Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
Amazon has the Technics 1200 on sale right now: http://www.amazon.com/Technics-SL-1200MK2-TECHNICS-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242944702&sr=8-1

edit: Amazon itself is sold out.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

crazyfish posted:

$450 is a good price for a new one, but if you live in a big enough area you can shop around and get it for $250 on craigslist. I plan on doing so once I get my Marantz 2240 fixed up (the speakers periodically cut out).

It was $330 when I posted that :P Then they sold out and it's back to their regular price.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

vibrantglow posted:

Just took the plunge and grabbed one of Amazon's last 1200s at that price. Can anyone point me to a good resource on the table for things like tonearm balancing, modifications, etc.

Pibborando San posted some great stuff about the 1200 in this very thread (it's mostly on the first page.) I picked mine up from the Amazon sale along with the Denon DL-110 cartridge and the headshell he recommended from LPgear. Light years better than the garage sale Sony I was using.

A flurry of interesting vintage speakers and receivers popped up on my local Craigslist:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199456900.html Fisher 201
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199454587.html Technics SA 5400X
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199451921.html Sansui 5050

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1177686554.html Infinity 2000 II
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1202997875.html Klipsch Heresy (several examples)
There was also someone that already sold a pair of Belle Klipsch speakers for $1500!

Those Infinties look especially interesting: http://www.davidsaudio.com/Infinity_2000II.pdf

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2009

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

I picked up a vintage Sony receiver/tape player (HST-399, I think), and I'm getting crackle when I use the volume knob. How do I fix this?
Also, I always thought that if a stereo had a phono input, you wouldn't need an external amp for your record player, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this. Was I wrong, or could something be broken?
The other problem I'm having is the right speaker seems to be broken - it works sometimes when i bend the joint right by the plug (which looks like an RCA plug) but usually I just don't get any sound. Can I just cut the end off and reswizzle the plug somehow, or is there more to it than that?

Taking the knob off and spraying a little Deoxit in the pot behind it may help.
For the cable, it sounds like there's a short right at the end where it goes into the connector. You can get replacement RCA plugs for the cable http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062472 (and the Deoxit) at Radio Shack.
My theory for the Phono input is that it's not really a phono input and it's actually a line input. Try plugging something else in there like a CD/DVD player and see if it sounds normal.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

helsabot posted:

I got those plugs just now, and they mention a ground wire and a conductor wire, but all the contained wires for my speaker look the same (small and silver). How do i go about hooking them up? is part the ground and part the conductor?

There's either two separated strands like these: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/thin%20wire.jpg
Or it looks more like the bottom one on here: http://www.ocinside.de/assets/lcd_display/cable_6.jpg with wire on the outside and a second layer of insulation containing another wire.

Connect one strand to the ground and one to the conductor pin, or the inner wire to the conductor and the outer wires wrapped around it to the ground depending on how the cable's constructed. Make sure that the wires don't short inside the connector.
If it doesn't sound like the other speaker then it's connected "out of phase." Simply reverse the connections in the plug.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

abagofcheetos posted:

I have a turntable, and I have a pair of speakers. What would be the cheapest way I could complete this puzzle and have me listening to my records? The OP suggests a $700 receiver which is ridiculous, I'm thinking in the $100-150 range, the cheaper the better. Is something like this or this basically the cheapest? Exclude buying vintage stuff used.

The Teac is probably decent enough. You might also want to check out Harman Audio's ebay store http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Stereo-Receivers_W0QQ_fsubZ10225970QQ_sidZ26519532QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Peacebone posted:

I have a Pioneer SX-770 blackface model and I want to be able to play music from my computer with it. Right now what I have is

Computer > 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA Jack Cable > TC-750 preamp > Aux on the receiver.

The sound that comes out doesn't sound as good as the turntable phono and it's not really listenable unless at really really low volumes even then the bass sounds heavier than it should be and the vocals come out pretty thin.

I'll try again but from what I remember not using the TC-750 preamp I couldn't get any sound to come out. I'm using a Unibody MacBook Pro for reference.

I also have a presonus firepod and I'm wondering if using that somehow would make things better?

The speakers I have are $50 Sony bookshelf speakers.

That preamp is only for plugging a turntable into a line input.

If you couldn't get any sound plugging the laptop directly into the Aux input for some reason, try the Tape input.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

I have a 2003-era Stanton turntable. After I purchased it, I read nothing but horrible things about them, so I've been a bit wary of it since, but it's been an OK deck. To be honest, I don't know much about needles and tonearms all this jazz. I just wanna toss drop the needle on the record and forget about it.

Anyway, I ended up wearing out the needle that it came with, so I bought a Stanton DS-3. I popped it on and gave it a disc I didn't care about in case I did something wrong. During the first listen, my girlfriend turned to me and said, "Would you be upset if I told you I think it sounds awful"? She can't understand why I store my CDs as FLAC rather than MP3s, but she immediately noticed a difference compared to the stock needle after not listening to any vinyl for a whole month. I agreed, it really does sound awful.

I don't see any way to make adjustments to it. Can I do anything about it? Or should I just replace it outright, and if so, what's good that won't break the bank?

I've been eying Rega decks today. If the Stantons really are that bad, should I just take the plunge? I wish there were a place I could audition such things..

Make sure your tonearm is balanced and the tracking force set correctly.

If you decide to go with another cartridge, the Audio Technica AT-95E and Shure M97xE are good value cartridges at around $50-60. Make sure you have a headshell handy.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Pibborando San posted:

A white PS3? Whaaaaaaaaat?

There were white and silver editions released in Japan.

PS3 games are conveniently region free.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Take it Sleazy posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Nikko NR-719? There's one on craigslist in my area that I might be interested in since my old Sony just broke. The guy is asking 120 which seems like kind of a lot for this amp.

edit: I use pretty much all of the functions of an amp so if this one is weak in a particular area that would be useful information

Nikkos are really rather good all around. On the other hand, there's one of that exact model on ebay right now with a starting bid of $40 (plus $42 shipping).

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

metaxus posted:

I just posted a few old pics on Audiokarma of some of my CD players... Figure they may as well get posted here for your amusement! :D

Top to bottom:
Dual CD-120
Luxman D-404
Yamaha CD-1050
Akai CD-D1
Technics SL-PJ1

That's 5 out of 14.

I like how the Dual is unintentionally confusing by saying "Laser Disc" on it, and the fact that it and the Akai have the disc standing vertically.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

pipian posted:

I'm looking at a used Technics 1200 MKII for $200. It has a DJ cart that I was planning on upgrading to an Ortofon or Shure cart. Firstly, is this a decent deal provided that the arm/platter/pitch control are in good condition?

$200 is a great price for a used 1200 provided it checks out OK.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

"[panic posted:

"]
Thoughts on this receiver? The guy has owned it for 33 years, says everything works perfectly. I got him down to $80 but I'm not going to get it until tomorrow so I can back out.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/2136173922.html

$80 is about half of what they're going for on ebay including shipping. You probably won't find anything much better for the money.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Thom and the Heads posted:

I've decided I need a new cartridge for my SL-1700. Looking for a cart that won't be terribly expensive (less than $100, preferably around $75). So far I'm leaning towards Grado Black. Anything else I should consider?

Audio Technica AT120 at $80 is interesting: http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC06&Category_Code=A3

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Vintersorg posted:

I have a PL-120 as well(given to me for free along with 200+ vinyl), haven't had a chance to use it yet but if needed is there sites out there showing what kind of cartridge I can put on this? I am totally new to modifying these things, so if it requires crazy work I'm f'd.

BTW, that 0 is actually a D. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-12d.shtml has the manuals if you need them.

Any "standard mount" cartridge will do. The aforementioned Audio Technica AT95E or Shure M97Xe are about $50 each and good value for money.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
I have one of these: http://www.target.com/Avington-Bookshelf-Dark-Tobacco/dp/B000X1U27M
Records fit on all 4 shelves. You lose a bit of space on the sides due to how the front posts fit though. I put my CD binders in that space since I don't really need to get to the actual discs anyway.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

echobucket posted:

Stuff
Many of the reviews on Amazon say the Sony PSLX350H has issues holding speed, so I'd stay away from that one.

The AT-LP120 is probably the best new "budget" table. Anything else from a respectable brand will be at least $100 more. And require a phono preamp anyway.

As for the ebay links, I can't speak to any of these specifically but:
The Sherwood comes with a Grado cartridge, which would more than likely be much better than that of any of the rest. Which is good, since with linear trackers you're limited to P-mount cartridges. According to Google it takes a Grado Blue replacement stylus.
That Sony may be a solid choice; it uses a standard cartridge mount so you can easily upgrade that later if you want. The JVC and the Sansui look too plasticy.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 22, 2011

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Stuntman posted:

Recently picked up an SL-1800 (for 130 bucks, too) and it has a 680 EL cart on it. Is this a good cart for just listening and no DJing, and if so, what are the recommended ranges for counterweight and tracking pressure on this? Don't wanna gently caress up any of my records before I even get to listen to them.

The 680EL is sold as a DJ cart, but it should track starting at 2 grams, which is OK, and has an elliptical stylus. I'd be fine with it personally as long as it's in good shape.

Most DJ carts track around 4 and have a conical stylus.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What speakers would you guys suggest for an entry-level setup now that the insignias the op recommends have been discontinued. Also how safe is getting a receiver off of Ebay?

You might also consider these Polks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202 . Cherry version costs slightly less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203

As far as a receiver from ebay goes, I've bought a few and all came as described. I think your bigger worry on ebay is whether or not the seller packages the thing correctly so that FedEx/USPS/UPS doesn't destroy it.
The problem is so bad Audiokarma has an entire subforum devoted to how to pack things: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So if I got those Polk Speakers which are rated at 20-120 watts at 8 Ohms, would I have to be careful when using a vintage receiver rated at 35 watts or thereabouts? Specifically with causing clipping or something similar.

Unless you plan on playing at ear-bleeding levels, that ought to do. The Polks have a relatively high sensitivity rating too.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I found a guy who has a bunch of old stuff, and he's offering to sell me a Tandberg TR-2030 receiver and Thorens TD-160 turntable for $350. It seems like a good deal to me based on my limited knowledge but I can't find too much on the receiver. Should I bite?

Edit: TD-160, not 165

The turntable alone is worth almost that much in mint condition. Tandberg gear is solid stuff in general. I saw some completed listings for the tr-2045 on eBay for ~$100 plus shipping, which is a slight step up from the 2030.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Weinertron posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/3851584038.html

How would a Pioneer PL-5 with no dust cover for $40 be for baby's first turntable? Will it be very difficult / expensive to get a dust cover, should I wait for another deal? This is a really good deal compared to what's usually on CL around here. For $40 if it demos well it can't be too bad, I'm getting it unless someone chimes in here.

Edit: Assuming I do get it, my amplifier is modern and cheap and doesn't have a phono input. What's my best bet as far as a cheap phono preamp?

The Behringer PP400 or Pyle PP444 will do the job at around $20. The TCC TC-400 and TC-700 would be nicer but for a little more money. All of these are available on Amazon.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

dalaamprince posted:

Alright I ditched my Lepai amp for a Pioneer SX-727 today and I'm in love. The tuner works great, my record player sounds fantastic, and my phone hooked up to the AUX port (using RCA to AUX cable) works well.

The issue I'm having is with the HDTV plugged into the AUX port. I get a buzzing sound with a constant barrage of tck-tck-tck and no audio from the TV. I know it's not the AUX port because it works fine with my phone.

The wiring I have from HDTV to receiver is: Coax audio cable from back of TV to > Coax-to-Analog adapter to > RCA stereo cable to > the receiver's AUX ports.

This wiring setup worked fine on my Lepai amp so I'm hesitant to call it quits. Any ideas?

Find a setting in your TV's menu to output PCM sound instead of Dolby Digital/Bitstream from the digital output.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Bozza posted:

Just picked up a Pioneer SX-550 on eBay for £36, which was a pretty good deal I thought.

Any UK goons that can recommend me a place to pick up a cheap (but not poo poo) pair of speakers and turntable from? I'm looking at getting an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 off Amazon at the moment cos it does the trick, but I'm at a loss for speakers.

Budget is probably £100-150 for both (so £300ish total)

Wharfedale speakers are a good value in the UK. Amazon.Co.uk has their Diamond 9.1 model for 99 pounds.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Peacebone posted:

Theoretically if a turntable is setup property when you raise the tonearm up and then back down on the record it should be in the exact same spot, correct?

I have a SL-1200mk2 and if I'm playing a record and then raise the tonearm and drop it back down it goes back a tiny bit each time.

I know my tone arm is setup and balanced correctly, and my anti-skate is the same weight as my counter-balance weight. I'm doing about 1.8g with ortofon 2m red.

I can see the black piece of plastic that pushes my tone arm up when I move the lever slides a very tiny bit when going up and then back down. Perhaps that is loose, any way to tightening it?

If it's that bothersome you could try replacing the tonearm lift, a new one from KABUSA is $8.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

The Mandingo posted:

I got a really kickass McIntosh tube amp back from the only McIntosh approved repair shop in DFW recently and I'm looking to sell it. Any idea where I could get a price range on what it's worth, and a good place to sell something expensive like it?

I'll post some pictures later when I get it set up for demo.

Audiogon and USAudioMart would be a good bet both for checking price and selling it. Audiogon costs money to list, but USAudioMart is free for individuals.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Twerk from Home posted:

Does this ring any bells for anyone, or is there some safe generic stylus for this mounting style that I could fall back on? I'm pretty clueless about this.

Take the cartridge off the headshell so you can see the exact model number. There's replacements available for most AT's.

Edit: beaten. IMO, I'd say it's worth keeping most ATs of that era in service.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 3, 2016

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

wolfbiker posted:

cool turntables

I'd go with the Yamaha. It by far looks the best out of these and has similar specs to the 112D and the Technics. The other Pio's suspension system is most likely out of spec by now as it is. The Sansui beats them all on paper, being direct drive, but as you said it's in rough shape. I'd keep the Grado cartridge also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

evobatman posted:

Nah, it's a Marantz PMD201 that got sent to me by mistake when I bought a couple of stereo recorders on ebay. It's a 2-head mono recorder, and it's defective. I did own a Sony TC-D5M earlier, which is the non-XLR version of what you're thinking of. It's in my post history in this thread. It needed servicing, so I sold it.

I had the 3-head stereo version of that Marantz deck, the PMD-430, a while back. I'd say it's pretty close with the TC-D5M. The Marantzes tend to go for considerably less money these days too.