Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a suggestion for tires for a '04 Ninja 500? I'm not sure what to get at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a good site to order Pirelli's from? Since tire express doesn't carry them.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kcer posted:

I got the clutch adjusted on my YZF today, and while it's better positionally, it still feels like a light switch. The problem is the only means of comparison I have it the 500cc I did my lessons and test on.

If you hold up your hand and cover your index finger so only the very last joint can move, the amount that it moves through is how much I have to move the clutch lever to go from stationary to fully open.

Is this the norm?

I'm not sure if it's the norm but your bike should have some sort of play adjuster. All you need to do is push the lever away from you while you sit on the bike and turn that adjuster. Then just turn on the bike and see how you like the play.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok some crazy poo poo has been happening on my bike.

It's completely shut down 4 times now in the past two days. The first 3 times where the same day. Twice while riding on the highway the first time it started right back up the second it was out for a good 10 mins. The third time was after I got to my destination from riding on the highway. The 4th was when I got home from work yesterday. The high trip was Tuesday.

Checked my oil it was fine.

I have no idea what else it could be. One thing I can tell you the second time when it was out for a bit it was as if the battery was out or dead there was no neutral light or anything then the neutral light randomly came on and I was able to start it again. If its the battery wouldn't it not have enough charge to start the bike after it shut off. It's really cold out lately but I've never heard of a battery running out while a bike was running I thought it was impossible.

Any ideas? I will be taking it to a shop Saturday but I'd like to have some idea what's going on so I don't get taken for a rube.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Have you checked your battery? Possabily the terminals are lose. I've seen that happen.

When I took out the battery to trickle charge it last night the screws were tight so loose terminals is out. And having ridden with a loose terminal on my old battery(the screw on the positive terminal was stripped) I know that my 500 just stays on with not lights but the motor keeps running but I'm not sure if it was because the terminal would only jiggle around a bit and turn off the lights.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What are some good summer tires for a ninja 500? I want something sporty if possible.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sweet thanks the sport demons were the ones I was thinking of getting.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there any websites that help you plan a trip? I want to ride over to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP race from New Jersy but planning a 3000 mile trip is daunting to me. Also how many miles is reasonable to cover in a day?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thank's for the MapPoint suggestion PlasticSun definitely going to check it out. I'm going to be making the trip on a ninja 500 and I've done 200 miles without a complaint on boring Jersey highways. This is going to be a good project for me to undertake. The whole planning thing I mean. The riding is the easy part. I think.

Edit: What are some must rides along the way? I figure I can hit some on the way there and plan another route on the way back.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 23, 2009

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

New tire time! I need something for some hard riding on a ninja 500. I'm going a bit nuts before my trip to California.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What's a good amount of miles to put on new tires before taking them through the wringer? I'm getting my Pirelli's put on as we speak. I'm pretty excited for traction!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What are my options for a full exhaust on my ex500? My cans are scraped and rusted from an accident where a friend crashed my bike and I think it's finally time to get rid of that poo poo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok so I got my bike into the 100+ regions last night first time up there since I got new tires. It was wobbly as loving and kind of scary. I'm on a ninja 500 on pireli sport demons. When I was up there with the OEM tires it was never wobbly like that. What's the cause?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Did they/you balance the tires when you put them on?

Yes they did. I think it was a weight issue and the road. I did some "testing" last night.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Somehow I have no loving idea how my kickstand got bent to all living gently caress. I don't know how I didn't notice this when I got on the bike the day it happened but it's pissing me off having to use my centerstand everyday. If I blowtorch it back into place will it be ok? Or should I order a new one? I don't want the tensile strength to be all hosed up from blow torching it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My friend just bought an 85 Honda Shadow. He's got it idling and starting fine after buying a new battery and I don't think he's done anything else. The problem is the bike starts stalling above 3k rpms. I'm guessing either carbs or jets are clogged. Is this an accurate assumption I'm not much mechanically inclined and he knows about cars not bikes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Either carbs or some ignition problem. I'd tear down the carbs, clean everything out (make sure you run some wire through the jets) and see where things go from there.

We're going to clean the carbs and jets and go from there.

niethan posted:

Could it be not getting enough air?

How would we check this?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So something broke in my shifter and it won't go back to the neutral position after a shift. Right now I only have 1st and 2nd because of it. What do you guys think is broken and is this a shop fix or a DIY?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So my bike got impounded because I had it parked in the street with no registration and insurance on it(let it lapse because shifter is hosed up and I can't ride it right now). It's definitely my fault but my question is will I be able to get the bike out with out registering and insuring it? I'm going to have to put it in the back of a pick-up anyway so I don't really want to pay for that stuff right now. I don't want to let it sit in impound because the DMV is closed tomorrow anyway. I'm in New Jersey and I'm a stupid dick.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Can't speak to new jersey, but get it out as fast as possible, those impound fees stack up fast!

Yeah I'm going to call them up tomorrow and see if I can pick it up in my friends pick-up. If not I'll have to wait until at least Tuesday to get the registration done. I was just wondering if anyone knew about getting it out of the lot without having that stuff.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So just to let you guys know the state of New Jersey really knows how to gently caress you. If you get impounded for no insurance you have to show the the permanent insurance card for your policy. You can't use the stuff you print off the internet or that the insurance company faxes over to you. So basically you have to wait the 7-10 days and pay storage for all those days. Luckily I have a FedEx account and Progressive is going to overnight it to me but that's a load of horseshit if I ever loving saw one.

To the guy that's never ridden before. Just be gentle with the throttle and be aware that you need to clutch in to stop. Keep in mind the msf bikes are all weak as hell so you may have to give them more throttle but this will not apply to anything bigger or sportier.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

A friend of mine just showed me this site http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok Is it a good place to order from? I need new gloves and pants. Plus the have Rossi replica helmets...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So my bike was parked like so

and I got a ticket for "improper parking" statute 39:4-135. Do I have any chance of fighting this in court? Or should I go move my bike to take up a full spot on my tiny block with poo poo parking?

Edit: in the great state of NJ

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I don't know wtf. Cop also gave me a ticket for inspection when they passed a law last august that it's no longer needed on motorcycles in NJ.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

To add more to the story of me being hosed. That ticket for improper parking was given on the day that I had just gotten my bike back from the impound lot for no regstration no insurance. The cop hit me with a ticket for statute 39:6b-2 which is driving without insurance, which is like 300-1000 bucks and 9 points. What the gently caress? The bike was parked and had no insurance because of the winter holy poo poo. I'm thinking I may have to lawyer up on this guy because it was the same cop that gave me the improper parking ticket as well.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah, lawyer up here, what the gently caress is going on here. Does he just hate you or something? How did he hit you with the driving without insurance ticket when you weren't riding the bike? Or did you?

Nope I hadn't ridden the bike since my insurance lapsed in december. Besides the fact that I wasn't home when the ticket was issued.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Arguing with people on facebook about why it's safer to start on a NOT A 600 is like pulling teeth.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I know what you mean. They always seem to have this image in their head of them on a supersport that they can't shake. I usually get through to them after a week or so. Using the "you'll kill yourself" analogy usually doesn't work because they always know some guy that started on a sportbike and "is fine." Instread, I usually try to show that they'll be too indimidated to really learn on something like that, and while they may not die, they sure as poo poo won't be proficient riders.

This is what I'm using too. I say while they may have the self control to not roll the throttle there are situations where you will need to and on by starting on a 600 you'll be scared to. One of the idiots arguing against me I know for a fact started on a Katana so I don't know wtf his deal is. I wish there was something I could copy paste instead of typing lots of words. There isn't is there?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone know if the AGV GP Tech and the K3 helmets have significant safety differences? I need a new lid and gloves and am getting a present from my girlfriend. I want to know whether to ask for a K3 and gloves or a GP tech and get the gloves on my own. I like my head.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

They don't. Buy what fits better.

I think it's going to be the K3 and gloves because they have the Rossi replica I like the best.

It's between this one and this one. The donkey and the chicken one would be fun too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there any fitness things I can do to combat hand numbness while riding? Only seems to happen on long highway stints. Doc says I may have slight carpal tunnel and recommended a cock up splint which I am using but wondering if y’all have any moto specific insight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

opengl128 posted:

The only thing that really helped me was to stop riding bikes with clipons to get the weight off my wrists.

I’m on a Tuareg with nice tall bars already. :unsmith:

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I hate to say it, but I think it is partially a function of engine rpms. On longer rides my 300 kawasaki gets my hands fatigued and numb due to vibration. It doesn't happen on other bikes and I'm not really death gripping.

There's throttle locks and throttle palm rest things...not sure how safe they are.

I’ll check those out because cruise control isn’t cutting it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How do you decide on crash protection hardware? I want to get an engine guard and some other stuff so I can start taking the tuareg off-road. I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I meant more choosing a brand that makes the stuff. How do you know it's quality that won't break? Like there's a large difference in pricing for example engine guard: heed ~190
swmotech ~450

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

does installing crash protection increase the amount of vibration you feel?

getting a real weird buzz at 5k rpm

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

heed upper and lower engine guards on a tuareg 660

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Did you have to replace any engine mounting bolts? That's usually the culprit, that area of the frame is very sensitive in terms of flex and vibration, replacing the carefully specced factory bolts with just whatever fastener the accessory mfgr got from the lowest bidder has a noticable encrappening effect on even 20yo japanese bikes, let alone something brimming with cutting edge passione.

If they are just applique covers over the clutch and stator etc then YMMV wildly; there is basically no way for an accessory company to do the kind of r&d a corporation can when it comes to NVH issues on a brand new bike, so they pass their beta testing onto the end user and wait for the complaints to roll in.

there were new bolts :(

are there any possible fixes?

thinking i should have gone with the oem guard now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

if my friends all have sena's theres no point to a slightly better cardo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

trying to remote diagnose. friend has a wr250 that won't start the day after it's been exposed to water. while it's raining will start up fine even after stopping for food for an hour. next day no go not even a bump start. he says it's cranking and he can hear the fuel pump just seems like it's not getting spark. what steps would you take to fix this?

he's going to get a new coil and spark plug but that doesn't seem like it will solve the issue to me. if humidity was the problem it wouldn't start while it's raining.