Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Kerafyrm posted:

Hey, question for all of you with adult corgis.

Nova's outgrown her puppy collar finally - it's all the way out at 13" and is getting a bit tighter than I'd like. So, I'm looking at new collars and I'd like to get something that's nice instead of a crappy nylon collar.

She's 6 months old and about 16-17 pounds, with a current 13" neck. What size range should I look at? I have no idea how much bigger she'll get, but her parents were a bit smaller. Her dam was in the 20-25 range and her sire was 25 lbs.

Corgi necks are weird with sizing thanks to those big block bodies. Ace is 3 and his neck fits MOST 13 inch collars, but some randomly seem way too tight and some way too loose. He's pretty much exactly in the right spot to make it a pain to find a collar. It's also really hard to rely on weight for size like you would a normal body styled dog. For instance, Ace is 24 lbs, which puts him in the "small" category for a lot of dog stuff. He's way too big for most small stuff, mostly because he's got a bigass barrel chest.

For the most part I tend to eyeball sizing, or I'll just bring Ace with me to the store and try stuff on/ hold it up to him to see if it might fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Those are clearly fake, as that chair isn't covered in dog hair.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Well winter came early, which means the annual Ace runnin in the snow like an idiot photodump is here!

and inside warming up

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

RabbitMage posted:

I don't think I've posted this. Here's a video of Ellie getting hit by a car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf3jxZaDHo

oh my god that's adorable.

poor ace would flip out and pee himself.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Radio! posted:

Are you really saying any goon would pass up the chance to sleep on a ham bed?

A hairy ham bed that farts.

Also if they're anything like Ace, it will try to lick you constantly. Inside of your arm, elbows, ears, your face... The licking. Oh god the licking. He has this thing ever since my boyfriend got a tattoo that he has to lick the tattoo whenever he's close enough to. It's been months and he still tries to snipe lick.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Noctone posted:

Sometimes Hopkins licks water off of my legs when I get out of the shower. :3:

Oh god that's another favorite for the snipe lick (which is my term for when he sneaks up all quiet, licks, and runs away because he knows I'll fuss about it.)

The inside of my knees after a shower. Urgh.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Every time I think about getting another corgi puppy I remember how terrible corgi puppies are.

Also that I have no room for any more butts in my house.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Those pictures are amazing! Man you guys are gonna get me in so much trouble I want to have all the corgis.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace makes little short yippy barks when he's dreaming sometimes that he never makes when he's awake. Man corgis are talkative. He also snores.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Poor Josie, hope she gets better soon!

ButWhatIF, Ace is also really really timid with other dogs and pretty much never corrects them when he's playing with others. He gets regular play dates with random other dogs, but he's 3 now and still acts the same. He's timid around people, too... I swear the way Ace acts it looks like I beat him constantly or something. He's even super sensitive to correction and will flinch when told no. At this point, I'm pretty sure that's just his personality. He's otherwise happy and outgoing, but will flinch hard at sudden movement/ loud noises/ correction and mopes for a few minutes at any of those things.

Funny story, when I went to pick up Ace to bring him home from the rescue, they had a whole bunch of young puppies in a kiddie pool hanging out. The second they saw me they were all scrambling to come towards me for pets and were trampling all over each other. I found Ace at the literal bottom of the pile of puppies, sitting there like he didn't have 5 other dogs literally crawling up him. That's when I knew that he was special. :downs:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

C-Euro posted:

So there's one area in my GF's neighborhood where there's almost no traffic, so when she goes on runs with Butters she likes to take him off his leash. She did this the other day and he decided to jump in a nearby pond and swim/chase after geese for 15 minutes instead of running with her :3: I know those geese might have hosed him up but at the same time, what a strong brave bear!

There's a park 5 houses down the road from me with a little drainage creek that runs between the wooded conversation area of the park and the landscaped part. Usually I'll take Ace and we run in a big circle around the landscaped area but for the past few months if I let him offleash he beelines for the little creek and runs up and down in the water for a half hour or until he sees deer. If he sees any deer, he immediately runs back to me and sits down next to me.

Ace is weird.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
This is why I need all the corgi puppies

at my house

so they can play all day and argue with each other

all day

every day

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I'd restrict activity for at least a week and see if the stiffness goes away fully. If it doesn't, then I'd bring Corwin to the vet and have it checked out.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh god yes a bored corgi is the worst corgi ever. We had to restrict Ace's outside romping for a few days because he's a dummy and hurt his leg trying to do a backflip... Well, he wasn't happy. He's been trustworthy about not chewing on our stuff for years at this point but when I got home from work after 2 days of being pent up... Yeah, the legs of my desk, chairs, and bed have been scarred. Don't try and do a backflip with yo stubby rear end legs, dummy.

I got challenged to put things on Ace's head and take pictures so I did here's some pictures of random things on Ace's head.

The first item was food and my favorite food is beer, so

Then they said he had to wear a hat. I don't really own any hats except for a few skullcaps to keep my head warm when it's cold, but I do have an Adventure Time hat I made for my comic con costume last year...

He didn't like it and tried to wiggle away the whole time I was taking pictures.

Then I was asked to put an animal on his head. I don't have any other pets and the in law's toy poodle would maul the poo poo out of me if I tried, so Ace proudly let Lil Sebastian hang out with him a bit.

Unlike the hat and the beer he was cool with Lil Sebastian.

God his nails are stupid long in these pictures. They've been cut since.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
This video explains why I love it when it snows like crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=ZwYORvLjJ4o

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
"oh god let me go can't you see that there is a CAKE right there??"

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Mutts are going to be crapshoot of features from whatever mixes they come from and there's no way to say that a certain mix breed dog is going to behave in a certain way like you would a purebred.

As far as the corgi hassling you when you cook and things of that nature... Well, they're smart dogs. Sure. But, they will hassle you always and constantly and forever because that is their job (in their heads) and at all times they must be around and checking on things to make sure everything is ok and as it should be...

Ace is pretty much up my rear end all day every day forever. He's not in your face about it, but if I am home I guarantee he is either glued to my heels or my boyfriend's heels. Every little noise in the house is something that we get told about, as it happens, every time... Seriously dog stop barking because people are talking downstairs oh my god. He's three, and this is him at his most chilled out. As a puppy, he was 50 times more intense, and apparently he's pretty par for the course and even slightly lazy compared to most corgis.

You can train them so this isn't a problem, of course. When I'm cooking, the kitchen is off limits, so he'll hide under a table and watch me from the dining room or something instead. They are clever and can be troublemakers, because if Ace really wants to get into something he'll find a way as long as it isn't physically impossible. For instance- when he was a pup he'd chew my shoes, which we of course put the kibosh on. A few months later he reliably wasn't going anywhere near shoes, so we started leaving shoes out like normal. I found out a week later that he switched to ripping out the insoles carefully and chewing on those because I guess he figured only the outside of the shoe was off limits!

The bottom line really is don't consider a corgi if you don't think you can handle a high energy dog that is likely to be neurotic as hell for no reason. My pup fits me perfectly and I love him more than anything, but he's a total pain in the rear end sometimes (like when he decides that all shopping bags are SUPER SCARY EVIL and pees himself every time he sees one.)

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, gonna def. agree with the route change being the likely cause of the barking. Ace can be the same way... He's absolutely fine being with us leaving for work and being gone all day randomly, but if we're gone for 2 days or someone else feeds and walks Ace instead of us for a day, he howls.

I've never heard him howl myself, but apparently he'll do it for days if he knows he's being dogsat.

14 hour random workdays? No problem so long as at the end of the night I'm in my bed and he's in his bed.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace will apparently howl all day now if I leave the house with a suitcase. He won't howl at night, and I've never ever actually heard him howl, but according to everyone else in the house he does. He doesn't even wait for me to be gone long, last time I went on a trip he started howling after 20 minutes. There are 6 other people in the house, and he gets tons of attention.

Random 12 hour work shifts, even odd overnights out of nowhere? No problem. So, I have to prepack my luggage in the car nowadays.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Right around 2 is also when Ace really mellowed out. He's much less anxious in general and especially in situations where he used to be completely unmanageable (car rides used to be FREAK OUT TIME, and then suddenly now they're all "oh hey we're moving I guess this is ok") and he stopped the few random bad habits he had. Like eating our sheets and pillows off the bed when we're out. I was going through sheet sets every month because they all would have bite sized holes all over the place after a bit.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Break Fast posted:

I kind of wish it was laying on the ground in the classic corgi pose, but this will do as well. :)

I dunno, that seems to be the classic corgi pose if you ask me...

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace will occasionally wake up with a howl for no reason but he's always super startled when he does it (at the noise he's making usually, like he can't figure out where it came from.) He barks in his sleep all the time, too. I call it sleep-woofin. The one time I'm aware of him ever howling on purpose was when my boyfriend and I both went out of town for the weekend and he howled the entire time. Usually only one of us will be gone from the house for any extended period of time and he just didn't know how to deal with us both being gone I guess.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah I get exactly the same reaction. For a dog that loooooves to vocalize it has to be on his terms!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My sister bought a corgi from the corgi lady in FL in 2008 and it has horrible feet and hip problems and allergies. It cost me 50 bux to pay the adoption fee for Ace from the corgiaid foster and he's dumb as bricks sometimes but otherwise not broken.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I said the same thing when I saw that picture. Wow, what a manatee.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Sir Tonk posted:

I was always curious if this kind of person existed. I have literally never run into a person that didn't immediately want to pet Igby. Hell, people were cheering for him at the pride parade and I wasn't even on a float.

I just moved to a new place and one of my new neighbors also has a corgi. Ace regularly visits and there's this old lady that lives in the same building as the other corgi people who always has to come outside and loudly mention how stupid corgis are and she has no idea why anyone would put up with one. She also does this anytime I walk Ace in general now that I think about it.

She has a shih tzu that always seems to be trying to bite her.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace is the master of pooping in quantities that should be impossible for his size. He will poop 5 times in one walk just because and then poop 3 more times a few hours later on a walk. Because he will do this I can't take him to Petsmart or anything because he will try to poop in every aisle even if I take him for an extremely long walk beforehand. He'll even just crouch every couple of feet like he's trying if it's a place that he's decided needs some poop.

He's otherwise perfectly housetrained. Stores just need to be pooped on I guess.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Sounds like he really needs some more exercise and possibly a behaviorist but it also sounds like you've already made up your mind about not wanting to deal with the hassle. Corgis are demanding dogs and I really really wish more people would do a quick google search and find that out before they wind up with one. If you got him from a breeder can you return him (not for cash back obviously but good breeders are always willing to take back a puppy in the event the owner can no longer care for it.) You can also try contacting the local Corgi rescue group. Dunno where you are in Texas but google says there are several of them.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace doesn't care much for other dogs at all and is pretty standoffish. The more in your face the dog is, the more he tries to get away/ hide under my legs. He would much much rather meet a strange person than a strange dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My flirtpole is a swiffer with a rope toy tied to the end loopy thing. I untie the toy when I want to use my swiffer.

• Locked thread