Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

Got caught in a huge thunderstorm at like 2am this morning riding home. It was warm tho. Riding in warm rain is... kinda nice? I just need little wiper blades for my helmet.

And now you know how awesome a golden shower must feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

I have a problem with mine. The electrons seem to be flowing from minus to plus, shouldn't they flow from plus to minus?

Common problem, you need to fill the battery with acid before you use it. I should suggest coca-cola, because it doubles as a rust remover.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Ola posted:

I have a problem with mine. The electrons seem to be flowing from minus to plus, shouldn't they flow from plus to minus?

Calm down now, that's science-talkin' there

I don't know nothin' about any of that cityslicker poo poo

*spits out chew* :bahgawd:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

And now you know how awesome a golden shower feels.

Be honest.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Be honest.

I don't ride an SR400, so the shame aspect is missing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Another unrelated question I just thought of. If I do get the thing and (knock on wood) ever have to lay it down, is the thing more, or less, likely to be nonfunctional after the fall/require really expensive repairs?

Maybe just a pet peeve of mine, but you shouldn't ever "have to lay it down" or "go into a controlled slide" or that kind of thing. Even if you get into a bad place, there is no situation where the bike will stop sooner sliding on smooth plastic and hard chrome than it would have if you'd kept the thing upright with weight on the tires. It's always better to steer out of the way and brake hard and for as long as possible -- hopefully you'll avoid the accident entirely, but if nothing else, then at least when the bike dumps or hits something you've scrubbed off a lot of energy. This is why the MSF had you do those last-second swerves and threshold braking exercises.

I've actually thought about it, and there are only two situations I can come up with where it'd be a better idea to tip the bike over:

1/ you had total brake failure and you were about to go over a giant cliff that you couldn't steer away from for some reason and your riding position was such that you couldn't just let go of the bars and try to jump backwards off the bike.

2/ you had total brake failure and you were about to go under a semi trailer that you couldn't steer away from for some reason and at normal riding height you take the full force with your head and chest, so breaking your legs in a slide is preferable to decapitation.

If anyone else can come up with another situation where the best outcome is letting a four hundred pound vehicle fall on top of your legs and sliding around for a while, please let me know

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 25, 2015

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe just a pet peeve of mine, but you shouldn't ever "have to lay it down" or "go into a controlled slide" or that kind of thing. Even if you get into a bad place, there is no situation where the bike will stop sooner sliding on smooth plastic and hard chrome than it would have if you'd kept the thing upright with weight on the tires. It's always better to steer out of the way and brake hard and for as long as possible -- hopefully you'll avoid the accident entirely, but if nothing else, then at least when the bike dumps or hits something you've scrubbed off a lot of energy. This is why the MSF had you do those last-second swerves and threshold braking exercises.

I've actually thought about it, and there are only two situations I can come up with where it'd be a better idea to tip the bike over:

1/ you had total brake failure and you were about to go over a giant cliff that you couldn't steer away from for some reason and your riding position was such that you couldn't just let go of the bars and try to jump backwards off the bike.

2/ you had total brake failure and you were about to go under a semi trailer that you couldn't steer away from for some reason and at normal riding height you take the full force with your head and chest, so breaking your legs in a slide is preferable to decapitation.

If anyone else can come up with another situation where the best outcome is letting a four hundred pound vehicle fall on top of your legs and sliding around for a while, please let me know

oh man I sure do love hearing Harley riders tell me how they "had to lay 'er down"

where is that CHOPPERS CHOPPERS CHOPPERS RIDIN' FREE rant

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I guess I was using a learned euphemism by mistake; the only time a bike went sideways under me was downhill in fresh rain once when someone stopped in front of me and I didn't really know how to stay in control while losing traction yet. (Still don't, since it's been some ten years since I've ridden, but hey yo.) I've never really considered actually intentionally going over. My bad.

I meant more to ask if electric bikes are more or less vulnerable than combustion bikes to catastrophic damage from slides or minor collisions or whatever. (I'm kinda guessing "not really, anything hard enough that would gently caress one would gently caress the other" but figured I'd ask :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 25, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It's pretty much only the "sliding under an obstacle" action movie scenario that works. But I don't think you've quite reached the crux of the matter. "I had to lay'er down" is a phrase that the rider uses to give himself agency. He says the situation was so bad, his only good choice was to crash on purpose, while the truth is that he crashed without wanting to crash. If he says " I crashed, I didn't want to, I am sad" he's a useless wimp. If he says "hadda layer dan" he is the motorcycling Captain "Sully" Sullenberger. They crash without wanting to, then say they did it on purpose to seem tough.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I am in CHARGE of this crash. Never were the circumstances beyond the grasp of my intellect or the immune to my manipulation. My undisputed act of masculine initiative and ambition thus refuted more than 100 years of feminist ideology. I am your hero now, you're welcome, internet.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pfft. Front brakes? Those things will kill ya!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

oh man I sure do love hearing Harley riders tell me how they "had to lay 'er down"

where is that CHOPPERS CHOPPERS CHOPPERS RIDIN' FREE rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbzn6cbZyYo

I know one of you made this but I don't know who

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ciaphas posted:

I guess I was using a learned euphemism by mistake; the only time a bike went sideways under me was downhill in fresh rain once when someone stopped in front of me and I didn't really know how to stay in control while losing traction yet. (Still don't, since it's been some ten years since I've ridden, but hey yo.) I've never really considered actually intentionally going over. My bad.

I meant more to ask if electric bikes are more or less vulnerable than combustion bikes to catastrophic damage from slides or minor collisions or whatever. (I'm kinda guessing "not really, anything hard enough that would gently caress one would gently caress the other" but figured I'd ask :v:)

My friend low sided his Brammo which went front wheel first into a curb, snapping the frame in half.

We bought a new frame and front end and basically everything was usable minus those parts. Most of the time there's few exposed parts that would be seriously damaged in an accident, and with no gas/oil to start fires crashes tend to be pretty sedate from a parts recovery standpoint.

I think I posted about it in my project thread.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Deeters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbzn6cbZyYo

I know one of you made this but I don't know who

:laffo:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Z3n posted:

My friend low sided his Brammo which went front wheel first into a curb, snapping the frame in half.

We bought a new frame and front end and basically everything was usable minus those parts. Most of the time there's few exposed parts that would be seriously damaged in an accident, and with no gas/oil to start fires crashes tend to be pretty sedate from a parts recovery standpoint.

I think I posted about it in my project thread.

Cool, thanks for the input. Fun looking at your project post too, though I'm bound to admit I'm useless with anything more complicated than a screwdriver :v:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Any Canadians here that live in the GTA? I'm looking to buy Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's next riding season and get rid of the rock hard stock tires. Any local stores which are relatively cheap to order from? I know GP Bikes in Whitby. Has anyone ever ordered, well, anything from canadamotorcycles.ca?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

Challenge accepted. :colbert:

You're on one of those big overpasses and lose control and if you hit the cement barrier you'll go catapulting over 100 feet down. Checkmate atheitism.

I know it's the same as the cliff. Don't layer Dan.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
You guys are forgetting the layerdan situation of locking up the rear brake where the novice rider chooses whether to try and save the slide risking a high side at the chance of a no-crash scenario or keeping it locked and allowing a likely lowside. Of course, like the cliff, you've pretty much already crashed, you're just getting to decide on how and I somehow doubt most people get to have the consciousness to decide when.

Ola posted:

The electrons should flow from neg. to pos. You're good, breh. (how did no one catch this?)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Verge posted:

The electrons should flow from neg. to pos. You're good, breh. (how did no one catch this?)

I think everyone assumed it was a cheap joke.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can always tell who has a multimeter and who hasn't.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

Any Canadians here that live in the GTA? I'm looking to buy Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's next riding season and get rid of the rock hard stock tires. Any local stores which are relatively cheap to order from? I know GP Bikes in Whitby. Has anyone ever ordered, well, anything from canadamotorcycles.ca?

Ordered any number of things from Canada's Motorcycle, had no issues. You could also try Royal Distributing out in Whitby. I go to the Guelph store all the time. Bought tires for the old Honda from them, they had the best price at the time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Verge posted:

locking up the rear brake

like the cliff, you've pretty much already crashed

Hmm

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Is there a secret recipe to getting a fuel-injected bike to start in the cold? In Washington, so its been getting pretty nippy outside, and my bike refuses to turn over unless I wheel it into the kitchen and point a couple of space heaters at it for an hour. Wasn't a problem with my old carbureted bike as long as choke was applied, but without choke I'm kinda lost on what to do.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

EkardNT posted:

Is there a secret recipe to getting a fuel-injected bike to start in the cold? In Washington, so its been getting pretty nippy outside, and my bike refuses to turn over unless I wheel it into the kitchen and point a couple of space heaters at it for an hour. Wasn't a problem with my old carbureted bike as long as choke was applied, but without choke I'm kinda lost on what to do.
How old is your battery?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EkardNT posted:

It's supposed to sort that out by itself, something might be wrong. If it sounds like it's cranking slower than normal, it could be an aging battery. If many other owners of the bike says it starts poorly in the cold, maybe it's badly designed. But chances are that something is wrong with it and it's not giving a rich enough mixture when cold. First thing to check is the owner's forum + cold start or similar search query.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks goons, threw a new battery on the charger and will try it out when full.

Gillingham posted:

How old is your battery?

Well PO said he'd changed it "recently", but couldn't remember the exact date, so worst case... 12 years old.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

If many other owners of the bike says it starts poorly in the cold, maybe it's badly designed.

ducati.txt

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

EkardNT posted:

Is it a Ducati and is it exactly 0 C?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Oh yeah this is a thing.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Good riding day down here in the South. 75 degrees and partly cloudy, so I took a 100 mile ride down to a beautiful plantation for afternoon wine. I literally live in a story book.

Of course then 30 minutes later I realize I left the lights on, and when I get ready to leave 3 hours later the bike won't start. No problem, my wife brought down the pickup truck! Oh wait, I don't know how to strap the drat thing down. Oh wait, we only have 2 straps. Well, after talking to a few people who did know, we got it pretty well secured in the bed of the truck... until I was nearly home. About 5 minutes out from home it tips over and spends the rest of the trip held in place by the straps and the handlebars.

It's a light bike (CB500F) but what should I check out before riding it next, since it was leaning on the handle bars (it didn't actually fall over or damage anything I noticed, I have probably held a lean in a turn steeper than it was tilted)?

Also, any recommendations on straps and a non-permanent solution for putting the bike in the truck? I was looking at front wheel chocks, but my wife probably doesn't want me permanently mounting something in the back of the truck.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Why wouldn't you just jump start it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

a) The bike is fine.
b) Strap to unsprung bits first, like the rear of the swing arm, front axle, frame near the kickstand etc. Make one strap pull forward and another backward.
c) Bow to superior European wiring where the light is always on but always switches off with ignition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

That's aprilia.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As a Ducati owner :smug:, my Ducati starts fine in cold weather. But I have to turn the fast idle on when restarting it even when it's hot because some sensor takes like 40 seconds to start working after startup and it doesn't inject properly.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Why wouldn't you just jump start it?

No jumper cables handy, or else I would've.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

No jumper cables handy, or else I would've.

Why don't you push it up a hill, turn the key to the ON position, sit on it, roll it down the hill, drop it in first and dump the clutch and give it a little gas and watch as it springs to life?

also it's probably fine

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Why don't you push it up a hill, turn the key to the ON position, sit on it, roll it down the hill, drop it in first and dump the clutch and give it a little gas and watch as it springs to life?

also it's probably fine

No hills either. Living on the coast means nice weather, no hills.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

No hills either. Living on the coast means nice weather, no hills.

a running start would be fine too, if you're comfortable with running alongside it and jumping on, riding along on one peg as it starts up

been there done that

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Tactical Lesbian posted:

a running start would be fine too, if you're comfortable with running alongside it and jumping on, riding along on one peg as it starts up

been there done that

I thought about doing that, but there wasn't a whole lot of space where I was (and most of it was mud). Good idea though. Good to know the bike is fine, I'll just have to toss the battery on the charger. Not too worried about that.

Also move to an area with hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

SquadronROE posted:

I thought about doing that, but there wasn't a whole lot of space where I was (and most of it was mud). Good idea though. Good to know the bike is fine, I'll just have to toss the battery on the charger. Not too worried about that.

Also move to an area with hills.

This obviously doesn't help you today, but get yourself one of these and keep it in your tailbag/whatever. It's megahandy.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000R-Rosso-Portable-Starter/dp/B00D42AFS8

We've jumpstarted a diesel truck with it, and it's awesome when you travel to keep your electronics charged. It will also safely jumpstart a bike. Thing is worth the money.