Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Break Fast posted:

I can't help but giggle a bit and smile reading this.
I love it when my Cardi goes nuts in puddles and mud in the park. Although it's a real chore to get him clean afterwards, the fun he's having is just shooting out of his ears. :) I guess I'm still new to this and am overexaggerating my emotion when he's having a good time, but drat if it's not fun.

I guess I talked too much about how good he is, cus today he was an utter rear end in a top hat. We were in a covered arena, and he didn't care much for chasing the sheep. He did eat probably a few pounds of sheep poop tho..

It is pretty funny when they go all hellbent on rolling in something disgusting. As awful as I know the bath after is going to be, the look of sheer joy on their face is pretty :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Yeah we'll take 3 little pieces of cheese. Give Taziki the first one with no pill, so she thinks it's just cheese. Then the second with the pill embedded in it, then a third piece of just cheese immediately after the second, so she doesn't even think about it.

Always works.

This. This is the way to pill a dog. It's all about the follow-up of a pill-free piece of cheese. My dogs are always so concerned with gobbling down ALL the food as quick as possible that they don't even notice one has a pill in it.

Bogwoppit posted:

I think you're wandering dangerously close to relationship advice in a dog thread.

Well, I hate to say it but if you choose to get a dog that definitely is going to cross over into his life. Corgis in particular, they shed like the dickens. They bark. They often will try and herd you. You will need to decide if getting a dog is something you are going to do regardless of your significant other, and then he will need to figure out if it's a dealbreaker for him.

For what it's worth, my husband wanted NOTHING to do with animals when we first going out. Animals are critical to my happiness, so yes it ended up that there was an ultimatum. Either he has me and deals with the pets, or he doesn't have pets and also doesn't have me. He has a lot of guitars, which take up a lot of space and make a lot of noise. It helped for him to gain perspective when I said just like he likes guitars I like my pets, and it wouldn't be fair for either of us to give up our hobby.

Now he is totally smitten with the dogs and could not imagine life without them, but I wouldn't count on that being the outcome in your case. You just need to decide if you want the dog regardless of whether you are with him or not.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Derpy baby Bailey.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

...and a derpy baby Zeke!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

amishsexpot posted:

This is the best link ever.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/corgis-in-costumes

90 Corgis in Costumes

Uhh... #57 is Zeke. I don't know where they found that picture, but they certainly did not ask permission to use it.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Plus_Infinity posted:

25-30lbs is too small for a grown cardigan male. Maybe he's a pembroke with a tail? Honestly he looks suuuuper corgi to me, if he's mixed it didn't get through much!

Zeke is ~28lbs, full grown Cardi male. He's got a lighter build than most chunky monkey Cardis... some of them have that look.

Golden-i- I really like the look of your new guy! I almost think his face looks like the same shape as a Jack Russell terrier. The corgi x JRT "hybrid" dog is actually very popular right now.. wouldn't be surprised if he had a little in him. His ears are flopping like that because he didn't get taped as a baby. Both of my corgis needed taping to make sure the ears stayed up as adults. Another corgi friend with a Cardi did not tape, and the corgi's ears mostly flop. Sometimes one will go up, but usually both are down.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Masey posted:

Is it okay to ask for advice on a breeder or if anyone has experience with a particular breeder in this thread? After a bit of talking and narrowing down what we want in our dog, we'd be hard pressed to find what we need out of my original desire to have a ABPT rescue and we've narrowed it down to either adopting a Corgi (they are extremely uncommon in my area, and seemingly within 400 miles of me as well) or maybe purchasing one.

The breeder in question is: http://www.humnbirdcorgi.com/index.html
Her kennel looks pretty solid & impressive, and she's relatively close to where I live (within 2 hours by golly!) and I was thinking about stopping by after dropping an inquiry with her. I'm open to second opinions or if anyone wants to help me find a rescue near Morgantown, WV that I may have missed. I'd prefer a pup over an adult or a younger dog as I'm looking for a long term companion & trial partner. Also we have 4 cats, and one is just out of kitten stage, almost 12 weeks old and I feel it'd be easier to socialize a younger dog than an adult with our cats.

I REALLY like the look of her corgis. She's also very obviously showing them, getting CGC titles on many of them, and is working them. She is having the pet quality dogs neutered, and drat.. those corgis look very much what they are supposed to look like. One of her dogs just won BOB at Westminster, that's amazing. She is also health testing her breeding stock. I say green light on this breeder, her dogs look great!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Golden-i posted:

Thanks! Now that you mention it, he does have a lot of the coloring of a JRT.

I've never heard of people taping up their corgi's ears to make them stay up, but I'm glad that wasn't done to this guy - his floppy ears are pretty awesome.

This is probably a better question for the dog training thread, but I've really been trying to teach Tycho to speak on command... the problem is, he's only really barked a few times in the last 4 months. He's a very quiet dog, even when he gets really worked up he just whines and growls a bit, but won't bark. Is this common for corgis? I always thought they were louder dogs. In any case, I want to reinforce the barking with treats + command (in this case, I say "rabble" and he should bark), as how I usually teach him tricks, but I can't get him to bark to begin with no matter what I do.

To be fair though, it's probably better to have a dog that barks too little than too much. In less than 4 months he's already learned almost everything I could teach him (his new name, sit, stay, lie down, roll over, "loose leash walking" from over in the the dog training thread, "cheers," stand up, "flop," and some other stuff).

Corgis are scary smart.

He may have been previously trained to NOT bark. Is there something that will surefire cause him to react and vocalize? Like for my dogs, they will bark every time someone knocks on my door. So you could set up a situation that will cause him to bark, capture the bark with clicker-treat when you get it, repeat until he makes the connection (which shouldn't take long).

Though I gotta say, as someone living in a busy condo with 2 corgis, I'd freaking love it if they barked less. I've got a method for stopping them, but it's a lot of work and not 100% reliable.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Wonder Bra posted:

The 19th is good. :)

I might be able to on the 19th. We've been herding on Saturdays, and doing occasional Sunday open herding sessions. But I'll try and keep the 19th free. :)

Not doing the corgi picnic this year, we're going up to Semiahmoo to celebrate my birthday that weekend. My buddy is dogsitting Bailey and Zeke's tagging along with us. You all should go if you can, though!! Leo and Kathy are so hospitable, and it is a kick to see like ~60 corgis running around like nincompoops in their backyard. There's fun stuff like bobbing for hot dogs, food for the humans, silent auction for Corgiaid. I think Kathi Gangi makes it out most years, and she always brings most if not all of her crew. Protip though-- if you are bringing a Pembroke, it'd be a wise move to put a colorful handkerchief on your dog before you let them loose. It can be really hard to pick out your dog in that big crowd.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Sorry for the double post, but thought you guys would dig this... Bailey's breeder has a brand new litter of Pembrokes! They were born early yesterday. Here's the Ustream- http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tasha-s-puppies

Apparently, Tasha is Bailey's sister's daughter.. so Bailey is the uncle to mom, and great uncle to the babies! Hah!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Check back tomorrow during the day. She's in Central Time (Missouri), but the cam might be spotty as she's not been sleeping so she can watch the babies :3

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

Did we decide between Marymoor and Magnuson? Either's good, though I liked Magnuson for the swimming (well, paddling). Also should we shoot for noon?

I prefer Magnuson for the swimming and because it's fenced. Either works though!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Actually, Khelmar (PI mod extraordinaire) taught Zeke to swim at a SA doggy get-together we did many years back. If I'm remembering right, he just picked Zeke up, waded out about knee high or so with him, and then plopped him in. Zeke would swim back to shore... rinse, repeat. Zeke got good at jumping in when we started chucking tennis balls and Dino Cuz toys in the water. Zeke does not need a life vest, it seems that the tail acts as a buoyant rudder, helping him to stay afloat.

Bailey, on the other hand.. no tail, and he sinks butt first. He starts to panic and flail around, and there's been times where we thought we were going to have to jump in after him to save him from drowning. He wears a life vest when we are going out in a boat or if he's going out into the water now. He jumps, but always hesitates, and is always eager to get back onto dry land. Luckily those dog lifejackets have a handle on the top so you can just lift them out of the water.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Check out this adorable video of a corgi going crazy at a water park-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwtGF386Xs

So freaking cute! I am pretty sure that is herding behavior.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Two hours is wayyyy too long of a training session, especially for a young dog. The trick of training is that you want to positively build your knowledge, which makes the dog WANT to work for you. Sessions should be short (10-15 mins), and should ALWAYS end on a positive. Don't end your training sessions on a negative note (IE him being overstimulated, and you being frustrated.)

When I'm doing my herding training, I have both dogs ready to go. One dog is out in the field with me for 10 minutes, and then I swap out with the other dog. If one dog is having trouble with a concept and is getting frazzled, I swap what we are doing to something they know and enjoy, and then have them leave the field after a few minutes of succeeding at the other activity.

For example.. I've been trying to work on "curving" Zeke out more so he doesn't cut the sheep so frequently and make them scatter. It's a hard concept for him, he just wants to get to the sheep as quickly as possible and doesn't want to do the extra legwork. Once he starts to show signs of frustration, I open a gate and switch him to moving the sheep from pasture to pasture. He LOVES that work.. it's very clear what his expectation is and he's good at it. I let him move the stock from field to field for a few minutes, then call him back to me, praisepraisepraise, pull him off the field and switch dogs.

You just need to learn to watch your dog very closely for signs of frustration/anxiety/exhaustion, and then act appropriately when you see them teetering on the edge. There was one day we drove all the way out to the field, and it was real hot out. He was out there for about 15 minutes before he started to show signs of heat exhaustion (buggy eyes, panting real hard). I immediately pulled him off the stock, cooled him down, and threw in the towel for the day. Be your dog's advocate, don't push too hard.. it's counterproductive to your desired end result.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah I've been meaning to reply, my husband was in a wreck last week on I-405.. I think they're going to total out the car. We're not allowed to have the dogs in the rental, so I'd need another week or two at least. Plus it would NOT be fun doing a dog park on a real hot day.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Oh yeah, sorry.. he's fine. He wasn't moving due to traffic, the guy behind him didn't see that people were stopped and just plowed right into my husband and shoved him into the car in front of him. He hit his head pretty bad on the headrest, threw him forward and I think he may have hit his head again on the steering wheel. Threw his glasses off, so it was a pretty hard hit. I took him to the ER that night and he checked out fine. Next day though I had to leave work early to go watch him, he was complaining of a bad headache and I was concerned he had a concussion. Doing fine now, just waiting to hear back if they are going to total the car or not.

Ready your corgis, Western WA goons, after all this heat we got thunderstorms coming on Saturday and Sunday. Zeke really flipped during that last bad string of thunderstorms we had about month back. Probably a good thing this weekend wasn't working out for people :)

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

BLERG, we just aren't getting any breaks. Car is indeed totaled. And Zeke has a wonderful UTI or some other issue right now. Lots of gunk coming out of his junk. UA that my buddy ran for me came back with both bacteria and crystals in his urine. He's able to void, so hopefully it's not a blockage. Vet appointment set for tomorrow evening.

I had a ton of problems with urinary crystals with Bailey back in the day, and we kept trying foods with lower protein content to get rid of the crystals... finally found a lovely brand of food that stopped the issue, and now we get this with Zeke. I'm thinking maybe the extra chews I've been giving him have bumped his protein consumption too high, which maybe is causing crystals or stones. He just gets so unbearably hyper on our herding off-weeks, tho. Guess time to switch to frozen pumpkin/banana Kongs instead of pizzles/yak milk chews.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Zeke howls... a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrRMF3lOi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdFSqNEHqPo

He seems to do it when he's happy, excited, trying to start play with the humans or other dogs. He does a more wolfy low, continuous howl rarely after eating while waiting to be let out of his crate for water.

Howling corgis are the best!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Waiting on test results to determine whether my guy Bailey has degenerative myelopathy. If DM test comes back negative, it's looking like he's got two compressed vertebrae putting pressure on the spinal nerves that control his rear left leg. Either part or the whole leg is paralyzed :( Very scary stuff, he just seemed a little stiff/sore, which is to be expected in a 9 year old dog. When I heard toenails dragging on the ground, I got scared and took him to a PT vet. She said we're catching it somewhat early thankfully, most people wouldn't have noticed anything wrong yet. She mentioned next steps if compressed spine would be a consult with a neurologist vet, an MRI to determine how bad the problem is, and then possibly surgery to relieve the compression.

This really sucks and is all kinds of sad. He's from a good breeder, his parents had the genetic tests done, I've been pretty good about maintaining his weight, and yet here we are. I'm prepared to get him a little wheelchair and possibly the surgery, but for the time being he's pulled from all the activities he loves most (herding, playing with other dogs, laser play.) I'm doing massage/stretches/exercise with him daily, and he's super happy to be clicker training new stuff so I guess there's that. Test results back in a couple of weeks. Either outcome is not great, but at least if DM is negative we have treatment options to pursue for him.

Ahh corgis, why must you be the best dogs with such terrible health troubles?!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Epiphyte posted:

Bit of a random question. Since this winter I've been taking my two year old male Pembroke Riley for 2-3 mile walks several times a week. He's a good solid little guy, about 27 lbs with no weight issues.

However, now that it's gotten into the 90's in Texas, I'm concerned about the effect of the heat on him. I bring water with me, but he shows little interest and is primarily concerned with flopping down on nice wet grass under shade. When we do get back to the house, he basically collapses panting for 30-45 minutes, but after this he is back to his usual self.

Should I start scaling our walks back with the heat? We'll spend several hours at the dog park without issue, but he does spend most of that time in and out of the pond. Are those doggy cooling vests worth a drat?

They make cooling handkerchiefs, just goes around their necks and cools them. I've used them before and they're really helpful. I can't find the exact one I have, but this is the idea - http://tinyurl.com/p7zah5e

Be very careful if you are walking on pavement in that kind of heat - the heat can and will burn and blister his paw pads. I'd be walking him in either the cool of the morning or at night when things are starting to cool off. Heatstroke isn't really anything to mess around with.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey has DM. I'll get him a wheelchair and let him love life for as long as he is willing, but today I'm heartbroken :(

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh no, how sure are they about that??

edit: You saw a PT? I'm going to recommend that you go to a neurologist.

Yeah the PT referred me to a neurologist, his genetic test came back as DM "Affected", which means that he is at risk for developing the disease. However, if it was DM it shouldn't be responding to the Metacam I've been giving him. The Metacam isn't helping completely, but it's knocking down a lot of the side to side wobbling, and it also seems it's helping him to be a little more active. My impression thinking it through with a clear head today is that it sounds like she was reaching the conclusion of DM in conjunction with the paralysis we are already seeing. I have a voicemail in for an appointment with one of the two neurologist vets in our area. Even if it is DM, I need to know what neuro signs to be looking out for as this progresses so that I can be modifying what I'm doing for him.

I don't want my hopes to get too high, but I'm hearing from the corgi community that 9 is very young for him to already be developing it, and that his lines are not known for early onset DM. Same community, plus what I've seen in research papers online is that 12 is more of a typical age for these dogs to show the DM. His mother is still alive and healthy, his sire died at 14.5 yo. I'm hearing also that I need to bring up possibly doing a course of steroids, +Metacam, +PT/exercises I'm already doing, +crate rest to see if it helps any in the event that it's a back injury.

I just really hope her dx of DM is premature, this sucks a lot.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

I agree with this. I actually wrote up a post on DM and the DM test in my genetics thread here. And a little more detail on interpretation of the test in in this post.

I also agree with this, except would emphasize the strict crate rest over all else. (although the steroids and NSAIDs are unnecessary for the most part)

So from those posts it sounds like really that a diagnosis of DM really should be reached only after completing the non-genetic workup (MRIs, etc) AND the genetic workup. That is actually what I'm getting told from others as well, that really a conclusion of DM should be a last-case resort-- regardless of how the genetic test turned out. I hope her conclusion was premature, though dealing with a spinal injury seems like it'd be no walk in the park either. It is worth noting that the PT's initial thought was compressed spine before the genetic results came back.

I am noticing and did tell PT vet that when I am doing his massages down the muscles on either side of his spine, there is a point just in front of both hips where he reacts. It is not a strong reaction, but he pins his ears back, shifts weight, sometimes will try to walk away. I don't know if he's painful or just uncomfortable, typically even if he is in a minor amount of pain he vocalizes. However he has not vocalized at all.

I was wondering what you actually think while I am waiting to get in to neuro vet-- could doing gentle massage, range of motion exerices, two/three paw balances be potentially harming him if it is a spinal injury? I'd rather stop that immediately if there's a good chance, at least until the neuro vet is able to do the consult. I really appreciate all of the info, thank you so much.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

A pic of the lovey goober-

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

I wouldn't do those things to be on the safe side until you've ruled out a bulging or herniated disc.

Another big clue as to what might be wrong is the progression - that's typically what you would probably do if for whatever reason the diagnostics are unrealistic to do (finances, availability of equipment, etc). If it's an FCE or just a stretched nerve or whatever you will typically see pretty marked improvement within a couple of weeks regardless of anything you do, if it's DM you'd expect for it to stay stable or get worse within that timeframe no matter what you do and if it's a disc you'd see maybe mild improvement as long as the dog was kept from exacerbating it. So to do the least harm and also to perhaps provide more info for the diagnostic process the ideal would be complete crate rest/activity restriction - it won't really hurt in the case of FCE or DM, and it would help in the case of a disc.

I hope that's sorta clear. I'm still working on how best to frame my thoughts in a way that makes sense outside of my brain. :)

Makes total sense, and honestly that is what my gut says to do until we know for sure what we're dealing with. Looking too for a way to either discourage or reduce harm from him sleeping on his back-- he does this almost as soon as he goes in the crate, I don't know that him lying on his back is terrible, but the struggle when he tries to flip back over worries me. Oh corgis!

Thanks again for all the info, will keep you posted on how things shake out with the neurologist.

So sorry for the derail all!

Bailey - 3 months

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey saw the neurologist about a week ago. The neurologist is heavily leaning towards IVDD as a diagnosis. Right now the current treatment plan is very strict crate rest + Metacam. We will be doing the following after trying conservative treatment for a period of time: 1) Find the place of compression and determine type/severity via an MRI, 2) Do a spinal tap to figure out the type of fluid that is in the spine-- will determine whether it's fluid (ideal), or hardened (not so great), 3) X-Ray his lungs, as the next likely illness would be a cancer that is causing pressure on the spine. They would do all three tests while he is under for the MRI.

We might have to do surgery, though we really want to see what the results of the tests are before we get too ahead of ourselves. He did strongly caution me that he sees a lot of corgis presenting with similar symptoms that will come back with a clear spine, clear lungs, clear spinal tap-- in this case DM would be a more appropriate diagnosis. This was not his inclination though, his symptoms are presenting as IVDD.

We got some toe grippers (little loops of squishy material that go around each hind toenail), and already Bailey is a lot more steady on slippery surfaces. He is getting a little grumpy with all the rest, and with me not allowing him to run/writhe. Still wobbling a bunch, though he has progressed with current treatment to be much more willing to get up and move around. Still very happy, and my gut says his pain is way more under control just by his behavior. I am still seeing a lot of weakness in that leg, though, so I'm watching him very closely and trying to temper my optimism.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

It's been a few weeks, how's Bailey doing? Not that I'd wish IVDD on any dog either but that would certainly be preferable to DM...

Honestly, it's hard to say. I think it's about the same. Things improved significantly when I switched to flatter bedding in his crate. He was getting hung up on his blankets when flipping over from back-sleeping, and the flatter blankets seemed to alleviate that. He had a couple of the best days I've seen in a real long time. But a couple of days later it seemed to revert back to the same, maybe with some worse days here and there.

We had a medical emergency with the cat, had to take him to ER with a blocked bladder. Five days later we brought him home, with ~$1700 in vet bills. Bailey's issue had to go back burner while we were dealing with all of that, cat reintroduction still in progress and so there's been a lot of crate rest for him.

Tonight, though, seemed like a good night. Bailey kept trying to run (which usually means he's having a good day), and I actually had to catch him midair and stop him from running. We redirected the energy to a chew, but he's definitely more ambulatory today. I'm thinking he's really going to need to get that MRI done in a week or two when we're able. He's not improved enough for IVDD/DM to be off the table, but he hasn't worsened a whole bunch either. I've also been considering calling the neuro vet and getting him on pain meds, it was listed in the take home paperwork as an option.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey has continued to decline a small amount, so I called his neurologist and we are going to do a course of prednisone, gabapentin, muscle relaxers, and pain pills. No prednisone yet, doing 48 hour wash-out of his Metacam first. I am almost certain that this is IVDD and not DM - with just half pills of the muscle relaxer + pain meds, he's following me around like normal, way more mobile, exponentially better as far as interacting with objects, people, and the other pets. Not too drugged, either! We've stopped crating him, as the back sleeping was causing him to thrash when he would try to flip back over. He just doesn't have the rear hindquarter strength to flip himself back over anymore.

I'm hoping the combo of new meds + improved rest will help him to actually heal. He had refused his meal two days in a row, and I was so sick to my stomach with worry. My corgis have never ever passed up a meal. So glad my little buddy is back and feeling better now with the meds! He ate a big dinner last night and is mooching for my food right now, which I am absolutely sneaking him :3:

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey had his MRI/chest xray/spinal tap yesterday. He's been having some weakness involvement in the right hind leg now - not much, but enough that I could see it. It seemed like the steroids/gabapentin/muscle relaxer/pain meds he was getting were helping. The MRI showed a small area of disc compression, however, it is not so extreme as to cause the paralysis that Bailey is exhibiting. All other tests came out fine, so we're looking at a strong probability that the diagnosis is DM.

Since his anesthesia yesterday, he's been dragging the left rear leg where he was usually able to stand on it (somewhat wobbly). It has been improving it seems, especially when he is motivated by food. He's still needing a sling to go potty, but is getting better with standing on the left leg. We've been looking at special harnesses that can work with leashes to be come a sort of sling, we've got our wheelchair vendor picked. He's still getting pain meds/muscle relaxers when he needs it, since he does have that area of compression that could hurt from time to time.

It really sucks that my little buddy is facing this, but I am hoping for a few more good years with him. He is the best dog!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Camembert posted:

Hi guys! I'm a bit of a lurker, but my SO and I have been thinking about getting a corgi for a few years now, and I think this year will be the year we actually get one. I mentioned in passing to my vet that we were thinking of getting a corgi and she stressed that we should try and find a breeder that tests for DM. Unfortunately, this is proving to be quite difficult! I was just wondering if DM testing (or lack of) was a deal-breaker for any of you when you were doing your searches for a breeder? I found one breeder who I really liked the look of their stock and who shows, but they specifically had a mention on their page that they don't publish DM results because they were unreliable, or something like that. This was disappointing, as I had liked what I had seen up to that point. As an aside, if anyone knows of a good Cardigan Corgi breeder nearish to the East Coast of Canada, I'd love a recommendation.

Tests for DM in corgis are unreliable. They don't know what percentage of the dogs that come back as "affected" actually go on to develop the disease. I would focus on hip certification, eye cert, and my Pembroke was von Willebrand tested as well. I would definitely talk to the breeder about DM, ask if any of their dogs have gone on to develop it. Be hyper vigilant as a corgi owner of the early signs of DM, as soon as you see anything get the testing done ASAP. If one waits until the muscles are already starting to degrade, you can't get that muscle back. DM testing is not inherit in a good corgi breeder, I wouldn't let their lack of testing sway you away from them. My Pembroke is from awesome lines, well tested stock, and is in the beginning stages of paralysis from the disease. His breeder isn't a bad breeder, but now she knows that her lines are affected. She should be uber vigilant in future pairings to try and avoid similar results in the future.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey had a rough week last week, we are now beginning to experience potty issues with him. We make a point to talk calmly and sweetly to him when he potties inside, but I feel terrible as he clearly knows he's not supposed to be pottying inside. It upsets him. It's also been incredibly inconvenient cleaning up so much mess, so I did some research and have a bunch of belly bands ordered. We ordered his wheelchair last weekend, and it's already here. We are going to do 5 days of positive association training before we let him try it out. He continues to have good and bad days, with the good far outweighing the bad. I'm really looking forward to the renewed mobility he will have again once we have him acclimated to the chair. It'll be great to be able to take him out on walks again and have him enjoying this world he loves so much!

catamar posted:

Are corgis usually good at reading eyes? I've had dogs who would look where you were looking to see what's going on, but Holly just stares into my eyeballs. I'm trying to shape fetch and she sometimes forgets what we're doing so I try to look at the toy we're using, but she totally doesn't get it.

Mine are not big eye readers, but they pay a whole lot of attention to body language. Try gesturing maybe? I use a lot of hand commands with my verbal commands, so they are pretty constantly "checking in" and acting accordingly.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

First wheelchair acclimation training a BIG success, I am so glad we have a solid clicker training foundation! :) Both corgis offering pawing + holding/nudging behavior in less than 5 min! Reward was hotdog bits and cheddar cheese, jackpots when they increased their behaviors with the chair. Phew, really thought they'd be scared of it. What a relief!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Nobnob posted:

My little girl Indra is getting old.

She's 12 now and will turn 13 in november. Obviously she is losing her sight slowly. She has problems to see things on the floor, sometimes she's not able to realize that my legs belong to me and she seems pretty much blind when it's relatively dark. She also changed her behavior - she refuses to react on commands, she started to actually cry loudly for the slightest problem or need she may have (like, terrorizing everyone because her water is getting relatively low) - so I have to put her onto a dog leash again; something that I didn't have to do for more than 12 years, as she always was okay to walk around freely.
It's a strange feeling doing that though. For me it's putting my best friend onto a leash and walking around with her, showing everyone that I have to do so.

Additionally her bladder is getting weak. She just can't hold it sometimes, especially if special things happen and she's happy. That's really sad, as she obviously does not want to do that, she always walks away and hides, even though no one ever shouted at her for losing such things. It's just her turning into an old lady and time slowly crushing her body.

Nevertheless, she doesn't feel old at all. Her body forces her to sleep more, but if she's active and she's able to, she loves to play with her lovely toys (read: everything she could use as a toy, ever), she likes to play with the small puppy my mother got a few weeks ago, even if he's way too strong and crazy for her to keep up.
Regarding that I'm 19, I grew up with her and it hurts to see her change this way, but nature will do it's job one day and grab for her. For the time being, I just wanted to share her story with you and I will enjoy every second I can be with her.

My corgi Bailey has DM and has declined to the point where he is wheelchair-bound with weak use of one hind leg, and is gradually having incontinence issues. I really understand how hard it is to see them go through these changes in states of being, especially when it is new. I assure you that they do adjust to these changed states pretty readily, even if it's harder for us humans. Extra large peepads are a godsend for handling the incontinence issues. I place them under his blankets on his beds, place them out in the areas where he tends to lie down. I've got a plastic squishy pad that stretches the last length to the door outside. This is easy for him to walk on, and easy to clean when he can't make it outdoors. REALLY makes a difference for all the cleanup, I was losing it with all the carpet cleaning. Amazon also had some great washable absorbent pee pads too, in a great big size. I'm having no luck with belly bands, even with custom-made bands they just don't work great for corgis. His slide up, as well as only catching the little dribbles. Baby wipes are essential for cleanup, in my opinion. If he potties at all on himself, it's a nice quick clean that he tolerates very readily. Works great for muddy feet and wheels too :) We've got a bunch of soft flannel blankets for the dogs, and just swap out a clean one should an accident occur.

I'm not sure if she would like this at all, but we've noticed that Bailey enjoys sitting in front of a fan a lot nowadays. In a corgi with wheelchairs book we have, it talks about how it helps with sundowning. You may want to Google this term and see what other fixes are out there for this condition that also occurs in humans. I'd also advise to be sure to see your vet so they can address any pain issues that you might have with her, ensuring her physical comfort. I monitor very closely for any signs of pain in him - groaning, grunting, disinterest in food/attention. We have pain medication and muscle relaxers for him, which we use nightly and whenever he's showing that he's hurting.

Wishing you the best of luck with Indra!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Adding a recent pic of my goobers, I work from home and they accompany me every day and do cute poo poo like this:

• Locked thread