the old Honda from them, they had the best price at the time.