Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
'03 SV650, blue

Bought used with 500 miles on it, almost stock aside from lowering links in the back. I removed those and stuck the stock links back on it.

Now has 11,500 miles on it, and I've stuck frame sliders and swingarm sliders/spools on it. Also replaced the stock mirrors with Napoleon "Baren" bar end mirrors.

It still has the factory tires on it, though that will change next spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jack the Smack posted:

I think that has to do with the Throttle Retardant on certain SV bikes. I plan to install a Retarder Eliminator today or tomorrow.

That only cuts horsepower a bit in first and second gear I believe, and even then it's not a massive difference.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'll also throw in for the Motosliders camp. I put a set on my SV before I even rode it for the first time.

I dropped the bike once when I didn't get the side stand down all the way while facing downhill after a bee flew up my jacket while riding, and I "helped" my bike fall on it's side twice, and both times there were no damage to anything expensive, wholly due to the motosliders.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Very nice, I have the exact same bike! Except mine has about 10k more miles, different mirrors, a tail light flasher, and frame sliders. By the way, frame sliders are a MUST on this bike. I have motosliders and they're great.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I pay like $230 a year for my 04 with State Farm in Wisconsin, full coverage. I also cancel my insurance during the winter so I really pay about half that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dietcokefiend posted:

Damnit I don't know what to do. There are non-crashed virgin sv650's in the 2500-3000 range with similar miles around my area. What is finding replacement parts like on a bike cobbled together? Is it nearly impossible?

If you can afford a bike that hasn't been hosed up, and it seems like you are relatively new to riding, I would suggest not getting the frankenbike. Why spend hours/countless headaches sorting that thing out when you can just get something ready to ride and enjoy? If this wasn't your first bike and you were familiar with bike repair, I would say go for it... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I've heard both the Corbin and the Seargent seats are good.. with a nod towards the Seargent I think.. I still have the stock seat myself although I really want to get rid of it.

Anyways, I've heard the Suzuki gel seat is total crap.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Install new battery, problem solved.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

PS: gently caress CARBS I AM NEVER BUYING A NON-FI BIKE AGAIN

I'm a bad bike owner.

Last fall I never winterized my 04 SV650... it sat in a garage with the battery in place, a half tank of gas, and no sta-bil or anything like that.

This spring I charged the battery, changed the oil, and it started right up like it hadn't even been an hour since I last rode.

I dunno if that's cause FI kicks rear end or just dumb luck, but I was pretty happy.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
That's gotta be hell on your riding pants. confirm/deny?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

benwards posted:

I'm trying to decide between holding out for an FI sv650, or grabbing one of the slightly cheaper carbureted versions.

Can anyone attest to the merits of one or the other? Assuming both bikes have similar miles and have been well-cared for, which would you choose, and why?

FI: Coldstart? what's coldstart? Why do people keep talking about a choke? is that some weird sexual fetish or something?

I think the 2003+ SVs look better than the older ones, but that's purely subjective.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Had an off on my '04 SV650 a few weeks back, bike was totaled by insurance but I kept it.

I need parts and/or suggestions for replacements. If you're selling anything let me know :)

Parts Needed:

Fuel tank, blue
Brake Fluid Reservoir
Headlight & bracket
Throttle tube, grip & the controls on the right hand bar.
Rear tail plastics, left side
Shifter mechanism
Probably a left foot peg
Left front turn signal

Suggestions needed:
Was leaning towards an aftermarket instrument panel.. would be nice to have an accurate speedometer.
Suggestions for different bars
Had Napoleon Bar End mirrors - they were OK, open to suggestions there.
Open to suggestions on headlights, but I have to guess that I can get a stock one cheap

Broke my left thumb and minor fracture in my right arm from sticking my arms out to break my fall, gear held up flawlessly though.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2013

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Anyone selling a complete headlight and bracket for a 2nd gen naked?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MasterOSkillio posted:

Just bought a 2008 sv650 a couple weeks ago, got it with 24k miles for 2k, one dent on the gas tank but otherwise good condition. It came with 520 conversion (sprockets + chain) Pazzo Levers, Suburban Machinery Type 2 handlebar, Stomp grips, and a Delkevic oil cooler.

One question I wanted to ask, I'm shot about 5'7", and when I'm on the bike I'm not flat footed like i'd want to be, aside from shaving the seat, is there any other way to lower the bike, maybe by 1"-2" without messing the suspension up royally ?

Also does anyone know of any good reading material with safety type tips that I can go over? I'm a little new to riding, and I had a friend recommend this bike to me, I've been out on it and it's a good amount of fun, so far I enjoy it. But now that I have gotten a bit of a feel for riding, I'd like to read up on some stuff and try to form good habits as I go along.

There's a dogbone on the rear suspension that can be replaced to lower the rear end, and the front can be lowered as well very easily. I dunno what it does to the suspension geometry though, but it's definitely a thing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Would a speedometer cluster from a 2003 SV650S work on a 2004 SV650N?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
time for a carburetor rebuild imo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
In a wold of cargo vans, battery powered angle grinders, and hydraulic cutters, locks are merely a deterrent. Securing it inside of a locking structure, or a ground anchor are your best bets, otherwise this is why you have insurance.

I own this chain and it's about as good as it gets.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html

Be sure to loop it through the frame, try to avoid leaving a lot of slack, and avoid using the wheels as chaining points since those can be removed fairly easily.

Edit: since it's not an high end bike or a supersport, your goal really only has to be this: be harder to steal than another bike. Thieves either want bikes that can be parted out efficiently and profitably, or something easy to steal.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 7, 2015

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I believe the 03 has a carb, 04 is fuel injected

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the motosliders the go to slider for SV's? They come recommended on svrider but I'm still trying to figure out how to parse the squid talk from the actual info over there

They helped in my wreck, but the bike was still totaled. Woulda been worse off without them though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Z3n posted:

You get a front fender extender to really fix it.

That's what I was gonna post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
bump to keep out of archives

• Locked thread