Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is it common for an iPod to not let me transfer songs from it to iTunes? I have a song on my iPod that I bought from iTunes on my PC, but now I'm on a Mac and it won't allow me to transfer the song to iTunes. :confused: Oddly the particular song (and other songs I bought at that time) won't show up on my iTunes account at all as being purchased. Granted, this was quite a few years ago but it's still the same account.

On a related note, I recently bought the Apple earphones with remote and mic, and while the play/pause/forward/back options work (it's one button), the volume control doesn't (+ and -). They do nothing when connected to my Mac, either, and my Mac won't recognize the mic on the headphones. My iPod is a 5th Gen Nano and is compatible with the headphones but the volume control just doesn't work. Is it a defective unit? Also in case anyone was wondering, the headphones are pretty lovely, there's no bass on them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

chimz posted:

You can't transfer just any music from an iPod to iTunes. It's some sort of rule the MPAA decided they wanted. You can transfer purchased music, use File->Transfer Purchases from iPod. If you want to get your music from your iPod to your computer, there are free programs which do that for you.

When you have your iPod connected to iTunes, do a Get Info on the song you're trying to transfer, it should tell you what account it was purchased by. Maybe it isn't what you expect, and that's why transfer purchases isn't working...

How old is your Mac? In theory, the 5th gen Nano should be able to use the volume control on your headphones. Take it to an Apple Store or call AppleCare and have them replace the headphones for you.
File -> Transfer Purchases worked like a charm! Thanks. Even though I have a ton of duplicates now, but still. And yeah, the tracks were bought with the same account, but I couldn't copy them over manually which is why I was confused.

My Mac is a 2007 MacBook Pro running 10.7.2, but won't respond to any controls on the remote, whereas the Nano responds to the middle button which controls play/pause etc. but not volume controls. Also I think external mics for the MBP require a separate power source or something, which I guess is why the mic on the headphones won't work, either.

Guess I'll take the headphones to my nearest Apple store to be checked out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I tried both ports, headphone port gave sound in the headphones, but no mic and the mic port gave neither. Plugging any ordinary mic into the mic port isn't enough, the Mac won't recognize it. Not that it matters that much, I won't be using them with the Mac all that much probably. But yeah, I'm sure the volume controls should work with the Nano, it's just odd that I'm getting no response when I use them, figure the unit is busted. Hopefully I'll get new ones when I hit the Apple store. Appreciate the help. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why does iTunes glitch out every time I add something to my iPod? I usually keep it in mini player mode but have to maximize it when I fiddle with the iPod, but after I'm done, iTunes won't go back to mini player but instead stays maximized and the top part of it glitches out. I can still interact with it and put it in fullscreen (where it just stays maximized albeit with the grey background) and back again which makes it go back to normal. But hitting the green "+" just glitches it out again until I restart iTunes.

Minor niggle in the end but it's still a bit odd.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just discovered a neat "hidden" feature that's new to me (Mac only):

Open Terminal
Type in defaults write com.apple.dock itunes-notifications -bool YES
Type in killall Dock

This causes a small pop-up notification to appear above the iTunes icon on the Dock that displays track artist and title when a song changes on iTunes. A nice built-in alternative to GrowlTunes which doesn't work for me anymore. You can disable it by typing it in again but putting in NO instead of YES.

(Source)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I probably won't update but in case I change my mind later for whatever reason; does this update change music streaming in any way? Specifically with apps like Playback that have iTunes support. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this yet, I wouldn't want my music streaming get screwed if I decided to update for whatever reason.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Decided to update anyway and was relieved that streaming works fine with Playback (am I the only person who uses this by the way?) Also despite all the new bells and whistles that are there, it's nice that with a few tiny tweaks and settings I could make iTunes look and work just like it did before, status bars and side bars included.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also I noticed if you click the album art in the main play window (center of the top bar, it pops up a not-so-mini player.
Clicking on album art has done this for a while, actually. Didn't discover it myself until a few months ago. I don't like how tiny the album art is now in the main play window though and you can't get it to appear anywhere while in "songs" view, but nitpick nitpick.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Now that I've had time to play around with the new iTunes, and am no longer freaking out over thinking they removed the sidebar, I actually kind of like it. I do miss the album artwork in the sidebar, as well as that you can't show album artwork in list view. Unless I missed that option too?

Still ugly though.
Yeah, no album art in list view/sidebar is a bummer and the album art that does show during playback in the main playback part of iTunes is really tiny. There's always album view of course, to which I'm warming up actually. But I only now really realized how many drat songs I have with incomplete/no ID3 info or album art at all. Guess I'll have to remedy that for nearly 4,000 songs. :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any point to rating songs/albums? Does iTunes figure out something from doing it? I don't really have any music I'd rate lower than say, four stars anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I appreciate the replies, never thought of it that way. I just thought iTunes used the ratings to recommend stuff or notify if something new is available from a 5-star rated artist or something. After realizing that iTunes Match isn't available in my country I was wondering if there are any other neat features I might be missing out on.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a question about artist names in "Album" view mode. I have quite a few albums where "Various Artists" is the album artist while each individual track has an artist of their own, but the artists aren't visible under the tracks in album (open) view. Well, some albums do have it but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I know it's some kind of metadata trickery but how is it achieved?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

wolffenstein posted:

I'm guessing some albums are marked as a compilation and others are not.
Actually I just figured out that it happens when the album artist is different from each track artist. Makes sense. :doh:

E: In fact it doesn't do that if there's just one track in a "Various Artists" album, but if there's two or more and just one of them has a different track artist from the album artist, iTunes lists all the artist names under the songs when you open the album. Weird how it doesn't do it with just one track though.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 4, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Have I not noticed this before or does iTunes usually use nearly 350 megs of memory even while idle? :psyduck: On that note, ever since iTunes 11, Growltunes has been using at least 80 megs while idle and sometimes balloons to over 300 megs. Memory leak? I mean, Growltunes is just about the tiniest app there could be probably and should never use that much memory, surely.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm running OS X 10.7.2 and it was just 328MB. 139MB after a restart. Weird.

E: A new issue I've noticed is that iTunes 11 has problems playing certain tracks, regular mp3's with nothing seemingly special about them, but when played, my (external) hard drive flickers and ponders for a while and iTunes beachballs for 3-4 seconds before the track plays.

I normally listen to music in "song" view, or list view with shuffle on and while normally the track changes are instantaneous, some specific tracks cause iTunes to do this. It's not a hardware issue; other media players play the music fine and I can stream them to my PS3 via Playback without a hitch, it's just iTunes that's doing this and I can't figure out why. Has anyone else encountered this or have any idea what might cause it?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 4, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

PFlats posted:

One of the "notify me what's playing" apps just got rejected on one of its updates: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/07/apple-rejects-mac-app-update-that-shows-itunes-11-notifications/

Think iTunes 11 will interact with notification center in an update, or is this just apple being apple?
I hope it doesn't gently caress with GrowlTunes since I just bought it recently and it's in a desperate need of an update due to iTunes 11 causing it to have a slight memory leak.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't see a big performance boost; memory usage is huge still and iTunes still has issues with certain songs where it can take up to 10 seconds to start playing them. :mad:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Are there any ideas as to why iTunes 11 has problems starting playback on certain tracks? Everything worked fine with 10 but now, when in shuffle mode for instance, some tracks play instantly after the previous one ends but some take a good 5-10 seconds to get started, during which iTunes beachballs and my external whirrs quite a bit. The tracks themselves aren't any different (in format or quality) than the others and other media players play them instantly.

The thing is that once iTunes does start playback on a problematic track, it plays it fine if I go back to it a little while later, but after a night in sleep mode or a restart of iTunes it happens again. One of my favorite albums does this and it's a bit jarring when there's a 10 second break between each track. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wario In Real Life posted:

Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

The first thing I thought of was that those particular tracks are on an external drive or something.
Yeah, I'm letting iTunes handle everything like always. My entire library is on an external drive but it's always worked fine before, and still does apart from a specific bunch of tracks that have nothing different about them that I can see. They're not corrupt, metadata is fine, some were added recently and some I've had for years and their bitrate and file type matches with pretty much everything else in my library. The first thing I suspected was the drive but everything checks out and iTunes is the only player that has problems with these tracks. Other people have had similar issues but no solutions or reasons for the behavior so far. I'm concerned if this doesn't get fixed I'm not sure how possible it is to roll back to iTunes 10.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I want to relocate my iTunes library and it's proving to be kind of difficult.

It was on an external HDD and I wanted to move it to my MBP's own HDD. What I did was manually copy all the content from the iTunes Music folder on my external to the internal HDD, started iTunes and pointed it to the location of the new library, but nothing happened. I restarted, I launched it while holding the Option key, and it suggested a few things but it made it seem as though it was about to copy all the files all over again, essentially repeating what I'd just done myself. Trying to consolidate the library causes it to bring up copying again.

Is there a way to just point iTunes to the location of the new library without it trying to be "helpful" in that way all Apple things are? I'm concerned that if I let it do what it wants, I'll wind up with a full HDD as the internal drive can't hold a duplicate of my Music folder. Also I'd like to keep the music on the external for backup purposes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They appear if you have one of the tracks selected when you CMD+I, not just the album.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's something odd I noticed; with iTunes I can't seem to get the songs sound quite as nice, bassy and crisp as they sound with regular ol' Finder's "spacebar" preview on the files themselves. This is even with messing around with the equalizer a bunch and having it off completely. I normally use Genelec speakers and the music is fine but I recently got a pair of Sennheiser headphones which sound fantastic but comparing music played in both Finder and iTunes the former is superior by a mile. Is there some secret way or equalizer setting I can do to make iTunes sound like that?

E: Going through Depeche Mode's newest album is insane; in Finder it's incredibly layered and clear and in iTunes it's muffled and flat.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 17, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

beefnoodle posted:

Do you have anything set in iTunes Equalizer? Window menu > Equalizer
I went through every preset in it and tried turning it off but there was hardly any difference, and where there was it didn't sound anywhere near as nice as it does in Finder. I wish I could upload samples of how different they sound because it's honestly insane. I'd even deleted songs and reripped them because I thought the original rip quality was rubbish but that was just iTunes all along. :doh:

E: On that note, using the headphones with my iPod the songs sound great, too, and my iPod equalizer is just set to "Bass boost". I tried the preset in iTunes and it just muffled things a lot. :(

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 17, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

IUG posted:

How about volume normalizing or something like that?
I tried it and it didn't do much (though it is a pretty handy option I'd never noticed for some reason so thanks for that!) Fiddling with the option above it in the settings, having something to do with upper or higher frequencies (my iTunes isn't in English) kiiiind of makes up for things but there's still a difference. Not sure if it matters at all but just out of curiosity, what is Finder's audio playback based on? I assume both Finder and iTunes use the same codec for it or whatever?

Also are there any custom equalizer settings that are highly regarded as good ones? When no preset sounds right, my go-to tactic is to just mess with them until things sound good but that'll just probably make things worse now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Neurophonic posted:

Try turning off all the options under 'playback', so it looks like this:

Disable equaliser too, then it should be identical to Finder. Or at least it is in my tests.

As for EQ settings, there are no generic good settings. Each speaker setup/pair of headphones is different even in an acoustically perfect space such as an anechoic chamber, and the differences will be even more pronounced if you're in a room with hard surfaces for the sound to reflect off of and get caught up in. You can counter this with EQ if you take some time to tune it to your room. A good place to start is this site which explains common problems and has some tools to help suggest how to tackle them:
http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/BadAcousticsInMyLivingRoo.html

Check the 'acoustics crash course' articles linked at the bottom too.

If your Sennheisers are for normal music listening use and not specifically targeted at DJs (HD-25 range) or studio use then they should already be tuned to match the natural audio response of your ears, and chances are that you aren't going to improve the mix of the album you're listening to with iTunes' limited band graphic equaliser.
Thanks a lot for this, very informative. I'll check out trying to turn everything off tomorrow and report back. The headphones are Sennheiser HD 205's which are great albeit quite tight but the sound is excellent.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry for the double post but just letting Neurophonic know that following the advice seems to have done the trick! Thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Or you could type the correct name into an empty field (comments for instance) and copy/paste it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Any of you guys know why after changing my system drive over to an SDD and restoring my old itunes library from an update that iTunes now stops responding for 3-5 seconds whenever I do a manual track change?
I've had a similar problem ever since 11 came out. I haven't changed drives nor have I modified my library in any way, but certain tracks freeze iTunes for up to 10 seconds (the amount of time depending on file size, seemingly) with both manual and automatic track changes.

The issue happens with .mp3 files exclusively but that's the only common factor that I can find. If I convert the files to .m4a for instance the problem goes away for those specific tracks. It's loving annoying to play music on shuffle to have it take a long break between random tracks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just bought iTunes Match and it simply won't go past Step 2, where it's meant to do the actual matching with iTunes Store songs. I've stopped and restarted the process quite a few times now but it always hangs after a certain number of songs and just gets stuck. I've turned on Genius, updated it, turned Match on and off, but no dice.

Suggestions?

E: Boy this thing is kind of a piece of poo poo, really. Still no dice, I left it running for five hours and it got stuck again. The light on the external HDD (where my library is) even stopped flickering it seems.

E2: Contacted support and we came to the conclusion that it must be a file that makes the whole thing get fuckered and they told me to check the iTunes process to see what ports and files were in use and it does indeed show file by file what iTunes Match is doing, but the thing is that once it inevitably gets stuck on something, it continues going through the tracks one by one in the processes window but not matching them and the progress bar or song numbers don't move. So it's like it's stuck but doesn't know it. And it's impossible to know what file is the culprit because they scroll by so quickly and the progress bar updates like every five seconds minimum and it's drat near impossible to look at it and determine whether or not it's stuck or just doing its thing.

I cannot believe they didn't include something like iTunes coming across a file that is corrupted or otherwise faulty and skipping it and saying afterwards what files were somehow causing problems. Seriously? How hard is it to include something like that?

E3: Well, sorted it out by turning off Match, deleting my entire iTunes library (not the files) and adding everything back album by album and syncing Match after adding each one and after two days (:suicide:) I'm done. Every last track is matched and good to go. It's still a pile of poo poo for not working because of every small thing, but thus concludes my battle with iTunes Match.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sextro posted:

Currently going through exactly this,about to implement his solution but figured I would ask if in the months since if any better solutions exist.
Just an update on that, I've since moved my entire library from the external HDD to the Mac's own HDD and Match seems to have fewer issues overall, though it still bitches about a lot of songs and refuses to add them/stops on them. Sometimes converting the file from, say, mp3 to m4a helps.

iOS8 has a weird issue related to Match, though; there's no way to delete songs it has downloaded for play. iOS7 had a "Music" option in the "Usage" part of the storage settings under General but now it's gone for some reason. I know for a fact there are a few hundred megs worth of stuff there that I'd like to get rid of for space but Music simply isn't listed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The first thing is exactly what I was talking about, but today after using my iPhone to listen to music again, the Music app did in fact appear on the list but claims it only takes like 5 megs instead of whatever hundreds it has to take right now (plus at least another 150+ megs from today alone), and yeah, selecting it crashes Settings. :downs:

There's no way I want to do it manually one by one for the 100 songs minimum I've listened to since iOS8 came out. Guess I'll just have to wait for another system update and keep an eye out for how much space I have left.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The iTunes Match page is pretty much the only thing that looks exactly as it did before in v.12. I'm getting the strangest feeling that they're not really focusing on Match too much.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

New iOS update, still no way to see how much space iTunes Match music takes on my iPhone. :mad:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage - Music (tap the Music app) will show you the songs you've downloaded.

It should yeah, but hasn't since iOS 8 came out. Music doesn't even appear on the list. The only way to delete downloaded songs is to turn iTunes Match off and back on again and go through the whole process whenever I have to clear space on my phone.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had it appear once briefly before the last update but it only listed one song and made Settings crash if I tried to delete it. It works for some people apparently but for others, like me, it's completely screwed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I never manually download anything from Match, but streamed/cached songs absolutely do take space, currently taking something like 800 MB with no way of telling what songs they are. Trying to delete any music that I know I've listened to from the Music app itself doesn't work either, swiping the songs or albums does nothing.

E: Just to clarify, I know the music uses space from looking at how much space I have remaining, and the more music I listen to, the less space I have left and resetting Match on the phone restores that space.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 22, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

withak posted:

It is supposed to delete those songs if you run of space. Discontinue :spergin: until your phone's storage is actually full.
It actually does get full enough that I can't download certain apps or movies because of it, but hey I guess I'm just being spergy about it not working at all how it's supposed to.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why is iTunes so stubborn with album art? It decided to switch the art for about 60 albums to either Greatest Hits versions or something completely unrelated and of course they show up on my iPhone too thanks to Match whatever they call it now and I can't change them to what they're supposed to be. I've tried deleting and re-fetching the art (which sometimes sorts it but won't sync it) to manually dragging and dropping the images into the file info, but nope.

I miss the manual iTunes Match syncing, as poo poo as it could be. This is automated for your inconvenience now.

E: iTunes won't quit, either. Does it just prohibit that while it's syncing? I don't know if it is syncing because there's no way of seeing that anywhere. What is this thing, loving sentient now?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 2, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I had a few album artworks change, and just went into them on my desktop, deleted the current art, and put the correct one back in, and they're showing up with the correct art on all my devices now.
The way album art worked in the previous iTunes with Match was like that, yeah. You could change it to what you wanted, basically, or have iTunes find it for you if the album was available on the iTunes store. It never showed up on my iPhone automatically after that, but once I manually updated iTunes Match, it worked fine. Not anymore though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I never signed up for Apple Music, it happened the moment I started iTunes after the update. For now I guess I'll just chalk it up to the servers being screwed and see if it'll auto-sync better after a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, the only indicator that there's any iCloud stuff going on is the little animated cloud icon next to the view selection and I had iTunes on for about four hours earlier and it never finished syncing up. Another weird thing that happened is actually with that U2 album iTunes users got for free, for some reason the songs are out of order now. They're all numbered correctly and the metadata seems fine but they show up completely out of order for some reason.