Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For some reason they've removed the vertical column browser, which was more ergonomic for browsing Classical music by composers.

Are we Windows scrubs not entitled to a bit of Helvetica? The bold (I think) Lucida Grande in particular looks bad in the artist and playlist side panes.

beefnoodle posted:

Accidental discoveries:

While trying to figure out how to drag a video to my iPad (I manually manage stuff), I discovered that if you grab an item from the library and start dragging it, a sidebar will fly in giving you access to playlists and connected devices.

This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The "In the Store" album menu looks universally bunk on all my albums.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I cannot seem to add .aac or .m4a files to iTunes. Mp3s import fine, but nothing seems to occur when I drag and drop aacs (importing by menu doesn't work either). I checked both 'my recently added' playlist and searched for untagged songs under Unknown Artist/Album.

Any suggestions?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Have you tried the Automatically add to iTunes folder?

Do you mean the preferences option "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"? If so, then yes, it's checked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

No. There is a folder at ...\Your iTunes folder\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes and when files are dropped in there they are added\moved to your library. It can be kinda finicky but should do the trick.

Unfortunately, doing so creates a new "Not Added" folder inside "Automatically Add to...".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fordan posted:

Sounds like iTunes doesn't think they're playable. Can Quicktime Player play them?

Just checked. Yes, it can.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

What happens if you right click an aac file and then "open with iTunes?"

It brings up the iTunes window after which nothing happens.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I missing a way of changing the album art size in Albums view? I don't have the biggest screen, and with iTunes windowed, the current album art size is bit big.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Green Eyed Loco-Man posted:

If you make iTunes narrower the size of the art will decrease, but that's it.

Thanks. That's not optimal but helps.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

maybe software companies should have a way of communicating that hey this update actually f'ing matters

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why does the taskbar shortcut always break after an update? (windows 10)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You'd think they have the resources to make decent software

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just checking, you still can't sync music to your iPhone using different (Windows) computers, right? As in, if I usually sync using my desktop, I can't add music to my phone using iTunes on my laptop, correct?

I'm talking about my own music files, not music bought off their store, if that wasn't clear.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Since this is my device, I'd prefer to just be able to transfer whatever I want from wherever I want, without paying extra.

It's more of an issue than usual because I'm lending my desktop pc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any idea why my undownloaded purchases aren't showing up in my library? I'm pretty sure they should be available to stream like they are on an iPhone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way of recreating an iTunes library on a new computer? I have have all the music files, and iTunes files and directories, but I don't have the Windows installation I used iTunes on (I could recreate it, but it would be a PITA).

Mostly I'd just like to keep my play counts and likes.

e:had more success on my second try. we'll see if it finds all the files.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 7, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's no way to turn on shuffle/repeat from the iTunes "mini"player, is there?

smr posted:

If it helps any, the Apple Music preview on Windows has come a long way since launch. I couldn’t modify smart playlists, there was on 3rd party integration for Scrobbling, etc… that’s all been fixed since launch and I think it works pretty great now, or at least as great as Apple Music gets anywhere.

Smart playlists working might be enough for me to give it a try, because I loving loathe iTunes. I just don't want to blow up my library/break syncing. iTunes and Apple Music (the service) has given me so much trouble that I'm relatively content with things just sorta working, as they are now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TACD posted:

I foolishly tried to solve my duplicates problem by interacting with iTunes, and clicked File > Library > Show Duplicate Items. Now my 'Recently Added' playlist is stuck in song view mode and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the album view back… I'm so, so tired of dealing with this cursed loving application every time I want to listen to music :cry:

Don't think so

Show View Options =

I've been trying to figure this out too, but I'm stuck in Album view

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some imported music is being treated as if it was added in 1904 (the year)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quite possibly. I was using tagging software.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another day, another music issue.

Some songs on my phone are "not currently available in your country," despite these being my own files, synced through iTunes (I'm guessing it's a generic message when something's wrong; it's not the first time I've seen a warning message not be applicable).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently doing a backup and restore should help, but

iTUUUUNNNNNESS!! :bang:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Eccles posted:

This recently happened to me after switching to a new PC and restoring my iTunes library. The "fix" (it has been a few weeks and it still seems to be "fixed") was to delete those albums from iTunes, sync the phone so they were removed from the phone, then copy the exact same files from my backup into the "automatically add to iTunes Folder" to get them back into the desktop iTunes library, then sync the phone again.

Interestingly, this how I originally rebuilt my iTunes library on the new PC - I copied the files I wanted to keep from my backup into the "automatically add..." folder on the new PC. No idea why only some albums had this issue, and no idea why doing the exact same steps a second time fixed things.

I already had deleted and re-synced multiple times, to no avail, but after your post I checked my phone, and lo and behold apparently the music successful transferred last time I synced. :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I managed to get a new Apple Music trial, and it turns out that not only was my old Match library still online (not unexpected), but also iTunes was also uploading all my new music in the interim! As in, it was uploading my music during the period where I didn't have a sub! I know this because I reactivated my sub on my phone, and all my music was immediately available, new stuff included, without even turning on the pc that hosts the library.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ending an Apple Music subscription is always such a headache because randomly a percent of my personal, local music will act like it needs authorization (which it won't give me). Renaming the files sometimes works, because then it asks you to locate the files and plays them just fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

I could just delete them from my iTunes library and re-add them but I don't want to lose 15 years worth of my listening metadata.

e:okay some of these are corrupt iTunes Match downloads. Replacing them with my original files gets rid of the authorization request.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven’t updated to the new app for that reason (scared it’ll gently caress up syncing with my devices) but it’s hard to image the Music app somehow being worse than iTunes.