Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

Numark PT-01 (not the touring) is pretty well regarded in the portable scratch DJ community, that is a bit of a niche thing tho.

Portablism is hilarious and awesome, Numark should make a more expensive version of the PT-01 with a better motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Want VU meters but can't find an old receiver? These guys have you covered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pyYCYsyy3I

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much every mixer has EQ, just leave them in the middle. The Pioneer DJM-250MK2 is like $350, or there's the Mixars cut for like $200. There's some Numarks and Behringers that are cheaper if you're really going for light duty. There's a few super-minimal mixers that are basically just a fader but they don't have phono inputs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hey all, I'm giving serious consideration to switching my home theater system to two channel for simplicity's sake and so I can get better speakers. I'm curious what experiences people have doing this, I've been on 3.1 for 8 years now so I'm pretty used to it. I'll be keeping the subwoofer. I guess my main concern is smaller "sweet spot" for movies/TV, I have people over for movies occasionally.

Looking at this receiver [or its Integra equivalent if I can get a deal].

e: As far as speakers go I've always had a soft spot for the KEF LS50 and I'm going to demo some Dynaudios. Plus I've always been curious about Ascend Sierras.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The origin of this is that I need a new receiver for 4k, so rather than spend $1000+ for a surround receiver actually capable of driving 4 ohm speakers spending half that much seems like an appealing option for a couple years. I'm probably never going to put rears up in my current apartment so what's the point? I have a receiver with decent amps but it's old. If there was such a thing as a cheap surround preamp or even a HDCP 2.2 switch that wasn't garbage and had audio out this would be moot but alas the "bargain" model Emotiva is $600 and looks like blue LEDs were on super closeout then they designed it. I've also looked at powered systems like the LS50 wireless or Dynaudio Xeo if I could just get all that HDMI routing taken care of.

On the other hand maybe part of me almost wants to become one of those AVS weirdos who flips sets of increasingly esoteric speakers every couple months until they go full grognard and end up with $5k, 200 pound monster towers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Welp, Accessories4less had the Integra DTM-7 refurb and Canton Chrono 502 speakers like 60% off so I decided I was tired of whinging about it and bought them both. I haven't even heard the speakers but I heard some similar Cantons a couple years ago and really liked them, they had a good balance between "detailed" and bright.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 13, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've seen that wall system in a design museum, I mean it's neat as a decorative piece.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Both buttons for 78 is a common feature on a lot of the Hanpin OEM tables.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much Ortofon is the last option.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anyone in the SF Bay Area: one of my coworkers has a pair of ADS 780 speakers he’s looking to unload, let me know if you’re interested.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Unless you must get vintage the “super OEM” Hanpin 1200 clones sold by DJ companies like Pioneer and Reloop are solid and you can still get parts for them if need be. At this point even for DJs real 1200s are becoming a bit of an affectation.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Having just picked up two SL-1200's with flight cases, a mixer, a CDJ-1000MK3 in a soft carry case, a dozen vinyls, and a pair of unused Concorde Carts, for $400 I'd say that you can do way better.
Realizing that I got a RIDICULOUS deal and that this is probably your first foray into vinyl and you probably don't have any 45's, I'd say :hellyeah: go for it.

If those weren't stolen I'd be honestly surprised. 1200s in decent condition sell for $600+ each.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Good ones are still going for $700-800, I’d guess this guy made the common custom car guy mistake of assuming that modifications increase an object’s value instead of the opposite. There’s a ton of 1200s out there with lovely control boards, thrashed tonearms, busted pop up lights, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

really? I mean I bought one for $400 once but it came with a nice cartridge.

Recently I bought a pair for that much and they came with 2 unused ortofon DJ carts, road cases, a mixer, and a bunch of other poo poo.

When I say "good" I mean perfect since there's so many thrashed ones. Maybe it's because everyone in SF wants to be a DJ but you're lucky to get a crappy looking one under $500 here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do they count as vintage? I mean 1991 was like 30 years ago

If I ever see a pair of my old dorm speakers sitting around somewhere [JBL J2050 IIRC] I'd be hard pressed to not buy them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Newer high end Hanpins like the Reloop RP-7000 mkII are competitive with the mk7 [and arguably superior for DJ use since they're better damped] but only you know deep down inside if you'll be happy without a Technics badge. Plus it looks pretty awesome in all black.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fun fact: Morrisey actually died after recording Your Arsenal and it's been one of those weird "Gallagher 2" situations ever since.

e: Motown's Greatest Hits is still in print and might be a fun record.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve always been suspicious of Schiit just because it seems like nobody ever says their stuff is “ok,” either that it’s amazing or it sucks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an ES [technically DB which was ES minus the warranty] receiver from 1999 and one from 2008. The 99 model sold on Craigslist in a day and the buyer offered me $20 over asking 5 hours after I posted it. The 2008 model ended up at Goodwill because I couldn’t sell it even for $40.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Klipsch The Fives seem like a no-brainer recommendation for a lot of people who don't want "a stereo" except for the fact that they cost eight hundred dollars.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evobatman posted:

The main event though were these, Sony APM-22ES speakers:

Those are wild, they look like they were designed for a movie.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

Asking for a friend who is building a twin-table setup: anyone have any experience with the Ortofon Concorde line of DJ carts- particularly the black and yellow “hifi” elliptical one?

He doesn’t want to do any scratching or performance turntablism but he’d like to do a lot of, at least, light backcueing (like a club DJ, picking tracks off of individual albums and back-to-back’ing them).

I imagine that that’s murder on a home hifi stylus. But also gently caress trading away sound quality for that convenience I guess. Basically the top priority is sound quality, but priority two is being able to quickly and seamlessly cue up tracks without worrying about breaking anything.

All the current Ortofons are good but the club [black & yellow] is probably the best for what you're describing since it's designed to wear records less and at least on paper has the best sound quality of the range.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a few things like this already, from both the usual Chinese rando brands and AudioEngine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

rly? I thought audioengine’s was Bluetooth only.

It costs twice as much and has its own app, I think the price will make this Belkin thing huge. As far as I know Apple was rejecting products that were trying to do this in the past, at one point they were absolutely telling vendors "it must have a speaker to be AirPlay."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Crutchfield has the LP-120 and 140 in stock.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One of the reasons a lot of us nerd love telling people not to buy HTiB packages is that basically nothing in them is re-usable and even if it technically is it's usually so low quality mixing it with other gear will sound Real Bad.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That thing is awesome especially the 44 year old “2 year warrantee” sticker.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never heard any Tektons but I feel like they make way too many models of speaker to have designed them all properly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some other small companies like Salk do the same thing and are really well regarded but I can't help but getting a "guy who's really good at DIY speakers and has a friend with an auto paint booth" vibe. That said they've apparently been around for 30 years and will send you speakers that make sound so it's not like they're a scam.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Double check if the port works with surround speakers first. The amp isn’t bad and you may still be able to get the 30% trade on discount if you have older gear. There’s also refurbs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d probably have a Powernode already if I wasn’t so invested in Sonos. That said if I ever see a good enough deal on any of the NADs with streaming and Dirac I’ll probably jump on it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Not super vintagey, but i found Dad's Stereo on Craigslist and laughed

I'd guess the thermostat in their house is annotated a similar amount.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the nice thing is that turntables and *especially* speakers haven't really technologically advanced much since the 70s so well-made stuff is going to remain good.

Crossovers, tuning, computer cabinet modeling, etc. have got a lot better since the 70s. So the individual components are pretty similar to vintage stuff but modern speakers sound substantially different. Not going to disagree that speakers that sounded good then will sound good now, provided they’re in good condition.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would it be fair to say that the biggest advancement in the last few decades or so has been the quality of entry/midrange stuff
The fact that you can get a Wiim mini and a pair of powered Edifiers and have a pretty complete sound system for like $300 is amazing but there's some good poo poo at the top end of the market too. Of course there's also still a demand for old style speakers, as evidenced by the return of the "monkey coffin" from JBL, Mission, Wharfedale, PSB, etc. That also might be because the high end market is almost entirely made up of dudes who were in high school 50 years ago.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect you haven't looked at vinyl prices in the last few years if a $300 turntable sounds too rich. Average is $30/album for new issues and anything remotely collectible is more unless it's beat to poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anything electronic in a box shipped to you is going to cost $100. That said 560s aren't particularly hard to drive, do you like the way they fit and sound connected to something else like your computer? I guess the most relevant question would be do they sound so much better than your speakers to be worth the extra expense. Open headphones aren't super versatile and you can kinda only use them at home. Schiit appeals a whole lot to a certain kind of enthusiast and I'm not one of them but their entry level stuff works and isn't a ripoff pricewise. The decent Chinese analog headphone amps like Topping, SMSL, etc. start around $90-100.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

these are probably the best example of a "vintage" design still in production for like 35+ years that isn't the KOSS PortaPro/etc.

or you could track down some of the KOSS/Drop electrostats which AFAIK are basically a similar ~40yo design

For fun I just pulled my 7506es out, IMO they still sound pretty good all things considered and I'm putting them up against modern much more expensive headphones. I need a new pad on the left though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone have any solutions for storing a lot of CD cases? The music is all ripped but I have at least 1000 CDs and since I'm probably not moving anywhere big enough to actually display them soon I'd like to at least get them organized. I found archival boxes but they run over $20 each for cardboard boxes and I'd need at least a dozen. I was thinking of half height milk crates like these [or maybe a more affordable knockoff]. I could always just get banker boxes but I'd like to be able to group and sort them as I put them away. Bonus points if they also scale up for movie case storage.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's a general release product now, you should be able to get one eventually. I'd imagine there's going to be some limited editions still in special colors or band collabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honest question: why don't more modern turntables have phono amps? It's like a dollar in components.